Android Auto/ACP Discussion Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Thought this topic was worth a thread. :wrong:
I finally downloaded the ap and started using AA in the Blue Meanie this week. It's...ok I guess, but I'm still :notsure: I'm using it to its fullest potential because I'm not blown away by it. I mean, it seems to work correctly, but how exactly does it improve my driving experience? So far as I can tell it starts automatically when I plug in the USB cord and immediately pulls up google maps. :slowclap: . :bruh: , I've been driving to and from my work for 27 years, and the last 22 from the same :haus: . There ain't much google knows about my 12-15 minute route that I already do, except for a random accident, true. I mostly listen to audio books and my preferred platform isn't even supported by AA so it doesn't show up as one of the available icons on the dash screen so I still have to use the phone to operate it. And when I do listen to music I just go the my SD card that has a couple thousand songs on it.

I use a Moto G6 running Android 8.0 on the base VW HU in the Rabbit. I only have a couple gigs of data/month so I don't do that much streaming so I currently have no radio or Pandora-type aps.

So I thought I'd open this up for discussion of all things AA/ACP-related and to ask and answer questions, share tips/tricks, recommendations, etc.

So my first questions are, how do you all use AA/ACP on a daily basis? What are some free :scrooge: aps that you all use? What am I missing or doing :wrong: ?

Help teach an old :wap: new tricks.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

So one thing I am underwhelmed about the nav on the dash screen is that the whole left third of the screen is taken up by that big green square. Horrible use of real estate. I haven't found any way to minimize it. Is there any way? Also, I can't get the damn thing to verbalize the directions. I checked and mute is definitely NOT turned on. It worked Monday but it's gone Helen Keller ever since. :butwhy:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

AA is seriously gimped compared to just mounting the phone on the dash. I'm still trying to like it, but so far I still have no interest in it as a permanent solution.

Another annoyance: At least with my phone+car combo, unlocking the phone for any reason (most common for me is to read an email while parked) instantly disconnects AA and it will NOT reconnect without turning the car all the way off and back on again. Sometimes it requires 3+ restarts of the car to finally reconnect. :disgust:
troyguitar

wap wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:34 pm So one thing I am underwhelmed about the nav on the dash screen is that the whole left third of the screen is taken up by that big green square. Horrible use of real estate. I haven't found any way to minimize it. Is there any way? Also, I can't get the damn thing to verbalize the directions. I checked and mute is definitely NOT turned on. It worked Monday but it's gone Helen Keller ever since. :butwhy:
There is no way to make it actually USE the larger fucking screen, so you're again no better off than you would be with your phone mounted on the dash.

For the volume: Hold your phone when she should be speaking and mash the volume up key a bunch at that precise moment.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I have it but don't use it. My phone map gets loaded and I open the front change holder/storage flap under the vent controls and rest it against a rubber glove that I have jammed in there. I need a good phone holder to continue with my AA free life.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:36 pm AA is seriously gimped compared to just mounting the phone on the dash. I'm still trying to like it, but so far I still have no interest in it as a permanent solution.

Another annoyance: At least with my phone+car combo, unlocking the phone for any reason (most common for me is to read an email while parked) instantly disconnects AA and it will NOT reconnect without turning the car all the way off and back on again. Sometimes it requires 3+ restarts of the car to finally reconnect. :disgust:
This is exactly where I'm at as well. But with so many people here so in :wub: with it I thought I should try it to see what I'm missing. Not feeling the love yet. I'm starting to understand why my wife stopped using it in her H after a couple days. And she has a much better HU than me with a bigger screen and decent interface.

I always assumed it would basically be a bigger screen screen to operate my phone on, with all the capabilities of my phone, like plugging a small laptop into a yuge monitor. But :nope:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:37 pm
wap wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:34 pm So one thing I am underwhelmed about the nav on the dash screen is that the whole left third of the screen is taken up by that big green square. Horrible use of real estate. I haven't found any way to minimize it. Is there any way? Also, I can't get the damn thing to verbalize the directions. I checked and mute is definitely NOT turned on. It worked Monday but it's gone Helen Keller ever since. :butwhy:
There is no way to make it actually USE the larger fucking screen, so you're again no better off than you would be with your phone mounted on the dash.

For the volume: Hold your phone when she should be speaking and mash the volume up key a bunch at that precise moment.
:| on the stupid screen usage thing.

