OT 17: WELCOME TO THE CORONADOME!

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

today or actually yesterday, we began to run out of some provisions so I had to venture out into Corona dome today.

holy shit. The screens up at grocery stores to separate people from their what I assume to be spittle spray, lines everywhere, target had hardly fucking anything on the shelves. Communism would not serve me well. however Costco and the other few stores I went to seem to have most everything except for paper products such as the elusive toilet paper. not that I was looking for it, but I find it funny to check.
I was unable to find the special dairy-free milk that the child needs, but I did find the vanilla version so we went with that. Costco also had the almond milk which I bought extra of. I got our prescriptions, I got some beers I got some wine I got various packaged meats for us to cook and grill and freeze if necessary, so I think we're good for another couple of weeks.

And then I went and rode my motorcycle for a few hours. come at me bro some people might call that irresponsible, but I was by myself I didn't have to talk to anybody, and I got gas at a gas station in the middle one nowhere, which I overpaid for $2 a fucking gallon for regular what the hell, it's like $1.39 at Costco. where the bike holds all 2 gallons so I paid it it moved on with life. it was a very nice motorcycle ride I got to reflect on some things, listen to some good podcasts by the smoking tire, and I've had an overall good day.

tomorrow I'm going to lift and drink excessively
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

"I once tried to start a meetup for local crows, but I was arrested for attempted murder.

Thankfully, I was soon released due to a lack of probable caws."
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:53 pm "I once tried to start a meetup for local crows, but I was arrested for attempted murder.

you need a good signature line Troy this is it
brain go brrrrrr
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Is there a way to pre purchase cheap gas ?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:54 pm Is there a way to pre purchase cheap gas ?
Are you looking for a drum from out of state or something?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:39 pm
I've been fascinated by the Mormon religion for a while, and have had in depth discussions with past co workers who are/were Mormon about the beliefs.

People are quick to judge because of the underlying foundation of the religion, but I think that in practice, Mormons get more right in day-to-day living than many other religions.
:wub:

The church, and the people in it are definitely not without fault, but I agree with you. Most of them are pretty easy going, just doing their own thing, and trying to be good people. One of their “articles of faith”, kind of tenants of the religion, even states that they believe in letting everyone worship how, where, and what they may. Very live and let live.
Regarding the bolded, can you speak to the Mormon practice of Baptism for the Dead? Not trying to hate, but that doesn't seem like they believe in letting everyone worship how, where, and what they may. :iono:
Am I :wrong: about that?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:03 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:54 pm Is there a way to pre purchase cheap gas ?
I’d like buy 2000-3000 gallons of something while I can ... how can I do that?
wap

troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:53 pm "I once tried to start a meetup for local crows, but I was arrested for attempted murder.

:mahman:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:39 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:16 pm I’ll never understand the hate on religion.
ooodfff_fff

switching to voice to text so bear with voice to text.

what it boils down to, it's probably about 10% of the population is fucking retarded intheir own special way. people who like to hate on religion highlight that 10% that go to church who are also dumb just like the 10% who don't go to church. The 10% that don't go to church might be wasted on booze drugs whatever, and a 10% hadoo go to church that happened to escape booze and drugs and whatever, just make other bad decisions.

unfortunately the mega churches prey on that lower 10% and concentrate them, and make them a target.
:word:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I started doing some guestimation :math: on just car sales losses along during this downturn projecting into the next two months and I gotta say that I'm getting sad and scared, while still optimistic and sure footed personally, my emotional stability is less so. I haven't started to wrap my head around deaths globally and more specifically of people I know personally but that meditative inflection awaits, I procrastinate it consciously.

I once defended people who lean on religion, good people that I know like my mom and felt ashamed afterwards, and it isn't even me who is the believer (to the standard definition of the word). I think it is fair to say that people shouldn't be put down for their beliefs, whether they are different or not from our own. I also don't think religion should be putting down various beliefs either, which we all know that they do. I'm not emotionally charged to battle these view points, for me its live and let live.

