Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Johnny_P wrote:Went to the auto show.

New Sonata looks bangin. Interior is great, minimal gloss black plastic. Super comfy, airy interior, clear info screens. It also looks a whole lot better in person, but the new LED to chrome transition strips do have a notable seam whereas on the pictures it doesn't look like they really do. Loved it. If I were getting a mainstream family sedan type thing it would be a top choice. This might have been my favorite car of the show because of its combo of great interior, killer looks, and cheap entry price.

New Outback is :nice: in person. Really super comfortable inside, great seat adjustment for tall drivers, good features abound and easy to see out of. Back seat was spacious enough. Cargo hold was great, a lot better than the Forester, which neither of us really cared too much about.

Small car award goes to the Civic Sport Touring. Felt nice inside. Spacious enough. Easy to see out of. The Type R was :drool: those seats and all were perfection. Want. Really want. I didn't look at many small cars this time but the Civic is the one to beat. The Elantra and Forte are close behind, but the Civic does feel more upscale than those. Then again the H/K are cheaper with better features so :iono: depends on what you want. I'd go for a 1.5T/CVT Civic.

Lisa can't get into the JLUR. Needed help climbing in. Nah. A Sport is a possibility. She didn't hate the driving position.

The Santa Fe was probably my favorite small CUV. Clean interior, solid switchgear and knobs, comfy, spacious. A runner up was the Honda CRV which feels notably more minivan like, but had a great use of space inside and in the cargo area, and super comfy seats.

New Fraud Escape is a complete fucking fail. It has the curb appeal of a 2-gen-old Chevy Traverse, and seats that have some stupid rump bump at the base that pushes against your ass in a very uncomfortable way. 10 seconds in those seats and I knew it would be a complete turd to own. Literally nobody was looking at these. There were 4 of them and nobody around them.

Chevy wasn't doing any better than Ford really. Lots of vehicles with nobody near them. Nobody cared. It looked like a rental car lot, mediocrity everywhere. The new Corvette was there. It looks OK I guess. I don't really care for it, the Camaro looks better.

New Rav4 felt a lot cheaper inside than the Santa Fe and CRV. It was a little disappointing. Fuel mileage is incredible with the hybrid. So its a good choice but there are some real daily use trade-offs.

The XC40 felt like some cheap also-ran with a bad infotainment system. Bleh. I'd probably take a Santa Fe 2.0T over it. I'd take an RDX over it too, which was really nice to sit in, but that touch pad.... I'd have to try it out because it seems like some gimmicky stupid Lexus type bullshit. Which brings me to....

Lexus GS... that mouse thing... totally unacceptable. It sucked. Flat out. Off the list. All Lexii with it are off the list. Not dealing with that.

So there we go. :whocares: I think Hyundai / Kia had the best showing. Giving the people what they want.
Is it worth going this year? I saw that MB dropped out.

Now that I'm car shopping maybe it is?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:22 am
max225 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:55 am

Just like Apple... And they are doing just fine. No one cares about owner 2/3+ unless you CPO. At which point Tesla will be within the Tesla ecosystem. It seems that there were 3rd parties involved here.
:amazing: the things I value and how far off of mainstream ideals I am. Categorize me with the :poors: I guess.
Thank the Virgin Mary and all the Saints? The last page of this thread makes me ill.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

@gberg it might be if you’re car shopping. BMW, Mini, Benz nowhere to be found. Most displays were low rent. No hand outs of keychains or hats or fridge magnets. Many mfrs didn’t even have the cars powered up so you couldn’t change the damn seat position on a bunch of them. Some of them are getting pretty bitched up by now. The Lexus was missing all of the radio and seat control knobs. Type R was missing shift knob. Etc.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:07 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:22 am

:amazing: the things I value and how far off of mainstream ideals I am. Categorize me with the :poors: I guess.
Thank the Virgin Mary and all the Saints? The last page of this thread makes me ill.
Did you read the article? Any actual opinions on the subject?
Last edited by Tar on Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:33 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:56 am

Gotta be. My car will explode on 87. :disgust: That 1920s engine management system tho.
One reason why I chose VW over Subie. We're up to almost an $.80 gap between 87 and 93. :bs:
I chose VW over subie for a few reasons. The fuckboi subie salesmen asked me for deposit for a downpayment to a WRX (when the current gen was new) :gtfo: , you have to retune every-time you install an intake, an intercooler, etc.

This whole not letting me test drive it for a car that costs as much as a fairly equipped accord treating their cars like a Ferrari is just :ludacris:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:15 pm

One reason why I chose VW over Subie. We're up to almost an $.80 gap between 87 and 93. :bs:
I chose VW over subie for a few reasons. The fuckboi subie salesmen asked me for deposit for a downpayment to a WRX (when the current gen was new) :gtfo: , you have to retune every-time you install an intake, an intercooler, etc.

This whole not letting me test drive it for a car that costs as much as a fairly equipped accord treating their cars like a Ferrari is just :ludacris:
Maybe it's different in Philly region but I've never had that treatment from a Subaru dealership. But yeah if that was my experience I'd walk.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:10 am

Maybe it's different in Philly region but I've never had that treatment from a Subaru dealership. But yeah if that was my experience I'd walk.
Yeah I only tried couple dealers and they were both like that, I think it stopped around 2017 since I haven't heard anything like that recently, with the exception for sti
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:15 pm I chose VW over subie for a few reasons. The fuckboi subie salesmen asked me for deposit for a downpayment to a WRX (when the current gen was new) :gtfo: , you have to retune every-time you install an intake, an intercooler, etc.

I wasn't allowed to test drive a WRX or STI in the Harrisburg area. 0/7 will not buy a subaru in the future unless something major changes.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:36 am
Johnny_P wrote:
I wasn't allowed to test drive a WRX or STI in the Harrisburg area. 0/7 will not buy a subaru in the future unless something major changes.
You bought one doe.

Yeah that’s annoying as hell. How are you supposed to know if you like a car or not if you can’t take it for a spin? I think a lot of that has changed, WRXs are common anymore. But new version next year might re ignite the no test drive nostalgic feelings.
Johnny_P

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:19 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:10 am

Yeah I only tried couple dealers and they were both like that, I think it stopped around 2017 since I haven't heard anything like that recently, with the exception for sti
Yeah. The only stipulation the guy had with the STI was asking me not to take it over 4K RPM because it was still in break in miles. That’s fine. You can still get a good idea how it handles, turns, brakes, responds. But the bro took me on a great test drive route with both the WRX and the STI. Other bro took me on a great route in a BRZ. And in 2009 the guy just threw me the keys to a WRX and said be back eventually so I had fun then.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:42 pm Went to the auto show.

New Sonata looks bangin. Interior is great, minimal gloss black plastic. Super comfy, airy interior, clear info screens. It also looks a whole lot better in person, but the new LED to chrome transition strips do have a notable seam whereas on the pictures it doesn't look like they really do. Loved it. If I were getting a mainstream family sedan type thing it would be a top choice. This might have been my favorite car of the show because of its combo of great interior, killer looks, and cheap entry price.

New Outback is :nice: in person. Really super comfortable inside, great seat adjustment for tall drivers, good features abound and easy to see out of. Back seat was spacious enough. Cargo hold was great, a lot better than the Forester, which neither of us really cared too much about.

Small car award goes to the Civic Sport Touring. Felt nice inside. Spacious enough. Easy to see out of. The Type R was :drool: those seats and all were perfection. Want. Really want. I didn't look at many small cars this time but the Civic is the one to beat. The Elantra and Forte are close behind, but the Civic does feel more upscale than those. Then again the H/K are cheaper with better features so :iono: depends on what you want. I'd go for a 1.5T/CVT Civic.

Lisa can't get into the JLUR. Needed help climbing in. Nah. A Sport is a possibility. She didn't hate the driving position.

The Santa Fe was probably my favorite small CUV. Clean interior, solid switchgear and knobs, comfy, spacious. A runner up was the Honda CRV which feels notably more minivan like, but had a great use of space inside and in the cargo area, and super comfy seats.

New Fraud Escape is a complete fucking fail. It has the curb appeal of a 2-gen-old Chevy Traverse, and seats that have some stupid rump bump at the base that pushes against your ass in a very uncomfortable way. 10 seconds in those seats and I knew it would be a complete turd to own. Literally nobody was looking at these. There were 4 of them and nobody around them.

Chevy wasn't doing any better than Ford really. Lots of vehicles with nobody near them. Nobody cared. It looked like a rental car lot, mediocrity everywhere. The new Corvette was there. It looks OK I guess. I don't really care for it, the Camaro looks better.

New Rav4 felt a lot cheaper inside than the Santa Fe and CRV. It was a little disappointing. Fuel mileage is incredible with the hybrid. So its a good choice but there are some real daily use trade-offs.

The XC40 felt like some cheap also-ran with a bad infotainment system. Bleh. I'd probably take a Santa Fe 2.0T over it. I'd take an RDX over it too, which was really nice to sit in, but that touch pad.... I'd have to try it out because it seems like some gimmicky stupid Lexus type bullshit. Which brings me to....

Lexus GS... that mouse thing... totally unacceptable. It sucked. Flat out. Off the list. All Lexii with it are off the list. Not dealing with that.

So there we go. :whocares: I think Hyundai / Kia had the best showing. Giving the people what they want.
New Sonata hybrid 52mpg, over 650mi per tank possible.
Johnny_P

Sonata Hybrid.... That would be a great car.

Also heard there’s a new CRV hybrid that’s AWD. :neat:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

This looks cool and somewhat promising, my dreams of a cheap and headache free mid-engine car might come back with a joint venture between Toyota and Porsche! A 914esk and MR2ish love child is formed in the minds of execs! I hope that they can make this happen.

https://paultan.org/2020/02/13/porsche- ... echanical/
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

When the 5th Gen Camaro first came out, Porter Chevrolet told me I had to put down a $5,000 deposit to take one out. I got back in my GTO and left.

When I was 19 and was looking for a car to buy, I was looking at the GTO and STi. The salesman at Matt Slap Subaru told me that if I came back with my "mommy or daddy," the they would let me take one around the parking lot. I bought the GTO shortly after.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:26 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:19 am

Yeah. The only stipulation the guy had with the STI was asking me not to take it over 4K RPM because it was still in break in miles. That’s fine. You can still get a good idea how it handles, turns, brakes, responds. But the bro took me on a great test drive route with both the WRX and the STI. Other bro took me on a great route in a BRZ. And in 2009 the guy just threw me the keys to a WRX and said be back eventually so I had fun then.
Missed opportunity to start a break-in procedure argument.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:36 am
Johnny_P wrote:
Although that's subjective and depends on the dealer.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Fuck a house dude this is the ultimate. Buy it
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Wow this is really nice.
max225

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/ford-tells- ... 00279.html

Bronco is due at the NY auto show in April... Interdasting.

2020 Show Dates: Apr 10 - 19, 2020.

So that could provide further downward pressure for the :jeep:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:42 pm Went to the auto show.

1) After getting into a new Santa Fe as lyft, it felt no different than an Explorer, which was :impressive:
2) The new escape is literally looks like a lifted focus, :hellno:
3) XC40 remained the same, but I loved the trashcan thing in the center console, which something [user not found] would love to have
4) Agreed and agreed, they are killing it as of recent, well except for the Accent due to taxi's in my shithole country
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:39 am
:drool:
:dat: and a Camry v6 doe
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:54 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:39 am

:drool:
Camry doesn't come supercharged BRO.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:55 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:54 am

Camry doesn't come supercharged BRO.
:dat: and engine reliability