I'll try the volume tip on the way home tonight.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:45 pm I have it but don't use it. My phone map gets loaded and I open the front change holder/storage flap under the vent controls and rest it against a rubber glove that I have jammed in there. I need a good phone holder to continue with my AA free life.
I just bought a phone holder that I mounted to the right center vent. Good sight line and it sits proud enough of the vent that I still feel a good stream of air coming out of it.
wap

troyguitar

Good thing you don't have ROUND VENTS. :doomed:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:51 pm Good thing you don't have ROUND VENTS. :doomed:
:gag: :disgust:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:51 pm Good thing you don't have ROUND VENTS. :doomed:
:rage:
wap

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:18 pm
:rage:
I :lolol: 'd!
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

IMO AA/CP are overrated. I never use them in rentals because OEM infotainment isn't bad enough for me to go through the effort to use something else.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:34 pm IMO AA/CP are overrated. I never use them in rentals because OEM infotainment isn't bad enough for me to go through the effort to use something else.
:dat:

On the rare occasion I need to use GPS I'll use it, otherwise I quite literally never bother. Bluetooth works just as well or better for everything audio related.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

wap wrote:So one thing I am underwhelmed about the nav on the dash screen is that the whole left third of the screen is taken up by that big green square. Horrible use of real estate. I haven't found any way to minimize it. Is there any way? Also, I can't get the damn thing to verbalize the directions. I checked and mute is definitely NOT turned on. It worked Monday but it's gone Helen Keller ever since. :butwhy:
Big green square?

I use AA on a daily basis mainly for music. I don't even use the built-in nav and just use Google maps.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

wap

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:34 pm IMO AA/CP are overrated. I never use them in rentals because OEM infotainment isn't bad enough for me to go through the effort to use something else.
Yea I never bothered to try it in the rental :doge: I had for 10 days after my Mk6 was totaled.
wap

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:52 pm
wap wrote:So one thing I am underwhelmed about the nav on the dash screen is that the whole left third of the screen is taken up by that big green square. Horrible use of real estate. I haven't found any way to minimize it. Is there any way? Also, I can't get the damn thing to verbalize the directions. I checked and mute is definitely NOT turned on. It worked Monday but it's gone Helen Keller ever since. :butwhy:
Big green square?

I use AA on a daily basis mainly for music. I don't even use the built-in nav and just use Google maps.

I'll grab a pic on my way home and post it tonight.

And how exactly do you music with AA? Let's be specific in this thread. What ap or service do you prefer?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:36 pm CP is good, especially now with the split-screen functionality that just came out.

AA, last time I experimented with it, I was not quite as enamored with.
Split screen? Nice.

CP works well for me, I plug in basically every drive. I like having the Waze map up even when I know where I’m going.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:52 pm Big green square?

And how exactly do you music with AA? Let's be specific in this thread. What ap or service do you prefer?
I use Google Music right now but I'm pretty sure most apps work. I'm thinking of switching to Spotify as it seems like Google is going to :nuke: music soon.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:50 pm This one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S6 ... UTF8&psc=1
Ordered! 👍
wap

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:05 pm
wap wrote:

I use Google Music right now but I'm pretty sure most apps work. I'm thinking of switching to Spotify as it seems like Google is going to :nuke: music soon.

Thanks. Those are all streaming services, right? My measly 2 gigs/month may not go very far. Any idea how much data you go through every month?
wap

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:59 pm
wap wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:50 pm This one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S6 ... UTF8&psc=1
Ordered! 👍
:fuckyeah:
:notbad: for $11.
My main reason for choosing this one is the 2 little pegs on the bottom are individually adjustable and my phone has 2 plugs on the bottom and the pegs allow me to make sure both are accessible. That and the fact that I still get good air flow out of the vent it's mounted on.
wap

Here's what I'm talking about. It actually is more like 40%. The Green and white square on the left. Seems like it's much bigger than it needs to be.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:05 pm I use Google Music right now but I'm pretty sure most apps work. I'm thinking of switching to Spotify as it seems like Google is going to :nuke: music soon.

Thanks. Those are all streaming services, right? My measly 2 gigs/month may not go very far. Any idea how much data you go through every month?
I think those are the most popular. Spotify is anyway.

Not much data. Google music caches a lot and you also have the option to download the songs to your device. You can download from Spotify as well but I think that requires a paid account. I don't know for sure.