Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:00 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:20 am Only way I’ll stay with the company if he gets handed that manager’s position is if they pull me up to fill the supervisor role. I’d take the extra money and hope they have him take some management courses or something and that he gets better as time goes on. We’ll see what happens, but I’ll be spending some time this week updating my resume.
What happened to that Washington shipyard?
No openings up there that I’d fit into right now. I need to get back to my program management classes and get my PMI cert to open more doors.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:02 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:00 pm

What happened to that Washington shipyard?
No openings up there that I’d fit into right now. I need to get back to my program management classes and get my PMI cert to open more doors.
Oh gotcha. Was hoping for a :meat: when I visit my friend there.
SAWCE

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:07 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:02 pm

When you heading out to visit? I have friends in Seattle and Tacoma so always down for a WA trip
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:11 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:54 pm

Get lookin'. TD was hiring a lot of positions a little bit ago.

I think that type of "bust my ass for nothing" situation happens a lot in many different jobs. Why I usually go above the requirement but not worlds beyond. Because the people that do just get taken advantage of.
:dat:

Especially in a corp environment, just stay in the top 30% and you're fine. Smaller orgs seem to give more recognition but it doesn't necessarily show up on your paycheck. I think once you're in management it also gets noticed more.

:ohwell: I'm not really :excited: on moving up the corporate ladder anyway. More misery to buy more pointless shit and commit to higher overhead.
This can be avoided but it sure does happen a lot. The preferable route is to absorb the misery and stack the cash.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:56 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:48 pm
I love product management. I love innovating. I love getting people excited about products. But ultimately, I love bringing things to market that people just WANT TO BUY. I'm motivated by making things that improve people's lives and make them excited to purchase. I hate buying things, so when it's something that I'm :fuckyeah: about, it makes me feel good. That's my job as a product manager, to make customers :fuckyeah: with products.
Where’s my diesel, manual, 2door Gladiator? :waiting:

:lolol:
:amazing:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:48 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:11 pm

:dat:

Especially in a corp environment, just stay in the top 30% and you're fine. Smaller orgs seem to give more recognition but it doesn't necessarily show up on your paycheck. I think once you're in management it also gets noticed more.

:ohwell: I'm not really :excited: on moving up the corporate ladder anyway. More misery to buy more pointless shit and commit to higher overhead.
This can be avoided but it sure does happen a lot. The preferable route is to absorb the misery and stack the cash.
Problem is you spend the cash in an attempt to deal with the misery. It’s a difficult never ending cycle.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:46 pm

When you heading out to visit? I have friends in Seattle and Tacoma so always down for a WA trip
Not sure. He's not moving there until October so probably next year in the spring or something.
SAWCE

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:05 pm

Not sure. He's not moving there until October so probably next year in the spring or something.
Coolio. Keep me posted. I’m already planning on being out there at some point in the winter or spring for snowboarding.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:59 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:48 pm

Problem is you spend the cash in an attempt to deal with the misery. It’s a difficult never ending cycle.
:iono: we definitely have spent more as we've made more but also drastically increased the savings rate and a lot of the higher spending is the stupid :haus: which is kind of like saving as well.

I think I'm in a good spot, pretty satisfied with the income versus effort here. I don't really enjoy the job but it's low stress at least for now. I will likely stay the fuck out of management and be :thisisfine:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I know some cool federal courthouses we can visit in Portland.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

razr390 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:28 pm

I know some cool federal courthouses we can visit in Portland.
:iswydt:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:59 pm
:iono: we definitely have spent more as we've made more but also drastically increased the savings rate and a lot of the higher spending is the stupid :haus: which is kind of like saving as well.

I think I'm in a good spot, pretty satisfied with the income versus effort here. I don't really enjoy the job but it's low stress at least for now. I will likely stay the fuck out of management and be :thisisfine:
Yea, I'm going to ride my current job in this situation out for as long as possible.

Need to figure out how to cut costs :doe: , will probably end up moving or something.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:47 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:17 pm

Yea, I'm going to ride my current job in this situation out for as long as possible.

Need to figure out how to cut costs :doe: , will probably end up moving or something.
With the 'VID housing price increases, we seem to be getting paid to live in our house so far. According to ZIllow, we are at $2K/month appreciation since buying. Kind of cool I guess but everything else is just getting more expensive as well.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:56 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:47 am

With the 'VID housing price increases, we seem to be getting paid to live in our house so far. According to ZIllow, we are at $2K/month appreciation since buying. Kind of cool I guess but everything else is just getting more expensive as well.
Hot housing markets are insane right now because inventory is so low. Now is a great time to cash out on a house...assuming you can find something cheap somewhere. That’s the challenge.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:42 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:56 am

Hot housing markets are insane right now because inventory is so low. Now is a great time to cash out on a house...assuming you can find something cheap somewhere. That’s the challenge.
:word:

I'd be hesitant to make major changes like house :plac: when this year is an anomaly, who knows if/when things will go back to how they used to be. I have lamented that our city house is dumb because there's now no benefit to being here with the 'VID and we could've gotten a much nicer house/garage for the money out of town... but eventually this too shall pass. Also, :tits: is now commuting daily again, so at least her drive is quite short.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:24 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:42 am

I'd be hesitant to make major changes like house :plac: when this year is an anomaly, who knows if/when things will go back to how they used to be. I have lamented that our city house is dumb because there's now no benefit to being here with the 'VID and we could've gotten a much nicer house/garage for the money out of town... but eventually this too shall pass. Also, :tits: is now commuting daily again, so at least her drive is quite short.
We might be using this opportunity for a life change. :tits: can't find a job so she's getting into real estate, which she'll do great at...but could be done anywhere where there's market demand. I don't need to be in the city for now, so could easily move somewhere we really want to be for cheap and continue making my current salary for the foreseeable future, while I network and find my way into a new industry.

We've never been so free to go wherever we want.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Honestly, home ownershit in an appreciating city is a blessing in disguise. It is hard work to upkeep, and costs money to live in but rent does as well and it is nice to know that you can sell your place for real inflationary growth and cash out on the portion of debt that was paid off over time.

2007-9 was a total shit show with banks handing money to people that didn't deserve it and loans bigger then the property values that they were issued for. Now the system sounds more like what we have here and our housing market is really strong.

There are cases for renting in regions that have really high taxes and where home prices barely budge in value to cover the cost of ownership, that's just straight :nope:

Also buying affordable middle class homes makes more sense to me then higher end homes (even though I didn't follow my own advice here), mainly because there is more of a buyer pool for cheaper purchases.

Dis just my opinion man, four house purchases later :fullretard:
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:06 am Honestly, home ownershit in an appreciating city is a blessing in disguise. It is hard work to upkeep, and costs money to live in but rent does as well and it is nice to know that you can sell your place for real inflationary growth and cash out on the portion of debt that was paid off over time.

2007-9 was a total shit show with banks handing money to people that didn't deserve it and loans bigger then the property values that they were issued for. Now the system sounds more like what we have here and our housing market is really strong.

There are cases for renting in regions that have really high taxes and where home prices barely budge in value to cover the cost of ownership, that's just straight :nope:

Also buying affordable middle class homes makes more sense to me then higher end homes (even though I didn't follow my own advice here), mainly because there is more of a buyer pool for cheaper purchases.

Real estate is cyclical, and very dependent on region/location. Here, housing values have peaked. Every real estate person we talk to confirms that. We bought our house well under market value, dumped quite a bit into it, but still stand to make a nice profit in the current market. That profit won't change for a few years, and could go down when the auto industry hits full :nuke: so getting out while the getting's are good HERE can make sense.

I wouldn't rent something, just move to a cheaper area.

We're going to find out how selling a higher end home in a :fancy: area goes. This would be our first, but our last house set a sales record at the time for the city we were in.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:06 am Honestly, home ownershit in an appreciating city is a blessing in disguise. It is hard work to upkeep, and costs money to live in but rent does as well and it is nice to know that you can sell your place for real inflationary growth and cash out on the portion of debt that was paid off over time.

Yeah, you are definitely right... we sold my wife's townhouse in 2018 in hopes that the next recession would offer lower housing prices, cash out on top, all that. It seems like the next recession is in full force and it has pushed up housing prices. Further proof that you can't predict markets. I think stocks generally will do better over time than real estate but real estate offers you a place to live, stocks do not. So it's an "investment" that also saves you $X,XXX/month in rent.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:12 am

Real estate is cyclical, and very dependent on region/location. Here, housing values have peaked. Every real estate person we talk to confirms that. We bought our house well under market value, dumped quite a bit into it, but still stand to make a nice profit in the current market. That profit won't change for a few years, and could go down when the auto industry hits full :nuke: so getting out while the getting's are good HERE can make sense.

We're going to find out how selling a higher end home in a :fancy: area goes. This would be our first, but our last house set a sales record at the time for the city we were in.
Disagree on this... while it can have ups/downs, it actually just trends up forever over time. We are now well past '07 levels and while it could dip at some point... in 20 years it will be higher than now. If you look at it historically I think it actually just sort of paces with inflation over time with some adjustments as certain areas fall in/out of favor.

If the auto industry really :nuke: at some point I imagine Detroit values would be fucked. Here the big industry is banking, don't think that will go away in the near term.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:15 am

Yeah, you are definitely right... we sold my wife's townhouse in 2018 in hopes that the next recession would offer lower housing prices, cash out on top, all that. It seems like the next recession is in full force and it has pushed up housing prices. Further proof that you can't predict markets. I think stocks generally will do better over time than real estate but real estate offers you a place to live, stocks do not. So it's an "investment" that also saves you $X,XXX/month in rent.
While officially in a "recession" people aren't really feeling it on the large scale yet. Housing inventory is a record lows in our area, so even if there's less buyers, there's even less houses to buy which is driving up values.

Once the effects of the trumpbux unemployment stimulus ending are felt, we could be facing some serious :nuke:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:18 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:12 am

Disagree on this... while it can have ups/downs, it actually just trends up forever over time. We are now well past '07 levels and while it could dip at some point... in 20 years it will be higher than now. If you look at it historically I think it actually just sort of paces with inflation over time with some adjustments as certain areas fall in/out of favor.

If the auto industry really :nuke: at some point I imagine Detroit values would be fucked. Here the big industry is banking, don't think that will go away in the near term.
Real estate is super region dependent based on industry, but values don't just go up year after year forever. There will be down cycles and up cycles, we've just been in one of the longest up cycles in history. You're right that the long term gains are mostly around inflation, but at least here houses still aren't up to what they were in 07. Very close, but not past it. Values will tank again once the auto industry shits the bed, which is another cyclical industry. Detroit is just screwed.

From what it sounds like, Charlotte is growing in sustainable industries like finance and tech, so it'll probably be more resistant to major economic fluctuation.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:24 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:18 am

Real estate is super region dependent based on industry, but values don't just go up year after year forever. There will be down cycles and up cycles, we've just been in one of the longest up cycles in history. You're right that the long term gains are mostly around inflation, but at least here houses still aren't up to what they were in 07. Very close, but not past it. Values will tank again once the auto industry shits the bed, which is another cyclical industry. Detroit is just screwed.

From what it sounds like, Charlotte is growing in sustainable industries like finance and tech, so it'll probably be more resistant to major economic fluctuation.
:dat: having a balanced job pool in a bigger city helps a lot. Can't rely on a one pony show when it comes to home sustainability, if that is the case I'd be about selling high too.

I do believe that areas like that will continue to enjoy valuation growth since inflation is about to get even hotter then it was. Trumpbux and Trudumbs' CERB packages are designed to prop up in challenging times but just as importantly to devalue money to keep people buying while the prices are "low", when the dust settles it will be have vs have nots and I'd rather be in a healthy real estate market then not.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:01 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:24 am

We might be using this opportunity for a life change. :tits: can't find a job so she's getting into real estate, which she'll do great at...but could be done anywhere where there's market demand. I don't need to be in the city for now, so could easily move somewhere we really want to be for cheap and continue making my current salary for the foreseeable future, while I network and find my way into a new industry.

Michelle Allen has closed 30 lakefront properties in Traverse City in the last 60 days.
"Don't Fuck Around, Call Infamous"
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:31 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:01 am

Michelle Allen has closed 30 lakefront properties in Traverse City in the last 60 days.
"Don't Fuck Around, Call Infamous"
:dat: :dat: :dat: