DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:49 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:45 am

Yeah that’s how I would do it. Hit your 3x5 or 5x5c whatever you’re doing now, and then pick a few accessory movements and do 3x12-15. You’ll get a good pump, and the lighter weight will be easier on your joints/tendons, especially if you can figure out a way to include those bands to change the resistance curve.
thanks.

my only worry is that I might de train only hitting big lifts once a week...my current scheme has a heavy day and a light day. Also pressing and bench pressing heavy and then for volume for both on the same day might also be hard since they use many of the same muscles.

I used to do squats and bench pressing one day, deads and presses the other on 531.

what if I did heavy squats, volume bench one day,
heavy press, heavy deads, pull-ups day 2
volume press, volume squats a third day.

alternatively, I could try to stick with the 4 day plan and move around things so I don't have heavy dead lift day on volume squats day...
I lift three days/week and it's basically this:

Day 1: Bench 531, Squat 531, OHP BB (5 sets of 10), "push" accessory work (tris, chest, shoulders) as time permits
Day 2: Dead lift 531, back/bis "pull" work
Day 3: OHP 531, bench "BBB", upper body accessory work

I add in some abs work most days as well.

This has been working pretty nicely for me. I don't really do much with legs outside of squat and dead lift since I do a bunch of running, biking, and stuff.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:21 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:49 pm

thanks.

my only worry is that I might de train only hitting big lifts once a week...my current scheme has a heavy day and a light day. Also pressing and bench pressing heavy and then for volume for both on the same day might also be hard since they use many of the same muscles.

I used to do squats and bench pressing one day, deads and presses the other on 531.

what if I did heavy squats, volume bench one day,
heavy press, heavy deads, pull-ups day 2
volume press, volume squats a third day.

alternatively, I could try to stick with the 4 day plan and move around things so I don't have heavy dead lift day on volume squats day...
I lift three days/week and it's basically this:

Day 1: Bench 531, Squat 531, OHP BB (5 sets of 10), "push" accessory work (tris, chest, shoulders) as time permits
Day 2: Dead lift 531, back/bis "pull" work
Day 3: OHP 531, bench "BBB", upper body accessory work

I add in some abs work most days as well.

This has been working pretty nicely for me. I don't really do much with legs outside of squat and dead lift since I do a bunch of running, biking, and stuff.
Thanks, I'm trying to work through week 2 of this program over 2 weeks before i switch. I will put something together

Today was intensity squats that I deloaded some so clean up form. I hit a solid 345x5.

Volume deads did not go great. 365 for 3x5.... no. I got 3, then 2, then deloaded the bar to 315 to get 2x5 at that weight for the volume work. It was hard.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Rack deads last night. Taking a wider grip now so I can activate my lats more. It increased my range of motion a bit, which definitely made them harder. Thought about raising the rack supports you a notch to account for that, but I’ll probably just keep them where they’re at and work the longer ROM. If I do raise them, I’ll take an even wider grip to make sure I’m getting at least the same ROM that I used to with my more narrow grip.

Anyways. 4 sets with 465. 8,8,6,6. Not terrible for the new set up.
SAWCE

Third week back on squats. 315 still. Hit 10, 8, 8, 8. 6 more reps than last week. Started adding back in some of the volume from this program too. Hit 4 sets of leg press instead of the 3 I did last week. Left the other three lifts at 3 sets each, but I’ll add a set to them over the next 3 weeks until I’m at full volume with 4 sets of everything.
SAWCE

Got my new food plan from coach. Gonna be nice to start putting weight back on and see how much I can grow the rest of the year. Kicking things off at a little over 4200 calories a day. Slightly less on the one day I don’t work out.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Hit 260 for squats this morning. :notbad:
Gonna start grabbing my belt going forward doe.

Deadlifts can suck it, I’d rather squat and I’m not competing in the foreseeable future. :aintcare:
Press is 125; bench is 180; and curls are at 60 for sets of 12.

Overall :notbad:
SAWCE

Yeah if deadlifts no longer feel good then there’s no reason to train them. To many people get stuck in this rut of “I have to do x,y, and z in the gym”.
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:49 pm Yeah if deadlifts no longer feel good then there’s no reason to train them. To many people get stuck in this rut of “I have to do x,y, and z in the gym”.
Yeah man, I just want to move some good weight around and feel good about picking things up and putting them down.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Apex wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:56 pm Hit 260 for squats this morning. :notbad:

Deadlifts can suck it, I’d rather squat and I’m not competing in the foreseeable future. :aintcare:

how much are you deadlifting? when I started training deads my squat also improved.

I also use to hate deadlifts, but then I started to like them. I think it's and important lift
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 am
Apex wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:56 pm Hit 260 for squats this morning. :notbad:

how much are you deadlifting? when I started training deads my squat also improved.

I also use to hate deadlifts, but then I started to like them. I think it's and important lift
Deadlift is right around squat weight.
If I didn’t have T-Rex 🦖 arms they wouldn’t be so bad; but need to go sumo to get something related to an okay back angle.
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:13 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 am

If I didn’t have T-Rex 🦖 arms they wouldn’t be so bad; but need to go sumo to get something related to an okay back angle.
Have a trap bar to deadlift with or a power rack you can do rack deads in?
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:10 am
Apex wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:13 am

There is a power rack I could do rack deads in...
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:26 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:10 am

With short arms, that’s what I’d be doing. You won’t get any leg work out of it, but if you take a wide enough grip that you can squeeze your lats whole holding the bar, you can build a hell of a back doing them.
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:56 am
Apex wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:26 am

With short arms, that’s what I’d be doing. You won’t get any leg work out of it, but if you take a wide enough grip that you can squeeze your lats whole holding the bar, you can build a hell of a back doing them.
:notbad:

I’ll try them out.
Apex

Bruised my :fatty: this morning since I haven’t worn my belt in >2 years. 265 moved nicely doe.
125 on press, I still missed the last rep on the last set. :disappoint:
SAWCE

First “week” (Started new gear last Thursday, but meal plan wasn’t ready until Monday night so started that this Tuesday) of bulking done. Up 3lbs. Dis gon be fun. Really excited to see what I look like in the mid 200s.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:59 pm First “week” (Started new gear last Thursday, but meal plan wasn’t ready until Monday night so started that this Tuesday) of bulking done. Up 3lbs. Dis gon be fun. Really excited to see what I look like in the mid 200s.
:massles:
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:08 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:16 pm

Detrain how? You won’t lose strength. As long as you’re pushing to failure this should give you better results than the four days a week since it sounds like you aren’t recovering all the way with that frequency.

Bench and OHP in the same day is tough for sure, but I’d just alternate which one you hit first each week to keep them balanced.

If you want to stick to your current four days a week, I’d do what you said and just not do volume deads after squatting or volume squats after deads. Training deads once a week is plenty. There are lots of other back accessory lifts you can do for volume after your squat day.
heard that, thanks. I'll work on my new sheet. would you mind taking a look at it once I get done?
email sent.

I ended up doing another week of the 4 day split. I definitely feel my strength responding to volume so I want to continue working on that.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

This morning was rough, everything felt slow and stupid heavy.
Squat: 280 for fahves
Bench: 190 for fahves
SAWCE

Legs tonight. Last week I was having some issues with my left quad, so I did smith machine squats and I was able to engage/isolate my quads way more, so I’m going to try those again today and maybe replace back squats with them completely so I can finally grow these fuckers.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Apex wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:59 pm This morning was rough, everything felt slow and stupid heavy.
hey, you say fahve the right way.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

after one week on my new bastardized Texas method, so far so good. feeling good. squats this Friday.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:16 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:59 pm This morning was rough, everything felt slow and stupid heavy.
hey, you say fahve the right way.
This is the way.
SAWCE

Posted on the Gram, but thought I’d share too. 1 year of back gains. Jan 26 2019 on top, today Feb 8 on bottom.

SAWCE

Weight is 202.6 and 227.4, respectively.