Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Frontier, Rabbit TDI, G8 GXP

This ride tested me, did a 19mile ride the day before and was asked to come out with a friend to do our normal look (the northern section of the image) and then go into downtown Wilmington and return up some steep, steady hills. I managed it, but I was pretty spent after the hills. Seems like I may have upset my wrists and did a little googling and shows handlebar palsy is a thing? Ordered some gloves to see if that helps on the longer rides.

I also slid into [user not found]'s DMs after he informed me I should remove the reflectors from the wheels and here is a picture of the bike. It now has 170 or so miles on it, which is more than I've put on the Rabbit in the past couple months and while it's had some issues I'm not upset about the purchase yet.

Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

3rdgenfan wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:54 am Image

This ride tested me, did a 19mile ride the day before and was asked to come out with a friend to do our normal look (the northern section of the image) and then go into downtown Wilmington and return up some steep, steady hills. I managed it, but I was pretty spent after the hills. Seems like I may have upset my wrists and did a little googling and shows handlebar palsy is a thing? Ordered some gloves to see if that helps on the longer rides.

I also slid into [user not found]'s DMs after he informed me I should remove the reflectors from the wheels and here is a picture of the bike. It now has 170 or so miles on it, which is more than I've put on the Rabbit in the past couple months and while it's had some issues I'm not upset about the purchase yet.

NICE. Love that bike dude. Also followed on Strava. Didn't know you lived so close. Do you have a MTB as well?

I get the hand numbness too. You can do a few things.
1) Lower tire pressures. Not sure what you weigh, or what size tires you run, but there are online resources to help you figure out tire pressure. Post up weight and tire size here and we can help with recommended pressures.
2) Raise the handlebars. You can do this with a stem that sits at a higher angle.
3) Gel pad inserts underneath your handlebar tape.
4) Core exercises, hold yourself up with your core when possible, you should feel light on your hands. Hold the bars loose, avoid death grip. That way you can let the bike bounce and vibrate and transfer far less of those vibrations into your body via your hands.
5) Sometimes gloves help, sometimes they make it worse, depends on how your body works with the specific gloves.

Lastly, just a suggestion, I'd avoid "cross chaining" if possible. That's going into big-big gear or small-small. It puts the chain at a more extreme angle which can wear it and the sprockets out faster.
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:07 am
3rdgenfan wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:54 am

NICE. Love that bike dude. Also followed on Strava. Didn't know you lived so close. Do you have a MTB as well?

1) Lower tire pressures. Not sure what you weigh, or what size tires you run, but there are online resources to help you figure out tire pressure. Post up weight and tire size here and we can help with recommended pressures.
2) Raise the handlebars. You can do this with a stem that sits at a higher angle.
4) Core exercises, hold yourself up with your core when possible, you should feel light on your hands. Hold the bars loose, avoid death grip. That way you can let the bike bounce and vibrate and transfer far less of those vibrations into your body via your hands.
5) Sometimes gloves help, sometimes they make it worse, depends on how your body works with the specific gloves.

Lastly, just a suggestion, I'd avoid "cross chaining" if possible. That's going into big-big gear or small-small. It puts the chain at a more extreme angle which can wear it and the sprockets out faster.
Thanks! I just caught the notification, I do have a MTB but it's a dusty old Raleigh that needs to be sent out to pasture since its a medium frame but may get the job done for quick jaunts down at Brandywine Creek SP or White Clay Creek SP.

As for the things listed, here are the answers good sir.

1)I am 250lbs, tires are 700x25c (Front is Bontrager R1, rear is Bontrager R2) when I first purchased it they inflated the wheels to 90psi but haven't checked since they swapped the rear tire and tube out.
2)That was also something a friend brought up, I'm not too far hunched over but I can see how that'd assist quite a bit.
3)Currently have the original tape the bike came with (which already shows signs of being fucky) so that is also a solid idea. Is the type of tape a brand preference at all or does it just come down to color/material.
4)I definitely try not to have a death grip unless I'm over some sketchy sections of road and just rest my hands in a semi natural angle on top of the bars but that may be hurting rather than helping
5)Gloves were really just a "why not" thing, I only used them on the MTB rides because the rubber grips were deteriorating rapidly.
Johnny_P

3rdgenfan wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:46 am

Thanks! I just caught the notification, I do have a MTB but it's a dusty old Raleigh that needs to be sent out to pasture since its a medium frame but may get the job done for quick jaunts down at Brandywine Creek SP or White Clay Creek SP.

1)I am 250lbs, tires are 700x25c (Front is Bontrager R1, rear is Bontrager R2) when I first purchased it they inflated the wheels to 90psi but haven't checked since they swapped the rear tire and tube out.
2)That was also something a friend brought up, I'm not too far hunched over but I can see how that'd assist quite a bit.
3)Currently have the original tape the bike came with (which already shows signs of being fucky) so that is also a solid idea. Is the type of tape a brand preference at all or does it just come down to color/material.
4)I definitely try not to have a death grip unless I'm over some sketchy sections of road and just rest my hands in a semi natural angle on top of the bars but that may be hurting rather than helping
5)Gloves were really just a "why not" thing, I only used them on the MTB rides because the rubber grips were deteriorating rapidly.
Alright so I wouldn't necessarily go any lower on tire pressure.

Bar tape, largely just looks and feel preference. Some is tacky/sticky, others are more like leather, others are just cork. All about the same for vibration reduction, really, in that they aren't fantastic but do help some. Gel pads I was referring to could be something like this (there are various mfrs and such)
https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-Cent ... 703&sr=8-1
And then wrap new tape on top of it. Lots of tutorials online / youtube to show you how. You'll probably mess it up at first. It happens. The pads should help a bit with vibration. Next step from there would be a carbon fiber or vibration reducing handlebar which unfortunately can be a ton of money.

Resting hands is fine. Its death grip that will make it worse. However you're most comfortable. Theoretically you should be able to support your upper body without weight on your hands. Like you would if you were riding with just your fingertips on the bar. That's hard to hold for long time.

in4 glove updates
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Got the shorts today. Maybe it helped? Ass still hurts after only 20 minutes.

I assume I need to wash these every day. Do you guys just run the washer daily?
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:14 pm Got the shorts today. Maybe it helped? Ass still hurts after only 20 minutes.

I assume I need to wash these every day. Do you guys just run the washer daily?
I have 4 pair. You might be able to get by with 2 rides before washing. Don’t wear undies underneath them.
Johnny_P

Facebook message from rando dude....
Did you sell this bike if not id be interested. whats the frame size?
I'm assuming he's talking about my mountain bike, but can't be sure as no item is linked and there's no reference to any post...
People buying stuff online are freaking strange.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:12 pm Facebook message from rando dude....
Did you sell this bike if not id be interested. whats the frame size?
I'm assuming he's talking about my mountain bike, but can't be sure as no item is linked and there's no reference to any post...
I have my BMW listed on FB marketplace and the messages I get from there are pure trash.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

3rdgenfan wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:46 am

I gave you a follow as well :like:

I got some SRAM tape as I still had ancient stuff my dad put on my bike probably 20+ years ago. I followed a Park Tool video and took my time and it was pretty easy. I also raised my stem up and am significantly more comfortable. Definitely get the numb hands though, I just love my hands and normally open them up with the bars in the groove between my thumbs and pointer fingers so I can move my fingers around a bit, seems to help :iono:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

D Griff wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:12 pm Facebook message from rando dude....
I have my BMW listed on FB marketplace and the messages I get from there are pure trash.
Why are you not sharing these messages?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Apex
Drives: Abominable

Gberg2119 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:27 am
D Griff wrote:
Why are you not sharing these messages?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Sounds like it would be a fun read.
troyguitar

Just spent about 50-55 minutes doing a 20 minute ride. Took 30-35 minutes of :rage: connecting, disconnecting, opening, closing shit to get the fucking trainer, HR monitor, and Zwift to all talk to each other at the same god damn time.

Ass still hurts doing only 20 minutes. All day every day. Less than it did when doing 60 minutes. How many fucking days does it take to stop hurting?
troyguitar

On the plus side, my neck doesn't hurt nearly as much if I just stare at the floor instead of watching the "road" in front of me.
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

The ass is gonna hurt regardless but it took about a week or so on the roadbike to grow used to it. Although I used to ride rough ass trails so maybe I'm used to it?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:26 pm Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:jimp:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Troy you have a bony ass.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Dan did you get the saddle with the springs from Ron?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

And what's with the cover on the front sprocket? That thing is ugly AF.
Apex

It’s a beautiful area.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Troy: if you want to try an ftp test again, Zwift has a new one starting at 50 watts instead of 100. https://zwiftinsider.com/update-1-0-50775/

In other news, I’m debating an easy lap on the bike tomorrow. I’m stir crazy and need to do something.

2 weeks ago I herniated two discs in my lower back, one of which was pressing on my spinal cord, to the point where I couldn’t walk for two days and lost feeling in my left leg for about a week. A healthy dose of steroids, pain killers and muscle relaxers combined with some stretches has me effectively pain free and feeling...good?

Mercer is flat, smooth and easy. I’ll likely hop on the rebuilt Occam and take an easy spin.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:59 pm
Apex wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:45 pm It’s a beautiful area.
:dat:

People don’t picture this stuff when they think NJ.
Nope, and it’s why I love the state.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

just had first bike ride in the hills of the neighborhood. 2.5 miles. I feel bad. it was redicilous.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Another 20 mins down, much less :rage: today since I got the zwift pairing shit done with only a couple of resets instead of 30 minutes of fucking around.

My ass still hurts but the rides seem to be a lot more tolerable now, though I made multiple changes at once so I don't know what each change did:

Reduce duration from 60 minutes to 20
Add Depends
Lean forward a LOT more, like 60/40 hoods/drops instead of 90/10 tops/hoods
Stare at the floor instead of the "road" on the screen

I do know that the last one was a big help despite it meaning that I won't be able to ride outside any time soon. Apparently my neck is the reason I hate the drop bars, not my arms/core strength. It's an old hockey injury that I haven't figured out yet, I was planning to see a PT about it this year right before the apocalypse hit... :doomed:

Hopefully this is about the right amount of exercise for the pain to go down over time. I'm still kind of shopping saddles. My best guess as to a measurement of my "sit bone width" is 8cm. That's so narrow it's below the bottom of the scale on the Ergon saddle selector. Their "small" sizes are said to fit 9-12cm widths. Maybe there's a kiddie-sized saddle that would work? I'm also thinking about trying something more MTB-touring-oriented so it'll be made to work with a middle-of-the-road upright-ish seating position. Dunno. What I have now is at least bearable for 20 mins with diapers. :whocares:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:03 pm Dan did you get the saddle with the springs from Ron?
:lolol: not quite. My mom actually purchased this bike new as a gift for my dad when they got engaged (83 I think). He got the seat at some point in the 80s. It’s pretty damn comfy honestly, :aintcare: that it isn’t serious cycle bro approved.

The disc I put on in college, I used the bike to ride to school and sometimes wore jeans/pants that would get dirty from the chain. It works :iono:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:15 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:03 pm Dan did you get the saddle with the springs from Ron?
:lolol: not quite. My mom actually purchased this bike new as a gift for my dad when they got engaged (83 I think). He got the seat at some point in the 80s. It’s pretty damn comfy honestly, :aintcare: that it isn’t serious cycle bro approved.

The disc I put on in college, I used the bike to ride to school and sometimes wore jeans/pants that would get dirty from the chain. It works :iono:
looks similar to the seat on the wife's bike which is totes comfortable for my wide aas
brain go brrrrrr