2020 Supra-Why I think it is half assed.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.

Is the 2020 half assed ?

Yes
35%
No, I placed my order it is AMAZING!
9%
Toaster
57%

Total votes: 23
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:27 am
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:21 am
Yep agreed, but "no one makes it" because no one really buys em. 86 dying, 370z dying etc... they are no better or worse than the 86. Only thing the Yoder has over them is "power".

They small sport cars have been dwindling down to those that are barely manufactured at this point... anything decent is a bit more, like WETTES, and POORSHAS.

I like how you omitted an M2 and a 240i M sport 230i, which weigh the same, cost the same and have more/less power than the supra and add a back seat etc, and you can get em in a manual. I still see no sense in a rebadged Z4 coupe.
I'm talking out my ass here some based on what I've heard in reviews... but the Supra is a sports car, 230i is not. My car has the same specs as a 230i and is kinda sporty but not really. If a Supra isn't better than that from a driving standpoint than it truly is an abomination. M2, yes, is better and I would get one over a $60K 6-cyl. Supra, but $40K it is not. Hence my point, there are no $40K sports cars on the market really. You have upmarket 'vettes and Porsches, you have sporty sedans/coupes like the 230i/Mustang/Camaro.

Sadly, you're :notwrong: that it's a category not many buy in... my guess would be that most who are in that budget range are also in the young-mid aged CrotchFruit raising period of life and thus a sports car won't work. Look at most of this forum for example, wealthy 30 somethings who could all buy a $40K sports car but none of us actually do. Troy came closest by actually buying a new 86.
He certainly voted with his wallet.

I wonder if this is a chicken or the egg. Are we not buying because there are no offerings or are there no offerings because we're not buying? :iono:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I'd have considered a 230i if it had a real sport package with LSD and if the auto rev-matching was defeatable without killing the TC/ESC.

I've no interest in any version of the Supra.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:31 am I'd have considered a 230i if it had a real sport package with LSD and if the auto rev-matching was defeatable without killing the TC/ESC.

So 230i has auto rev match but 328i doesn't ?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:29 am

I'm talking out my ass here some based on what I've heard in reviews... but the Supra is a sports car, 230i is not. My car has the same specs as a 230i and is kinda sporty but not really. If a Supra isn't better than that from a driving standpoint than it truly is an abomination. M2, yes, is better and I would get one over a $60K 6-cyl. Supra, but $40K it is not. Hence my point, there are no $40K sports cars on the market really. You have upmarket 'vettes and Porsches, you have sporty sedans/coupes like the 230i/Mustang/Camaro.

Sadly, you're :notwrong: that it's a category not many buy in... my guess would be that most who are in that budget range are also in the young-mid aged CrotchFruit raising period of life and thus a sports car won't work. Look at most of this forum for example, wealthy 30 somethings who could all buy a $40K sports car but none of us actually do. Troy came closest by actually buying a new 86.
He certainly voted with his wallet.

I wonder if this is a chicken or the egg. Are we not buying because there are no offerings or are there no offerings because we're not buying? :iono:
As someone who could afford it and actually spends an asinine amount on fun car related things every year I'm going to say we're just not buying. It's a tough pill for me to swallow - I can own a :poorvette: that is really fun and cheap enough that I'm not too concerned with beating on it on track. It's way more fun because I don't have to care about it all that much. Any $40K sports car out now is just far too capable to enjoy it's capabilities on the street. So at that budget it's either get two vehicles to do more things (like an off roader, practical daily, race car of some kind, motorcycle, whatever) or go with something that's still fun but makes a better daily like a Hype R, :gorf:

That's what everyone here does, and I suspect most people as well.

I actually could get away with only owning a two seater no problem, but I enjoy racing and don't want to race an expensive new car, and I can't justify owning two two seaters.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:21 am
Yep agreed, but "no one makes it" because no one really buys em. 86 dying, 370z dying etc... they are no better or worse than the 86. Only thing the Yoder has over them is "power".

They small sport cars have been dwindling down to those that are barely manufactured at this point... anything decent is a bit more, like WETTES, and POORSHAS.

I like how you omitted an M2 and a 240i M sport 230i, which weigh the same, cost the same and have more/less power than the supra and add a back seat etc, and you can get em in a manual. I still see no sense in a rebadged Z4 coupe.

:hai:

Troy has no CF. I'd love a 2series but the only two door I think I could make work is the Chally now that both kids can buckle themselves... and calling a Chally a sports car is a stretch. Most buyers of such things are empty nesters like Desertbreh dudes who like cars and have extra cash to burn. Give me 10 yrs and a bee MR2 and I'll be back in the game :doe:
max225

I think the 86 with a WRX motor and fender flares+wider wheels/tires would be tons of fun... seems like long hanging fruit... but Toyota no care because it can't make 1m a year of em.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:31 am I'd have considered a 230i if it had a real sport package with LSD and if the auto rev-matching was defeatable without killing the TC/ESC.

The update from x28i to x30i brought it. My friend from KY bought a new 230i a couple of years ago and went with the 8AT because of the auto rev-matching. You can turn it off, but only if you turn everything else off too which is :fullretard: on public roads.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:40 am
max225 wrote:
The update from x28i to x30i brought it. My friend from KY bought a new 230i a couple of years ago and went with the 8AT because of the auto rev-matching. You can turn it off, but only if you turn everything else off too which is :fullretard: on public roads.
Ah interesting I was wondering when/how it happened. I didn't mind it on the M4, but I can see how someone who buys the stick for stick things is annoyed if 50% of it is like a video game.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:40 am
max225 wrote:
That is weird... I turn off all T/C and shit only ever on the track and that's the one place I would actually want the auto rev matching.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:pussy:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:39 am I think the 86 with a WRX motor and fender flares+wider wheels/tires would be tons of fun... seems like long hanging fruit... but Toyota no care because it can't make 1m a year of em.
:dat:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:39 am I think the 86 with a WRX motor and fender flares+wider wheels/tires would be tons of fun... seems like long hanging fruit... but Toyota no care because it can't make 1m a year of em.
Yeah, people have said that since 2014. True then, true now.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
troyguitar

Melon wrote:
I still don't see the point, but what do I know... I'd rather make it lighter and rev more.

Where are you guys doing all of this street racing and what do you win?
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:26 pm
Melon wrote:
I still don't see the point, but what do I know... I'd rather make it lighter and rev more.

Woah, woah, woah. Hold up, this idea also intrigues me.

What do you propose then? Lighten the car and add something like an F20? Rev it to the moon?
troyguitar

Melon wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:26 pm I still don't see the point, but what do I know... I'd rather make it lighter and rev more.

What do you propose then? Lighten the car and add something like an F20? Rev it to the moon?
Not even that because I don't want to spend much more. A header+tune on the stock motor is good for like 15% more average power from 4000 to 8000 RPM.

A simple Wilwood 4 piston kit with 2 piece rotors drops 32 lbs off the nose.

A LiFePO4 battery drops another 25 off the nose. About 60 lbs total off the front axle with the headers, which is yuuge on a 2700 lb nose heavy car, all for around $3k.

Obviously they can't do those exact things from the factory, but they could do reasonable versions of them... Either way I'd rather do the aftermarket options on my own NFG.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:26 pm
Melon wrote:

More power and better grip, obviously two things that a sports car doesn't ever need, ever.
Last edited by max225 on Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:51 pm
Melon wrote:

Not even that because I don't want to spend much more. A header+tune on the stock motor is good for like 15% more average power from 4000 to 8000 RPM.

A simple Wilwood 4 piston kit with 2 piece rotors drops 32 lbs off the nose.

A LiFePO4 battery drops another 25 off the nose. About 60 lbs total off the front axle with the headers, which is yuuge on a 2700 lb nose heavy car, all for around $3k.

Obviously they can't do those exact things from the factory, but they could do reasonable versions of them... Either way I'd rather do the aftermarket options on my own NFG.
Damn son, that's a low of low hanging fruit weight savings.

:doit:
max225

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

max225 wrote:https://www.lithiatoyotamedford.com/new ... 9600ce.htm

:member: when these were 100k?! Imagegasm:
Still want.

2021 is the model to have :doe: Or when the :manuel: eventually shows up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:31 am https://www.lithiatoyotamedford.com/new ... 9600ce.htm

:member: when these were 100k?! :lolgasm:
Dat panel gap:

Poverty spec brakes :gag:
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:38 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:31 am https://www.lithiatoyotamedford.com/new ... 9600ce.htm

:member: when these were 100k?! :lolgasm:
Dat panel gap:

Poverty spec brakes :gag:
Hood is just not closed... it's fine.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

M5 competition with ceramic brakes has poverty calipers too. I refuse to buy one.
max225

Rear sliders seem just fine... Stoped better than most cars on the road.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

A new Supra drove by when I was walking across the street earlier. Sounded :notbad: and had the shifting farts.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Apex wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:53 pm A new Supra drove by when I was walking across the street earlier. Sounded :notbad: and had the shifting farts.
The B58 is a really good sounding engine.