Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:49 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:42 pm IS back seat is fine, but apparently I'm the only one who's not a pretty princess who needs a giant bubble to be comfortable. It's about the same size as an E46, jag XE, caddy ATS, vw mk6 golf, mazda3, etc.
It felt smaller to me since the front seats are bulky. The trunk is also small. I think it fit one checked bag and a carry-on. The second checked bag had to be put in the back seat. The physical size would be great though for JP, just not sure if it's legit large enough for a baby hauler.

I'm 6'2" so the seat is usually most of the way back. Wife is 5'4" ish so she sits a lot closer. Rear facing child seats are pretty big. And kid accessories take up a ton of space. Stroller, diaper bag, pack n' play, clothes bags, plus the dog. Eh. Bigger car would be easier to live with, and the GS is in many cases cheaper than the IS so :iono: why not go a little bigger. I don't care about performance I just want some passing power that the mainstream sedans don't have.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:49 pm

It felt smaller to me since the front seats are bulky. The trunk is also small. I think it fit one checked bag and a carry-on. The second checked bag had to be put in the back seat. The physical size would be great though for JP, just not sure if it's legit large enough for a baby hauler.

I'm 6'2" so the seat is usually most of the way back. Wife is 5'4" ish so she sits a lot closer. Rear facing child seats are pretty big. And kid accessories take up a ton of space. Stroller, diaper bag, pack n' play, clothes bags, plus the dog. Eh. Bigger car would be easier to live with, and the GS is in many cases cheaper than the IS so :iono: why not go a little bigger. I don't care about performance I just want some passing power that the mainstream sedans don't have.
Why not just get the RX? It even comes as a V6 hybrid. Lots of space yet fits in parking spots better than the GS.

The hybrid GS is pretty cool too though, the newer version (starting with 2013 maybe?) gets like 35 mpg with 300 hp.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:06 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Why not just get the RX? It even comes as a V6 hybrid. Lots of space yet fits in parking spots better than the GS.

The hybrid GS is pretty cool too though, the newer version (starting with 2013 maybe?) gets like 35 mpg with 300 hp.
RX is not a bad idea IMO. easier to get in and out of + hatch + its cheaper than a GS as well IIRC
troyguitar

Used the RX might cost more than the GS because no one wants sedans.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:15 pm Used the RX might cost more than the GS because no one wants sedans.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/ ... 40666.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ctd/d/ ... 00509.html

Yea they are sort of about the same.. the GS is far more difficult to find though.. the RX outsold it like 10:1
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

The Lexus credit card key from that era is nice too.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:30 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:15 pm Used the RX might cost more than the GS because no one wants sedans.

Yea they are sort of about the same.. the GS is far more difficult to find though.. the RX outsold it like 10:1
I know they aren't worlds different really, but I just don't like that gen RX. My last boss who fucked me over had one of those. And I don't really like the interiors of them. Would rather own the GS from that era. I do like the newer predator face ones but they're $30-35k ish. Which is in the pointless to purchase for street bashing range.

Troy is right though, the hybrids would be worth looking into. They all had longer warranties that transfer to next owner as well.

Here's a 2013 RX450h for $21k with 68k miles.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

They get 30 city, 30 highway. So that's pretty good. I think the GS hybrids were rear drive only?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:50 pm

I know they aren't worlds different really, but I just don't like that gen RX. My last boss who fucked me over had one of those. And I don't really like the interiors of them. Would rather own the GS from that era. I do like the newer predator face ones but they're $30-35k ish. Which is in the pointless to purchase for street bashing range.

Troy is right though, the hybrids would be worth looking into. They all had longer warranties that transfer to next owner as well.

They get 30 city, 30 highway. So that's pretty good. I think the GS hybrids were rear drive only?
I believe Lexus hybrids only began to offer AWD within the last year or two on the rwd platforms
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:

Yeah I think that the GS hybrid is RWD. Put good ballz seasons on it and :aintcare:

RX hybrid is pretty much exactly what you want :doe:
max225

I just checked... Pittsburgh gets an average of 28" of snow annually... You'd think FWD with no seasons will do just fine. AWD is an added BRONUS. Seems like the easy way to go with the RX...
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:00 pm I just checked... Pittsburgh gets an average of 28" of snow annually... You'd think FWD with no seasons will do just fine. AWD is an added BRONUS. Seems like the easy way to go with the RX...
Philly gets even less than that I think
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:08 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:00 pm I just checked... Pittsburgh gets an average of 28" of snow annually... You'd think FWD with no seasons will do just fine. AWD is an added BRONUS. Seems like the easy way to go with the RX...
Philly gets even less than that I think
13" :dedong:
Johnny_P

Philadelphia :mahman: The land of cheesesteaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN-zk0SVN7s

Even less snow :popcorn: I just like AWD. FWD is manageable as long as it's low power. Hi-po FWD is :disgust:
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:32 pm The Lexus credit card key from that era is nice too.
My bus pass key card is nice. Tap and go :notbad:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:57 pm
Johnny_P wrote:

Yeah I think that the GS hybrid is RWD. Put good ballz seasons on it and :aintcare:

Hybrids make a lot of sense in the city for sure. RX hybrid would be nice to own. Enough balls, better MPG, regular gas, fits extra junk in the trunk.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:57 pm Yeah I think that the GS hybrid is RWD. Put good ballz seasons on it and :aintcare:

Hybrids make a lot of sense in the city for sure. RX hybrid would be nice to own. Enough balls, better MPG, regular gas, fits extra junk in the trunk.
It's a perfect car. They were what I was first looking at before I got the MKZ, but were just more money than I wanted to spend on an appliance.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:00 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:38 pm I've driven the IS350 from that gen which is the same car but smaller. They're great cars. You've hit the main issues - and why I didn't buy one over the MKZ. No folding rear seats and crappy mileage on premium.

The 2006+ Toyota 3.5 V6 is going to be a legend IMO.
Yeah it is a very good engine. Sounds good too, this car with an exhaust would be a pretty rad dad car.

I bet it would run on 87. All the Becky's of the world that own RX350's (same motor) use 87, and CR rates the RX350 really high, so it's not like they're popping motors.
GS=Victory
ES=Seppuku
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:23 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:32 pm The Lexus credit card key from that era is nice too.
My bus pass key card is nice. Tap and go :notbad:

Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:32 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
It's a perfect car. They were what I was first looking at before I got the MKZ, but were just more money than I wanted to spend on an appliance.
I'm surprised by how much I like Lisa's hybrid jelly bean Cmax. Its a rattly Ford and would drive me nuts to DD but the drivetrain and MPG are pretty decent. Newer ones are only better. Even now in the winter where the gas engine runs more often it'll still do 35 inner city. Summer time it's 50 inner city.

Rav4 hybrid would also be good. But they come with less fluff, and cost the same as the GS I posted. And that's for a prior gen rat face one. Which I don't really hate either.
troyguitar

You certainly get more for your money in the GS. Tough call. I'd have to lean toward the RX for the hatch.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

The RX is more practical but the GS will be a generation newer tech/UI
Johnny_P

That pool noodle is doing gods work.
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:26 pm The RX is more practical but the GS will be a generation newer tech/UI
Idk if thats a good thing. The Lexus mouse isn’t exactly an improvement on anything at all. I need to check one of these out in person.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:00 pm Image

I was expecting something more substantial. And in a color. That's a shade of despair noodle.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:00 pm Image

Same color as the driver's noodle.