Johnny_P's Street Parking Palooza

Strut your greasy stuff!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:23 pm https://youtu.be/HQCEYavlIhs

This is the perfect spec imo, for everything but the price
I'm about the Adventure spec, burn out the tires at the mall for 4 yrs and get better ones when the time comes. It seems to me like the added $ just puts the price slightly too high for what it is. Adventure wheels look kind of nice too with the machined face IMO
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:24 pm

I'm about the Adventure spec, burn out the tires at the mall for 4 yrs and get better ones when the time comes. It seems to me like the added $ just puts the price slightly too high for what it is. Adventure wheels look kind of nice too with the machined face IMO
4 years = 8 :plac: lives
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:43 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:24 pm

4 years = 8 :plac: lives
:lolol: so true 👍
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

The hybrid is faster, better MPG, better warranty and still AWD. There is no reason to get the fake off road trim of this thing.

And new is NGH.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:54 pm

The hybrid is faster, better MPG, better warranty and still AWD. There is no reason to get the fake off road trim of this thing.

And new is NGH.
I like the way the off-road one looks :doe: :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:44 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:54 pm

And new is NGH.
I like the way the off-road one looks :doe: :iono:
They do look cooler. But the only real difference are the off roady cheeks of the adventure trim. Other than the front bumper there really isn’t much of a difference.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:24 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:45 am

Will be :sad: if the STi goes, but given where you live I totally get it. Still thinking I may get another one someday, it'd be the perfect fun car for a dad with kiddos, especially when it isn't a daily. If I get something as a weekend/fun car without a usable back seat, the chances to drive it regularly will be cut down dramatically.
:dat: and the STI isn't even that expensive, prob worth 22k tops so the camry is another 40% on top of that. And way less fun. I'd keep the STI :aintcare:
By the time he actually sells it... I may be in line for it :lolol:
Johnny_P

Car is at scoobydoo dealership, getting an oil change and tire patch.

I'm under the mileage for the oil change they listed on my window sticker. But over the time. Last one was January 2019 :yikes:

I drove less than 3k miles in a year and a half.

Played around with a tuned A3 on the way there. Fucker was fast. DSG I think. I edged him out but he kept pace surprisingly well. I don't think I was fully WOT and was shifting at 6k, so maybe it had more go left in it, but surprising to say the least.

They paved route 70 in NJ. It's smooth now. Man, this car is a damn blast in less urban settings with wider roads and smoother driving surfaces.
Johnny_P

Verdict is in on that front tire. Nail in tread, right next to sidewall. New tire incoming.

Fortunately, since I don't drive, I don't need two, just need the one.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:00 pm Verdict is in on that front tire. Nail in tread, right next to sidewall. New tire incoming.

Is it ever not “too close to the sidewall”? Also doesn’t it mean several tires because otherwise the “awd system will fail”
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:18 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:00 pm Verdict is in on that front tire. Nail in tread, right next to sidewall. New tire incoming.

Is it ever not “too close to the sidewall”? Also doesn’t it mean several tires because otherwise the “awd system will fail”
I asked that, but apparently tread depth is acceptable elsewhere to just install a single tire.

In the past I've plugged tires myself. But being this is a :stig: car made for higher speeds and I'm a little more brutal with it, I figured a patch is best way to go. Patch means tire shop, and if they refuse to patch it I'm SOL.

:ohwell:

The tires only have like 6-7k on them.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:21 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:18 pm

I asked that, but apparently tread depth is acceptable elsewhere to just install a single tire.

In the past I've plugged tires myself. But being this is a :stig: car made for higher speeds and I'm a little more brutal with it, I figured a patch is best way to go. Patch means tire shop, and if they refuse to patch it I'm SOL.

Yea I hear ya. No other issues on the scoobie?
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:25 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:21 pm

Someone slapped a wad of chewed blow-pop on the bumper the other day. Came off fine.

Nah only "issue" is the glove box latch sometimes buzzes, which I fixed with just a microfiber towel somewhat wedged in the side of it, and the front tweeter grilles sometimes rattle in extreme temperatures. I've had varying degrees of success with quelling that one, but the shop that fixed my car from the motorcycle dent incident removed the grilles to do the work and the buzzing is back, so I gotta play with felt tape a bit more.

By this time in its life, the GTI required 2 coolant fixes, a water pump, clutch, flywheel, door seals, spark plugs, PCV valve, 4 brake light bulbs, a battery, and 2 sunroofs.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:38 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:25 pm

Someone slapped a wad of chewed blow-pop on the bumper the other day. Came off fine.

Nah only "issue" is the glove box latch sometimes buzzes, which I fixed with just a microfiber towel somewhat wedged in the side of it, and the front tweeter grilles sometimes rattle in extreme temperatures. I've had varying degrees of success with quelling that one, but the shop that fixed my car from the motorcycle dent incident removed the grilles to do the work and the buzzing is back, so I gotta play with felt tape a bit more.

By this time in its life, the GTI required 2 coolant fixes, a water pump, clutch, flywheel, door seals, spark plugs, PCV valve, and 2 sunroofs.
Impressive list on the GTI.

How many miles on the scoobie ?
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:42 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:38 pm

By this time in its life, the GTI required 2 coolant fixes, a water pump, clutch, flywheel, door seals, spark plugs, PCV valve, and 2 sunroofs.

14k I think. Maybe 15.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:47 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:42 pm

14k I think. Maybe 15.
Yea that thing is so fresh still epic. You've had it for 4 years now ? Damn time flies.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:48 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:47 pm

14k I think. Maybe 15.
Yea that thing is so fresh still epic. You've had it for 4 years now ? Damn time flies.
Bought it end of November 2016. So 4.5 years now.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:50 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:48 pm

#impressive
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:12 am Car is at scoobydoo dealership, getting an oil change and tire patch.

I'm under the mileage for the oil change they listed on my window sticker. But over the time. Last one was January 2019 :yikes:

I drove less than 3k miles in a year and a half.

Played around with a tuned A3 on the way there. Fucker was fast. DSG I think. I edged him out but he kept pace surprisingly well. I don't think I was fully WOT and was shifting at 6k, so maybe it had more go left in it, but surprising to say the least.

They paved route 70 in NJ. It's smooth now. Man, this car is a damn blast in less urban settings with wider roads and smoother driving surfaces.
sounds like he might have a jb4 and not like an APR, Revo, etc. tune

Also with the smooth roads, I always appreciate my car more on the occasion. Kind of a weird feeling when the car is not exposed to those roads as much.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:57 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:50 pm

#impressive
:dat: I think the last time I drove less than 15k in a year was probably in high school. :hue: :sad:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

Spend $300 on an oil change and new tire. Don’t even wipe the wheel down. And give me a nice massive scratch on the fender plus some wonderful paint chips at the lug nut area. Clearly gunned on, I should probably try and loosen them on my own before I actually need to work on it.

Yay. I fucking hate cars. I can’t think of a single other item that brings so much hate, frustration, and anger into my life.

Not sure what to do about the scratch. I’m 99% positive it’s mostly just tire wax and only a few light scratches that will come out with an entry level detail. I can’t exactly do anything about it because we are having a kid in 3 weeks and are in full lock down based on recs from the hospital.

Fuck all this.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:36 pm Spend $300 on an oil change and new tire. Don’t even wipe the wheel down. And give me a nice massive scratch on the fender plus some wonderful paint chips at the lug nut area. Clearly gunned on, I should probably try and loosen them on my own before I actually need to work on it.

Yay. I fucking hate cars. I can’t think of a single other item that brings so much hate, frustration, and anger into my life.

Not sure what to do about the scratch. I’m 99% positive it’s mostly just tire wax and only a few light scratches that will come out with an entry level detail. I can’t exactly do anything about it because we are having a kid in 3 weeks and are in full lock down based on recs from the hospital.

Fuck all this.
What the shit?

The scratch does look like it'll buff out fine, but damn man. That's :|
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Damn Johnny, that’s some awful treatment. Hope that comes off easily.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:21 pm Damn Johnny, that’s some awful treatment. Hope that comes off easily.
Shit like this is precisely why I leave the city limits to get work done on my car. I trust exactly zero shops in the city. Now I apparently need to go farther out than a 30 minute drive.

Other examples:
-Bought 4 tires on the GTI. Shop charged full amount, only replaced 2 of them. Got the other 2 installed, came out to car, found all the center caps destroyed. Took a week to get new caps in.
-Had an oil change and rotation done on the Focus. Shop gunned the wheels on so hard that when I eventually got a flat, and tried to fix it, lugs were shearing straight off the car. Took it to a tire shop where they ended up cutting the entire wheel off the car. Car was out of commission for an entire week.
-Lisa's Cmax needed roof repair because a ladder fell on it. Shop replaced the roof. Dicked up the entire climate control installation, dash installation, headliner installation (black marks everywhere), and the passenger side sun visor was installed backwards.
-Countless dirty as fuck steering wheels and shift knobs after service. Countless "your rear brake pads are super low and need to be replaced" when there's a ton of friction material left.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:53 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:36 pm Spend $300 on an oil change and new tire. Don’t even wipe the wheel down. And give me a nice massive scratch on the fender plus some wonderful paint chips at the lug nut area. Clearly gunned on, I should probably try and loosen them on my own before I actually need to work on it.

Fuck all this.
What the shit?

The scratch does look like it'll buff out fine, but damn man. That's :|
I'm surprised they let a car out of their service bay with a wheel that looks like a sasquatch nutted all over it. Let alone the scratched fender.