OT 18: Anti-Social Distancing

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Wocka Wocka wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:17 am
Detroit wrote: Oh yes! Our house his built "balloon frame" which means the same piece of wood extends from the foundation all the way to the roof...probably 30 feet or so? They stopped this method of building because we cut down all the trees tall enough to do it.

Plus the old growth oak in our house with insane grain patterns also doesn't exist anymore. You literally cannot build houses like they used to.

And that's not entirely a bad thing, we've gotten more creative with building supplies and renewable stuff, which is probably good for the environment overall.
It’s also not good in a fire. The entire house goes up like matchstick if it gets in the walls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. See my post above.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:21 am
Wocka Wocka wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:17 am
It’s also not good in a fire. The entire house goes up like matchstick if it gets in the walls.

That too.

Someone at some point installed what I assume are fire shields or something in the basement, which might help a tad. :iono: If I die, I die.
Would help if a fire started in the basement, but worthless if a fire started on the first floor.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

wap wrote:
Detroit wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:21 am That too.

Someone at some point installed what I assume are fire shields or something in the basement, which might help a tad. :iono: If I die, I die.
Would help if a fire started in the basement, but worthless if a fire started on the first floor.
:dat:

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:31 am
Detroit wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:21 am
That too.

Exactly. :aintcare:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:A reminder if you have double hung windows:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... cation.uk1
:thanksobama:

ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:53 am A reminder if you have double hung windows:

:science:

All my upper windows are painted shut, but I did replace the sash cords in a number of the sashes so they stay open. Still, too hot to have the windows open, just running the AC instead.

:waxer:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

Wife just informed me that we do have some full length screens. I’ll try that tonight when I open up.

Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Wocka Wocka wrote:
[user not found] wrote:A reminder if you have double hung windows:

Wait. What? How did I not know this.

I don’t think I have full length screens though.

That’s my problem.

:therapist:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:38 pm
Wocka Wocka wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:32 pm Wife just informed me that we do have some full length screens. I’ll try that tonight when I open up.

You can also really hack it with a box fan blowing in on ones side of the house and sucking out on the other.
I've had great success with this.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:28 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:53 am A reminder if you have double hung windows:

All my upper windows are painted shut, but I did replace the sash cords in a number of the sashes so they stay open. Still, too hot to have the windows open, just running the AC instead.

Oh man, I replaced so many sash cords over the years. Kind of a satisfying project once the windows work correctly again. I'm actually a bit :amaze: that you can even find new sash cord in the hardware store. I thought it'd be a bit like trying to buy a buggy whip, but I guess there are still enough old houses around to justify the continued manufacture of it.
Question, are you replacing with actual new cord (cotton rope) or chain? I've heard that cord actually lasts longer than chain so I've been using cord. I guess that's believable based on how many original cords I still have that haven't broken yet after 114 years. :impressive: , really.
wap

Wocka Wocka wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:32 pm Wife just informed me that we do have some full length screens. I’ll try that tonight when I open up.

You can also really hack it with a box fan blowing in on ones side of the house and sucking out on the other.
A whole :haus: attic fan is fantastic at this. Got one that was installed 67 years ago that works like a fucking champ. Pulls in air strongly from every open window in the house.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:36 pm The study from Stanford that was "this ain't bad" was funded by the guy that owns Jet Blue and is being investigated as potentially fraudulent :lolol:
A Corp exec funding a study that pushes their beliefs? :shocked: that’s impossible!

:lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:39 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:28 pm

Oh man, I replaced so many sash cords over the years. Kind of a satisfying project once the windows work correctly again. I'm actually a bit :amaze: that you can even find new sash cord in the hardware store. I thought it'd be a bit like trying to buy a buggy whip, but I guess there are still enough old houses around to justify the continued manufacture of it.
Question, are you replacing with actual new cord (cotton rope) or chain? I've heard that cord actually lasts longer than chain so I've been using cord. I guess that's believable based on how many original cords I still have that haven't broken yet after 114 years. :impressive: , really.
When we bought the house, I identified a number of windows that needed the sash cords replaced. I put it off until quarantine when I was stuck in the office with both windows inop. I went to the local Ace, and not only did they have "sash cord" in the rope section, but they also had "sash chain" by the foot in the hardware section. The chain would have been triple the price of the cotton/nylon (it's a blend with a nylon core and cotton outter), so I just went with the cord. After doing it, the chain would have been much more of a pain, so I'm happy with my decision. There's tons of old houses in our area, so I suspect this might be unique to our area.

My windows are a mega bitch to get at the weights though. The only access doors are on the outter window channel, which have been painted shut for decades. After scraping paint off, getting the access doors out was a PITA, and putting them back in was even worse. One window I need to repair because I broke it, and fortunately found some old window channel under the porch (where there's tons of ancient scrapwood from building the house). I'm debating if it's worth the hassle of repairing, or if we should just replace the windows on the 2nd floor. They're old AF, but nothing special. In decent shape, but require quite a bit of work. In addition, someone put storm windows on in the 80's, and they've weathered pretty poorly. Replacing the windows would be a nice improvement. Probably $10k :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:42 pm

A whole :haus: attic fan is fantastic at this. Got one that was installed 67 years ago that works like a fucking champ. Pulls in air strongly from every open window in the house.
They do work great, just take up a lot of space. We don't have anywhere practical to put one.
Apex

Looks like the office is going to start moving people back in starting on June 8th, with additional waves of people going back in July and August based on how June works out.
:sad: I’ll have to put shoes on to work.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:51 pm Looks like the office is going to start moving people back in starting on June 8th, with additional waves of people going back in July and August based on how June works out.
Are there aspects of your job that will be made better by returning to the office?
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

wap wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:24 am
:dat: :haus: :jimp:
180 degrees of "Get the fuck off my lawn!" porch to choose from.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

wap wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:42 pm

:notsure:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I've only seen a few houses down here with an attic fan, it's an interesting piece of equipment.
Such whoosh.

Not really useful with our liquid lava air climate. Central HVAC has taken over since the 70's.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:02 pm
Apex wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:51 pm Looks like the office is going to start moving people back in starting on June 8th, with additional waves of people going back in July and August based on how June works out.
Are there aspects of your job that will be made better by returning to the office?
It’s easier to look over my cube wall when I have a quick question.
But not really. We bought another bank and did a full conversion for them working remotely; so we really don’t need to be in an office.
All client support is fine being remote. No one knows where I am since I have a soft phone with my same desk number.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:02 pm
But not really. We bought another bank and did a full conversion for them working remotely; so we really don’t need to be in an office.
All client support is fine being remote. No one knows where I am since I have a soft phone with my same desk number.
Well, hopefully they don't make you go through too much :bs: or put you at unnecessary risk just to go into the office for no reason.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:10 pm I've only seen a few houses down here with an attic fan, it's an interesting piece of equipment.
Such whoosh.

Not really useful with our liquid lava air climate. Central HVAC has taken over since the 70's.
Yea, you guys NEED central AC. No way around that.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:18 pm
Apex wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:17 pm

Well, hopefully they don't make you go through too much :bs: or put you at unnecessary risk just to go into the office for no reason.
I’m scheduled for phase 3, so we’ll see what happens. My office is in a 10 story building, on the 7th floor. Lots can change in the next few months.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:19 pm
Melon wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:10 pm I've only seen a few houses down here with an attic fan, it's an interesting piece of equipment.
Such whoosh.

Some say, you're still sweating from that day in June.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Melon wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:31 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:19 pm
Some say, you're still sweating from that day in June.
:hue: