Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:11 am Golden comments on jackstandgate:

Its a vast left wing conspiracy. Its fake news. I used their jack stands once and I didn't die....so this is all lies.

The flu kills more people than harbor freight jack stands...

Dying *with* a car on top of you is not the same as dying *of* a car on top of you.

How would you feel if they failed? Crushed
:amazing:

Also, am I the only one that "stores" the wheels/tires under the rockers when off the car and on jack stands? I've always been :notsure: about jackstands in general, and the wheel/tire under the rockers should afford you enough room to escape or at least not die in the event of jackstand failure. :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:15 am

Its a vast left wing conspiracy. Its fake news. I used their jack stands once and I didn't die....so this is all lies.

Dying *with* a car on top of you is not the same as dying *of* a car on top of you.

Also, am I the only one that "stores" the wheels/tires under the rockers when off the car and on jack stands? I've always been :notsure: about jackstands in general, and the wheel/tire under the rockers should afford you enough room to escape or at least not die in the event of jackstand failure. :iono:
that or leave the jack up with some load on it.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:21 am

I do that if the wheels aren't coming off, for sure.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:53 am I was hoping that my jack stands were in the recall so I could get them out of the apartment. I haven't used the 6-tons in 5+ years since I don't have heavy cars anymore. Got 4 of those big stands just taking up space here along with the big steel jack that I also haven't used in years.

Even though they're not in the recall I'm sure they're worthless now and it seems dumb to throw them away.
The 6 ton ones are taller, so I use them to get the car higher up off the ground. It becomes very handy when I need to pull a trans.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

:word:

That's why I bought them originally, but I don't see myself using them again. Not out of fear, but I don't see doing that kind of work again without having my own lift. Guess I could just throw toss them at the dump.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:54 am :word:

That's why I bought them originally, but I don't see myself using them again. Not out of fear, but I don't see doing that kind of work again without having my own lift. Guess I could just throw toss them at the dump.
Pay $0.25 for a cart at Aldi, fill it with jack stands, and get scrap money for the whole shebang.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I either do that or leave the jack itself On the car near where I’m working. So something catches it if the stand fails.

I also make sure each jack stand is rated to hold 2x the entire car.
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:12 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:54 am :word:

Pay $0.25 for a cart at Aldi, fill it with jack stands, and get scrap money for the whole shebang.
Steal a cart from Acme and fill it with manhole covers right off the street and make even more money.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Huckleberry wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:48 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:53 am I was hoping that my jack stands were in the recall so I could get them out of the apartment. I haven't used the 6-tons in 5+ years since I don't have heavy cars anymore. Got 4 of those big stands just taking up space here along with the big steel jack that I also haven't used in years.

Even though they're not in the recall I'm sure they're worthless now and it seems dumb to throw them away.
The 6 ton ones are taller, so I use them to get the car higher up off the ground. It becomes very handy when I need to pull a trans.
Exhibit A:
A mid 2000s automotive performance product from GM, in its natural habitat.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Throw them up for free on CL or FB Marketplace and they'll be gone in no time.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:42 am
Huckleberry wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:48 am

Exhibit A:
A mid 2000s automotive performance product from GM, in its natural habitat.
Eh. It just needed a new clutch.
Put in an LS7 clutch kit and she was on her way.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

I was taught to do this decades ago. Cheap insurance. I just assumed everyone did it, unless they don't want to risk damage to their :ramz:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:21 am

I do (did) :dat: , too.
Belt and suspenders.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:07 pm

I was taught to do this decades ago. Cheap insurance. I just assumed everyone did it, unless they don't want to risk damage to their :ramz:
The act of not doing that to preserve your :ramz: implies that you'd rather die than scratch your :ramz:

:nope: :nope: :nope:
:nope: :wtf: :nope:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
wap wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:07 pm I was taught to do this decades ago. Cheap insurance. I just assumed everyone did it, unless they don't want to risk damage to their :ramz:
The act of not doing that to preserve your :ramz: implies that you'd rather die than scratch your :ramz:

:ramz: are lyfe.

I would literally die if I curbed one of my SSR's.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:21 pm

Stance lyfe creates some hard decisions :bruh:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

:dat: :dat: :dat: :dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:23 pm

Stance lyfe creates some hard decisions :bruh:
:lolol: :disgust:
wap

Oh I agree to not do that to save your :ramz: over your life is completely :fullretard: . I never hesitated to put a tar under a car after removing it while jacked, regardless of :ramz:
max225

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Dem Ferrarios.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

Some gold in the comments:

"The water was fortunate to put out the engine fires."
"This caused hundreds of dollars in damage to those cars."
"Oh man, that's like $270 just washed away."
"I guess one good thing came from this disaster."
"From near worthless to totally worthless. What a shame"
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:54 pm
Some gold in the comments:

"The water was fortunate to put out the engine fires."
"This caused hundreds of dollars in damage to those cars."
"Oh man, that's like $270 just washed away."
"I guess one good thing came from this disaster."
"From near worthless to totally worthless. What a shame"
Those are major roasts
max225

In case anyone wonders ... the Conti esc tires are about 2mpg Worse than the stock run craps. Went from 26-8 to 24-26.

:whocares: