2020 :plac: life!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:00 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:06 pm

:dat:

:jeep: and :meata: are must-dos in the world of being a car guy.
Hm. I guess I’m not a car guy. We have established that though.

I don’t understand a lot of the hardcore thou shalts of car guy ism. Like...
-Hate all camrys
-Hate all CUVs
-Trucks are the devil
-Manuel all the things
-Love brown diesel manual RWD station wagons

I can have fun in damn near everything I drive. I can appreciate aspects of almost every vehicle. I just enjoy operating the machine. Except the last gen Jeep Compass that thing was a fucking turd.
Those are Jalopnik's commandments, and they don't speak for everyone.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I'd actually go so far as to argue the Camry was (is?) one of the best cars ever made. No, fun is not the objective. Super reliable, durable, easy to use, and very well made is the objective. Which it has excelled at and literally set the bar for the entire industry to catch up to.

As an engineer myself, I find that aspect completely fascinating and respect it.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:53 am I'd actually go so far as to argue the Camry was (is?) one of the best cars ever made. No, fun is not the objective. Super reliable, durable, easy to use, and very well made is the objective. Which it has excelled at and literally set the bar for the entire industry to catch up to.

As an engineer myself, I find that aspect completely fascinating and respect it.
brain go brrrrrr
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:53 am I'd actually go so far as to argue the Camry was (is?) one of the best cars ever made. No, fun is not the objective. Super reliable, durable, easy to use, and very well made is the objective. Which it has excelled at and literally set the bar for the entire industry to catch up to.

Depends on how you measure “best”
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Big Brain Bradley wrote:

Imageol:

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Johnny_P wrote:I'd actually go so far as to argue the Camry was (is?) one of the best cars ever made. No, fun is not the objective. Super reliable, durable, easy to use, and very well made is the objective. Which it has excelled at and literally set the bar for the entire industry to catch up to.

You can say pretty much all that about the Accord plus it's also decent to drive and won't make you weep in despair every time you get behind the wheel.

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

wap wrote:
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:33 pm Last active:Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:43 am Detroit
THERE IS HOPE The man from Detroit Creeped around shortly after NY

Last active:Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:06 pm Dave looks to be lost :(
RIP:
Dave
6 Speeder
Sanchez

Also, KYJellyGuy has been MIA this year, too.
I miss six speeder and sanchez, he also lives about 30 mins from me :sad:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

Johnny_P

wap wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:09 pm
Johnny_P wrote:I'd actually go so far as to argue the Camry was (is?) one of the best cars ever made. No, fun is not the objective. Super reliable, durable, easy to use, and very well made is the objective. Which it has excelled at and literally set the bar for the entire industry to catch up to.

You can say pretty much all that about the Accord plus it's also decent to drive and won't make you weep in despair every time you get behind the wheel.

The Accord is a decent car. Earlier Hondas weren't on the same level as the Camry though, especially anything with an automatic, which is what 90% of the country purchased. I don't really care for Accords. I don't think they're sporty, and they ride pretty poorly. So IMO they solve nothing.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:06 pm :jeep: and :meata: are must-dos in the world of being a car guy.
Have NA. Agree there. Rented a Wrangler Unlimited for several days over Xmas 2018. All the :jeep: I ever needed. :nope:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:38 pm The Accord is a decent car. Earlier Hondas weren't on the same level as the Camry though, especially anything with an automatic, which is what 90% of the country purchased. I don't really care for Accords. I don't think they're sporty, and they ride pretty poorly. So IMO they solve nothing.
Which generations of each have you driven? Because that's the total opposite of my experience.

I've only owned one of those two, it was a pretty base 1996, but it rode beautifully, handled way better than it had any right to on 185/65/15 tires, and was genuinely a joy to own even as it approached 200k miles. Still the best car I've ever owned. Honestly quite a bit nicer than the 90s Camrys I've been in.

The last Camry I drove was a 2011 or 2012, and it was pretty terrible. The engine was incredibly coarse and the steering was pure videogame. It did ride pretty well, at least, but it wasn't an enjoyable driving experience at all. :iono:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I think Accords and Camrys are both pretty good :iono:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

stripethree wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:00 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:06 pm :jeep: and :meata: are must-dos in the world of being a car guy.
Have NA. Agree there. Rented a Wrangler Unlimited for several days over Xmas 2018. All the :jeep: I ever needed. :nope:

Have had several :truk: s. I don’t feel like I’m missing anything by not having a :jeep: and I’ve done off-roading in/on superior vehicles.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Would dirtbike 5/7 times over :jeep: for sure. No doors, roof, or windshield on those either!
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:51 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:08 pm Would dirtbike 5/7 times over :jeep: for sure. No doors, roof, or windshield on those either!
I'd really love to try a Grom.
:doit:
Dat gateway drug.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar

I was thinking offroad, but the downside is that I have no idea where you can legally and safely ride - and I definitely wouldn't want to go alone.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:23 pm
4zilch wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:19 pm
Dat gateway drug.
I feel like chasing down :wap: on the dragon would be an endless source of :lolol: for me.
:wat:
I'm not that bad a driver.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:31 pm I was thinking offroad, but the downside is that I have no idea where you can legally and safely ride - and I definitely wouldn't want to go alone.
Adventure bike?
Just a regular little dirtbike or a very small "ADV" thing, like the :fax: 300 versys at the biggest. I hated being on public roads with cars and cops, but liked riding the bike. Even an 80cc 2-smoke could be cool.
troyguitar

Sometimes it seems like there are more cops than civilian vehicles. I'm still after the summer version of riding snowmobile trails. No cars, no sweet jumps or mud bogs, just fairly smooth fun paths.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:57 pm Sometimes it seems like there are more cops than civilian vehicles. I'm still after the summer version of riding snowmobile trails. No cars, no sweet jumps or mud bogs, just fairly smooth fun paths.
crf250l or :fax: 300. get off the main roads and live.

honestly on the motorcycle, anywhere other than the dragon or very other few roads like it, you should be looking so far ahead that you can see police before they can get a bead on you. if you get a ticket for speeding on a curvy road, you aren't looking far enough ahead
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:52 pm crf250l or :fax: 300. get off the main roads and live.

honestly on the motorcycle, anywhere other than the dragon or very other few roads like it, you should be looking so far ahead that you can see police before they can get a bead on you. if you get a ticket for speeding on a curvy road, you aren't looking far enough ahead
Or it's the dragon, where you can't see very far ahead. Image
...or other places with hills and trees. The hills are the reason that most curvy roads exist. You generally can't look ahead very far unless you are on a straight, FLAT, boring road at which point the only fun speed is :plaid:
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

The 3.0L Camry disagrees with your reliability sentiment.
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:52 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:57 pm Sometimes it seems like there are more cops than civilian vehicles. I'm still after the summer version of riding snowmobile trails. No cars, no sweet jumps or mud bogs, just fairly smooth fun paths.
crf250l or :fax: 300. get off the main roads and live.

I still really want a WR250R or one of the Juan’s you mentioned :wub:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:23 pm
4zilch wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:19 pm
Dat gateway drug.
I feel like chasing down :wap: on the dragon would be an endless source of :lolol: for me.

Until Harley derp gives ya the point by but you can complete the pass until you get to the corn because 9hp.

Regardless, chasing people down is a good time. I can’t resist a good egg chase in my American shirt box.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Sounds like Maryville/Blount County :narc: nothing better to do than to write tickets.