Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:25 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:22 am

:amazing: the things I value and how far off of mainstream ideals I am. Categorize me with the :poors: I guess.
Well I mean... I totally get where you're coming from but I don't think you're the target demographic for a tesla. It's a rich man's game... as honestly any vehicle above 50k is. Out here which is the worlds #1 tesla market, the people that have em usually have around 300-500k household incomes... I don't think they care about going used.

And this is foot in mouth for me... I sold their stock at $350 because i stopped believing so I was obviously :wrong: myself.
I'm impressed with Teslas ability to shake off negative press to say the least.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:34 am

Well I mean... I totally get where you're coming from but I don't think you're the target demographic for a tesla. It's a rich man's game... as honestly any vehicle above 50k is. Out here which is the worlds #1 tesla market, the people that have em usually have around 300-500k household incomes... I don't think they care about going used.

And this is foot in mouth for me... I sold their stock at $350 because i stopped believing so I was obviously :wrong: myself.
It is sort of a complete bandwagon to be honest. It's either all bad or all good for them. I :member: a time when the news kept saying

"teslas are setting on fire, SVP of manufacturing left, legal left,
tesla is doomed in 2 months,
they are making cars in a tent and are total shit,
tesla bumpers are falling off"

they are under the microscope more so than any other car firm.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:29 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:24 am

It's making headlines so I'm sure there are potentially interested used car shoppers. If the batteries were cheap to replace, a used 20k model 3 seems someone :notwrong: , a P90D would be cool too but all the secondary buyer gets is badge and no extra go.
Batteries seem to last quite some time in a tesla. But the first gen screens and CPUs are laggy and crapping out, door handles keep failing, engine units keep failing etc... Sort of :disgust: the early tesla models have a near 100% replacement rate for those items in (2012>2014) model years.

No one really knows what the new ones will deliver to their owners. But overall the cost of ownership seems in line/lower than comparable gasoline cars. Even when you factor in all these "out of warranty" repairs post warranty you're still coming out far ahead of a BMW 7 series or S class buyer... i.e Whoever cross shopped the model S with them at the time.
Good point, the car is being sold as a single owner disposable status symbol. In that case this news doesn't impact the buying decision.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:22 am

:amazing: the things I value and how far off of mainstream ideals I am. Categorize me with the :poors: I guess.

It's also not a car guy's car, clearly everyone here is a car guy to some extent and go figure, no one has bought a Tesla.

I have tons of friends interested in them - they are all wealthy programmers. Tesla is a neat product for sure, but not really an actual car in a lot of traditional ways. For those who love tech and are rich, it offers much more. To cheap ass car enthusiasts, they're going to be at the bottom of the list for the foreseeable future.

They are just the 2010-2020 version of what the Prius was the previous decade, but a lot more people have a lot more money now.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:38 am

It's also not a car guy's car, clearly everyone here is a car guy to some extent and go figure, no one has bought a Tesla.

I have tons of friends interested in them - they are all wealthy programmers. Tesla is a neat product for sure, but not really an actual car in a lot of traditional ways. For those who love tech and are rich, it offers much more. To cheap ass car enthusiasts, they're going to be at the bottom of the list for the foreseeable future.

They are just the 2010-2020 version of what the Prius was the previous decade, but a lot more people have a lot more money now.
Yea I mean take me for an example.. I thought long and hard... but when faced with
1. questionable quality
2. complete lack of distinction between a 39k base model and 65k performance model
3. uncertainty of the company future
4. hordes of the worst :derp: 's driving these

It made it an impossible choice for me. I wanted to like it... and I did to some extent. But that car is a god damn toaster and is boring AF, on ramps be damned.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:26 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:23 pm Exactly. It's Subway in a tortilla, but Subway is half the price.
:wat:

Subway is like $10 anymore as well.
I was $9 OTD for a :deong: cold cut combo chips/drink yesterday. The $5 :dedong: died last year. :pouroneout:

I choose the cheapest option when going there even tho I like the club, that $2 extra is :nope:
max225

https://projects.sfchronicle.com/tracke ... -breakins/

This is insanity... 64 car break ins a DAY in a city of 900k where 50% or more don't even drive.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/artic ... 048885.php
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:45 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:26 pm

:wat:

Subway is like $10 anymore as well.
I was $9 OTD for a :deong: cold cut combo chips/drink yesterday. The $5 :dedong: died last year. :pouroneout:

I choose the cheapest option when going there even tho I like the club, that $2 extra is :nope:
Cold cut combo is basically a bologna sandwich... pretty :disgust: for $9.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:36 am

It is sort of a complete bandwagon to be honest. It's either all bad or all good for them. I :member: a time when the news kept saying

"teslas are setting on fire, SVP of manufacturing left, legal left,
tesla is doomed in 2 months,
they are making cars in a tent and are total shit,
tesla bumpers are falling off"

they are under the microscope more so than any other car firm.
That seems to be the case, probably because of their soaring stock price and also because they are a new player to the game. I'm genuinely more interested and slightly more skeptical for both of those reasons.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:03 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:45 am

Cold cut combo is basically a bologna sandwich... pretty :disgust: for $9.
cheap is cheap and i dont dislike it. :aintcare:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Who here has driven a Q50? Thoughts?

I rode in my boss’s G37 today and it was surprisingly not bad over shit roads.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:49 pm Who here has driven a Q50? Thoughts?

Checking in... before getting my 335i lease I Test drove the is350 f sport, s4, Q50s. If I had to chose that time it would have been the q50. Minus the odd twin screen setup. It drove really nicely and was “only” 45k where as the Audi was 62k and the Lexus around 50. The driving dynamics minus the mad steering were best in the Audi but the price was :fullretard: compared to the other two.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:49 pm Who here has driven a Q50? Thoughts?

Had a Q50 red s a couple years ago. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Makes good noises. Handles well enough. Fairly comfortable ride on the highway.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Johnny_P

Odd. Used, these aren't a whole lot less expensive than a Benzo C300.
And
That cream interior on the Benz :wub: :wub: :wub:
With the bum master stereo :datass:

Hm
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:24 pm Odd. Used, these aren't a whole lot less expensive than a Benzo C300.
And

Hm
There's probably just so few out there that it keeps pricing propped up, plus ze Germans depreciate the most.

They always seemed pretty cool to me. I thought the Red Sport was cool, I do remember meeting a dude at the track with one and he boiled the brake fluid first session, second lap :lolol: . But that doesn't matter.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:52 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:24 pm Odd. Used, these aren't a whole lot less expensive than a Benzo C300.
And

Hm
There's probably just so few out there that it keeps pricing propped up, plus ze Germans depreciate the most.

They always seemed pretty cool to me. I thought the Red Sport was cool, I do remember meeting a dude at the track with one and he boiled the brake fluid first session, second lap :lolol: . But that doesn't matter.
Well it's not really designed to be a track car, more of a highway sledgehammer. Yeah I dunno. They're notably cheaper looking especially inside than the Germans. I would have expected a much larger used price gap.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:58 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:52 am

Well it's not really designed to be a track car, more of a highway sledgehammer. Yeah I dunno. They're notably cheaper looking especially inside than the Germans. I would have expected a much larger used price gap.
I think they are pretty cool personally, plus so unique. 3/C/A4 series are a dime a dozen, the Infinitis, not so much.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:29 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:58 am

I think they are pretty cool personally, plus so unique. 3/C/A4 series are a dime a dozen, the Infinitis, not so much.
I think it’s actually one of the best looking sedans on the road today. Fast enough too. I dunno maybe worth a look for me.

I think I’d rather deal with premium fuel cost than deal with an underpowered shitbox car like a Crosstrek.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:03 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:29 am

I think it’s actually one of the best looking sedans on the road today. Fast enough too. I dunno maybe worth a look for me.

I think I’d rather deal with premium fuel cost than deal with an underpowered shitbox car like a Crosstrek.
It's a nice middle ground between an STI and a depressing crossover. It will still be fun, look good, go fast, but will also ride better, shift for you, etc.

FWIW I've really grown to appreciate my BMW as the sports/luxury sedan thing, this would be similar. Sometimes it's really nice to just have a normal damn car that isn't punishing to drive like the C5. This category still drives decently but the space and comfort are quite nice.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Greetings from Tejas: land of oil and gas.

:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:dat: :mindblown:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:23 pm Greetings from Tejas: land of oil and gas.

Is this not common? :iono:

I filled up with 87 for 1.80/gal
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:23 pm Greetings from Tejas: land of oil and gas.

SC is the same. Here across the border in the superior Carolina it's about $0.2 above that.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

dubshow wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:37 pm

Ask Max or anyone on the coasts.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:40 pm
dubshow wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:37 pm

Ask Max or anyone on the coasts.
Well, they dont count. They are an outlying exception in all things money and pricing.

Clearly the best to get the long :dedong: of the .gov at 55.22 cents :lolol: