OT 18: Anti-Social Distancing

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

wap wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:46 am
Apex wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:51 am Happy Friday!!!

So looking forward to being off next week.
:nice:
:jelly:

Also, :hai: everybody.
:hai: Wap!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

:howdy: hosers! 🤓
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:46 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:20 am
:notbad:
Seriously would love to just pack up and hit the road; disappear for a while.
Pack up the fam with the camper and head for the Dalton!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Apex wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:48 am

Pack up the fam with the camper and head out West!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:20 am
Same, been trying to figure out how to make that work.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:54 am

Hitting the beach? I am off week after the upcoming one for my New England backpacking trip. Very :excited: .
That sounds so great. :megusta:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:02 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:57 am
Same, been trying to figure out how to make that work.
You've got a hotspot in the Jeep, :makeitso:

Also, the hotspot in the Trailcock still works... somehow. Is there a free trial I'm not aware of?
My Jeep doesn't have the hotspot because I got the poverty radio. I'm not aware of any trials, especially on a used vehicle, but it's possible it has a multi year trial perhaps?

My biggest issue is cell coverage. I need to be able to receive and place calls. There's a lot of the country where that's not possible...and even the hotspot wouldn't help because it uses cell service.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

The $20/mo unlimited hotspot in the Colorado is awesome. ZFG about paying that every month; it gets well used.
wap

Apex wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:28 am Looks like my return to the office is pushed back to September/late September. :notbad:
Sweet.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:48 am

:howdy: hosers! 🤓
Take off!
:lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:23 am The $20/mo unlimited hotspot in the Colorado is awesome. ZFG about paying that every month; it gets well used.
I paid it in my Colorado. Was absolutely worth it. My Colorado even got reception when the phones were toast. I liked that feature a lot.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:19 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:07 am
My Jeep doesn't have the hotspot because I got the poverty radio. I'm not aware of any trials, especially on a used vehicle, but it's possible it has a multi year trial perhaps?

My biggest issue is cell coverage. I need to be able to receive and place calls. There's a lot of the country where that's not possible...and even the hotspot wouldn't help because it uses cell service.
Sell the :haus: and vagabond it.

We're living in a simulation anyway; money's fake, time is made up, nothing matters except dying. :iono:

Also, 2019 MY FCA vehicles with the 4G ATT service have a 3 month/1GB trial, but... the vehicle's in-service date was over a year ago. :iono:

I'll just use it and :aintcare: until it disappears. It was clutch to have it in Brohio - Mohican Adventures was in a bowl of no service for the average cell phone user. The Jeep had service, though.
We're prepping the house for sale now, finishing up odds and ends so we can list quickly if need be. Vagabond is appealing, but work is tough. Would need to quit the job, which I'd love to do anyway.

Use that 4g for as long as you can. It's 5/7.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:57 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:54 am
We're prepping the house for sale now, finishing up odds and ends so we can list quickly if need be. Vagabond is appealing, but work is tough. Would need to quit the job, which I'd love to do anyway.

I'd also willingly sell my place once we finish the porch. I have no reason to stay here now.
Sell :haus:
Payoff TrailCock.
Hit the road as the next YouTube overlanding family.
Profit.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:54 am

I'd also willingly sell my place once we finish the porch. I have no reason to stay here now.
Only trouble is, you have to sleep somewhere. I did the nomad thing for 5-6 years and actually loved that life, but it is far more expensive than just living in a house. My CC bills were around $100K/year. A lot of that wouldn't be needed, but still, you have to eat, sleep, shower, etc. and it takes resources to gain access to all of those things.

I suspect we'll see more people getting creative with living situations, 20 somethings working remote can move back in with mom and dad :crang: style and such. Pretty much all of my NYC dwelling friends are :gtfo: and taking their NYC salaries to work remotely back in NC or other cheaper places, given the glitz of NYC is dead for the time being.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:08 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:00 pm

Sell :haus:
Payoff TrailCock.
Hit the road as the next YouTube overlanding family.
Profit.
Trailcock is disappearing as fast as I can make that happen.
:sass:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:11 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:01 pm

Only trouble is, you have to sleep somewhere. I did the nomad thing for 5-6 years and actually loved that life, but it is far more expensive than just living in a house. My CC bills were around $100K/year. A lot of that wouldn't be needed, but still, you have to eat, sleep, shower, etc. and it takes resources to gain access to all of those things.

I suspect we'll see more people getting creative with living situations, 20 somethings working remote can move back in with mom and dad :crang: style and such. Pretty much all of my NYC dwelling friends are :gtfo: and taking their NYC salaries to work remotely back in NC or other cheaper places, given the glitz of NYC is dead for the time being.
I'd just move in with my grandparents. Help them pay for expenses and take care of the property until they inevitably pass away - then sell the property, split the proceeds with the family, and figger it out.

