Jeeponomics 201: Toledo Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Its a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:35 pm Its a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand
:dat:

I own one and still don't. THose trails look hard though.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I drove the :jeep: 560 miles yesterday. All in all, :notbad: You do get used to the wandering and it's :thisisfine: . I did miss the Beemah a bit at times, but well worth it for all the fun we had all week in the Bikini, top down cruising, soft roading, :doge: hanging out the window, etc.

The computer showed 26.4 MPG for the trip, hand calculated was 24.5. :notbad: I drive slow :doe: :ohwell:

Also, one interesting tidbit - I recall Max mentioning the soft top flapping a otn... Ours doesn't do this at all. The noise floor is higher than a regular car, but no other adverse effects with the tent. It was even pouring for an hour or too and it was :thisisfine: Is it possible that $70K Rubi has the :scrooge: top? Maybe over a couple of years they stretch and get shittier?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:40 pm I drove the :jeep: 560 miles yesterday. All in all, :notbad: You do get used to the wandering and it's :thisisfine: . I did miss the Beemah a bit at times, but well worth it for all the fun we had all week in the Bikini, top down cruising, soft roading, :doge: hanging out the window, etc.

The computer showed 26.4 MPG for the trip, hand calculated was 24.5. :notbad: I drive slow :doe: :ohwell:

Also, one interesting tidbit - I recall Max mentioning the soft top flapping a otn... Ours doesn't do this at all. The noise floor is higher than a regular car, but no other adverse effects with the tent. It was even pouring for an hour or too and it was :thisisfine: Is it possible that $70K Rubi has the :scrooge: top? Maybe over a couple of years they stretch and get shittier?
It flaps in certain conditions. Cross winds are one. And I have the window sticker somewhere... pretty sure he got premium top. His JL has 30k miles...

Dude 24.5 :lol: I got that in my mini :yikes: I guess it makes sense... same size motor :like:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:32 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:29 pm How’d that happen? Is there some sort of dip that they hit too fast and flipped?
nope, probably threw it in 4L and accidentally gunned it too much trying to clear rocks inside the tunnel, panicked and stayed in throttle.
Dang.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:49 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:40 pm I drove the :jeep: 560 miles yesterday. All in all, :notbad: You do get used to the wandering and it's :thisisfine: . I did miss the Beemah a bit at times, but well worth it for all the fun we had all week in the Bikini, top down cruising, soft roading, :doge: hanging out the window, etc.

It flaps in certain conditions. Cross winds are one. And I have the window sticker somewhere... pretty sure he got premium top. His JL has 30k miles...

Dude 24.5 :lol: I got that in my mini :yikes: I guess it makes sense... same size motor :like:
I mean... I think the FE would drop 20% but I don't really go above 70 as the car just blows to drive at that speed. Cross winds might be the issue with the flapping, based on driving a wind sail sized :truk: all over the country, it is typically windier out west in my experience, you really feel it out there. It's also so much more open in the west, all of the forest out here likely keeps wind at bay somewhat.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:51 pm

I mean... I think the FE would drop 20% but I don't really go above 70 as the car just blows to drive at that speed. Cross winds might be the issue with the flapping, based on driving a wind sail sized :truk: all over the country, it is typically windier out west in my experience, you really feel it out there. It's also so much more open in the west, all of the forest out here likely keeps wind at bay somewhat.
Yea I think Rona had a really odd side effect... I go 85-90 consistently, and I still have people riding my ass because I am too slow in the left lane.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

The Jeep was pretty horrendous to drive at 70 MPH during cross winds in Nevada. Fuuuuuck that.
But y'all have trees so cross winds likely ain't nowhere near as bad :aintcare:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:58 pm

The Jeep was pretty horrendous to drive at 70 MPH during cross winds in Nevada. Fuuuuuck that.
:like: sounds like my experience. To say it doesn't happen is just :wrong: but overall it is fairly manageable as it certainly comes with attributes that are supremely favorable.
1. Suspension is super cheap to fix and will never wear out unlike car based suvs that get destroyed by 70k miles
2. off road capable AF
3. convertible roof design etc...

You can't forget the positives that may offset it for some. I mean I wouldn't commute 200 miles a day in one, but I can see "putting up" with it.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Yeah I drive mine slow. Usually 65 on the freeway. Maybe 70.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:04 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:58 pm

:like: sounds like my experience. To say it doesn't happen is just :wrong: but overall it is fairly manageable as it certainly comes with attributes that are supremely favorable.
1. Suspension is super cheap to fix and will never wear out unlike car based suvs that get destroyed by 70k miles
2. off road capable AF
3. convertible roof design etc...

