OT 18: Anti-Social Distancing

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:26 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:20 pm What bothers me about all this is that protesting is easy, but doesn't do anything.

People will go out there selfishly to make themselves feel better about who they are...take a bunch of selfies to prove on social media that they care and support injustice, and keep the phone camera rolling while they instigate law enforcement to catch the next viral clip.

But will they push for reform? Nah.
Vote for new people with better views? Nah, most won't even bother going to the polls.

Without the Minnesota protests there would never be murder charges against the policemen that killed George Floyd.
After the charges were brought the protests should have calmed down.

You know it doesn't help that we're in the middle of a pandemic with no offices or stores open and everyone out of work and massively bored.

But yeah, I agree with your statement about voting and reform.
:dat:
And - I'd suggest that if the cop, or better yet all FOUR cops, were arrested immediately after the video came out, instead of just suspended or fired, the protests would've never happened in the first place, or would have been much smaller.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:29 pm
Also, it's not beach bums in huntington beach. OC is the conservative hub of California. Those are Trumplovers out there protesting freedumbs and looking for an excuse to rile people up.

My wife's entire family lives in HB, they said there's curfews and increased lockdowns right now that's just making things worse apparently.

Meanwhile, we're here in "shitty" MI in our leafy suburban paradise where it's 75 degrees and our local law enforcement is standing with protesters on the sidewalks, and they've closed down some streets to let people have safe space. They're even handing out masks and assisting with social distancing!

That's awesome. You should be proud of your po-po.
Big time!

We're a bit unique though in that pretty much everyone in our area thinks the same way. We're in quite possibly the most liberal area of MI outside of Ann Arbor.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Well my social distancing campaign ended at least temporarily today. Our 1998 hot water tank sprung a leak yesterday and had to be replaced, naturally it started on Sunday morning so couldn't be addressed until today. While I was out I ordered some cleaning chemicals that I couldn't get delivered to grab via curbside pickup at Walmart and added 2 6-packs to the order. Also took the 100 mile drive to grab one of them contactless Little Caesars deep dish pizzas. I crossed 1300 miles in the 86. :whocares:

Things I learned after being out for the first time since March 12th:

Gas is apparently $1.89 for 87, $2.89 for 93.

Alcohol is still great.

Deep dish pizza is still great.

Even Corning has BLM protesters.

:csb:
Last edited by troyguitar on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:40 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:35 pm I think that you are :wrong: about the numbers. Protesting is relatively easy but it's harder than voting. Those people do vote. There simply aren't very many of them. 1% of the population would be considered a YUGE protest... yet that is nowhere near enough to swing most votes.

It's the same reason that Bernie can't win. It's not that his supporters don't vote. He just doesn't have that many supporters. The few he has are super vocal but that doesn't make their votes count any more than those of the "silent majority" i.e. white Christians who like things just the way they are...
:notwrong:

My question is...does protesting (in general) really change people's minds to actually make a difference in numbers?
Change minds? Maybe not immediately, but it sure changed laws in the 1960's. Think of the voting rights laws and desegregation laws that Dr. King's protests caused Johnson to sign.
wap

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:43 pm
wap wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:42 pm

Had to google that. :lolol:
:mahman: I have to bring the funnies in where I can. :lol:
:zing:
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:50 pm
wap wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:46 pm [/b]

That's awesome. You should be proud of your po-po.
Big time!

We're a bit unique though in that pretty much everyone in our area thinks the same way. We're in quite possibly the most liberal area of MI outside of Ann Arbor.
:unicorn:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:48 pm Sounding board here gave me basically the expected responses from prior postings.

I’ve had a lot of ideas/emotions in my head the last few days with everything, so I spent hours chatting with POC for a different viewpoint. They’re people I’ve known for years and whom I am comfortable speaking openly with. Being open is vitally important when having hard discussions.
Oddly enough we came to nearly the same conclusions and had rather similar views.
I like to believe that most people share similar views unless you're stuck under a rock dreaming of going back in time 200 years.

To me it's simple. We're all fucking human. We're all stuck on the same POS rock together for a period of time, lets recognize that and treat everyone the same. Why skin color is such a thing in this day and age makes me equal parts :mindblown: and :|

The fact that racism is still so systemic in parts of the country is even more :mindblown: But I'm not moving to a place to vote for change. Instead, I'm going to live in an area that embodies the change I want to see in the world.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:52 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:40 pm

My question is...does protesting (in general) really change people's minds to actually make a difference in numbers?
Change minds? Maybe not immediately, but it sure changed laws in the 1960's. Think of the voting rights laws and desegregation laws that Dr. King's protests caused Johnson to sign.

I'll :stfu: now. :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:52 pm Well my social distancing campaign ended at least temporarily today. Our 1998 hot water tank sprung a leak yesterday and had to be replaced, naturally it started on Sunday morning so couldn't be addressed until today. While I was out I ordered some cleaning chemicals that I couldn't get delivered to grab via curbside pickup at Walmart and added 2 6-packs to the order. Also took the 100 mile drive to grab one of them contactless Little Caesars deep dish pizzas. I crossed 1300 miles in the 86. :whocares:

Alcohol is still great.

This is all that matters.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:58 pm
wap wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:52 pm

Please don't! :gay: :wub:
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:59 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:52 pm Well my social distancing campaign ended at least temporarily today. Our 1998 hot water tank sprung a leak yesterday and had to be replaced, naturally it started on Sunday morning so couldn't be addressed until today. While I was out I ordered some cleaning chemicals that I couldn't get delivered to grab via curbside pickup at Walmart and added 2 6-packs to the order. Also took the 100 mile drive to grab one of them contactless Little Caesars deep dish pizzas. I crossed 1300 miles in the 86. :whocares:

Alcohol is still great.

This is all that matters.
:dat:
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
wap wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:52 pm Change minds? Maybe not immediately, but it sure changed laws in the 1960's. Think of the voting rights laws and desegregation laws that Dr. King's protests caused Johnson to sign.

I'll :stfu: now. Imageol:
It's hard to imagine, but apparently some people don't/won't understand things until they are beat over the fucking head with them via protests or even more extreme actions.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:01 pm
Detroit wrote: :notwrong:

It's hard to imagine, but apparently some people don't/won't understand things until they are beat over the fucking head with them via protests or even more extreme actions.

DFD is gonna protest in front of your house until you install a portable room AC unit. :lolol:

:trollface:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:58 pm

Oh no, I'm not leaving, I was just fully proven wrong of my criticism of protesting. Apparently, I can't remember 4th grade when we learned about the fight for civil liberty.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:01 pm
Detroit wrote: :notwrong:

I just have such little respect for government leadershit that I assume all of this is falling on deaf ears.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:04 pm
wap wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:00 pm

Oh no, I'm not leaving, I was just fully proven wrong of my criticism of protesting. Apparently, I can't remember 4th grade when we learned about the fight for civil liberty.
:word:
We need another Dr. King. The current "leadershit" of that community is :|
Apex
Drives: Abominable

wap wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:02 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:01 pm It's hard to imagine, but apparently some people don't/won't understand things until they are beat over the fucking head with them via protests or even more extreme actions.

DFD is gonna protest in front of your house until you install a portable room AC unit. :lolol:

What do we want?
Cold air!
When do we want it?
Now!
wap

I suggest you all watch that movie "Selma" . Powerful and plenty entertaining about King's march across the Edmond Pettus Bridge in Selma Alabama. Terrific movie and very informative of the era.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:04 pm
That's really what we need. A strong voice that commands the respect of many, and loud enough to incite change with the few that don't want to listen.

Instead, we just have millions of individual voices posting on social media like they're doing something, when in reality that just results in static.
wap

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:07 pm
wap wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:02 pm

What do we want?
Cold air!
When do we want it?
Now!
DAT!

:lolgasm:
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:07 pm

That's really what we need. A strong voice that commands the respect of many, and loud enough to incite change with the few that don't want to listen.

Instead, we just have millions of individual voices posting on social media like they're doing something, when in reality that just results in static.
Agreed.
Apex

The person who can get people to unite will be the most powerful person in the country.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:10 pm

The person who can get people to unite will be the most powerful person in the country.
Especially now. I'm not sure that's possible.
troyguitar

Apex wrote:
wap wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:02 pm :notwrong:

DFD is gonna protest in front of your house until you install a portable room AC unit. Imageol:

What do we want?
Cold air!
When do we want it?
Now!
Buncha blowhards in here. It's all hot air :doe:
Apex

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:13 pm
Apex wrote:
What do we want?
Cold air!
When do we want it?
Now!
Buncha blowhards in here. It's all hot air :doe:
What’s that? I can’t hear you over my central air.