Dark times my friends.
SAWCE

wap wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:07 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:43 pm

:wub:

The church, and the people in it are definitely not without fault, but I agree with you. Most of them are pretty easy going, just doing their own thing, and trying to be good people. One of their “articles of faith”, kind of tenants of the religion, even states that they believe in letting everyone worship how, where, and what they may. Very live and let live.
Regarding the bolded, can you speak to the Mormon practice of Baptism for the Dead? Not trying to hate, but that doesn't seem like they believe in letting everyone worship how, where, and what they may. :iono:
Sure! I don’t know the full doctrine of it, but most of the names are submitted by current members of the church and they are their ancestors. The names typically date back to before when the church was founded, so it’s a way to offer the choice to accept that baptism (or not) in the afterlife by those people who never got a chance to hear what Mormons believe to be the true word of Christ.

At face value it definitely seems weird, but afaik it’s typically kept within people’s families, and that ties into their beliefs that families are sealed together for eternity, not just in this life.
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:46 pm y'all had an overly rational discussion about religion.

I think I'm going to need a little bit more doom and gloom guys, just kidding.
I was impressed by how well the conversation was handled by everyone.

Covid-19 bringing the world together :lolol:
wap

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:13 pm
wap wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:07 pm
Sure! I don’t know the full doctrine of it, but most of the names are submitted by current members of the church and they are their ancestors. The names typically date back to before when the church was founded, so it’s a way to offer the choice to accept that baptism (or not) in the afterlife by those people who never got a chance to hear what Mormons believe to be the true word of Christ.

At face value it definitely seems weird, but afaik it’s typically kept within people’s families, and that ties into their beliefs that families are sealed together for eternity, not just in this life.
Yea, they "baptisz" plenty of people who have no ties to their church. They baptized Holocaust victims, ffs.
https://apnews.com/992dd887f7b948d0a080 ... s-draw-ire
Mormons are posthumously baptizing Holocaust victims as well as grandparents of public figures like Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton and Steven Spielberg, despite church rules intended to restrict the ceremonies to a member’s ancestors, according to a researcher who has spent two decades monitoring the church’s massive genealogical database.

The discoveries made by former Mormon Helen Radkey and shared with The Associated Press likely will bring new scrutiny to a deeply misunderstood practice that has become a sensitive issue for the church. The church, in a statement, acknowledged the ceremonies violated its policy and said they would be invalidated, while also noting its created safeguards in recent years to improve compliance.
The ceremonies first drew public attention in the 1990s when it was discovered they were performed on a few hundred thousand Holocaust victims, which Jewish leaders condemned as grossly insensitive.

The posthumous baptizing of Holocaust victims reopens Jewish wounds from being forced in the past to convert to Christianity or face death or deportation, Jewish genealogist Gary Mokotoff said.
Has it really stopped :doe: ?
SAWCE

wap wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:23 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:13 pm

Yea, they "baptisz" plenty of people who have no ties to their church. They baptized Holocaust victims, ffs.
https://apnews.com/992dd887f7b948d0a080 ... s-draw-ire
Mormons are posthumously baptizing Holocaust victims as well as grandparents of public figures like Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton and Steven Spielberg, despite church rules intended to restrict the ceremonies to a member’s ancestors, according to a researcher who has spent two decades monitoring the church’s massive genealogical database.

The discoveries made by former Mormon Helen Radkey and shared with The Associated Press likely will bring new scrutiny to a deeply misunderstood practice that has become a sensitive issue for the church. The church, in a statement, acknowledged the ceremonies violated its policy and said they would be invalidated, while also noting its created safeguards in recent years to improve compliance.
The ceremonies first drew public attention in the 1990s when it was discovered they were performed on a few hundred thousand Holocaust victims, which Jewish leaders condemned as grossly insensitive.

The posthumous baptizing of Holocaust victims reopens Jewish wounds from being forced in the past to convert to Christianity or face death or deportation, Jewish genealogist Gary Mokotoff said.
Has it really stopped :doe: ?
Ah yeah that goes beyond my knowledge. I did the ceremony once as a teenager and we had a list of names from my mom’s genealogy work and it was explained to me that that’s how it is typically done.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

By tomorrow morning New York City will have as many deaths from COVID-19 as they did from the September 11 attack.
SAWCE

Put fresh strings on my guitar tonight and went through the first two sets of lessons on the Fender Play app. All stuff I already know: string names, what the parts of the guitar are called, how to tune.. but the lessons are short and I have free time, so why not go through the intro stuff as a refresher :iono: The free trial is 3 months, so if I can sit down for even just 10-15 minutes a day with the app I should get to my current skill level in the lessons pretty quickly and then start learning new stuff over the next few months.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

SAWCE wrote:Put fresh strings on my guitar tonight and went through the first two sets of lessons on the Fender Play app. All stuff I already know: string names, what the parts of the guitar are called, how to tune.. but the lessons are short and I have free time, so why not go through the intro stuff as a refresher :iono: The free trial is 3 months, so if I can sit down for even just 10-15 minutes a day with the app I should get to my current skill level in the lessons pretty quickly and then start learning new stuff over the next few months.
Somebody get this man the :plac: guitar gif STAT
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:08 pm

Hmm that's quite a bit. You might need to buy a bunch of barrels from VP or some place that will have ethanol free fuel. I'd be worried about 2000-3000 gallons going bad.

Actually try some place like this

https://www.atlasoil.com/products/93e10lv
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:08 pm

Dude E85 dropped a whole dollar a gallon two days ago. I filled up the srt for 18 dollars. :hubba:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Well I hope people in upstate/western NY don't end up needing ventilators. :thisisfine:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:10 pm I started doing some guestimation :math: on just car sales losses along during this downturn projecting into the next two months and I gotta say that I'm getting sad and scared, while still optimistic and sure footed personally, my emotional stability is less so. I haven't started to wrap my head around deaths globally and more specifically of people I know personally but that meditative inflection awaits, I procrastinate it consciously.

I once defended people who lean on religion, good people that I know like my mom and felt ashamed afterwards, and it isn't even me who is the believer (to the standard definition of the word). I think it is fair to say that people shouldn't be put down for their beliefs, whether they are different or not from our own. I also don't think religion should be putting down various beliefs either, which we all know that they do. I'm not emotionally charged to battle these view points, for me its live and let live.

Dark times my friends.
Well said, IMO.

Scary times indeed. I am just kind of staying in my bubble to cope at the moment. I’ve been pretty happy most days... but times can be dark.

They announced furloughs at work yesterday.... so far I am off the chopping block :notbad:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:03 am Well I hope people in upstate/western NY don't end up needing ventilators. :thisisfine:
Only NYC matters, Cuomo would be perfectly fine with the rest of the state dying off.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:16 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:03 am Well I hope people in upstate/western NY don't end up needing ventilators. :thisisfine:
My sister left the City for Ithaca about ten days ago. They are planning on GTFO of the state all together shortly. They aren't going to move more than every two weeks but even upstate is feeling like an unwise place to be for them right now.
“First of all, don’t use the word ‘seize.’ I didn’t use that word. It’s a harsh kind of word,” Cuomo said, according to the Daily Gazette of Schenectady, N.Y.

“It’s a sharing of resources,” the governor added.

Yup. "Sharing" as in we will definitely get them back when we need them right?

If she has somewhere else to go I wish her luck and am glad she is fortunate enough to do so.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:17 am Gotta say busting my ass in the yard yesterday felt great. I needed a day off from work even though I was reluctant to take it. I didn't think about shit, got a good sweat going, and got some sunshine. Needed it
:nice:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:20 am
Only NYC matters, Cuomo would be perfectly fine with the rest of the state dying off.
Is it that obvious?