Jeeponomics 201: Toledo Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:18 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:52 pm
Turned over 10k yesterday. Has been flawless.

And so no, it certainly does not deserve that terrible name.
:yikes: Btw any rear swaybar end link issues, or is it just FORUM OFFROAD bros snapping them by posting excessive flex pics?

My dad's 300s has got close to 40k miles. 0 issues... Even though JD powers rated chrysler near the END of the list... :lol:
Swaybar endlink issues? Not here, but I also haven't wheeled it much with the virus and whatnot. 99% all highway/city miles so far. Yes, I'm :| in that, but the truck has been flawless for 10k miles.

Wife's JL is back to having starting issues that make ZERO sense. It'll start fine for her to leave the house, then won't start again when she goes to leave wherever she drove to...but only sometimes. Then once she jumps it (she's a pro using the jump pack), it'll start fine for a while.

I can't stand intermittent issues like that because they make no sense. She doesn't want to waste time taking it to the :dillerman: because she knows just like me that they won't be able to find anything wrong with it. I think she just needs to drive it more...it's got under 4k miles on it and we've had it for 10 months. We take my truck everywhere because of unlimited mileage and zero deductible insurance, plus she's not working, so nowhere to take it on the regular. We really don't need two vehicles.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:59 am
Wocka Wocka wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:58 pm

:mindblown:

Guessing he was doing well if he was laid off and still managed to score the no interest loan.
FCA gonna FCA. He overpaid by $5k on the truck. They threw him the no interest loan bone. Either way he took some meat.

I’m laid off. Nissan loves throwing money at people they shouldn’t. Maybe I could get a primo discount and no interest loan on a GTR 🤔 It has a back seat, perfect kid and puppy hauler. Wonder if I can put a hitch on it for bikes. And a roof rack plus space pod for a stroller.
Well it is an automatic :hue: :doit:

@Max's quote... :lolol: "we felt that a car was the safest way to get around" and they purchase a $50K :truk:

Also, a :jeep: :truk: in Manhattan? That would blow :dedong:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:25 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:26 pm Speaking of issues... anyone else with the :jalapenis: 2.0T have like a weird whistle noise for a fraction of a second on startup? I assume that's just the way it sounds :aintcare:

That is I guess my one complaint with the 2.0T, it does sound like :poop: That said.... this is my 3rd 2.0T from three different manufacturers and none of them sound good.
Yep, ours sounds a bit weird on cold start too. :aintcare:

The sound really is the 2.0's biggest downfall. It's really not great, which is funny because this is the same company that made the 500 Abarth the best sounding car in the industry for a time.

The 3.6 in my JT sounds fantastic :doe: It's surprising actually.
As long as we're not the only ones, :aintcare:

The 3.6 sounds pretty decent to me as well... :tits: is really the primary driver though and she just likes quiet/no engine noises :sad: :aintcare:

I don't understand why more sporty four cylinder turbo things don't sound like the Abarf. That and some Subarus are really the only turbo fours that sound at all good, IMO. The Civic Si/Hype R are OK but not as good as the NA Hondas were.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

When we drove on the beach I just aired down with a tire pressure gauge like a poor. Then, I aired up at a gas station. In the future I will bring my little pump like the one Chris linked... it works well enough for our use. Last week's soft roading adventures, I just went in at 38 PSI. I was a bit nervous as there was some deep sand, but I just hit at at a decent speed and stayed in it, it was :thisisfine:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:14 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:25 am
Yep, ours sounds a bit weird on cold start too. :aintcare:

The sound really is the 2.0's biggest downfall. It's really not great, which is funny because this is the same company that made the 500 Abarth the best sounding car in the industry for a time.

The 3.6 in my JT sounds fantastic :doe: It's surprising actually.

The 3.6 sounds pretty decent to me as well... :tits: is really the primary driver though and she just likes quiet/no engine noises :sad: :aintcare:

I don't understand why more sporty four cylinder turbo things don't sound like the Abarf. That and some Subarus are really the only turbo fours that sound at all good, IMO. The Civic Si/Hype R are OK but not as good as the NA Hondas were.
Back when we were in the office I was eavesdropping on a conversation between my counterpart on JL and some powertrain engineers. My counterpart had "improve 2.0T engine sound" on an improvement list, and the engineer was confused. "What's it supposed to sound like?" he asked. My counterpart said "not shitty". :lolol:

I piped in and asked if they had ever heard an Abarth. The engineer went :notsure: "that's a performance car, not a Jeep". "So Jeeps are supposed to sound like shit?" I responded.

The dude was unamused. :lolol:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:15 am When we drove on the beach I just aired down with a tire pressure gauge like a poor. Then, I aired up at a gas station. In the future I will bring my little pump like the one Chris linked... it works well enough for our use. Last week's soft roading adventures, I just went in at 38 PSI. I was a bit nervous as there was some deep sand, but I just hit at at a decent speed and stayed in it, it was :thisisfine:
Sand and mud is a momentum game. Airing down only helps if you're driving slow or cruising.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:28 am

Back when we were in the office I was eavesdropping on a conversation between my counterpart on JL and some powertrain engineers. My counterpart had "improve 2.0T engine sound" on an improvement list, and the engineer was confused. "What's it supposed to sound like?" he asked. My counterpart said "not shitty". :lolol:

I piped in and asked if they had ever heard an Abarth. The engineer went :notsure: "that's a performance car, not a Jeep". "So Jeeps are supposed to sound like shit?" I responded.

:lolol:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

What is this guy, German? "It performs exactly as designed and at a noise level below specification."
"Blenders don't sound good though"
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

To be honest sitting at 4k rpm with exhaust crackles and pops and god knows what for 2 hrs off roading may change y'alls minds. But the 5.7 needs to be an option.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:notwrong: though. I quite like the power plant, I've been impressed with the FE and powah is great, but the sound really is :gag:

Fortunately you don't hear it all that much, so whatever.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:35 pm

What is this guy, German? "It performs exactly as designed and at a noise level below specification."
"Blenders don't sound good though"
This was his attitude. :rolleyes:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:09 pm

:notwrong: though. I quite like the power plant, I've been impressed with the FE and powah is great, but the sound really is :gag:

Yea, it’s really quiet, so :aintcare:

It’s great otherwise.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:53 pm To be honest sitting at 4k rpm with exhaust crackles and pops and god knows what for 2 hrs off roading may change y'alls minds. But the 5.7 needs to be an option.
Only sitting at 4K with a :manuel: which isn’t available on the 2.0

The auto shifts all the time when off-roading, it doesn’t spend a ton of time revving because it doesn’t need to
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Desertbrah where you at?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:32 pm Image

Desertbrah where you at?
Three ninety twwwoooooo
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbrah where you at?
About time! :fuckyeah:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbrah where you at?
:geek:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Desertbrah where you at?
lol
why not
Everyone wants to drive a Wrangler at 140 MPH.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:06 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:09 pm

Yea, it’s really quiet, so :aintcare:

It’s great otherwise.
I got a survey from FCA about the car recently. I included that it sounds like :poop: with your Detroit German coworker :triggered: in mind :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:06 pm

Desertbrah where you at?
lol
why not
Everyone wants to drive a Wrangler at 140 MPH.
Gotta compete with the Broncbro launch somehow.
ChrisoftheNorth

Finally took the wife's JL into the :dillerman: to address the intermittent no start issue after it wouldn't start on Monday.

We'll see what happens....
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Gotta take mine in for a couple of recall checks, and I loaded it up with flattened boxes this weekend and ended up ripping the rear defroster wire off the window. Looks like the solder connection just gave up and released. Fully expecting to be told I need a new rear glass.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:15 am Gotta take mine in for a couple of recall checks, and I loaded it up with flattened boxes this weekend and ended up ripping the rear defroster wire off the window. Looks like the solder connection just gave up and released. Fully expecting to be told I need a new rear glass.
Nope, the rear defroster connection is a common issue on 2018's. They gave up when just sitting on the lots, the supplier didn't use enough solder. Dealers should be aware and have done the fix before, no new glass needed.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:20 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:15 am Gotta take mine in for a couple of recall checks, and I loaded it up with flattened boxes this weekend and ended up ripping the rear defroster wire off the window. Looks like the solder connection just gave up and released. Fully expecting to be told I need a new rear glass.
Nope, the rear defroster connection is a common issue on 2018's. They gave up when just sitting on the lots, the supplier didn't use enough solder. Dealers should be aware and have done the fix before, no new glass needed.
Awesome, thanks for the info! Maybe my boxes didn't even break it and I just noticed it after as a coincidence.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:21 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:20 am
Awesome, thanks for the info! Maybe my boxes didn't even break it and I just noticed it after as a coincidence.
More than likely.

It's also caused mostly by heat, and with all the time you've spent in AZ and NV, that's probably what did it. Surprised it's made it this long TBH. Our JL had the fix done before we bought it, can tell because they have to sand the coating on the back window slightly to get proper adhesion for the connector.