Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:29 pm
wap wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:04 pm :nice:
I strongly suggest you practice staining on some scrap wood of the same wood species as the treads. It's pretty easy to get the hang of it with just a little practice, but you want to make any mistakes on a piece of scrap first. :like:
Will do, it's not the same wood but I have raw pine in the garage to play with. I have no clue how they stained the wood we had installed so I'm trying to get that grey wash look by adding grayish white paint to the wood and wiping most of it off. Then I want to add a low shine varnish to coat and seal the whole thing. I even bought the paint, but when I asked my buddy he rolled his eyes but didn't tell me what he was thinking. Maybe they have an all-in-one product. I need to follow up with him to see what he was thinking.
Doing a paint wash like that should work too, just practice a few times until you get your technique down.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:38 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:29 pm

Will do, it's not the same wood but I have raw pine in the garage to play with. I have no clue how they stained the wood we had installed so I'm trying to get that grey wash look by adding grayish white paint to the wood and wiping most of it off. Then I want to add a low shine varnish to coat and seal the whole thing. I even bought the paint, but when I asked my buddy he rolled his eyes but didn't tell me what he was thinking. Maybe they have an all-in-one product. I need to follow up with him to see what he was thinking.
Doing a paint wash like that should work too, just practice a few times until you get your technique down.
:notwrong: :neat:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Alrighty! We've got some Canada Covid update (CC19)!

Lots and lots of painting, and a failed attempt at matching the stain so I stuck to what I could do. Last night I sanded spindles until my eyes went cross and today I painted touch up primer and the final semi-gloss on the upper risers. I also started priming and painting the spindles and will do more tonight. I hate leaving the stairs opened but it will be the case for at least one or two nights. I dont think I'll get to the staining this week. I'm too scared, but who knows.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The good/great:

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

And the bad, :sad:

My grey wash is waay off... I might get a small squirt of black and mix it into the paint until it reaches the grey that I want.

wap

You'll get there!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I think I've got it, platinum grey, satin silver mixed with polyurethane. :fuckyeah:

wap

Oh that looks great!
Well done.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:08 pm Oh that looks great!
Well done.
Thank you Waptastic, I appreciate your support greatly. This whole thing came down to the stain, it is the make or break point of DIY stair refinishing. I'm really glad I could make it work. Tomorrow is a big day, I'm doing every second stair, confidence growing with each one I finish (I'm on #4 right now).

I needed this win to feel okay about myself and what I'm doing here. I've been on shakey ground and I'm really called into question a lot of things about myself in this really weird moment in my life. This is a crazy time man (the COVID thing, not the stairs).
wap

Tarspin wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:00 pm
wap wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:08 pm Oh that looks great!
Well done.
Thank you Waptastic, I appreciate your support greatly. This whole thing came down to the stain, it is the make or break point of DIY stair refinishing. I'm really glad I could make it work. Tomorrow is a big day, I'm doing every second stair, confidence growing with each one I finish (I'm on #4 right now).

I needed this win to feel okay about myself and what I'm doing here. I've been on shakey ground and I'm really called into question a lot of things about myself in this really weird moment in my life. This is a crazy time man (the COVID thing, not the stairs).
:fuckyeah: that things are working out so well for you.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:20 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:00 pm

:fuckyeah: that things are working out so well for you.
Yeah not bad

:like:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

FML. I'm not going to take a picture right now but I can literally count myself back four days with a single err in judgement.

I knocked over the sealer two hours ago from the second last step on the top floor. It hit the landing and continued its decent to the basement. Literally everything got sprayed with the stuff. Walls, raw floors, trim work, everything. Fucking tiles in the basement.

I'm literally going to loose my shit, and then I'm going to sleep. When I wake up I gotta take a deep breath and start all over again minus the top half of the second staircase. Deep breath.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Tarspin wrote:FML. I'm not going to take a picture right now but I can literally count myself back four days with a single err in judgement.

I knocked over the sealer two hours ago from the second last step on the top floor. It hit the landing and continued its decent to the basement. Literally everything got sprayed with the stuff. Walls, raw floors, trim work, everything. Fucking tiles in the basement.

I'm literally going to loose my shit, and then I'm going to sleep. When I wake up I gotta take a deep breath and start all over again minus the top half of the second staircase. Deep breath.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

Tarspin wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:34 am FML. I'm not going to take a picture right now but I can literally count myself back four days with a single err in judgement.

:hellno: :angrypanda:

Fuck man. That sucks.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:46 am
Tarspin wrote:FML. I'm not going to take a picture right now but I can literally count myself back four days with a single err in judgement.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
Fucking scene out of Kill Bill
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Tarspin wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:34 am FML. I'm not going to take a picture right now but I can literally count myself back four days with a single err in judgement.

brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:46 am

Yep. :derp:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I think I'm going to have a coffee and take it easy for a half hour and then start sanding shit off the walls.

My plan is to paint three walls that got speckled. I think that I have left over paint in the basement. While drying I'll do a single coat of baseboard paint on the freshly trim work. I wiped most of it off with wet rags right when it happened. The floors that I already stained were nearly dry so they wiped easily, and one was pretty wet, so I might need to scrape it down and redo. The basement stairs are all wiped down but have blotches so maybe a light sanding might do the trick. I think that will get me back on track unless the stain doesn't cover the blotches, then I'm sanding and scraping again.

I hate proving Brad right. :lol:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Tarspin wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:04 am I think I'm going to have a coffee and take it easy for a half hour and then start sanding shit off the walls.

My plan is to paint three walls that got speckled. I think that I have left over paint in the basement. While drying I'll do a single coat of baseboard paint on the freshly trim work. I wiped most of it off with wet rags right when it happened. The floors that I already stained were nearly dry so they wiped easily, and one was pretty wet, so I might need to scrape it down and redo. The basement stairs are all wiped down but have blotches so maybe a light sanding might do the trick. I think that will get me back on track unless the stain doesn't cover the blotches, then I'm sanding and scraping again.

Times like these I hate being right.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Tarspin wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:04 am I think I'm going to have a coffee and take it easy for a half hour and then start sanding shit off the walls.

:pouroneout:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:55 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:46 am

put the edibles down.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:54 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:55 am

put the edibles down.
I was out. Two bourbons and a beer :doe:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:59 am
dubshow wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:54 am

put the edibles down.
Try one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer next time.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

dubshow wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:00 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:59 am

Try one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer next time.
:iswydt:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Getting better, these two stairs were saved and I scraped most of the shit off of the other two.

I'm going to have to repaint a few walls :doe: , but spindles first. I've been pushing hard to get safe measures in place so I can't lose sight of that.

:disgust: :

More carnage:

My optimism is returning :fuckyeah: