Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Interesting...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:09 pmInteresting...
There are probably so many things you do in your role that there's no way you could put it all in a page or two. If you want a job, see what their main needs are and highlight the ones you have experience in, even if that is only 5% of your current job.
Apex

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:16 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:09 pmInteresting...
There are probably so many things you do in your role that there's no way you could put it all in a page or two. If you want a job, see what their main needs are and highlight the ones you have experience in, even if that is only 5% of your current job.
Oh absolutely.
I’m viewing this from my role, but it is far more specialized than say a marketing or sales role for example. I can see needing to make sure you include some buzzwords from a particular posting in those roles.

Mine, if you don’t already have the acronyms in your resume you really don’t belong in the role.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:47 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:16 pm

Oh absolutely.
I’m viewing this from my role, but it is far more specialized than say a marketing or sales role for example. I can see needing to make sure you include some buzzwords from a particular posting in those roles.

Mine, if you don’t already have the acronyms in your resume you really don’t belong in the role.
But say you wanted to get more into a different role...you can pull keywords from the listing and match them with experiences you have from your current or past roles. Like griff said, it might only be 5% of your time, but if you did it, you did it.

I have a "master" resume that's 5 pages long. Each experience probably has 15-20 bullets. When I apply to a job, I strip out the ones that don't apply and amp up any left that need it, getting things down to 1-1.5 pages max.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:56 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:47 pm

Oh absolutely.

But say you wanted to get more into a different role...you can pull keywords from the listing and match them with experiences you have from your current or past roles. Like griff said, it might only be 5% of your time, but if you did it, you did it.

I have a "master" resume that's 5 pages long. Each experience probably has 15-20 bullets. When I apply to a job, I strip out the ones that don't apply and amp up any left that need it, getting things down to 1-1.5 pages max.
Hmmm this is a really good idea. It could save a lot of time and keep you from forgetting something :impressive: you did.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:21 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:24 pm

Yes to all...

Found a few more interesting jobs. One with Campbell's soup. Another with Turkey Hill (local-ish company that does iced teas, dairy products, ice cream, etc). Some others that seem interesting.
I've heard great things about Campbell's
Wholesale employee pricing on spaghettio’s? Sign me the fuck up
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

I think that master resume thing is a :neat: idea. That way you can always just add more experience and then copy/paste relevant jobs/skills without clogging up the resume.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:41 pm
I plug my resume full of keywords from the listing. Humans don't actually look at resumes, there's software that filters first and passes on resumes that fit the criteria recruiters are looking for. Which is depressing knowing that most of the time, job applications go completely nowhere basically.
:dat: is key for bigger companies for sure. I generally at least make some tweaks for each job.

Smaller companies where they actually read shit, you want to always highlight the specifics of your history most relevant to the position you're applying for. The offer I got last year was at an audio console company specializing in broadcast, so I gave a lot of focus to my experience working for a broadcast audio manufacturer even though that was the job I had prior to the current. My current role I just left in my sales numbers/success but didn't really highlight product specifics as much because they don't relate.

Cover stories are even more custom, IMO. They are there to "tell your story" and sell why you are the best for this role, which tends to be very specific. Like when I got the Bang Bus job, I highlighted having towing experience and being a bit of a home wrench. While the actual job was more about sales/engineering of audio and video hardware, those random bits that I'd never really have on my resume, did make me stand out among audio people applying to a gig like that.

I think Johnny is doing it right, but it is absolutely time consuming and a ton of work.
This is how I’m approaching it. Or if I am missing some part of qualifications I speak to how I will make up for it.

The buzz words are usually really easy to spot. There is no way anyone who is going through an HR department or hiring company is reading anything on your resume. The best you will get is a hiring manager glancing at your resume 10 minutes before your interview call.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:30 pm You guys change resumes for each job? I’ve never thought about this but heard people do it. What kinda stuff do you change?
Not a ton of stuff on it but yeah, add or remove industry specific terminology, throw words and phrases from the listing into the resume, maybe emphasize or reduce a section based on relevance.

Like if there are 15 qualifications listed and 20 words from the job description you better plug at least half of those actual words or phrases into there.

Like CMMS. Computerized maintenance management system. Every industrial facility has one. Anyone hiring someone would know that anyone in a maintenance department has used one. But if the listing says that on it you better have that exact term in there because the computer can’t discern that since you referenced “work order” it means you utilized a CMMS.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:44 am I think that master resume thing is a :neat: idea. That way you can always just add more experience and then copy/paste relevant jobs/skills without clogging up the resume.
Yep, and if you come up with a new skill for a certain job app, add it to the master so it's there for later. I find it really great for keeping track of all the things you've done in a job.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

I need to find a way to rewire my brain to just STFU and put my 40 in and leave.
There is zero incentive for me to do anything more, and no one listens to anything I say. I can present a process and it gets immediately shot down as stupid. Fast forward a few months and some old lady presents the exact same idea and it is met with applause and accolades of how great it is.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:07 pm I need to find a way to rewire my brain to just STFU and put my 40 in and leave.
There is zero incentive for me to do anything more, and no one listens to anything I say. I can present a process and it gets immediately shot down as stupid. Fast forward a few months and some old lady presents the exact same idea and it is met with applause and accolades of how great it is.
:sad:

What happened man? It seems like a few months ago you loved your job? Change in management or something?
Apex

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:32 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:07 pm I need to find a way to rewire my brain to just STFU and put my 40 in and leave.

What happened man? It seems like a few months ago you loved your job? Change in management or something?
4+ months of 80-100 hour weeks busting my ass to get shit done. It only resulted in me realizing that no one gives a shit about what I do.
Only to have the company bring in an old black lady to be my new boss and fill the open spot above me. Dat white privilege.

I really do enjoy my field, but this shit pisses me off. I’m tired of hearing “because you’re a white male” as the fucking reason why I can’t make a move.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:40 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:32 pm

4+ months of 80-100 hour weeks busting my ass to get shit done. It only resulted in me realizing that no one gives a shit about what I do.
Only to have the company bring in an old black lady to be my new boss and fill the open spot above me. Dat white privilege.

I really do enjoy my field, but this shit pisses me off. I’m tired of hearing “because you’re a white male” as the fucking reason why I can’t make a move.
Get lookin'. TD was hiring a lot of positions a little bit ago.

I think that type of "bust my ass for nothing" situation happens a lot in many different jobs. Why I usually go above the requirement but not worlds beyond. Because the people that do just get taken advantage of.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:54 pm

I think that type of "bust my ass for nothing" situation happens a lot in many different jobs. Why I usually go above the requirement but not worlds beyond. Because the people that do just get taken advantage of.
I might need to expand my geographic region a bit, but north jersey didn’t have much. And a few banks I looked at specifically didn’t have anything in my world at the moment.
Something will pop up.
razr390

I’ve been kind of like that lately. Not in the same exact scenario but it’s been fairly quiet in my region and I just do what I need to do and dedicate the rest of my energy/time to the :baby: and wifey
razr390

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:57 pm

I might need to expand my geographic region a bit, but north jersey didn’t have much. And a few banks I looked at specifically didn’t have anything in my world at the moment.
Something will pop up.
Are you willing to relocate? You’re still in prime candidacy for that. Munchkin not in school school and you’re renting. Look for other parts of the country
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:dat:

Especially in a corp environment, just stay in the top 30% and you're fine. Smaller orgs seem to give more recognition but it doesn't necessarily show up on your paycheck. I think once you're in management it also gets noticed more.

:ohwell: I'm not really :excited: on moving up the corporate ladder anyway. More misery to buy more pointless shit and commit to higher overhead.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:11 pm

Especially in a corp environment, just stay in the top 30% and you're fine. Smaller orgs seem to give more recognition but it doesn't necessarily show up on your paycheck. I think once you're in management it also gets noticed more.

:ohwell: I'm not really :excited: on moving up the corporate ladder anyway. More misery to buy more pointless shit and commit to higher overhead.
Yeah I would like the pay of a management position, but I could be just fine without the hassle of it. Just gotta find where your lines of work responsibility/pay and happiness away from work intersect.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:15 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:11 pm

Yeah I would like the pay of a management position, but I could be just fine without the hassle of it. Just gotta find where your lines of work responsibility/pay and happiness away from work intersect.

High level individual contributor job in sales or engineering is easily $100-150K which I am good with where I live. If I had :baby: or something I might want more maybe? :iono: $150-200K household income is a dece life where I live, especially compared to the way I grew up which was a few rungs down the middle class ladder from that.
Apex

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:25 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:15 pm

High level individual contributor job in sales or engineering is easily $100-150K which I am good with where I live. If I had :baby: or something I might want more maybe? :iono: $150-200K household income is a dece life where I live, especially compared to the way I grew up which was a few rungs down the middle class ladder from that.
I’m happy with my income now, but this jerb move really opened my eyes to how strong I am. I will do better than what I’m currently at, just need to find the right spot.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:28 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:25 pm

I’m happy with my income now, but this jerb move really opened my eyes to how strong I am. I will do better than what I’m currently at, just need to find the right spot.
Then that was a smart job move IMO. Now it's just the matter of patience finding the right place.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:35 pm

Then that was a smart job move IMO. Now it's just the matter of patience finding the right place.
Do minimum to get by at current place and treat it like a paid job search :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:05 pm
Do minimum to get by at current place and treat it like a paid job search :iono:
Exactly.
Apex

Yep. It was 100% the right move to make a year ago. Now we see what the future brings.