Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:47 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:53 pm

Adjust the front derailleur and degrease / lube the chain.

I like bike commuting. I didn’t do it much because I always felt like I was going to get run over going into the plant.
It was from the rear derailleur... it had one of those plastic discs to prevent the chain from going too far inboard and it was all dry rotted, cracked, and rubbing as the wheel turned so I ripped it off. I just need to be careful shifting down back there. It has suicide shifters that are continuous rather than clicking, but the shifting is actually really smooth and nice.
Ah. Yeah. Gotta remove the dork disc.

If it overshot the biggest cog on the back, you can adjust the limit screws on the rear derailleur to prevent it from moving that far. Should have (2) phillips head screws on it, for high and low limit points.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:51 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:47 am

It was from the rear derailleur... it had one of those plastic discs to prevent the chain from going too far inboard and it was all dry rotted, cracked, and rubbing as the wheel turned so I ripped it off. I just need to be careful shifting down back there. It has suicide shifters that are continuous rather than clicking, but the shifting is actually really smooth and nice.
Ah. Yeah. Gotta remove the dork disc.

If it overshot the biggest cog on the back, you can adjust the limit screws on the rear derailleur to prevent it from moving that far. Should have (2) phillips head screws on it, for high and low limit points.
:word: I will tweak it. Thanks for the pro tip.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:04 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:33 pm

Eh, falling over is no big deal. It usually happens at least once per group ride for me. :lol:
his shit just broke right at fork! :lolol:
Johnny_P

Yo Philly peoples. Anyone want to play mountain or gravel bikes sometime soon?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:12 pm Yo Philly peoples. Anyone want to play mountain or gravel bikes sometime soon?
Too cold.

DPX2 is installed on the Occam, so it’s now 2019 a spec frame with 150mm travel. I just need to get around to converting the fork (or buying a new one) to go to 150-160 and i’ll have it fully updated.

I’ve got about 250 “road” miles on zwift so far this year, with about 11k feet of climbing. Most rides are 45-60 minutes, and average around 500-600 feet of elevation. I’m debating starting one of the several training plans they offer, but right now am just focusing on riding 3-4 times a week.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:31 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:12 pm Yo Philly peoples. Anyone want to play mountain or gravel bikes sometime soon?
Too cold.

DPX2 is installed on the Occam, so it’s now 2019 a spec frame with 150mm travel. I just need to get around to converting the fork (or buying a new one) to go to 150-160 and i’ll have it fully updated.

I’ve got about 250 “road” miles on zwift so far this year, with about 11k feet of climbing. Most rides are 45-60 minutes, and average around 500-600 feet of elevation. I’m debating starting one of the several training plans they offer, but right now am just focusing on riding 3-4 times a week.
You should be in pretty good shape come spring. I haven’t ridden much this winter. Spring will be full on carnage.

I thought your fork can go more travel with just an air spring? I’ll keep my eyes open for longer travel forks in the used markets. New forks are really expensive. Like a Lyrik is $1k.
Johnny_P

Well if anyone wants to ride I’m down to clown. I have nothing to do most days and it hasn’t been super cold. If you have an afternoon off and want to shred or just easy ride LMK.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:46 am
fledonfoot wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:31 am

Too cold.

You should be in pretty good shape come spring. I haven’t ridden much this winter. Spring will be full on carnage.

I thought your fork can go more travel with just an air spring? I’ll keep my eyes open for longer travel forks in the used markets. New forks are really expensive. Like a Lyrik is $1k.
I can just get an air spring and then rebuild it. It’s due for a major service anyway, so I’ll probably order new seals and oil for it too.

I’m looking for a Fox 36 for the park days... there’s not much in the take-off world because it’s a higher end fork. Hoping to score a close out for $5-600, but shouldn’t have much of an issue sticking with the 34 for now.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:48 am Well if anyone wants to ride I’m down to clown. I have nothing to do most days and it hasn’t been super cold. If you have an afternoon off and want to shred or just easy ride LMK.
I would like to clown, but it's too far.

It's been too damn rainy here to MTB, trails are always closed anymore, :sad: considering it's surprisingly never all that cold anymore either.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Fork seal rebuild kit ordered. Air shaft ordered.

I’m going to do it all myself. If I fuck it up, I’ll just order a 36.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I have talked to [user not found] about this a bit offline but curious to chat here too... As mentioned I have been riding to work. The other night I got a flat riding over some glass on the sidewalk, couldn't see it at night :rage:

So the following day I rode my Whorbea and low and behold my average speed on it is 1-1.5 MPH faster than my road bike :lolol: Also, my god is it less anus shattering.

So, I got to thinking, are there any updates to the old 1984 Raleigh I'm riding to make it a little bit more friendly to urban sidewalk riding? Speed/efficiency is cool, but the bigger concern would be having things a bit less impacted by going over curbs and stuff. I think it definitely feels easier pedaling up hills on the Raleigh, but the time is lost on having to stop and hop off more due to obstacles. I don't feel comfortable riding on the roads I have to take to work, I would die, so sidewalk is a must, unfortunately, as the surface of the roads is way better.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Basically I have the 4Runner and the C4 Corvette of bikes right now and I would like to have the WRX of bikes.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:57 pm I have talked to [user not found] about this a bit offline but curious to chat here too... As mentioned I have been riding to work. The other night I got a flat riding over some glass on the sidewalk, couldn't see it at night :rage:

So the following day I rode my Whorbea and low and behold my average speed on it is 1-1.5 MPH faster than my road bike :lolol: Also, my god is it less anus shattering.

So, I got to thinking, are there any updates to the old 1984 Raleigh I'm riding to make it a little bit more friendly to urban sidewalk riding? Speed/efficiency is cool, but the bigger concern would be having things a bit less impacted by going over curbs and stuff. I think it definitely feels easier pedaling up hills on the Raleigh, but the time is lost on having to stop and hop off more due to obstacles. I don't feel comfortable riding on the roads I have to take to work, I would die, so sidewalk is a must, unfortunately, as the surface of the roads is way better.
Your only option on that bike is to get fatter tires and run the front a little lower PSI than the rear. Like if the rear is around 75 psi run the front at 65.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:29 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:12 pm Basically I have the 4Runner and the C4 Corvette of bikes right now and I would like to have the WRX of bikes.
Cross bike or gravel bike with 32C road tires.

Trek Checkpoint style bike is what you're looking at. You can get close with your bike, but the real question is, can you switch to a 700C wheel on a frame designed for 27".

One of the biggest issues might be brake reach.

https://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2011/1 ... reach.html

Also, Velo Orange makes :neat: stuff for making old bikes more modern.
If you go cross bike just throw 40c fatties on there :megusta:

No really though more tire is the answer here. That 700c conversion is :neat: idea for this and opens up a lot more tire possibilities. But maybe too expensive. Griff you can find wheels used for cheap on crangslist or velomine.com has cheap wheels that are acceptable quality.
Johnny_P

Dis what griff needs. Maybe it’s not the WRX of bikes tho. Maybe more like a turbo John Deere.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:12 pm Basically I have the 4Runner and the C4 Corvette of bikes right now and I would like to have the WRX of bikes.

Trek Checkpoint style bike is what you're looking at. You can get close with your bike, but the real question is, can you switch to a 700C wheel on a frame designed for 27".

:nice: article :megusta:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:14 pm

:nice: article :megusta:
You gotta be careful with older shit though. You likely can’t just go buy a new 700c wheelset and plop it on there. A few other wonderful things...

Rear hub spacing for road bikes is usually 130mm. It wasn’t always this. It was smaller on older bikes with like 5-6 speed rear cogs. So you may be able to muscle a newer wheel in you may not.

Also the number of cogs. Shimano style hyper glide cassettes 11-10-9-8-7 speeds all use the same cassette keying and attachment method. So they can all use the same wheels. Less than that may have used freewheel cassettes that screw onto the hub. Totally different style. So you’d need to also find an adapter style cassette for the new wheel.

Honestly if you can’t shove bigger tires on it as is, I’d suggest taking it to a shop to discuss possibilities.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Sounds like you need my bike.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:42 pm In terms of upgrading an older steel bike to modern wheels, it really depends on the bike.

You may be hard pressed to find a shop that won’t just push you to a newer bike, too. Gotta find some old souls that still believe steel is real that know their shit.

I know a few people like that, but none of them live in Charlotte.
I know a bunch in Philly. I don't think its overly hard but you do need to know what you're doing, or else you end up spending a lot of money on the wrong parts multiple times.

I think, if you have friction shifters that don't have detents for each gear, you can convert it to a 7 (or maybe 8) speed. Chain width should be the same. May need a new chain just for length reasons.

Wheels:
https://www.velomine.com/index.php?main ... qf2iasafc0

Cassette:
https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-HG41- ... d-Cassette

Cassette tool:
https://www.jensonusa.com/Park-Tool-FR- ... kring-Tool

But that's a lot of money, and then you still need to get tires and tubes. And maybe brakes.

Just get a new bike :D
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I know I'm :wrong: but I still kind of wish that I'd gone with flat bars instead of drops. Bending over might be faster in a draft but it's physically uncomfortable and also mentally uncomfortable because it's harder to see what's happening around you.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:31 pm I know I'm :wrong: but I still kind of wish that I'd gone with flat bars instead of drops. Bending over might be faster in a draft but it's physically uncomfortable and also mentally uncomfortable because it's harder to see what's happening around you.
Its all personal preference. You could convert your bike. IIRC it's an 8 speed Claris bike, Shimano makes an 8 speed Claris trigger shifter. Get a flat bar, those trigger shifters, and some Tektro brake levers. I bet you're in it for under $150.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Every time I check into this thread its like voodoo science. Great reason for being here you guys are bike dork animals, I am impressed. Still got Johnny's real steel bike in my bedroom waiting for a few cities here to finish up a 20 mile trail. I am OUT DOG on riding with Abuelita texting her sister about the child pickup as she plows into me with my Tahoe sistership and no insurance and no assets.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:59 am Every time I check into this thread its like voodoo science. Great reason for being here you guys are bike dork animals, I am impressed. Still got Johnny's real steel bike in my bedroom waiting for a few cities here to finish up a 20 mile trail. I am OUT DOG on riding with Abuelita texting her sister about the child pickup as she plows into me with my Tahoe sistership and no insurance and no assets.
Just have your wife drive next to you in your own Tahoe to protect you like my mom used to when I’d ride my bike to elementary school.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:30 am
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:59 am Every time I check into this thread its like voodoo science. Great reason for being here you guys are bike dork animals, I am impressed. Still got Johnny's real steel bike in my bedroom waiting for a few cities here to finish up a 20 mile trail. I am OUT DOG on riding with Abuelita texting her sister about the child pickup as she plows into me with my Tahoe sistership and no insurance and no assets.
Just have your wife drive next to you in your own Tahoe to protect you like my mom used to when I’d ride my bike to elementary school.
For some reason my awareness of being put in a vegetative state my someone with zero insurance and zero assets has become acute in old age vs. the carefree days of youth.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:55 am
SAWCE wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:30 am

For some reason my awareness of being put in a vegetative state my someone with zero insurance and zero assets has become acute in old age vs. the carefree days of youth.
Yeah at age 30 I am just ripping it, the commute to work is kind of sketchy but it's fun, healthier, better for the planet. I at least have lights so people can see my ass.