2020 Supra-Why I think it is half assed.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.

Is the 2020 half assed ?

Yes
35%
No, I placed my order it is AMAZING!
9%
Toaster
57%

Total votes: 23
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I offering 200k, not a penny less. That :dillerman: is famous because thought it would be a great publicity stunt to have the most expensive supra in the country.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:41 pm I offering 200k, not a penny less. That :dillerman: is famous because thought it would be a great publicity stunt to have the most expensive supra in the country.
I think jalopnik said it ended up selling for $100k anyway. Some people have more money than brains.

I still :wub: the new Supra :doe:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Turns out the 4 banger Supra is coming here. I thought I saw it wasn't.

https://www-caranddriver-com.cdn.amppro ... os-info%2F

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:18 pm Turns out the 4 banger Supra is coming here. I thought I saw it wasn't.

:flaccid:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:33 pm Image
I'd honestly would rather spend :dat: on a mk4 supra, where as I can get $25k for the car with the same engine that happens to be more practical and attract whores.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:18 pm Turns out the 4 banger Supra is coming here. I thought I saw it wasn't.

The 2.0 from BMW is a nice motor, I really enjoy it, best 2.0T I've ever experienced. I think this actually is good news, Supra makes a lot more sense at $40-45K than $60K, especially when you consider the C8 exists and you're encroaching on mid engined Porsches as well at that price.

Add in a manual and it will stand in a class of it's own, the only other compelling things in the $40K range are Mustang/Camero and those are both huge and heavy. At the 4-cylinder price it notches in perfectly in the progression from 86/MX-5 but before Cayman/Corvette or whatever.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote:

The 2.0 from BMW is a nice motor, I really enjoy it, best 2.0T I've ever experienced. I think this actually is good news, Supra makes a lot more sense at $40-45K than $60K, especially when you consider the C8 exists and you're encroaching on mid engined Porsches as well at that price.

Add in a manual and it will stand in a class of it's own, the only other compelling things in the $40K range are Mustang/Camero and those are both huge and heavy. At the 4-cylinder price it notches in perfectly in the progression from 86/MX-5 but before Cayman/Corvette or whatever.
Yeah. I don't think it's a bad vehicle at all around 40k.

And once again, first year model owners got screwed with the HP bump in the I6. At least on paper anyway. I don't know if there's any mechanical differences with the jump to 382 but 2020 Supra's seemed to be putting that out no problem stock.

Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:59 am
D Griff wrote:

Yeah. I don't think it's a bad vehicle at all around 40k.

And once again, first year model owners got screwed with the HP bump in the I6. At least on paper anyway. I don't know if there's any mechanical differences with the jump to 382 but 2020 Supra's seemed to be putting that out no problem stock.

It feels like they're trying to do a Wrangler type release on this thing. With constant little updates every year to keep it relevant and justify a price hike. Like not just the paper HP increase but also those chassis braces and shit. Like, the thing was designed with cutouts for those in the engine bay, everyone knew they were coming eventually. Maybe real vents will be next.
max225

4 speakers in a 50k after markup car .. :wtf:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:16 pm Kind of funny that GM appears to be a "disrupter" in this segment. Man that term is annoying.

Thank you.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:23 pm 4 speakers in a 50k after markup car .. :wtf:
I fail to see the point in more than four speakers in a two seat car. Just one man's opinion.

Music is recorded/mixed in stereo. L/R is all that's required. Podcasts/talk radio are in mono.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:57 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:23 pm 4 speakers in a 50k after markup car .. :wtf:
I fail to see the point in more than four speakers in a two seat car. Just one man's opinion.

Music is recorded/mixed in stereo. L/R is all that's required. Podcasts/talk radio are in mono.
I’d say 5 would be a good number; complete 2.1 system.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:howdareu:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

It’s a luxury toy not a yugo
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:57 pm I fail to see the point in more than four speakers in a two seat car. Just one man's opinion.

It’s a luxury toy not a yugo
More speakers don't sound better. Better speakers sound better.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Is there even a fix for the wind buffeting issue? I think that'd be a dealbreaker for me.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:07 am Is there even a fix for the wind buffeting issue? I think that'd be a dealbreaker for me.
Buy one, develope an aftermarket solution with a 3d printer, and make jillions
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:07 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:07 am Is there even a fix for the wind buffeting issue? I think that'd be a dealbreaker for me.
Buy one, develope an aftermarket solution with a 3d printer, and make jillions
I guess one of their aero guys fell asleep while it was in the wind tunnel.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:20 am
max225 wrote: It’s a luxury toy not a yugo
More speakers don't sound better. Better speakers sound better.
:dat:

Rooms where the handful of high end sound mix engineers sit and get paid hundreds of dollars an hour to make the music we listen to are equipped with two speakers only, or maybe a few pairs, but only one pair is ever used at any given time.
max225

D Griff wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:26 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:20 am More speakers don't sound better. Better speakers sound better.

Rooms where the handful of high end sound mix engineers sit and get paid hundreds of dollars an hour to make the music we listen to are equipped with two speakers only, or maybe a few pairs, but only one pair is ever used at any given time.
The fuck, you two. You saying that they put in better speakers in the cheaper Supra ? Or what’s the point here ? So we gonna say that 4 cylinders is better too because the 6cyl one because the size/tune matters on those
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:52 pm
D Griff wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:26 pm

The fuck, you two. You saying that they put in better speakers in the cheaper Supra ? Or what’s the point here ? So we gonna say that 4 cylinders is better too because the 6cyl one because the size/tune matters on those
They are likely the same quality. Listening to music on 27 4/7 speakers is going to be pretty much the same quality as on two 4/7 speakers. The additional ones are ridiculous dead weight and over complication.

A better comparison motor wise would be that the Supra four cylinder is better than a Ford modular 5.0 - it makes more power, uses less fuel, is lighter/smaller... even though it is "less". The speaker count being a selling point on a car is ridiculous marketing :bs:
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:41 am
max225 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:52 pm

They are likely the same quality. Listening to music on 27 4/7 speakers is going to be pretty much the same quality as on two 4/7 speakers. The additional ones are ridiculous dead weight and over complication.

A better comparison motor wise would be that the Supra four cylinder is better than a Ford modular 5.0 - it makes more power, uses less fuel, is lighter/smaller... even though it is "less". The speaker count being a selling point on a car is ridiculous marketing :bs:
That wasn't the point... I was just saying that they de-contended a 50k car down to golf levels. Whether or not it matters is just a different story all together.

The current one comes with a 10 speaker system or a 12 speaker system, 205 or 500 watts.

This is a LUXURY touring coupe... so decontenting it to that level is ODD to me that's all. Not like any of it truly matters, I still think that car is an abomination. I wouldn't be surprised if they thrown in halogens and cloth seats for shits and giggles.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:55 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:41 am

That wasn't the point... I was just saying that they de-contended a 50k car down to golf levels. Whether or not it matters is just a different story all together.

The current one comes with a 10 speaker system or a 12 speaker system, 205 or 500 watts.

This is a LUXURY touring coupe... so decontenting it to that level is ODD to me that's all. Not like any of it truly matters, I still think that car is an abomination. I wouldn't be surprised if they thrown in halogens and cloth seats for shits and giggles.
:iono: You're right, at $60K it is a luxury touring coupe.

At $40K with fewer speakers and shit and a four cylinder, it's a sports car in a class of its own, which I think it great. No other manufacturer makes a relatively lightweight sports car in the $40K range, you have the Miata and 86 which are both great but slow, and then you have this slotting in right above. The only thing there currently is the 11 year old 370Z no one has cared about since 2014.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:09 am
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:55 am

At $40K with fewer speakers and shit and a four cylinder, it's a sports car in a class of its own, which I think it great. No other manufacturer makes a relatively lightweight sports car in the $40K range, you have the Miata and 86 which are both great but slow, and then you have this slotting in right above. The only thing there currently is the 11 year old 370Z no one has cared about since 2014.
Yep agreed, but "no one makes it" because no one really buys em. 86 dying, 370z dying etc... they are no better or worse than the 86. Only thing the Yoder has over them is "power".

They small sport cars have been dwindling down to those that are barely manufactured at this point... anything decent is a bit more, like WETTES, and POORSHAS.

I like how you omitted an M2 and a 240i M sport 230i, which weigh the same, cost the same and have more/less power than the supra and add a back seat etc, and you can get em in a manual. I still see no sense in a rebadged Z4 coupe.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:21 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:09 am

Yep agreed, but "no one makes it" because no one really buys em. 86 dying, 370z dying etc... they are no better or worse than the 86. Only thing the Yoder has over them is "power".

They small sport cars have been dwindling down to those that are barely manufactured at this point... anything decent is a bit more, like WETTES, and POORSHAS.

I like how you omitted an M2 and a 240i M sport 230i, which weigh the same, cost the same and have more/less power than the supra and add a back seat etc, and you can get em in a manual. I still see no sense in a rebadged Z4 coupe.
I'm talking out my ass here some based on what I've heard in reviews... but the Supra is a sports car, 230i is not. My car has the same specs as a 230i and is kinda sporty but not really. If a Supra isn't better than that from a driving standpoint than it truly is an abomination. M2, yes, is better and I would get one over a $60K 6-cyl. Supra, but $40K it is not. Hence my point, there are no $40K sports cars on the market really. You have upmarket 'vettes and Porsches, you have sporty sedans/coupes like the 230i/Mustang/Camaro.

Sadly, you're :notwrong: that it's a category not many buy in... my guess would be that most who are in that budget range are also in the young-mid aged CrotchFruit raising period of life and thus a sports car won't work. Look at most of this forum for example, wealthy 30 somethings who could all buy a $40K sports car but none of us actually do. Troy came closest by actually buying a new 86.