Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Wocka Wocka wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:38 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:20 pm The point is 350 days of nice weather a year instead of... 35?

It's 10x the enjoyment for only 4x the price. :math:
June-September average highs above 70 degrees in Detroit. I'm betting there are more than 35 nice days the entire year.

Also, if you'd have to work 320 days a year to afford to live somewhere it is nice 350 days a year, there isn't much more benefit.

Gotta make the best out of what you have.
SO much :dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:17 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:13 pm
It’s tough, jobs are there but ultra competitive with everyone all over the country and world competing for them. Makes it quite a stressful life.
That's the thing, pay isn't a whole ton better than what I make here, yet the cost of a house is ~triple?

No thanks. I prefer to live a life with less stress. I just don't see the point.
It depends... I don't know what the pay is in detroit. But out here the girl is now making about triple what the job would pay for in another state... :yikes: She got somewhat lucky but overall we've both explored out of state jobs, and the ratios simply didn't work out. Significant pay cuts for us both I'd say, less so for me because I am now "under market" again. :gaydance:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:43 pm
Wocka Wocka wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:38 pm

June-September average highs above 70 degrees in Detroit. I'm betting there are more than 35 nice days the entire year.

Also, if you'd have to work 320 days a year to afford to live somewhere it is nice 350 days a year, there isn't much more benefit.

Gotta make the best out of what you have.
SO much :dat:
:dat:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:44 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:17 pm
That's the thing, pay isn't a whole ton better than what I make here, yet the cost of a house is ~triple?

No thanks. I prefer to live a life with less stress. I just don't see the point.
It depends... I don't know what the pay is in detroit. But out here the girl is now making about triple what the job would pay for in another state... :yikes: She got somewhat lucky but overall we've both explored out of state jobs, and the ratios simply didn't work out. Significant pay cuts for us both I'd say, less so for me because I am now "under market" again. :gaydance:
Yeah it really is very field dependent. Like, I have been in the AV/pro audio biz for 10 years and the pay is basically the same everywhere. There are more jobs in NYC and CA but you basically are poor in this biz there, versus being well enough off in Charlotte with the same sort of job if you can manage to do remote/make it work outside of the hubs of the entertainment business.

Many things are different though, like :neek: making $120K as a medic in Sacramento, they make like $30-50K here and COL is about the same as Sacramento.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I think it's interesting that :mahtroy: is all about paying out the ass for good weather when he doesn't like any outdoor activities though. I am outside at least 60% of my waking hours when I'm not working.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:49 pm I think it's interesting that :mahtroy: is all about paying out the ass for good weather when he doesn't like any outdoor activities though. I am outside at least 60% of my waking hours when I'm not working.
:dat: :dat: :dat:

I'm outside constantly, even if the weather isn't perfect. If it's not raining, I'm probably outside. I even work on the front porch most days if I don't need my external monitor.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:47 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:44 pm

Yeah it really is very field dependent. Like, I have been in the AV/pro audio biz for 10 years and the pay is basically the same everywhere. There are more jobs in NYC and CA but you basically are poor in this biz there, versus being well enough off in Charlotte with the same sort of job if you can manage to do remote/make it work outside of the hubs of the entertainment business.

Many things are different though, like :neek: making $120K as a medic in Sacramento, they make like $30-50K here and COL is about the same as Sacramento.
Prelim discussions I had with Google indicated I could get a ~20% salary increase by moving out there. Housing is nearly quadruple. No thanks.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:52 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:47 pm

Prelim discussions I had with Google indicated I could get a ~20% salary increase by moving out there. Housing is nearly quadruple. No thanks.
I don't understand how... signing bonuses are about 100-300k DOE alone. That's a non thing anywhere else in the country.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:I think it's interesting that :mahtroy: is all about paying out the ass for good weather when he doesn't like any outdoor activities though. I am outside at least 60% of my waking hours when I'm not working.
I like sitting on my ass outside, plus motorsports when they're not stupid. In Charlotte I'd probably autox 20-30 weekends a year in the cheapest class (shifter karts).

I also want to be around my fellow libtards.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:06 pm
D Griff wrote:I think it's interesting that :mahtroy: is all about paying out the ass for good weather when he doesn't like any outdoor activities though. I am outside at least 60% of my waking hours when I'm not working.
I like sitting on my ass outside, plus motorsports when they're not stupid. In Charlotte I'd probably autox 20-30 weekends a year in the cheapest class (shifter karts).

Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:53 pm
I don't understand how... signing bonuses are about 100-300k DOE alone. That's a non thing anywhere else in the country.
What is a sign on bonus?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:06 pm

:word: SCCA culture is strong here.

Understood on the Libtard thing, we were at Carolina Beach a couple of weeks ago and while I love the place, the number of :thankstrump: flags, lifted :truk: and 5% mask utilization were all pretty :disgust:

Any major city should be pretty Libtard friends though, outside of maybe Texas.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:15 pm

What is a sign on bonus?
Man... this guy a know, one of my good friend's little brothers, got a job right out of college at Amazon, $40K signing bonus. He wen on to quit Amazon and just do some contract work here and there for a while and is now starting back up with them and getting another signing bonus. He is a really good brogrammer but dang. Twice from the same company just because he unceremoniously bailed to fuck off before? Must be nice.
max225

What is a sign on bonus?
Usually, a company will grant you RSUs, that vest annually over the course of 4 years to ensure you don't jump ship somewhere else.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:15 pm What is a sign on bonus?
Usually, a company will grant you RSUs, that vest annually over the course of 4 years to ensure you don't jump ship somewhere else.
That only really happens in coastal utopias and only for rich and upper middle class folks. That's not "usual" at all. Normal people are lucky to have a job.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:06 pm I like sitting on my ass outside, plus motorsports when they're not stupid. In Charlotte I'd probably autox 20-30 weekends a year in the cheapest class (shifter karts).

:word: SCCA culture is strong here.

Understood on the Libtard thing, we were at Carolina Beach a couple of weeks ago and while I love the place, the number of :thankstrump: flags, lifted :truk: and 5% mask utilization were all pretty :disgust:

Any major city should be pretty Libtard friends though, outside of maybe Texas.
Dunno if I was just ignorant or if :thanksobama: :thankstrump: has resulted in people getting more and more obnoxious, but at this point I have a really hard time being around a lot of people. I'm skipping the big kart race in Indiana this year in part because of virus shit but largely because the Trumpers, which is 90+% of the crowd, are insufferable. :snowflake:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:17 pm

What is a sign on bonus?
I know what they are, I was alluding to the fact that it doesn't happen nearly that often outside cali. I was offered a "generous" sign on bonus of $10k for the horrible chemical plant job...
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I’ve never gotten a sign on bonus. :poor:
ChrisoftheNorth

:wat: That was never mentioned.

Dude I worked with took a job with Apple, he got $20k to relocate, and would be eligible for an additional $20k in stock options if he stayed for 5 years.

$100k+ signing bonus is :yeahok:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:32 pm I’ve never gotten a sign on bonus. :poor:
Me either.
max225

Well there is a strong correlation between house prices and pay obviously.... for now that’s here to stay. But to say that “x” doesn’t exist etc is pretty dense. They obviously exist out here, and are a key reason why house prices are so expensive.

This is the case all the way up the coast Where 1/3 of the entire population of the country is. Seattle is just about the same as the bay ... Portland also
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:32 pm

Dude I worked with took a job with Apple, he got $20k to relocate, and would be eligible for an additional $20k in stock options if he stayed for 5 years.

I’m assuming you’re not at a junior level. 20-40k is analyst level sign on bonus.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:52 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:32 pm

I’m assuming you’re not at a junior level. 20-40k is analyst level sign on bonus.
But that's not real money, just stock options right?
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:59 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:52 pm

Correct. Fake money that vests at about 25% per year...
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:59 pm
Correct. Fake money that vests at about 25% per year...
I haven't worked at a single company for more than 5 years. Partially because there's no reward for loyalty (this fixes that), but also because every company I work for I end up hating due to terrible culture and (mis)management.

I bet tech is different. Curious to find out, but the risk is just way too high for me. I'd rather stay here miserable in my job than try to establish myself somewhere new spending 5 years in a crowded apt or condo complex not being able to enjoy the weather because there's traffic everywhere and escaping is nearly impossible on the regular.