:wrong: Soviet car reviews

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:37 pm
Melon wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:30 pm I'm thinking new new, and I thought all the manuals went away in 2019 for the M3.

Size doesn't matter to me, an M-car of any flavor would be a weekend thing. I'll always have the truck, or some flavor thereof for cargo/passengers. I just love small cars, even if they weigh a little more.
Have you heard of our lord and savior the mini :lolgasm:

Yea I hear you for sure. New new the m2 wins every time, its a full C5 cheaper while not being any worse performing.
A guy I autocross with has one similar to yours. Tuned with an exhaust. It sounds great, and is really nice. They've gotten bigger over the years, but this model is bringing the magic of the R53 back.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I don't like the Lobster, but the Lobster N is intriguing. Go drive one Max and report back!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Melon wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:38 pm I don't like the Lobster, but the Lobster N is intriguing. Go drive one Max and report back!
Almost tempted.... I am actually 90% sure I'll like the way it drives. But I am also 90% sure that's where it'll end.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:28 pm
Melon wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:38 pm I don't like the Lobster, but the Lobster N is intriguing. Go drive one Max and report back!
Almost tempted.... I am actually 90% sure I'll like the way it drives. But I am also 90% sure that's where it'll end.
I don't think anyone here expects you to buy it, but we all respect your opinion especially since you've driven most of it's close competitors very recently.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:58 pm

I don't think anyone here expects you to buy it, but we all respect your opinion especially since you've driven most of it's close competitors very recently.
No I’m just saying I’ll like how it drives but hate the rest of the car
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Our resident motorcycle expert might.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:22 pm

He's got great roads to try it out on that's for sure
max225

Todays Victim is a 2020 Mini Cooper S 4 door.
My mini went back to the :dillerman: because they can't get an alignment right and its getting new stripes.
This is to compare and contrast with my very own JCW, as well as general thoughts.
This car had the following options
1. JCW bits (JCW wheel only from what i can tell)
2. Moonroof
3. HK stereo
4. LED headlights

Honestly this is a VERY good package, everything you need nothing you don't... I wish the screen was a bit larger. As this comes with a cut down version of mine with a shittier res.

Driving dynamics:
1. The steering felt nearly identical to my JCW which is a very good thing
2. The suspension was MORE COMPLIANT, no shit Sherlock of course, but this is due to the 16" hancock :195: baby dick tires. There is a bit more bodylean in turns but overall this car is still a ton of fun to toss around and simply drive.
3. The car was quieter than mine, i am assuming mainly due to tires and newness (2600 miles on this only)
4. The car asborbs punishment much better than mine as well, Johnny style roads should be fine, its a gentle European thump vs anus shattering thing that would have happened in my M3 C or a C5 corvette, overall very nice.
5. Engine has decent power, I noticed that it has less midrange punch, and obviously makes no POP POP noises due to lack of fartpipe.But overall I still really like it, there is nothing else really in the sub 30k field that delivers this type of punch. It emberasses the GLC in throttle response and driving dynamics.
6. New 8 speed auto is a bit smoother, but you can't enter 8th gear in manual mode, and at 65mph this car is at 1500rpm, :wtf: is the point of 8th gear in a 2.slow motor? It's like they took gear 1-6th and added 2 more overdrive gears which seems rather pointless.
7. Surprisingly the brakes in this thing felt just as good as my giant fixed calipers :wtf: and it had only sliders. So to those shopping around... a pooper S with the same fart pipe I have... may be the way to go.

What don't I like?
1. I think this thing is sort of ugly.
2. While it has a bigger back seat, looks to be usable for 4 people. It has perhaps an even smaller trunk or about the same size, can't really tell. So no one can really bring luggage or you can't drop off 2 people at airport with baggage... unless you put their suit cases on the seat.
3.195 tires are wheel peel city as expected
4.the smaller screen is sort of poverty
5. MPG is not stellar i averaged exactly what I do in my car... which isn't great (26-27)

Overall I give this thing a solid 3.5/7 If it had better styling I would say it would be even higher. But these cars to me at least are still awesome as they are the last cheapish cars that are still putting driving fun above all else.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tough call on the four door version IMO. I mean, cool, better back seat, but also uggo and not that “Mini”. I think I’d :dealwithit: with a two door.

Also the :dedong: brakes might not feel different (probably similar pads) but I bet with better pads they’d perform better on track. Pretty much sliders in front/drums in back work perfectly for any normal highway/city use, most of the feel will come from pads/hydraulics.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

C5 brakes certainly have more bite than my :dedong: W// fixed calipers all around. Tires make the biggest actual stopping improvement if the brakes can stay cool enough with more grip.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Does the engine still die off at high RPM? It was more noticeable in the MT version, I guess the automatic shifts earlier than I was.

On the ones I drove, I remember the back end getting light and skittish under heavy braking. Still the case?
Suspension is decent on these. I never drove one with 16" wheels.

More fun than a GTI but a harder sell due to the price and features / power per dollar. I like them.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:38 am Does the engine still die off at high RPM? It was more noticeable in the MT version, I guess the automatic shifts earlier than I was.

On the ones I drove, I remember the back end getting light and skittish under heavy braking. Still the case?
Suspension is decent on these. I never drove one with 16" wheels.

More fun than a GTI but a harder sell due to the price and features / power per dollar. I like them.
It is more planted than the GTI. Also it drives a lot more "punchy"(minis have the best throttle response out of any turbo car IMO under 50k). and has far better steering, GTIs/Rs feel dead compared to this. It really shows up when you go back to back on these. Also the interior on the GTIs (even the 7.5s is quite "sterile" these are a bit more playful and fun. It depends on what you like in a car, I can make the case for either car but you can see which one I went with after all.

Engine is not a "revver" that's not what is great about it IMO. This car feels like it has a 4 liter V6 stuck in the front, it has power from 1500-6000 rpm, you don't need to "rev" it out to have fun. I understand that this is a point of contest for many. But you have 4500rpms to play with, vs say a "peaky" motor that is 4500-7500 rpm, which is 3000rpm. The power band is ALWAYS there, and that is very unique to the small car field... small car YUGE engine.

Back end does get unsettled when you start weight transferring no denying that, but IMO it is still one of the best handling cars up to 80% of the limit... Shit gets weird when you try to REALLY push it. Also with 195s, that's your main compromise, the tires give way before anything else, but it was super predictable, low howl, medium howl, screeeetch, plow is how it goes. You can drive this thing by sound.

Honestly the 16" wheels make for a REALLY quiet ride, and I specifically went for pot holes to see how it handles them, and it was fine. Balloon tires work. It is IMO the compromise you're looking for, and if you wanted to keep the manuel it adds to the fun. There are two main downsides... 1, depreciation, they will be worth 5k in 3 years, and Mid grade/premium gas, this one called for 89 "minimum".
Last edited by max225 on Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:00 am Tough call on the four door version IMO. I mean, cool, better back seat, but also uggo and not that “Mini”. I think I’d :dealwithit: with a two door.

Also the :dedong: brakes might not feel different (probably similar pads) but I bet with better pads they’d perform better on track. Pretty much sliders in front/drums in back work perfectly for any normal highway/city use, most of the feel will come from pads/hydraulics.
Yea its tough, it does actually add usable back seat space for small weight compromise which you can barely feel. I was surprised by how good the brakes felt, super linear and gets the car to stop in a jiffy. I honestly see LESS of an upsell to go for a JCW now, you can just get a loaded pooper S for 5-8k less, and use a FACTORY tune for $500 to get it to JCW levels + add my fart pipe and have 99.9% the same experience. :disgust:

:themoreyouknow:
max225

Wait a Min.... I just realized mini actually put in a 7 speed double clutch into the pooper s now, and the 8 speed regular auto is reserved for the JCW. :wtf: and :themoreyouknow:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:09 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:05 pm I am a bit surprised by the harsh response to the Z4 I thought it would be overall more liked by this forum.
:impressive:
Brad bought a new one and got inverted on the $$$$ big time. We hates it we do.
nah. he bought a 4 year USED one for 50% off. And it rapidly went down another 50% during his 2 year ownershit. Typical bmw curve. Straight down.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

[user not found] wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:19 am
dubshow wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:04 am

nah. he bought a 4 year USED one for 50% off. And it rapidly went down another 50% during his 2 year ownershit. Typical bmw curve. Straight down.

Dat fancy MX5, doe.
:fancy:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:dat:

Mine was 50% off after only 15k miles... 15k later it's down another 15-20% methinks.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

dubshow wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:20 am
[user not found] wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:19 am

Dat fancy MX5, doe.
:fancy:
:lol:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I own this curve.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Melon wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:22 pm

:dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
max225

So ... I am sitting in a Starbucks waiting for an irish bar to open... as it is holding my cell phone prisoner from last night.

I am in a rental Kia Sportage, DIESEL :manuel: WAGON! (CUV) As the gods intended...

This has got to be one of the easiest car to drive with a stick... I am sitting on the wrong side of the car... shifting with my left hand... going through 500 year old screens and parking garages where people ram right against my ass when I pull up to get the ticket... No problems... not 1 stall...

But man this thing is pretty gutless as expected and the powerband is extremely short... 2000-3500... redline is 4500 but it sounds like a rattling box of nails above 3500... so :nope:
Gears are extremely easy to find... clutch is super forgiving.. but it almost feels disconnected. Overall really :notbad:

Good luck finding a :manuel: diesel CUV in the states... :lolgasm:

No pics as I don't have my phone yet... i hope these fucks open the bar soon. :oops:

:update: Got my phone... and Starbucks got flagged as SPAM.... couldn't post... :wtf:
max225

Also start stop is awful... 5mph or below engine just dies .. takes a full second to turn back on... who designed this shit?! Has to be turned off every time you start the car, naturally.

Kia completely copied VW gayges... identical to the mk6... :notbad:

Stereo is not bad... even though its the poverty base model, its passable.

Seats are decent...

Steering is fking dead.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:manuel:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:39 pm So ... I am sitting in a Starbucks waiting for an irish bar to open... as it is holding my cell phone prisoner from last night.

I am in a rental Kia Sportage, DIESEL :manuel: WAGON! (CUV) As the gods intended...

This has got to be one of the easiest car to drive with a stick... I am sitting on the wrong side of the car... shifting with my left hand... going through 500 year old screens and parking garages where people ram right against my ass when I pull up to get the ticket... No problems... not 1 stall...

But man this thing is pretty gutless as expected and the powerband is extremely short... 2000-3500... redline is 4500 but it sounds like a rattling box of nails above 3500... so :nope:
Gears are extremely easy to find... clutch is super forgiving.. but it almost feels disconnected. Overall really :notbad:

Good luck finding a :manuel: diesel CUV in the states... :lolgasm:

No pics as I don't have my phone yet... i hope these fucks open the bar soon. :oops:

:update: Got my phone... and Starbucks got flagged as SPAM.... couldn't post... :wtf:
:impressive:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Also I don’t understand people that bitch about :manuel: transmissions in traffic... there are 0 issues. Some traffic here etc if you wanna row it doesn’t fking matter. Don’t be a god damn pussy... I don’t know why but my :manuel: want is super strong...