Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:59 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:56 pm What is the actual gain from a CAI, also I find that term misleading as most OEM intakes are actually CAI. But aftermarket conical shit is always WAI
I had a tuner tell me that a CAI does more harm than good if a car's not tuned for it. He claimed they redirect air flow in a way so that the MAF doesn't read 100% accurate, so the engine is getting more or less air than it thinks.

He did say that the more direct airflow when tuned for can actually have a nice gain in performance. BUT nobody tunes for CAIs and are probably resulting in best case same performance as stock.

:derp:
The one the PO installed on my car puts the MAF right below the hood/bumper panel gap. It gets wet when it rains. The car has a 600rpm window where it is driveable when this happens.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:59 pm
I had a tuner tell me that a CAI does more harm than good if a car's not tuned for it. He claimed they redirect air flow in a way so that the MAF doesn't read 100% accurate, so the engine is getting more or less air than it thinks.

He did say that the more direct airflow when tuned for can actually have a nice gain in performance. BUT nobody tunes for CAIs and are probably resulting in best case same performance as stock.

:derp:
The one the PO installed on my car puts the MAF right below the hood/bumper panel gap. It gets wet when it rains. The car has a 600rpm window where it is driveable when this happens.
I think they're all about that placement? IIRC mine was...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:12 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:57 pm

I think they're all about that placement? IIRC mine was...
Probably but now I've got to make something to cover it
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I don't really remember the design details, but I never had any engine issues in plenty of hard rain. Water in the cabin for sure, but not in the intake.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:19 pm I don't really remember the design details, but I never had any engine issues in plenty of hard rain. Water in the cabin for sure, but not in the intake.
I had the vararam shit and it was ok, some water ok filter occasionally but only in extreme cases.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:37 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:21 am

:idbu:

I mean, when it's for sale, I'll believe it isn't :fakenews:

I would almost rather they just spent the dollars on a new motor for the current car, best, most powerful NA four they can muster.

To Troy's point, if the new car is bigger, heavier, and more luxo, the whole point is kind of defeated. But excited to see what they're going to do, hot hatch should be :neat: , especially if it's anything like the GR turboyaris.
I’m in the minority that thinks the existing engine is totally fine as is. Adjust some things to remove the torque dip that everyone loves to bash but otherwise it’s a high revving, light, fun small car that isn’t fucking slow.
I don't disagree to be honest. I think it could be a little better, but would benefit more from an ND1-ND2 type upgrade than bolting a turdbo on the thing. NA > turbro.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:37 pm
max225 wrote:
Well dyno tune :doe: that's the driver for the gainzzz isn't it?
It's the two combined. Changing the system and then tuning it for that change.

Also 25 hp still isn't that much when you're starting out with over 350. In hindsight I wouldn't have bothered.
:dat: even a base C5 has a ton of powah, I don't see much point in more for the things I do with it.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:42 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:37 pm It's the two combined. Changing the system and then tuning it for that change.

Also 25 hp still isn't that much when you're starting out with over 350. In hindsight I wouldn't have bothered.
:dat: even a base C5 has a ton of powah, I don't see much point in more for the things I do with it.
It does...but a heads/cam car is a freaking riot.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:25 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:42 pm

No doubt, adding powah is certainly fun.

After doing a decent amount of track time in it :doe: , you realize driver mod is it. It really comes down to usage.

I am also a dumbass in the C5 on public roads so more powah probably would kill me :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:32 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:25 am

After doing a decent amount of track time in it :doe: , you realize driver mod is it. It really comes down to usage.

I am also a dumbass in the C5 on public roads so more powah probably would kill me :lolol:
On the track, I always wanted more top end in my car...that was my only complaint with it. I sure fixed it, then never did a track day with it. :lolol: fail.

It really does come down to usage though. It's a miracle I never got a ticket or died in my car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:43 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:32 am

On the track, I always wanted more top end in my car...that was my only complaint with it. I sure fixed it, then never did a track day with it. :lolol: fail.

It really does come down to usage though. It's a miracle I never got a ticket or died in my car.
Yeah, hoonestly more top end/revs would be my critique of sorts.

But I typically just keep it in the 3,000-5,500 range on track to keep temps down anyway. More powah means more cracked rotors, broken suspension, boiling power steering fluid, etc.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:09 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:43 am

But I typically just keep it in the 3,000-5,500 range on track to keep temps down anyway. More powah means more cracked rotors, broken suspension, boiling power steering fluid, etc.
All very true.

It's above 5500 that the LS1 starts to feel winded, if you never spend time there then it doesn't matter.

I always liked redlining the car, but the car didn't like it (temps).
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:34 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:09 pm

All very true.

It's above 5500 that the LS1 starts to feel winded, if you never spend time there then it doesn't matter.

I redline it on the street regularly. I still think it's fun up top but certainly could be more rev happy.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:43 pm
All very true.

I redline it on the street regularly. I still think it's fun up top but certainly could be more rev happy.
Oh I did too. It's frantic feeling above 4k in a heads/cam car. Like holding onto a missile. Good times.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Hit a mcnasty pothole at relative low speed. Took it to a local VW dealer for an alignment as I noticed it was pulling a bit. Normally the alignment is $124.95 but they had a “special” over the phone for $79.95 and then I went in and saw a “walk in special” for $59.95

:alpo:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

razr390 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:06 pm Hit a mcnasty pothole at relative low speed. Took it to a local VW dealer for an alignment as I noticed it was pulling a bit. Normally the alignment is $124.95 but they had a “special” over the phone for $79.95 and then I went in and saw a “walk in special” for $59.95

:alpo:
If you didn't tip the guy an all inclusive vacation to the Maldives you're an asshole
Johnny_P

All very true.

Dat silverado engine doe
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:09 pm

Dat silverado engine doe
My 92 with a tree fiddy had a redline of 5k like it was a fucking diesel.

Had gobs of torque :doe: I miss that truck.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:12 pm

Dat silverado engine doe

I like trucks. I should get a truck.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Dat silverado engine doe

Dropped another $700 bucks on the Brahhoe on stuff I forgot to have done a couple of weeks ago. Needed new regulator in rear driver side window and had both diffs and the transfer case serviced.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

:stig:

ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:25 pm

Dropped another $700 bucks on the Brahhoe on stuff I forgot to have done a couple of weeks ago. Needed new regulator in rear driver side window and had both diffs and the transfer case serviced.
:megusta:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:15 pm

Trucks are fun.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:08 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:15 pm

Trucks are fun.
There’s only 2 cars I’ve owned or had in the family that I would buy again. STI is one. And my F150 is another.