It's Not Easy Being (a darker shade of) Green

Strut your greasy stuff!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:50 pm Meh. For better or worse I'm locked into this car through at least 2025. Maybe I'll be in a position to get something special when I turn 40 in late 2025. Until then it's all Toyota all the time.
Seems like a reasonable time frame ? :iono:
:plac: :doe:

I don't really want anything else affordable anyway :doe: so it's not an issue.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

The new Toyota mr-s with the Yaris GRMN supercharged engine is gonna be :jimp:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:53 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:50 pm Meh. For better or worse I'm locked into this car through at least 2025. Maybe I'll be in a position to get something special when I turn 40 in late 2025. Until then it's all Toyota all the time.
Seems like a reasonable time frame ? :iono:
:dat:

It is a sweet car... I don't see the problem. Sure, it's fun to think about other things, but not a requirement.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:16 am
Apex wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:08 am A TRD/STi turbo 86 would be pretty epic. The one downside it has, in the eyes of the masses, is power.
Agreed.

There must be something about the platform or rear end or SOMETHING that can't easily take more power. That or they just don't want to spend the money for a new engine. That's also not cheap with federalization, emissions, etc costs.
The engine is basically a pancake, and the hood line is really, really low. Cylinder heads are pretty much up against the shock towers. There's not a lot of room for a turbo setup at all.
troyguitar

MrH42 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:21 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:16 am
Agreed.

There must be something about the platform or rear end or SOMETHING that can't easily take more power. That or they just don't want to spend the money for a new engine. That's also not cheap with federalization, emissions, etc costs.
The engine is basically a pancake, and the hood line is really, really low. Cylinder heads are pretty much up against the shock towers. There's not a lot of room for a turbo setup at all.
What they should do, but won't if the new car is going turbro and/or TNGA platform, is make an NA version of the Subaru FA 2.4T the same way they made the current 2.0 from the WRX FA 2.0T. The engine is the same external size and same stroke, it's just bored out. It could still rev the same but make a solid 10-20% more torque/power across the board.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

People stuffed a Ferrari 458 engine into the platform can’t be that tough to make it fit
troyguitar

max225 wrote:People stuffed a Ferrari 458 engine into the platform can’t be that tough to make it fit
Eh, aftermarket vs OEM is not even close to the same requirements. Gotta have things like AC plumbing and crumple zones for OEM. That engine also costs more than the car. Moving from the 2.0 to the 2.4 would be relatively cheap, especially since they already sell way more 2.4T-equipped vehicles now.

One thing that will probably happen eventually is the combo of those two: someone will come up with an aftermarket swap kit to put the 2.4 in my car.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Swapping the 2.0 to the 2.4 would be cheap...if they had a naturally aspirated 2.4 ready to drop in. They don't. They have a more torquey, NA 2.5 that makes substantially less power than the current motor, and a turbo 2.4 liter. What's being proposed would mean all new internals, tuning, etc. That's a big cost that wouldn't be worth it.

They'll go to the TNGA platform next gen and have more engine options then.
troyguitar

MrH42 wrote:Swapping the 2.0 to the 2.4 would be cheap...if they had a naturally aspirated 2.4 ready to drop in. They don't. They have a more torquey, NA 2.5 that makes substantially less power than the current motor, and a turbo 2.4 liter. What's being proposed would mean all new internals, tuning, etc. That's a big cost that wouldn't be worth it.

They didn't have an NA 2.0 either. It would be a similar investment (except smaller because the transmission and accessories and mounting and intake and exhaust and chassis are all done) to what they did for 2012... Except they have way more money now and way more 2.4 blocks being made.

WAY WAY WAY cheaper than building a whole new car.

Either way I'm fucking :wrong: as usual.

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

What's the CR on the 2.0? Is it boost friendly? Seems like a super charger would be a good option? :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:34 pm
MrH42 wrote:Swapping the 2.0 to the 2.4 would be cheap...if they had a naturally aspirated 2.4 ready to drop in. They don't. They have a more torquey, NA 2.5 that makes substantially less power than the current motor, and a turbo 2.4 liter. What's being proposed would mean all new internals, tuning, etc. That's a big cost that wouldn't be worth it.

They didn't have an NA 2.0 either. It would be a similar investment (except smaller because the transmission and accessories and mounting and intake and exhaust and chassis are all done) to what they did for 2012... Except they have way more money now and way more 2.4 blocks being made.

:D

Sounds totally feasible when they come out with a new model. Just not something I see them doing with this current body style. :iono:

I'm curious what we get next gen. Should only be a few years away now.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:42 pm What's the CR on the 2.0? Is it boost friendly? Seems like a super charger would be a good option? :iono:
There are a few supercharger kits available.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:42 pm What's the CR on the 2.0? Is it boost friendly? Seems like a super charger would be a good option? :iono:
There are a few supercharger kits available.
I wonder if any are worth a damn.

The FI kits for Pentastars are a joke. It's not a matter of if the engine blows up, but when. Some engines just can't take boost.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:34 pm

I don't think you're :wrong: it's just a matter of business case. You're talking at least $100M in investment (at least, that's what it takes at an OEM like GM or FCA), so you either have to price vehicles higher for it OR prove that you'll sell more with the engine. That's the hard part...to prove how many incremental units will be sold from the investment in the new engine.

OR

Find more volume for the engine to amortize the investment over. A 2.4 NA crosstrek would be pretty epic. Could even work well in an Outback or something?
max225

I keep saying CrossTrek is the answer, but the man from the Desert keep stabbing a Voodoo doll in a red shirt with a vodka bottle in it's hand every time I do it... (You heard about the bigger engine in the Cross tranny right? It has been confirmed)
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:41 pm I keep saying CrossTrek is the answer, but the man from the Desert keep stabbing a Voodoo doll in a red shirt with a vodka bottle in it's hand every time I do it... (You heard about the bigger engine in the Cross tranny right? It has been confirmed)
A Crosstrek with balls is the perfect car.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
max225 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:41 pm I keep saying CrossTrek is the answer, but the man from the Desert keep stabbing a Voodoo doll in a red shirt with a vodka bottle in it's hand every time I do it... (You heard about the bigger engine in the Cross tranny right? It has been confirmed)
A Crosstrek with balls is the perfect car.
Don't you put that evil on me, Ricky Bobby.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

A veritable FEAST OF POWER.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

In the next couple parts of the SSR saga, today our hero attempted to make the generic center caps fit the :ramz: by filling the gaps with JB Weld black RTV. Seems to be working ok, the excess was just scraped off leaving a non-rattling cap behind.

Stickers for the caps were ordered from Wuhan a couple of weeks ago. In theory those will arrive at some point.

ImageImage
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Looks good. Too bad I can't get something like that for my wheels. I need center caps for the rear
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Get a Crosstranny Johnny and you life has fucking ended.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:16 pm
This is close to home on so many levels
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Every person I know who has bought a Crosstrek says the same thing, even my non-car friends: it's really slow.
max225

MrH42 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:33 am Every person I know who has bought a Crosstrek says the same thing, even my non-car friends: it's really slow.
We’re all quite aware. But there is now a new engine ..