Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Interview yesterday with the chemical company in DE went well. 2+ hours of zoom calls, 2 separate interviews. TBD what happens. I think I did well though.

Interview set up next week for trash incinerator power company local to Philly region. Useless recruiter bro says they make decisions fast after just 1 interview, so..... neat? This position would be a 3rd party hire through recruiter bro's shitty company for unspecified duration. I'ma make it clear to these guys that I'm not interested in working for a staffing company.

Don't want either job. But it's pay and medical bennies, baby. Significant decrease in pay (sucks) and responsibility (maybe not a bad thing). Position would be basically what I had when I got my first job. Not gonna look good on a resume.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:33 pm Interview yesterday with the chemical company went well. 2+ hours of zoom calls, 2 separate interviews. TBD what happens. I think I did well though.

Interview set up next week for trash incinerator power company. Useless recruiter bro says they make decisions fast after just 1 interview, so..... neat?

Don't want either job. But it's pay and medical bennies, baby. Significant decrease in pay (sucks) and responsibility (maybe not a bad thing). Position would be basically what I had when I got my first job. Not gonna look good on a resume.
I’d think that given the timeline of your resume, your next gig after this upcoming one will be pretty understanding of why you backslid.
Johnny_P

What would y'all do? Been a month on trumpemployment now. Taking forever to hear back from job apps, even if I have an "in" at the company and they're actively hiring. Don't want either of these jobs, I won't be happy in them long term. Take it and keep looking? Pass it up and ride out .gov bennies while trying to find my dream job as a stay at home astronaut?
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:37 pm What would y'all do? Been a month on trumpemployment now. Taking forever to hear back from job apps, even if I have an "in" at the company and they're actively hiring. Don't want either of these jobs, I won't be happy in them long term. Take it and keep looking? Pass it up and ride out .gov bennies while trying to find my dream job as a stay at home astronaut?
I’d personally take it, but I’m more risk averse when it comes to jobs since I’ve been out of work for 3+ months at a time before. Especially with the baby on the way, the benefits will likely add up to far more than you’re getting from unemployment.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:37 pm What would y'all do? Been a month on trumpemployment now. Taking forever to hear back from job apps, even if I have an "in" at the company and they're actively hiring. Don't want either of these jobs, I won't be happy in them long term. Take it and keep looking? Pass it up and ride out .gov bennies while trying to find my dream job as a stay at home astronaut?
:impressive:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I would say that you’d be better off taking tangible experience whether it is a step back or not. You can explain it during these crazy times “the pandemic caused a lot of job market adjustments, and I had a baby on the way, so my goal was to get myself into a position of stable income and maybe learn some new things in this role. My goal is always long term, so I don’t mind taking a step back to go 2 steps forward.”

:iono:

I’d value that job stability and income stability over having a long gap between work experience/employment and that unemployment bennies will eventually run out (including the $600 federal bonus).

But that’s just me. Like I said, you might hate it, but you might love it. You have some money saved away, and you lived pretty frugally before. Let your current savings earn you on investments while your new salary pays monthly obligations. Less responsibility may be a good thing because you can probably be a true 9-5 and spend time with family and baby.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P

razr390 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:44 pm
I would say that you’d be better off taking tangible experience whether it is a step back or not. You can explain it during these crazy times “the pandemic caused a lot of job market adjustments, and I had a baby on the way, so my goal was to get myself into a position of stable income and maybe learn some new things in this role. My goal is always long term, so I don’t mind taking a step back to go 2 steps forward.”

I’d value that job stability and income stability over having a long gap between work experience/employment and that unemployment bennies will eventually run out (including the $600 federal bonus).

But that’s just me. Like I said, you might hate it, but you might love it. You have some money saved away, and you lived pretty frugally before. Let your current savings earn you on investments while your new salary pays monthly obligations. Less responsibility may be a good thing because you can probably be a true 9-5 and spend time with family and baby.
This chemical company expects 9 hr days as the norm from their salary people. Plus an hour drive to/from.... Every day is then 11 hours. Barf. But... pay and bennies. So theres that.

I really wish things pan out with this pharma company I briefly interviewed with this week. They're in a skyscraper downtown. 15 min commute, 30 mins less each day expected, 2 hours a day more with the fam.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:41 pm
:impressive:
I'm really good at video games. I think I'd be a great mars rover driver. :dillerman:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:49 pm

This chemical company expects 9 hr days as the norm from their salary people. Plus an hour drive to/from.... Every day is then 11 hours. Barf. But... pay and bennies. So theres that.

I really wish things pan out with this pharma company I briefly interviewed with this week. They're in a skyscraper downtown. 15 min commute, 30 mins less each day expected, 2 hours a day more with the fam.
Don't forget lunch and traffic, easily 12+ hrs/day at that point. :disgust:

I'd at least take June to try to get an offer that you don't hate, you have trumpbux for several months right?
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:08 pm

Don't forget lunch and traffic, easily 12+ hrs/day at that point. :disgust:

I'd at least take June to try to get an offer that you don't hate, you have trumpbux for several months right?
Yeah trumpbux was extended a few extra months. The time commitment and fact that it’s just another run down shitty work environment isn’t really appealing. I’d ace the job. Basic bitch engineer position so I better ace it but still.

The incinerator place would be better overall but it’s working for that crappy staffing agency with their crap bennies and meh hourly rate. But more in line with where I want to take my career and wouldn’t appear to be Too much of a step down in rank. Would feel odd going hourly and 3rd party staff, in my experience those people are first to get canned if anything happens to company capital spend.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Obviously not ideal. My post wasn’t advice specific to a company buybratger my general thoughts re: job vs no job
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

My $.02
I'd take it because you need insurance for pending :baby: .
Keep looking for a better job and don't even mention this one on your resume. Any potential employer would/should understand an employment gap during Covfefe-19. If it comes up in an interview you can just say that you took something short term just to get by. I did something similar the last time I was unemployed. I took some short term (sometimes 1 day) gigs through a temp agency just to make some bux for a few months until I got my current job.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

:notbad: advice.
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:08 pm
My $.02
Keep looking for a better job and don't even mention this one on your resume. Any potential employer would/should understand an employment gap during Covfefe-19. If it comes up in an interview you can just say that you took something short term just to get by. I did something similar the last time I was unemployed. I took some short term (sometimes 1 day) gigs through a temp agency just to make some bux for a few months until I got my current job.
Yeah that could work.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

wap wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:08 pm
My $.02
:notbad: I know nothing of birthing babies but assume you’re basically fucked/bankrupt sans insurance? That would be the deciding factor for me.

Personally if there’s anything you’ve interviewed for that you prefer and haven’t heard from, I’d call them and be honest, let them know you have an offer in hand and are ready to start working but you’d rather come work for them. You’re playing your hand early from a negotiating stand point but you could wind up in a non crap job, worth risking an extra $5k annually or whatever IMO. I don’t much salary negotiation is going on at this point anyway.
wap

Yea from what I understand it costs five figures to plop out a :baby: . And, God forbid, if there are complications that require more intense medical attention that figure could go up a LOT.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:49 pm This chemical company expects 9 hr days as the norm from their salary people. Plus an hour drive to/from.... Every day is then 11 hours. Barf. But... pay and bennies. So theres that.

My guys are scheduled 7-5 M-F and every fourth Saturday. When we come back from this lockdown mess, I’m going to rotate in a floating day off for the long week.

I’ve interviewed at dealers that schedule advisors 7-7 5 days a week, then 7-6 the following week when you work a Saturday, too. When I worked at Porsche, I would leave the house at 545am and get home at 715pm most days.
Johnny_P

Was supposed to have a phone interview today with a energy from waste power generation company.

30 mins go by, no call. Call the recruiter bro that set it up. Dude says as of last night it was still on, he didn't know why they didn't call me. But said this guy had ghosted a few other candidates this week due to some issues he was sorting out in the office.

:wtf: you can't take 2 mins to call a candidate, explain that you need to reschedule and sorry for the inconvenience?
Johnny_P

Follow up to this. The company went dark and ghosted me. Recruiter lady that organized it said she'd call me yesterday which didn't happen.

I guess I need to work harder.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:31 am Was supposed to have a phone interview today with a energy from waste power generation company.

30 mins go by, no call. Call the recruiter bro that set it up. Dude says as of last night it was still on, he didn't know why they didn't call me. But said this guy had ghosted a few other candidates this week due to some issues he was sorting out in the office.

:wtf: you can't take 2 mins to call a candidate, explain that you need to reschedule and sorry for the inconvenience?
I was ghosted by Google twice last fall in a similar manner. Turned me off from the company entirely.

Wife has been experiencing the same recently. Why there's zero respect for candidate's time is beyond me.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:34 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:31 am Was supposed to have a phone interview today with a energy from waste power generation company.

I was ghosted by Google twice last fall in a similar manner. Turned me off from the company entirely.

Wife has been experiencing the same recently. Why there's zero respect for candidate's time is beyond me.
I guess when you have a pool of 40 applicants all qualified it doesn't matter if you ghost a few. I've hired plenty of people, and every time it comes down to about 15 fully qualified people that would be perfect fits for the position. The employer has all the power in this situation. Even moreso now with 20% of the country unemployed.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Yeah, employees are a dime a dozen. There is no incentive to treat them well. Other than basic human decency, but that doesn't add shareholder value...
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:45 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:34 am

I guess when you have a pool of 40 applicants all qualified it doesn't matter if you ghost a few. I've hired plenty of people, and every time it comes down to about 15 fully qualified people that would be perfect fits for the position. The employer has all the power in this situation. Even moreso now with 20% of the country unemployed.
The only thing I'll say....

If you took the time to schedule an apt to talk to someone, out of respect for that person, you should take the 10 seconds it requires to write an e-mail. Here:

Dear Dude,

I'm sorry something came up and I won't be able to make our appointment today. We will be in contact with you soon to reschedule.

-auto signature

I timed it, that took me 12 seconds to type. I guess that extra 2 seconds is too much.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:47 am Yeah, employees are a dime a dozen. There is no incentive to treat them well. Other than basic human decency, but that doesn't add shareholder value...
:dat:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:47 am Yeah, employees are a dime a dozen. There is no incentive to treat them well. Other than basic human decency, but that doesn't add shareholder value...
At the refinery, when I was engineering manager, I had an engineer come to me and ask for a raise. He'd been there 5 years and was reviewed well. I said I would discuss it with the VP and see what I can do.

Discussion with VP went something like this. I said so and so would like a raise and I support it, been here however long, done whatever good for the company etc. Response was, he's not getting a raise, he needs to perform better to get one, and if he's upset and leaves then that's fine because we have direct hire pipelines with the local universities and we can easily find someone cheaper as this is an entry position he's in.

:wtf:

Last year a friend of mine reached out and said he wants to start a consulting company. Would like me on board. This guy was going to be on the team. I flat out said I won't work for him again, I'd work alongside him, but not putting myself through that once more. Never heard back.

:ohwell: