Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:03 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:00 pm

Correct. Fake money that vests at about 25% per year...
I haven't worked at a single company for more than 5 years. Partially because there's no reward for loyalty (this fixes that), but also because every company I work for I end up hating due to terrible culture and (mis)management.

I bet tech is different. Curious to find out, but the risk is just way too high for me. I'd rather stay here miserable in my job than try to establish myself somewhere new spending 5 years in a crowded apt or condo complex not being able to enjoy the weather because there's traffic everywhere and escaping is nearly impossible on the regular.
I don't know that it is this doom and gloom ... a lot of people live happy lives here. Not saying you should do it because you have a good thing in Detroit. But a lot of people like to throw shade out this way, which is odd to me.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:05 pm
I haven't worked at a single company for more than 5 years. Partially because there's no reward for loyalty (this fixes that), but also because every company I work for I end up hating due to terrible culture and (mis)management.

I bet tech is different. Curious to find out, but the risk is just way too high for me. I'd rather stay here miserable in my job than try to establish myself somewhere new spending 5 years in a crowded apt or condo complex not being able to enjoy the weather because there's traffic everywhere and escaping is nearly impossible on the regular.
I don't know that it is this doom and gloom ... a lot of people live happy lives here. Not saying you should do it because you have a good thing in Detroit. But a lot of people like to throw shade out this way, which is odd to me.
I highly value space and time. Both aren't really a thing out that way unless mega rich. Tons of people are clearly happy with it, just not for me at all. I'd rather move to Fairbanks than San Francisco.

I will say, if I could land a good paying gig somehow in central coast ~Santa Barbara area, I'd probably make that happen. I love that area.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:dat: I think it is very nice and there are pros/cons like anything. I'd say the Bay Area or anywhere on the coast of CA has more pros but the major con, cost, is challenging. With plenty of money most of the other issues like traffic don't really matter. If you have enough cash, you can just live close to work and stuff to mitigate it.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:14 pm

:dat: I think it is very nice and there are pros/cons like anything. I'd say the Bay Area or anywhere on the coast of CA has more pros but the major con, cost, is challenging. With plenty of money most of the other issues like traffic don't really matter. If you have enough cash, you can just live close to work and stuff to mitigate it.
I haven’t driven to work in 3 months ... neither has the girl. There is a “new normal” here that tends to be ahead of anywhere else in the country. Times are changin’
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:26 pm

I haven’t driven to work in 3 months ... neither has the girl. There is a “new normal” here that tends to be ahead of anywhere else in the country. Times are changin’
That is the same everywhere. I think you're right... I feel if anything, that is what could upset housing prices. Now that many aren't tied to a physical office, there is an argument to be made for working remotely and living somewhere cool that previously didn't offer much in the way of employment, like small beach towns, mountain towns and the like. I have tried to convince :tits: that we should move to Carolina Beach.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:30 pm

That is the same everywhere. I think you're right... I feel if anything, that is what could upset housing prices. Now that many aren't tied to a physical office, there is an argument to be made for working remotely and living somewhere cool that previously didn't offer much in the way of employment, like small beach towns, mountain towns and the like. I have tried to convince :tits: that we should move to Carolina Beach.
Yep... it’s going to create a bit of mobility. Physical office presence is still necessary occasionally though. And many companies states that reloc would come with pay cuts... should be interesting to see how it all plays out
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Tell that to my exec team. “We can’t wait to all be back together again.” “Looking forward to getting back to normal.”
:disgust:
max225

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:32 pm

Tell that to my exec team. “We can’t wait to all be back together again.” “Looking forward to getting back to normal.”
We’re not asked to return yet... most of my company has adopted to wfh... but we were a lot more used to it than the average company. As I mentioned before my boss lives in Spain, and one of my main business partners is in Sweden. It has its ups and downs
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:30 pm That is the same everywhere. I think you're right... I feel if anything, that is what could upset housing prices. Now that many aren't tied to a physical office, there is an argument to be made for working remotely and living somewhere cool that previously didn't offer much in the way of employment, like small beach towns, mountain towns and the like. I have tried to convince :tits: that we should move to Carolina Beach.
Yep... it’s going to create a bit of mobility. Physical office presence is still necessary occasionally though. And many companies states that reloc would come with pay cuts... should be interesting to see how it all plays out
The pay cuts already happened. Next we get to put everyone back in their cubes without giving them their paychecks back.

miltonredstapler.gif
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:53 pm
max225 wrote:
The pay cuts already happened. Next we get to put everyone back in their cubes without giving them their paychecks back.

miltonredstapler.gif
No cubes here. #openoffice
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:33 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:32 pm

We’re not asked to return yet... most of my company has adopted to wfh... but we were a lot more used to it than the average company. As I mentioned before my boss lives in Spain, and one of my main business partners is in Sweden. It has its ups and downs
Our offices were opened on 6/1 but on an optional basis. In person meetings are prohibited and a mask must be worn whenever leaving your desk. Given all that I don't see the point and don't plan to return. My boss lives in the Bay Area so he's pretty NFG about where we're working if we get our shit done.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:53 pm
max225 wrote:

miltonredstapler.gif
They already restored pay cuts here but of course since I'm in sales and I have to grow the business over the same month last year to make commission, I'm still making way less. :ohwell:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:30 pm

Honestly, if you occasionally have to go to the office, perhaps 2 times a week. A night at the airbnb probably wouldn't hurt. Drive back to the beach and blast Luke Bryan on the way back.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:14 am
wap wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:04 pm

I thought you liked the C :225: ?
🤨 :lolgasm:
:wub: :lol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:27 pm
wap wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:04 pm

I thought you liked the C :225: ?
Aside from being a piece of shit fraud sure. Being what it is it has a lot of issues.
Normally I'm anti-hybrid, but when I had the rental corolla hybrid with the shitVT (one of the reasons why I hated it), it's pretty 5/7 in 0-30 sprints with the electric torque. I honestly kind of liked it and probably would see myself as a daily if I live deep into the city. Maybe a test drive the new corolla hybrid wouldn't hurt as a replacement and I think the hatch has that too. The sport mode certainly firms up the steering where it's not feather light, but easy to turn of course.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:44 pm

Aside from being a piece of shit fraud sure. Being what it is it has a lot of issues.
Normally I'm anti-hybrid, but when I had the rental corolla hybrid with the shitVT (one of the reasons why I hated it), it's pretty 5/7 in 0-30 sprints with the electric torque. I honestly kind of liked it and probably would see myself as a daily if I live deep into the city. Maybe a test drive the new corolla hybrid wouldn't hurt as a replacement and I think the hatch has that too. The sport mode certainly firms up the steering where it's not feather light, but easy to turn of course.
Bro in law just bought one. He said it gets 50 something MPG and drives like a normal car. He had a Prius before and didn’t like the spaceship drive experience.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:26 pm

Bro in law just bought one. He said it gets 50 something MPG and drives like a normal car. He had a Prius before and didn’t like the spaceship drive experience.
interesting, and yes it really does feels like a regular car but does not feel like your gutless corolla at lower speeds. Highway passing on the other hand....
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

I'm listening...50mpg Corolla.
brain go brrrrrr
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:00 am

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:32 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:00 am

does it come in hatchback

yes. yes it does. only 37 mpg doe. eh.
brain go brrrrrr
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

No hybrid hatch, but the job hybrid hatch and sedan look so much better
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:51 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:32 am

Hyundai ioniq. Supposedly drives like a normal car. 6 speed auto. Hatch like the prius. Normal interior.

I like the hybrid corolla though. I think it looks good. Only real knock is it’s slow. I’d gladly trade 5 MPG for a bit more balls.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:02 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:51 am

Hyundai ioniq. Supposedly drives like a normal car. 6 speed auto. Hatch like the prius. Normal interior.

I like the hybrid corolla though. I think it looks good. Only real knock is it’s slow. I’d gladly trade 5 MPG for a bit more balls.
I either want a double clutch or a manual
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:02 pm Hyundai ioniq. Supposedly drives like a normal car. 6 speed auto. Hatch like the prius. Normal interior.

Ioniq has a DCT.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:45 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Ioniq has a DCT.
Yeah I think it actually is a 6-DCT