Polebarn and a tiny house sounds pretty ideal on some remote parcel somewhere.
Yeah that would be :notbad: on all accounts. I sort of wish we were in the more rural outskirts now as they are great for cycling and driving, but I will probably be happy to be in-town again when the pandemic ends in fie years :lolol:

The grandparents thing sounds like kind of a win-win if Tori is down with it. Such room for :pussy: activities and it would be nice to help them out since it's a larger property.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:12 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:09 pm

Seriously though.
:pouroneout:

But it makes sense... I am sometimes :butwhy: did we get a $700 car note???
ChrisoftheNorth

You do have to live somewhere...but now the opportunity to explore cheaper options is real.

We will be paying $1k/mo in taxes alone next year. We don't have kids to send to school, all city resources have been suspended for the virus and there's talk about adding an HOA type fee to use them next year because of the extra cost for cleaning and whatnot. The ONLY reason to live here is close proximity to jobs for commuting, but if that's not a thing for the forseeable future (which is what has been communicated to us) then why the hell stay here and continue paying the :fullretard: costs?

Fortunately, there's plenty of families that see the value in it, so real estate prices are remaining strong for now.
Apex

Apex wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:09 pm

Seriously though.
Oh I get it, I still have to bust :balls: sometimes. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:14 pm

Seriously though.

But that's your only car loan between the two of you right? So really, it's not THAT bad.

I do think there's value in having a newer reliable vehicle right now.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:17 pm

You do have to live somewhere...but now the opportunity to explore cheaper options is real.

We will be paying $1k/mo in taxes alone next year. We don't have kids to send to school, all city resources have been suspended for the virus and there's talk about adding an HOA type fee to use them next year because of the extra cost for cleaning and whatnot. The ONLY reason to live here is close proximity to jobs for commuting, but if that's not a thing for the forseeable future (which is what has been communicated to us) then why the hell stay here and continue paying the :fullretard: costs?

Fortunately, there's plenty of families that see the value in it, so real estate prices are remaining strong for now.
Yeah, $1K/month in taxes is fucking brutal man. That's like 60% of my mortgage payment :mindblown: It's an interesting idea to be sure.

One cool thing as well - I think many people will overtime see the light in what you're talking about. Many companies will likely allow remote work more than they have in the past and people will want to move to nice places to live. If you can get in now prices on housing might go up over time, good opportunity for Infamous if she indeed becomes a realtor.

I think a lot of people are looking to get into real estate now due to all that's happened, so getting creative and moving into a niche market as an "early adopter" might be a good way to get a leg up on the competition. Most people won't think about it that much and will just try to do it wherever they've been - problematic if the area had a lot of laid off people becoming realtors.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:27 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:14 pm

But that's your only car loan between the two of you right? So really, it's not THAT bad.

:dat:

For the most part, I don't care much. Like [user not found] said, we are lucky to have our jobs, and the wife's is actually up like 15+% in pay, while that amount far from makes up for how much mine is down, it's still enough overall.

I actually kind of like having the cash sunk into one car as now we have something really fun to do stuff together and the :poorvette: is just my cheap, fun thing. I drove it today for the first time in over a week to by a caliper at Harbor Freight. It was a :fuckyeah: experience.

I thought about :troywax: on some ratcheting wrenches but was too :scrooge:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:38 pm

Yeah, I'm not going out and buying a Ford Ranger, that's for sure.
You always have Tori's MINI for a reliable/new car. It's weird, we are back to the 1940s where one car per family is :thisisfine:
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:38 pm

Yeah, I'm not going out and buying a :povertytruck:, that's for sure.
That thing is easily in the running for Top Ten DFD POS for sure.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:34 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:17 pm

Yeah, $1K/month in taxes is fucking brutal man. That's like 60% of my mortgage payment :mindblown: It's an interesting idea to be sure.

One cool thing as well - I think many people will overtime see the light in what you're talking about. Many companies will likely allow remote work more than they have in the past and people will want to move to nice places to live. If you can get in now prices on housing might go up over time, good opportunity for Infamous if she indeed becomes a realtor.

I think a lot of people are looking to get into real estate now due to all that's happened, so getting creative and moving into a niche market as an "early adopter" might be a good way to get a leg up on the competition. Most people won't think about it that much and will just try to do it wherever they've been - problematic if the area had a lot of laid off people becoming realtors.
Taxes are jumping this year because the city decided to use the garage as an excuse to reassess the entire property. I appealed as far as I could to the state and was just told :stfu:

Honestly, the tax situation is what has sent me over the edge...final appeal decision came back last week. That much is absolutely insane for what we actually use, and I just can't justify it anymore.

The point of moving would be to reduce costs DRASTICALLY. We have an opportunity to buy a fixer upper for significantly less than our house would sell for, so we could take the proceeds to buy my truck out and fix the house up they way we want AND have cash left over to invest in some ways. Taxes are a quarter of what we pay now, and the mortgage would be cheap. With low total monthly obligation, :tits: doesn't need to sell 30 houses a year, and I don't NEED to work :waxer: stress jobs to make ends meet, so if I get axed, it's not the end of the world.