Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:06 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:03 pm

Damn man, issa cold out there tonight.

34 when I left. Right around freezing now. I was actually pretty comfortable until we would stop. Whiskey helped too. But the trails stay warmer than the roads because no wind.

Gore Tex jacket
Base layer
Tights
Ski gloves
Wool work boot socks
Hat
And a :gay: neck warmer. That was about it.
I've been cruising in 34-40F temps, it's not that bad with good gloves, :gay: neck thing, etc.

The light is :nice: . Dat battery is large but the ride home in the dark would be rough without it. Do you have an idea of how many hours it lasts on a charge?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I drove today :doe: , 34F and raining is a nah, especially with the cantilever brakes on my bike, they don't work at all when wet.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:04 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:06 pm

34 when I left. Right around freezing now. I was actually pretty comfortable until we would stop. Whiskey helped too. But the trails stay warmer than the roads because no wind.

Gore Tex jacket
Base layer
Tights
Ski gloves
Wool work boot socks
Hat
And a :gay: neck warmer. That was about it.
I've been cruising in 34-40F temps, it's not that bad with good gloves, :gay: neck thing, etc.

The light is :nice: . Dat battery is large but the ride home in the dark would be rough without it. Do you have an idea of how many hours it lasts on a charge?
Hm. Should be 2.5 ish hours. More if you dim it while climbing or something. Less if you’re running it at full power the whole time.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:15 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:04 am

Hm. Should be 2.5 ish hours. More if you dim it while climbing or something. Less if you’re running it at full power the whole time.
:nice:

I use it full blast, as much for the visibility to :derp: as lighting the way. I have to ride sidewalks a lot of the way because the roads to my job suck. It's in a super industrial area :disgust: The light is also helpful for spotting glass and such in my path.
Johnny_P

Anyone been playing bikes?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:35 pm Anyone been playing bikes?
I’m putting the dpx2 on tomorrow night. Had to order a bearing removal tool to swap over some hardware.

Ordering parts to upgrade the 34 fork to 150mm.

Zwifting.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:33 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:35 pm Anyone been playing bikes?
I’m putting the dpx2 on tomorrow night. Had to order a bearing removal tool to swap over some hardware.

Ordering parts to upgrade the 34 fork to 150mm.

Zwifting.
Its gonna feel like a whole new bike!
Johnny_P

New Switchblade dropped.

https://pivotcycles.com/en/bike-switchb ... ldAndPrice

160mm Fox36 forks
142mm rear travel up from 135 on the last one, with all models getting a DPX2 stock
29/27+ compatible

$5500 to start. :waxer:

So a few notes on the changes they made.
1) New linkage is good, it solves 2 problems. The first being rocks getting stuck in the upper link and smashing into the frame, damaging it. That's not a problem anymore since the linkage is protected by the seat tube. Second thing it solves is you can fit a real person water bottle in the frame triangle now. Hopefully this shock change makes its way through their lineup. At the demo day they didn't even have water bottle cages in the Mach 6 frames because they wouldn't fit. The Mach 5.5 I tested had one but the water bottle didn't fit with the piggyback shock so blah. This is a much better design.
2) BB is actually raised a tad. Bikes like this were getting pretty low, with common complaints being a lot of pedal strikes. So maybe that'll help.
3) Still has stupid "Super Boost" rear hub.
4) "High" setting is last year's "Low" setting, so that's cool.
5) Cleaner cable routing at the BB area. Last one had a cable running straight out the bottom, this puts it to the side.

This looks like a really REALLY nice bike. I thought the last Switchblade was pretty cool when I was just pedaling it around. Felt nimble and handled nicely, very plush. But still pedaled really well. Maybe the old ones are on fire sale now?
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:08 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:11 am New Switchblade dropped.

https://pivotcycles.com/en/bike-switchb ... ldAndPrice

160mm Fox36 forks
142mm rear travel up from 135 on the last one, with all models getting a DPX2 stock
29/27+ compatible

$5500 to start. :waxer:

So a few notes on the changes they made.
1) New linkage is good, it solves 2 problems. The first being rocks getting stuck in the upper link and smashing into the frame, damaging it. That's not a problem anymore since the linkage is protected by the seat tube. Second thing it solves is you can fit a real person water bottle in the frame triangle now. Hopefully this shock change makes its way through their lineup. At the demo day they didn't even have water bottle cages in the Mach 6 frames because they wouldn't fit. The Mach 5.5 I tested had one but the water bottle didn't fit with the piggyback shock so blah. This is a much better design.
2) BB is actually raised a tad. Bikes like this were getting pretty low, with common complaints being a lot of pedal strikes. So maybe that'll help.
3) Still has stupid "Super Boost" rear hub.
4) "High" setting is last year's "Low" setting, so that's cool.
5) Cleaner cable routing at the BB area. Last one had a cable running straight out the bottom, this puts it to the side.

This looks like a really REALLY nice bike. I thought the last Switchblade was pretty cool when I was just pedaling it around. Felt nimble and handled nicely, very plush. But still pedaled really well. Maybe the old ones are on fire sale now?
Can you find an old one in your size?
I dunno. Probably? Comp Cyclist has some for $4500, XO1 models. I guess I shoulda demo'd one that day. I've only pedaled one around on town streets hopping off curbs and stuff.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Went on a really cool trail run in Phoenix today, quite a few folks mountain biking there. It's crazy how different it is out west, I don't think I could've climbed a single hill with all the huge rocks.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:39 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:47 pm Went on a really cool trail run in Phoenix today, quite a few folks mountain biking there. It's crazy how different it is out west, I don't think I could've climbed a single hill with all the huge rocks.
All about momentum. Visualizing the line, and looking ahead.

I enjoy the challenge of picking my way through a rocky, challenging line. I also enjoy ripping a flowy trail, too.
I'd definitely like to give these trails a whirl someday. It would be super tough though. I actually love climbing but struggle with roots and such while climbing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:55 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:50 pm

I'd definitely like to give these trails a whirl someday. It would be super tough though. I actually love climbing but struggle with roots and such while climbing.
Drop the tire pressures a bit, get out of the saddle - gives you more traction and allows you to move your body independently of the bike and absorb bumps better.
Out of curiosity... do you clip in on your MTB (or anyone else here)? I wonder if that would help me on climbs. I have pretty good strength/endurance for climbing and normally make up ground there on people who are faster downhill, but the technical stuff still kicks my ass.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:09 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:55 pm

Drop the tire pressures a bit, get out of the saddle - gives you more traction and allows you to move your body independently of the bike and absorb bumps better.
Out of curiosity... do you clip in on your MTB (or anyone else here)? I wonder if that would help me on climbs. I have pretty good strength/endurance for climbing and normally make up ground there on people who are faster downhill, but the technical stuff still kicks my ass.
[user not found], fled, Johnny, and myself all clip in on the MTBs.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Platform pedals 4 lyfe yo

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Johnny_P

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Apex wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:11 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:09 am

Still too big of a :pussy: to clip in on my MTB. No problem with it on my roadie, but I stall out too frequently on the technical stuff to clip in. Basically I suck at MTBing.
Apex

coogles wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:18 pm

Still too big of a :pussy: to clip in on my MTB. No problem with it on my roadie, but I stall out too frequently on the technical stuff to clip in. Basically I suck at MTBing.
Eh, falling over is no big deal. It usually happens at least once per group ride for me. :lol:
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:33 pm

Eh, falling over is no big deal. It usually happens at least once per group ride for me. :lol:
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:04 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:33 pm

:ohdang:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The trick is to keep the wheels rolling, and to commit to even the worst line.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:08 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:04 pm

The trick is to keep the wheels rolling, and to commit to even the worst line.
:dat:

Chuff it until you stuff it is what I always say.
I have never once heard that phrase come out of your mouth.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
fledonfoot wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:37 pm I have never once heard that phrase come out of your mouth.
You just can't hear me saying it, I'm too far ahead. Image
:notbad:

I haven't touched my bike in months. The only exercise I've gotten recently is shoveling snow.

I did get pretty much all of the parts gathered to set up the trainer but haven't gotten rid of enough shit yet to make space to actually use the thing.

Fuck winter.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Bicycle commuting is still going well, although the chain came off my Raleigh this AM so I rolled into the office late with black fingers. I look forward to riding home when it's not dark out, but otherwise it's actually fairly enjoyable and I'm normally in a better mood by the time I get home.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:49 pm Bicycle commuting is still going well, although the chain came off my Raleigh this AM so I rolled into the office late with black fingers. I look forward to riding home when it's not dark out, but otherwise it's actually fairly enjoyable and I'm normally in a better mood by the time I get home.
Adjust the front derailleur and degrease / lube the chain.

I like bike commuting. I didn’t do it much because I always felt like I was going to get run over going into the plant.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:53 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:49 pm Bicycle commuting is still going well, although the chain came off my Raleigh this AM so I rolled into the office late with black fingers. I look forward to riding home when it's not dark out, but otherwise it's actually fairly enjoyable and I'm normally in a better mood by the time I get home.
Adjust the front derailleur and degrease / lube the chain.

I like bike commuting. I didn’t do it much because I always felt like I was going to get run over going into the plant.
It was from the rear derailleur... it had one of those plastic discs to prevent the chain from going too far inboard and it was all dry rotted, cracked, and rubbing as the wheel turned so I ripped it off. I just need to be careful shifting down back there. It has suicide shifters that are continuous rather than clicking, but the shifting is actually really smooth and nice.