OT 18: Anti-Social Distancing

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
User avatar
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 28081
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:36 pm
Drives: CookieMonster
Location: NJ

Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:37 pm

troyguitar wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:27 pm
Apex wrote:
The cops kill more whites than blacks annually, some years it’s double. So, that’s fine?
Or are we only concerned about the socio-economic issues that purvey the plight of minority communities?
Stolen from a friend:


Eric1855;2449270 wrote:Huntington Beach, CA

#1 - protesters protesting the beaches being closed last month
Image

#2 the Black Lives Matter protest
Image


Hmmm...what seems to be different here
Do beach bums get violent?

User avatar
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 37593
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:52 am
Drives: Blue Meanie
Location: Pepperland

Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:44 pm

troyguitar wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:27 pm
Apex wrote:
The cops kill more whites than blacks annually, some years it’s double. So, that’s fine?
Or are we only concerned about the socio-economic issues that purvey the plight of minority communities?
Stolen from a friend:


Eric1855;2449270 wrote:Huntington Beach, CA

#1 - protesters protesting the beaches being closed last month
Image

#2 the Black Lives Matter protest
Image


Hmmm...what seems to be different here
Dat THICK blue line.
:wap: Where are these mangos?

User avatar
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 28081
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:36 pm
Drives: CookieMonster
Location: NJ

Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:45 pm

wap wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:44 pm
troyguitar wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:27 pm
Stolen from a friend:



Dat THICK blue line.
Hey now, Meal Team 6 has nothing to do with this. :lol:

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 37571
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: The welfare line

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:20 pm

wap wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:44 pm
troyguitar wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:27 pm
Stolen from a friend:



Dat THICK blue line.
"You can protest, but if you decide to protest our brotherhood we will show up in riot gear and beat the fuck out of you if/when we decide we don't like your protesting anymore"

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 35667
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Gladiatrice

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:20 pm

What bothers me about all this is that protesting is easy, but doesn't do anything.

People will go out there selfishly to make themselves feel better about who they are...take a bunch of selfies to prove on social media that they care and support injustice, and keep the phone camera rolling while they instigate law enforcement to catch the next viral clip.

But will they push for reform? Nah.
Vote for new people with better views? Nah, most won't even bother going to the polls.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 37571
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: The welfare line

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:22 pm

Apex wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:37 pm
troyguitar wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:27 pm
Stolen from a friend:



Do beach bums get violent?
This statement assumes black people get violent.

The boots on the ground footage from multiple protesters in Philly show crazy ass white people instigating the crowds and being the first to destroy / set fire to a police cruiser. It all devolved from there. Same woman that set fire to the first lit up another 2-3 in various parts of the city.

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 37571
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: The welfare line

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:26 pm

Detroit wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:20 pm
What bothers me about all this is that protesting is easy, but doesn't do anything.

People will go out there selfishly to make themselves feel better about who they are...take a bunch of selfies to prove on social media that they care and support injustice, and keep the phone camera rolling while they instigate law enforcement to catch the next viral clip.

But will they push for reform? Nah.
Vote for new people with better views? Nah, most won't even bother going to the polls.
Without the Minnesota protests there would never be murder charges against the policemen that killed George Floyd. After the charges were brought the protests should have calmed down.

You know it doesn't help that we're in the middle of a pandemic with no offices or stores open and everyone out of work and massively bored.

But yeah, I agree with your statement about voting and reform.

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 35667
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Gladiatrice

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:29 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:22 pm
Apex wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:37 pm


Do beach bums get violent?
This statement assumes black people get violent.

The boots on the ground footage from multiple protesters in Philly show crazy ass white people instigating the crowds and being the first to destroy / set fire to a police cruiser. It all devolved from there. Same woman that set fire to the first lit up another 2-3 in various parts of the city.
Also, it's not beach bums in huntington beach. OC is the conservative hub of California. Those are Trumplovers out there protesting freedumbs and looking for an excuse to rile people up.

My wife's entire family lives in HB, they said there's curfews and increased lockdowns right now that's just making things worse apparently.

Meanwhile, we're here in "shitty" MI in our leafy suburban paradise where it's 75 degrees and our local law enforcement is standing with protesters on the sidewalks, and they've closed down some streets to let people have safe space. They're even handing out masks and assisting with social distancing!
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 35667
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Gladiatrice

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:32 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:26 pm
Detroit wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:20 pm
What bothers me about all this is that protesting is easy, but doesn't do anything.

People will go out there selfishly to make themselves feel better about who they are...take a bunch of selfies to prove on social media that they care and support injustice, and keep the phone camera rolling while they instigate law enforcement to catch the next viral clip.

But will they push for reform? Nah.
Vote for new people with better views? Nah, most won't even bother going to the polls.
Without the Minnesota protests there would never be murder charges against the policemen that killed George Floyd. After the charges were brought the protests should have calmed down.

You know it doesn't help that we're in the middle of a pandemic with no offices or stores open and everyone out of work and massively bored.

But yeah, I agree with your statement about voting and reform.
We don't know for a fact that the scumbag would have walked scott free, but the protests certainly sped up justice for sure.

You're right with the biggest issue though...people are out of work, frustrated, and just looking for something to do. This is free and easy to participate in, the country is a damned tinderbox. It's legit scary.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 17438
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:15 am
Drives: Toyota Ninja Turtle
Location: Hoth

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:35 pm

Detroit wrote:What bothers me about all this is that protesting is easy, but doesn't do anything.

People will go out there selfishly to make themselves feel better about who they are...take a bunch of selfies to prove on social media that they care and support injustice, and keep the phone camera rolling while they instigate law enforcement to catch the next viral clip.

But will they push for reform? Nah.
Vote for new people with better views? Nah, most won't even bother going to the polls.
I think that you are :wrong: about the numbers. Protesting is relatively easy but it's harder than voting. Those people do vote. There simply aren't very many of them. 1% of the population would be considered a YUGE protest... yet that is nowhere near enough to swing most votes.

It's the same reason that Bernie can't win. It's not that his supporters don't vote. He just doesn't have that many supporters. The few he has are super vocal but that doesn't make their votes count any more than those of the "silent majority" i.e. white Christians who like things just the way they are...

User avatar
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 28081
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:36 pm
Drives: CookieMonster
Location: NJ

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:39 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:22 pm
Apex wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:37 pm


Do beach bums get violent?
This statement assumes black people get violent.

The boots on the ground footage from multiple protesters in Philly show crazy ass white people instigating the crowds and being the first to destroy / set fire to a police cruiser. It all devolved from there. Same woman that set fire to the first lit up another 2-3 in various parts of the city.
So you’re telling me that BLM has never been violent?

There are tons of people, of all colors, backgrounds, statuses, etc. doing crazy shit these days. All so they can get on camera and get their 15minutes.

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 35667
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Gladiatrice

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:40 pm

troyguitar wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:35 pm
Detroit wrote:What bothers me about all this is that protesting is easy, but doesn't do anything.

People will go out there selfishly to make themselves feel better about who they are...take a bunch of selfies to prove on social media that they care and support injustice, and keep the phone camera rolling while they instigate law enforcement to catch the next viral clip.

But will they push for reform? Nah.
Vote for new people with better views? Nah, most won't even bother going to the polls.
I think that you are :wrong: about the numbers. Protesting is relatively easy but it's harder than voting. Those people do vote. There simply aren't very many of them. 1% of the population would be considered a YUGE protest... yet that is nowhere near enough to swing most votes.

It's the same reason that Bernie can't win. It's not that his supporters don't vote. He just doesn't have that many supporters. The few he has are super vocal but that doesn't make their votes count any more than those of the "silent majority" i.e. white Christians who like things just the way they are...
:notwrong:

My question is...does protesting (in general) really change people's minds to actually make a difference in numbers?
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
CaleDeRoo
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 4172
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:46 pm
Drives: C5
Location: Western NY

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:41 pm

Sweet baby fucking Jesus this is good.

Image

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 35667
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Gladiatrice

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:41 pm

Apex wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:39 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:22 pm


This statement assumes black people get violent.

The boots on the ground footage from multiple protesters in Philly show crazy ass white people instigating the crowds and being the first to destroy / set fire to a police cruiser. It all devolved from there. Same woman that set fire to the first lit up another 2-3 in various parts of the city.
So you’re telling me that BLM has never been violent?

There are tons of people, of all colors, backgrounds, statuses, etc. doing crazy shit these days. All so they can get on camera and get their 15minutes.
The crux of it all IMO.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 37593
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:52 am
Drives: Blue Meanie
Location: Pepperland

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:42 pm

Apex wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:45 pm
wap wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:44 pm


Dat THICK blue line.
Hey now, Meal Team 6 has nothing to do with this. :lol:
Had to google that. :lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 35667
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Gladiatrice

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:42 pm

CaleDeRoo wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:41 pm
Sweet baby fucking Jesus this is good.

Image
:notbad:

5/7 would try that.

Had a hemp beer from a local place recently, it was dank.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 28081
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:36 pm
Drives: CookieMonster
Location: NJ

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:43 pm

wap wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:42 pm
Apex wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:45 pm


Hey now, Meal Team 6 has nothing to do with this. :lol:
Had to google that. :lolol:
:mahman: I have to bring the funnies in where I can. :lol:

User avatar
CaleDeRoo
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 4172
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:46 pm
Drives: C5
Location: Western NY

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:44 pm

Detroit wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:42 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:41 pm
Sweet baby fucking Jesus this is good.

Image
:notbad:

5/7 would try that.

Had a hemp beer from a local place recently, it was dank.
:iswydt:


This sour even has a hint of pie crust flavor :mindblown:

User avatar
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 37593
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:52 am
Drives: Blue Meanie
Location: Pepperland

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:46 pm

Detroit wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:29 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:22 pm


This statement assumes black people get violent.

The boots on the ground footage from multiple protesters in Philly show crazy ass white people instigating the crowds and being the first to destroy / set fire to a police cruiser. It all devolved from there. Same woman that set fire to the first lit up another 2-3 in various parts of the city.
Also, it's not beach bums in huntington beach. OC is the conservative hub of California. Those are Trumplovers out there protesting freedumbs and looking for an excuse to rile people up.

My wife's entire family lives in HB, they said there's curfews and increased lockdowns right now that's just making things worse apparently.

Meanwhile, we're here in "shitty" MI in our leafy suburban paradise where it's 75 degrees and our local law enforcement is standing with protesters on the sidewalks, and they've closed down some streets to let people have safe space. They're even handing out masks and assisting with social distancing!


That's awesome. You should be proud of your po-po.
:wap: Where are these mangos?

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 35667
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Gladiatrice

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:47 pm

CaleDeRoo wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:44 pm
Detroit wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:42 pm

:notbad:

5/7 would try that.

Had a hemp beer from a local place recently, it was dank.
:iswydt:


This sour even has a hint of pie crust flavor :mindblown:
:impressive: :megusta:
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 28081
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:36 pm
Drives: CookieMonster
Location: NJ

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:48 pm

Sounding board here gave me basically the expected responses from prior postings.

I’ve had a lot of ideas/emotions in my head the last few days with everything, so I spent hours chatting with POC for a different viewpoint. They’re people I’ve known for years and whom I am comfortable speaking openly with. Being open is vitally important when having hard discussions.
Oddly enough we came to nearly the same conclusions and had rather similar views.

User avatar
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 37593
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:52 am
Drives: Blue Meanie
Location: Pepperland

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:48 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:26 pm
Detroit wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:20 pm
What bothers me about all this is that protesting is easy, but doesn't do anything.

People will go out there selfishly to make themselves feel better about who they are...take a bunch of selfies to prove on social media that they care and support injustice, and keep the phone camera rolling while they instigate law enforcement to catch the next viral clip.

But will they push for reform? Nah.
Vote for new people with better views? Nah, most won't even bother going to the polls.

Without the Minnesota protests there would never be murder charges against the policemen that killed George Floyd.
After the charges were brought the protests should have calmed down.

You know it doesn't help that we're in the middle of a pandemic with no offices or stores open and everyone out of work and massively bored.

But yeah, I agree with your statement about voting and reform.
:dat:
And - I'd suggest that if the cop, or better yet all FOUR cops, were arrested immediately after the video came out, instead of just suspended or fired, the protests would've never happened in the first place, or would have been much smaller.
:wap: Where are these mangos?

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 35667
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Gladiatrice

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:50 pm

wap wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:46 pm
Detroit wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:29 pm

Also, it's not beach bums in huntington beach. OC is the conservative hub of California. Those are Trumplovers out there protesting freedumbs and looking for an excuse to rile people up.

My wife's entire family lives in HB, they said there's curfews and increased lockdowns right now that's just making things worse apparently.

Meanwhile, we're here in "shitty" MI in our leafy suburban paradise where it's 75 degrees and our local law enforcement is standing with protesters on the sidewalks, and they've closed down some streets to let people have safe space. They're even handing out masks and assisting with social distancing!


That's awesome. You should be proud of your po-po.
Big time!

We're a bit unique though in that pretty much everyone in our area thinks the same way. We're in quite possibly the most liberal area of MI outside of Ann Arbor.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 17438
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:15 am
Drives: Toyota Ninja Turtle
Location: Hoth

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:52 pm

Well my social distancing campaign ended at least temporarily today. Our 1998 hot water tank sprung a leak yesterday and had to be replaced, naturally it started on Sunday morning so couldn't be addressed until today. While I was out I ordered some cleaning chemicals that I couldn't get delivered to grab via curbside pickup at Walmart and added 2 6-packs to the order. Also took the 100 mile drive to grab one of them contactless Little Caesars deep dish pizzas. I crossed 1300 miles in the 86. :whocares:

Things I learned after being out for the first time since March 12th:

Gas is apparently $1.89 for 87, $2.89 for 93.

Alcohol is still great.

Deep dish pizza is still great.

Even Corning has BLM protesters.

:csb:
Last edited by troyguitar on Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 37593
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:52 am
Drives: Blue Meanie
Location: Pepperland

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:52 pm

Detroit wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:40 pm
troyguitar wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:35 pm
I think that you are :wrong: about the numbers. Protesting is relatively easy but it's harder than voting. Those people do vote. There simply aren't very many of them. 1% of the population would be considered a YUGE protest... yet that is nowhere near enough to swing most votes.

It's the same reason that Bernie can't win. It's not that his supporters don't vote. He just doesn't have that many supporters. The few he has are super vocal but that doesn't make their votes count any more than those of the "silent majority" i.e. white Christians who like things just the way they are...
:notwrong:

My question is...does protesting (in general) really change people's minds to actually make a difference in numbers?
Change minds? Maybe not immediately, but it sure changed laws in the 1960's. Think of the voting rights laws and desegregation laws that Dr. King's protests caused Johnson to sign.
:wap: Where are these mangos?

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests