Pinshitting Glamper

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:02 am Need to update this...after flirting with buying a new glamper, we decided to :pinshit: ours. Painted cabinets, new floor, replacing the counters, new vent with fan, fixing random broken stuff. It's just about done and our first camping trip is scheduled for the beginning of April. So stoked.
:fuckyeah:

Can't wait to see pics of the next trip.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:26 am
Detroit wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:02 am Need to update this...after flirting with buying a new glamper, we decided to :pinshit: ours. Painted cabinets, new floor, replacing the counters, new vent with fan, fixing random broken stuff. It's just about done and our first camping trip is scheduled for the beginning of April. So stoked.

The light renovation is just about complete. Countertops were installed yesterday and I ran wiring for the new vent fan. I've got maybe an hour of work left, need to take some photos (when I'm not on the work VPN, I can see photos :fuckyeah: )

We were actually planning on going camping this weekend, but the governor just ordered everyone to stay home, so I suspect state and federal parks will be shut down shortly.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:49 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:26 am

The light renovation is just about complete. Countertops were installed yesterday and I ran wiring for the new vent fan. I've got maybe an hour of work left, need to take some photos (when I'm not on the work VPN, I can see photos :fuckyeah: )

We were actually planning on going camping this weekend, but the governor just ordered everyone to stay home, so I suspect state and federal parks will be shut down shortly.
:nice:

We got a little airBNB cabin in the woods this weekend for like $80/night... I'm sure I'll get blasted by some here for doing that (we can still cancel if needed) but it seems pretty darn low risk for everyone involved, we won't be around any people to infect or be infected.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:49 am

We got a little airBNB cabin in the woods this weekend for like $80/night... I'm sure I'll get blasted by some here for doing that (we can still cancel if needed) but it seems pretty darn low risk for everyone involved, we won't be around any people to infect or be infected.
Biggest risk would be if others stayed there that had it and the virus is still cruising around...or you have it and infect the place.

Otherwise, it seems like fucking off to the middle of nowhere for a bit would be a nice reset. That's what I want to do with the glamper.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:16 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:05 pm

Biggest risk would be if others stayed there that had it and the virus is still cruising around...or you have it and infect the place.

Otherwise, it seems like fucking off to the middle of nowhere for a bit would be a nice reset. That's what I want to do with the glamper.
Lysol everything when you show up, and again before you leave. Boom. Fucking off to a cabin in the woods for a few weeks or even a few days sounds awesome right now.
ChrisoftheNorth

Since I'm WFH and wife is laid off, I'd really like to be WFC (camper), but I'm not aware of many camp grounds with cell reception. Gotta have dem internets.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:50 pm Since I'm WFH and wife is laid off, I'd really like to be WFC (camper), but I'm not aware of many camp grounds with cell reception. Gotta have dem internets.
ZR2s have WiFi... :trollface:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:51 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:50 pm Since I'm WFH and wife is laid off, I'd really like to be WFC (camper), but I'm not aware of many camp grounds with cell reception. Gotta have dem internets.
:roasted:

The WiFi in the ZR2 worked awesome, we used it all the time when we wanted to get away and the wife wanted to "WFH"

Our JL should have WiFi...I never took the time to set it up. Just sucks that the truck has to be on for it to be active. I guess if we found a campground with hookups I could put a battery tender on it and just leave it on ZFG.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:58 pm

:roasted:

The WiFi in the ZR2 worked awesome, we used it all the time when we wanted to get away and the wife wanted to "WFH"

Our JL should have WiFi...I never took the time to set it up. Just sucks that the truck has to be on for it to be active. I guess if we found a campground with hookups I could put a battery tender on it and just leave it on ZFG.
This would be the ultimate setup.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Aren't the car wi-fi setups also reliant on cell signal?
Apex

troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:22 pm Aren't the car wi-fi setups also reliant on cell signal?
Yes, but you can fit a significantly bigger antenna in a car than a phone.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:21 pm

So do WK2s, apparently.
Really? :notbad:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:48 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:25 pm

I could live out of my Trailcock. :notbad:
Cheaper than a mortgage... :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:48 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:25 pm

I could live out of my Trailcock. :notbad:
You can live in your car but you sure as shit can't drive your house.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:mahman:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:02 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:22 pm Aren't the car wi-fi setups also reliant on cell signal?
Yes, but you can fit a significantly bigger antenna in a car than a phone.
:dat:

My Colorado always seemed to have reception when my cell phone didn't. It was rather :impressive: TBH
ChrisoftheNorth

First camping trip this weekend finally. Tried some new federal camping that's my new heaven. This isn't a campground, but just spots the .gov set aside for camping to reserve. Roads barely exist, no bathrooms, nobody within shouting distance, direct access to the river as shown. We loved it so much, we're going back this weekend.

Last edited by ChrisoftheNorth on Tue May 26, 2020 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Apex

Perfection.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:30 amPerfection.
Oh dude, it so is. We loved it.

Best is there's some .gov forest roads that are ripe for exploring/light wheeling. This weekend we'll be kayaking and wheeling with the :jeep: :truk: roof off.

At $10/night, I told the wife we should just book a site every weekend in the summer and treat it as our "summer house" $80/mo is cheaper than a second mortgage, and this is all I want in an escape. 2.5 hour drive too.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:33 am
Apex wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:30 amPerfection.

Best is there's some .gov forest roads that are ripe for exploring/light wheeling. This weekend we'll be kayaking and wheeling with the :jeep: :truk: roof off.

At $10/night, I told the wife we should just book a site every weekend in the summer and treat it as our "summer house" $80/mo is cheaper than a second mortgage, and this is all I want in an escape. 2.5 hour drive too.
No reason not to book a site now. If you don’t go, you’re out $20. Far from the end of the world and you know you always have something reserved.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:38 am
Detroit wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:33 am

No reason not to book a site now. If you don’t go, you’re out $20. Far from the end of the world and you know you always have something reserved.
That's why we booked this weekend, others will likely be booked soon.

Only downside is my cell booster can't boost ATT in the area so we can't work there. My goal was to stay there for a week and work and chill, but my work phone is ATT and there's just ZERO service there.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:42 am
Apex wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:38 am

Only downside is my cell booster can't boost ATT in the area so we can't work there. My goal was to stay there for a week and work and chill, but my work phone is ATT and there's just ZERO service there.
Damn, so close to really being perfect...
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:44 am
Detroit wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:42 am

Somehow, our personal phones on Google Fi pick up a TMobile tower nearby that gets us full LTE...but ZERO ATT. SO CLOSE, but oh well.

The silver lining is when I'm there, I'm 100% unreachable for work. That's a great excuse/escape.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:47 am
Apex wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:44 am

Somehow, our personal phones on Google Fi pick up a TMobile tower nearby that gets us full LTE...but ZERO ATT. SO CLOSE, but oh well.

The silver lining is when I'm there, I'm 100% unreachable for work. That's a great excuse/escape.
Yep, great place to escape to!
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

I search for campers. Sadly this is the shit people actually list around me.
:wtf:

$500
Nice camper for travel or camping. Fits a queen mattress. Has a table, refrigerator, stove, complete bathroom. Needs a little TCL
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 923556602/

Literally a house door on it.