You can't forget the positives that may offset it for some. I mean I wouldn't commute 200 miles a day in one, but I can see "putting up" with it.
Well, it hasn't happened in our use case, but I believe it does out west having experienced the epic crosswinds that were fucking terrifying in the Bang Bus. We did 1400 miles in the past week and it was never an issue.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Overall 2300 miles in, we really love this car, it is just the most fun vehicle for us for traveling.

Pros:
-can go anywhere, it's fun to be able to confidently go down any park road, through any puddle, on any beach, etc. without worry, even though we aren't skilled off roaders
-the interior is super nice, we were really happy in it all day and pretty darn comfy
-ride quality is nice
-fuel efficiency is pretty darn good for what it is
-top down fun is epic
-we get compliments on the color constantly

Cons:
-top of the center gauge screen isn't really visible
-wandering on the highway at 70+ is kind of annoying
-accessing the rear hatch with the tent roof is a little annoying

Those are really the only three things I don't like about it. Definitely worth the $40K OTD in my opinion and nothing else offers this experience. I look forward to seeing what the Broncbro offers.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:04 pm Yeah I drive mine slow. Usually 65 on the freeway. Maybe 70.
Yea 70 seems like fairly terminal velocity... I4 :waxer: saying he blasts down at 95-105 :yikes:
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:21 pm Overall 2300 miles in, we really love this car, it is just the most fun vehicle for us for traveling.

Pros:
-can go anywhere, it's fun to be able to confidently go down any park road, through any puddle, on any beach, etc. without worry, even though we aren't skilled off roaders
-the interior is super nice, we were really happy in it all day and pretty darn comfy
-ride quality is nice
-fuel efficiency is pretty darn good for what it is
-top down fun is epic
-we get compliments on the color constantly

Cons:
-top of the center gauge screen isn't really visible
-wandering on the highway at 70+ is kind of annoying
-accessing the rear hatch with the tent roof is a little annoying

Those are really the only three things I don't like about it. Definitely worth the $40K OTD in my opinion and nothing else offers this experience. I look forward to seeing what the Broncbro offers.
Yea I am quite curious about the bronco... :hubba:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:21 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:04 pm Yeah I drive mine slow. Usually 65 on the freeway. Maybe 70.
Yea 70 seems like fairly terminal velocity... I4 :waxer: saying he blasts down at 95-105 :yikes:
I went like 105 in a rented JKU for like two minutes and it was awful :nope:

The powah is certainly there in our JL, but it's just not pleasant, very :butwhy: for me.

I am more of a "it's the journey as much as the destination" guy so it's actually kind of refreshing to have a car that isn't fun to go fast in. We were driving back from Seaside, FL to Charlotte and I just took the back road scenic route. It added maybe an hour to a 8-9 hour trip but :ohwell: , it's more fun that way and saves on fuel.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:21 pm
I’ve definitely done 75-85 on a few empty stretches, but your mileage just tanks, so that’s rare for me. Plus I’m rarely on a long enough drive that the extra 10mph in speed will make a noticeable difference in my arrival time.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Got an indicated 18mpg towing the glamper at 65mph-70mph this weekend. Legit :notbad:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:36 pm Got an indicated 18mpg towing the glamper at 65mph-70mph this weekend. Legit :notbad:
:notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth

So, the roof rack is annoying AF. It rattles and "clicks" over bumps and whatnot when loaded, so on the way home, I threw the kayaks on the camper instead. That made a very noticeable improvement in fuel economy and driving, plus silent. Aero is so huge on these trucks.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I love how we are all in here discussing fuel economy in our porta potty/tent bricks.

:fuckyeah: :scrooge: :jeep:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:48 pm I love how we are all in here discussing fuel economy in our porta potty/tent bricks.

:lolol:

For me, it's just a :neat: :math: ...IDGAF about the financial impact. I paid 1.95 for gas at Costco on the way north on Friday.

What's interesting is it seems like my truck is breaking in? Or it likes this hotter weather. It's improved quite a bit over the last few months...It's doing as well or better than my ZR2 did in similar driving situations.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:57 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:48 pm I love how we are all in here discussing fuel economy in our porta potty/tent bricks.

For me, it's just a :neat: :math: ...IDGAF about the financial impact. I paid 1.95 for gas at Costco on the way north on Friday.

What's interesting is it seems like my truck is breaking in? Or it likes this hotter weather. It's improved quite a bit over the last few months...It's doing as well or better than my ZR2 did in similar driving situations.
How many miles on the big dumb orange :jeep: :truk: now?

Maybe we should call it Trump... :hue:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:dat:

:aintcare: about saving the few bucks but it's a fun game to try to get good MPGeez in a :jeep:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:02 pm

Turned over 10k yesterday. Has been flawless.

And so no, it certainly does not deserve that terrible name.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:52 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:02 pm

Turned over 10k yesterday. Has been flawless.

And so no, it certainly does not deserve that terrible name.
:nice: