The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:15 pm
wap wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:07 pm

I seem to :member: :neek: having repeated trouble with his, but I don't :member: what kind of troubles he had, only that he offed it earlier than he intended.

Obviously a sample size of 1 is worthless, so :wrong:
A now 11 year old GM product is guaranteed to give some issues occasionally. Worth it for the brubs? :iono:

Say what you want about Mercedes, but I've looked at a LOT of ML Carfax reports now, and generally they seem to have few unscheduled service visits, even the really high mileage ones. The Grand Cherokees I've looked at, well, you couldn't say the same thing about. :yikes:
ML is rad. Killer dad car. Do it. If it’s a turd you off it.

An older GC is a similar dice roll. As you stated they seem to review poorly as the miles rack on but who knows really. They’re probably fine overall as well. Apex had one and I don’t remember any issues with it.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:16 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:15 pm

A now 11 year old GM product is guaranteed to give some issues occasionally. Worth it for the brubs? :iono:

Say what you want about Mercedes, but I've looked at a LOT of ML Carfax reports now, and generally they seem to have few unscheduled service visits, even the really high mileage ones. The Grand Cherokees I've looked at, well, you couldn't say the same thing about. :yikes:

An older GC is a similar dice roll. As you stated they seem to review poorly as the miles rack on but who knows really. They’re probably fine overall as well. Apex had one and I don’t remember any issues with it.
I will always :wub: the WK.
4.7 V8 with QTII, OME lift, JBA control arms, choice of tire, and slap an Aussie locker in the rear diff. Would be a fantastic weekend toy with pretty good road manners.

They all will need to have the front diff mounts replaced if they haven’t been done so already doe.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:34 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:16 pm

4.7 V8 with QTII, OME lift, JBA control arms, choice of tire, and slap an Aussie locker in the rear diff. Would be a fantastic weekend toy with pretty good road manners.

They all will need to have the front diff mounts replaced if they haven’t been done so already doe.
Did you trade that in? Damn I should have bought it off you.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:35 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:34 pm

Yeah, we traded it in. I’ll see if wifey can see if it’s still for sale somewhere. Last we saw a week or two ago it was on a used diller lot. :lol:
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:36 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:35 pm

Yeah, we traded it in. I’ll see if wifey can see if it’s still for sale somewhere. Last we saw a week or two ago it was on a used diller lot. :lol:
Certainly south philly bash party worthy
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Drove the G8 and, well, to my surprise it was a bit of a basket case. Same owner since 2014, but whoever it was let everything go at once. The front two tires were totally bald, probably recently switched there from the rear where they still had maybe 3/32nds. Very little brake pad material left and it felt like the rotors were warped. And the alignment was jacked, the car pulled hard to the left.

All of that is very strange considering the rest of the car was so clean. The paint looked phenomenal, no curb rash, no notable interior flaws save for some peeling trim on the driver's side pull handle on the door panel. I mean really, really clean. It was still pretty apparent there's a good car under there, despite the totally bald tires and fucked alignment and pulsing brakes. The steering was nicely weighted and offered more feedback than anything I've owned, although admittedly that's not saying much. Even stock the ellis sounded :nice:. Engine was quiet on cold start and the trans shifted smoothly.

The :dillerman: was pretty openly annoyed with the auction house where they got the car. Said they hadn't had a chance to get the car into service yet, but admitted before I even got in the car that it needed tires and brakes, thanked me for the feedback on the alignment. They're planning to do it all on their own, but also said he'd be willing to put on what I want for tires and rotors/pads if I for sure want the car, which is appealing.

Still :notsure:.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:49 pm Drove the G8 and, well, to my surprise it was a bit of a basket case. Same owner since 2014, but whoever it was let everything go at once. The front two tires were totally bald, probably recently switched there from the rear where they still had maybe 3/32nds. Very little brake pad material left and it felt like the rotors were warped. And the alignment was jacked, the car pulled hard to the left.

All of that is very strange considering the rest of the car was so clean. The paint looked phenomenal, no curb rash, no notable interior flaws save for some peeling trim on the driver's side pull handle on the door panel. I mean really, really clean. It was still pretty apparent there's a good car under there, despite the totally bald tires and fucked alignment and pulsing brakes. The steering was nicely weighted and offered more feedback than anything I've owned, although admittedly that's not saying much. Even stock the ellis sounded :nice:. Engine was quiet on cold start and the trans shifted smoothly.

The :dillerman: was pretty openly annoyed with the auction house where they got the car. Said they hadn't had a chance to get the car into service yet, but admitted before I even got in the car that it needed tires and brakes, thanked me for the feedback on the alignment. They're planning to do it all on their own, but also said he'd be willing to put on what I want for tires and rotors/pads if I for sure want the car, which is appealing.

Would be worth getting a PPI on this. Just to make sure nothing underneath is notaby jacked. I'd also look for evidence of an accident, if the paint is immaculate it might because it's new, especially if the brakes/tires/alignment were let go.

These are cool cars. I saw one today. Made me think of you :wub:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:14 pm Would be worth getting a PPI on this. Just to make sure nothing underneath is notaby jacked. I'd also look for evidence of an accident, if the paint is immaculate it might because it's new, especially if the brakes/tires/alignment were let go.

Ha :wub:

Totally agree on the PPI, unfortunately the thing is in a smaller POS town and who knows if I'd find a good indy mechanic up there. I had the same thought regarding a recent accident that didn't make it to the Carfax, the paint almost did look too nice.

I feel the need to drive one that's actually sorted before just taking the plunge and buying one that needs work. I still really have no idea how well they do or don't drive, unfortunately.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:03 pm
wap wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:07 pm

I seem to :member: :neek: having repeated trouble with his, but I don't :member: what kind of troubles he had, only that he offed it earlier than he intended.

Obviously a sample size of 1 is worthless, so :wrong:
:neek: didn’t do his due diligence and bought a car with problems though. Car was previously tuned and hastily put back to stock.
Hmm. Interesting. Gots to do yo' research :doe:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:14 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:49 pm Drove the G8 and, well, to my surprise it was a bit of a basket case. Same owner since 2014, but whoever it was let everything go at once. The front two tires were totally bald, probably recently switched there from the rear where they still had maybe 3/32nds. Very little brake pad material left and it felt like the rotors were warped. And the alignment was jacked, the car pulled hard to the left.

Would be worth getting a PPI on this. Just to make sure nothing underneath is notaby jacked. I'd also look for evidence of an accident, if the paint is immaculate it might because it's new, especially if the brakes/tires/alignment were let go.

Good call.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:09 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:14 pm Would be worth getting a PPI on this. Just to make sure nothing underneath is notaby jacked. I'd also look for evidence of an accident, if the paint is immaculate it might because it's new, especially if the brakes/tires/alignment were let go.

Ha :wub:

Totally agree on the PPI, unfortunately the thing is in a smaller POS town and who knows if I'd find a good indy mechanic up there. I had the same thought regarding a recent accident that didn't make it to the Carfax, the paint almost did look too nice.

I feel the need to drive one that's actually sorted before just taking the plunge and buying one that needs work. I still really have no idea how well they do or don't drive, unfortunately.
Yeah. I mean, it shouldn't be too hard to find evidence of an accident as long as it's on a lift though. Alternatively you could see if a body shop would do a paint thickness measurement. It's a pretty simple car really, most small town mechanics should know what to look at, worn/torn CV boots, suspension bushings, and engine mounts, wheel bearing play, evidence of leaks, maybe pull a spark plug or two and check those. Look for debris in oil or trans fluid. Etc.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:50 am Yeah. I mean, it shouldn't be too hard to find evidence of an accident as long as it's on a lift though. Alternatively you could see if a body shop would do a paint thickness measurement. It's a pretty simple car really, most small town mechanics should know what to look at, worn/torn CV boots, suspension bushings, and engine mounts, wheel bearing play, evidence of leaks, maybe pull a spark plug or two and check those. Look for debris in oil or trans fluid. Etc.
Don't disagree, I just have a feeling I'd be throwing away whatever I pay for that PPI. A bad accident would certainly explain the strong pull to the left and an owner who no longer cared about the car despite having spent the money on Super Sports at some point. On to the next, I think.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
coogles wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:32 pm Don't disagree, I just have a feeling I'd be throwing away whatever I pay for that PPI. A bad accident would certainly explain the strong pull to the left and an owner who no longer cared about the car despite having spent the money on Super Sports at some point. On to the next, I think.
Well, here’s the thing.

You’ve driven one. You liked it. Find one and get it shipped to you?
He didn't really drive it or like it :doe: because it was fucked.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Really you’re both right. I liked it, at least I think I did, but I didn’t love it. Hard to love a car when you can’t get a real feel for it. I wouldn’t be willing to have one shipped to me in hopes that I do end up really liking it just yet.

There’s a GXP auto a little more than an hour from me that I’d love to drive, but I think it’s overpriced. It’s listed at $24,998, but they’ve had it forever and I found a comparable car listed for only $22,500. I’d be much more likely to pay the extra for a GXP @ $22,500.

Would a dealer be even remotely responsive to an e-mail showing a comparable car listed for $2,500 less when it’s 600 miles away? Still indicative of market value even if I wouldn’t realistically buy that one instead, IMO. But I’m sure the :dillerman: knows what he has.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:20 pm Really you’re both right. I liked it, at least I think I did, but I didn’t love it. Hard to love a car when you can’t get a real feel for it. I wouldn’t be willing to have one shipped to me in hopes that I do end up really liking it just yet.

There’s a GXP auto a little more than an hour from me that I’d love to drive, but I think it’s overpriced. It’s listed at $24,998, but they’ve had it forever and I found a comparable car listed for only $22,500. I’d be much more likely to pay the extra for a GXP @ $22,500.

Would a dealer be even remotely responsive to an e-mail showing a comparable car listed for $2,500 less when it’s 600 miles away? Still indicative of market value even if I wouldn’t realistically buy that one instead, IMO. But I’m sure the :dillerman: knows what he has.
Based on my dealings they would rather sit on it for another 6 months before lowering the price by more than $500. Used car market is insanity
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Just in time for some rad summer tires of your choice. :doit:

Not much to majorly go wrong here, IMO. They are simple and pretty robust cars. I mean, plenty can go south on any car but the :ellis: is a beast.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:20 pm Really you’re both right. I liked it, at least I think I did, but I didn’t love it. Hard to love a car when you can’t get a real feel for it. I wouldn’t be willing to have one shipped to me in hopes that I do end up really liking it just yet.

Doesn't hurt to ask, but they will probably just tell you to come in for a test drive :dillerman:
max225

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:18 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:52 pm

Doesn't hurt to ask, but they will probably just tell you to come in for a test drive :dillerman:
It's President's Day, brah. :tubeman:

Make a :dill: !
Would you take $2500 lower than asking? Real talk...
max225

[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:27 am
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:44 am

Would you take $2500 lower than asking? Real talk...
All depends on how long the car's been at the dealer and how much profit there is in the deal.

Sometimes we trade in a car at the right number, we can recondition it properly, and there's still some profit left for negotiation.

Sometimes we eat a cockmeat sammich on a trade and we put too much money into it to make a deal, and there's not much room left for anything.

But, you can always ask.
No rape on trade. You're introducing a new variable and :dillerman: meat sandwhich.

You got a say used CX-5 listed at 19,995 :derp: comes in hard offering $17,500 what do you do. You normally price at KBB ish levels I am assuming...
max225

[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:01 am
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:29 am

No rape on trade. You're introducing a new variable and :dillerman: meat sandwhich.

You got a say used CX-5 listed at 19,995 :derp: comes in hard offering $17,500 what do you do. You normally price at KBB ish levels I am assuming...
Most used CX-5s are off-lease and after reconditioning costs, certification fees, and pricing to market, we're either $500 above or below cost.

So on the average, I'd say no deal. Too big of a loss to take.

A G8 GXP, though, is a car that is tougher to price. Niche cars can be weird. You've gotta price nationally, not locally, when selling. And the person who traded probably didn't know what they had. So, there could be room in that listed price. :iono:
Agreed, just pointing out that used cars tend to be priced pretty much at transaction costs in quite a few cases. I found plenty of movement in MSRPs on new ones vs ATPs but when shopping for my mini and a few other cars. Most :dillerman: refused to move even $500, and that's across many brands/dillerman groups etc.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:04 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:01 am

Most used CX-5s are off-lease and after reconditioning costs, certification fees, and pricing to market, we're either $500 above or below cost.

So on the average, I'd say no deal. Too big of a loss to take.

A G8 GXP, though, is a car that is tougher to price. Niche cars can be weird. You've gotta price nationally, not locally, when selling. And the person who traded probably didn't know what they had. So, there could be room in that listed price. :iono:
Agreed, just pointing out that used cars tend to be priced pretty much at transaction costs in quite a few cases. I found plenty of movement in MSRPs on new ones vs ATPs but when shopping for my mini and a few other cars. Most :dillerman: refused to move even $500, and that's across many brands/dillerman groups etc.
It just really depends. On my Beemah :dill: they were unwilling to move but like $200 but it was a very unique spec and was priced well considering the extremely low miles and condition.

My C5 was listed at $25,XXX and I got it for $17,XXX + TTL. Fair at the time was probably $18-20K. That was a much older, "special edition" enthusiast car though. Whoever traded it probably thought, this thing is over 10 years old, give me $15K for it and I'm good.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

E-mail sent. Worst they can say is "no thanks". :iono:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

And if anyone is out there going "bruh, why not just get the GT?"

Well, it's because of the fairly common issue with lifters as part of the displacement on demand setup. It's a pricey job if they fail, and often people end up going with a cam and valvetrain shit, and headers and an intake and on and on when they're replacing the lifters anyway. The cost for a GT @ $15,000 could easily climb to close to $20k if I the lifters fail and I fall down the rabbit hole of "while I'm in there". Buy a GXP from the jump and that should be plenty good enough to keep me entertained, and the LS3 has no such issues. Plus there's no lighting $3-5k on fire from mods that you'll never get back.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:16 pm And if anyone is out there going "bruh, why not just get the GT?"

Well, it's because of the fairly common issue with lifters as part of the displacement on demand setup. It's a pricey job if they fail, and often people end up going with a cam and valvetrain shit, and headers and an intake and on and on when they're replacing the lifters anyway. The cost for a GT @ $15,000 could easily climb to close to $20k if I the lifters fail and I fall down the rabbit hole of "while I'm in there". Buy a GXP from the jump and that should be plenty good enough to keep me entertained, and the LS3 has no such issues. Plus there's no lighting $3-5k on fire from mods that you'll never get back.
:popcorn: :excited:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Got damn. Got the quote back for an extended warranty on the ML.

1 / 12k - $4,529
2 / 24k - $4,578
3 / 36k - $4,857
4 / 48k - $4,884
5 / 60k - $5,330

So weird how little the price goes up from 1 year to 5.