Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:22 am
Melon wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:16 am To be fair, a properly setup from the factory car is a nice thing to have.
The new MX-5s with the uprated engines are :megusta:

A well engineered and packaged car is something to cherish and behold.
:heavybreathing:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Is there such a thing as a car that's perfect from the factory? They're nearly all tuned for fuel economy and understeer.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:22 pm Is there such a thing as a car that's perfect from the factory? They're nearly all tuned for fuel economy and understeer.
Some are perfect enough for 99% of people.

To be clear, I'm not opposed to simple mods, but tearing a car apart to do a ton of crap to it usually means you started with the wrong car. I won't be doing that anymore.

Swaybars, Endlinks, Wheels, Tires, and light, easy to revert mods are okay to me. YMMV.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

dubshow wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:05 am Im buying Swedish's jb1. :troywax:

rip clutch
In4impressions before the clutch slips. :doit:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

rip clutch
:rolleyes:
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

If you don't enjoy automobiles the way that I enjoy automobiles, you're doing it wrong, and also of lesser intelligence.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:32 pm I mean... I mod some :iono:

It really depends on what you're doing. It's not that OEMs design poorly, but they do design to fit mass markets, to sell at a certain price, etc. Going to track your car? It's going to need some shit. Going to do serious offroading? Most things will need some shit.

The exhaust made me like my BMW 100% more, it's way less boring with some snap, crackle, pop. Things that majorly sacrifice reliability for a daily are a :nope: though.

Believe it or not, some things can be done for enjoyment rather than just financial gainz and fiscal responsibility.
:amazing:

Lighter wheels, GOOD tires
Well designed intake and exhaust
Sway bars that are not over the top.
WELL DESIGNED, tested and proven exhaust Mods.
WELL DESIGNED Intake Mods.
Tested and proven damper mods.

I think most factory suspension setups are compromises but on the other hand they are engineered compromises. I managed to put a damper, spring sway bar setup on my GTI that really helped the handling a lot with little ride compromise (I liked it better, really) but that was based on a LOT of reviews and experiments done by others. I do enjoy buying a car with strong aftermarket support.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:56 pm

rip clutch
:rolleyes:
:gtfo:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:40 pm

rip clutch
In4impressions before the clutch slips. :doit:
low boost mode yo. Im no moran.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:32 pm I mean... I mod some :iono:

It really depends on what you're doing. It's not that OEMs design poorly, but they do design to fit mass markets, to sell at a certain price, etc. Going to track your car? It's going to need some shit. Going to do serious offroading? Most things will need some shit.

The exhaust made me like my BMW 100% more, it's way less boring with some snap, crackle, pop. Things that majorly sacrifice reliability for a daily are a :nope: though.

Believe it or not, some things can be done for enjoyment rather than just financial gainz and fiscal responsibility.
This an entire forum is proof that we obviously don’t care about financial gainz or fiscal responsibility. :iono:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:07 pm If you don't enjoy automobiles the way that I enjoy automobiles, you're doing it wrong, and also of lesser intelligence.
:wrong:

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Melon wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:07 pm If you don't enjoy automobiles the way that I enjoy automobiles, you're doing it wrong, and also of lesser intelligence.
dead.gif
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
max225

:wrong: crowd still getting all fired up because there is a disagreement in opinion.
No one cares if you MoD. Do what makes you happy!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:26 pm :wrong: crowd still getting all fired up because there is a disagreement in opinion.
No, fuck you man, you're "cancelled".

Motherfucking snowflakes think it's their way or nothing and if you have another opinion you're life is about to be ruined by the social justice warriors that have been self appointed to do so.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Remember when America meant everyone could have an opinion?

Now if you don't agree with the illogical masses you get hunted down and your life as you know it is over.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:44 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:26 pm :wrong: crowd still getting all fired up because there is a disagreement in opinion.

Motherfucking snowflakes think it's their way or nothing and if you have another opinion you're life is about to be ruined by the social justice warriors that have been self appointed to do so.
My OpInIoN mAtTerS how dare you present a different one. IT PERSONALLY OFFENDS ME AND MY ANCESTORS.

This is why I am pissed at this :wrong: emoji now, everyone is just hiding behind it with a rallying cry of the "INJUSTICE OF DFD".
we're here to talk, we're all different, that's what makes it fun. If you want group think go join a communist country.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:sad: Where will we get another Soviet handwringer? That shit doesn't grow on trees.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:46 pm Remember when America meant everyone could have an opinion?

Now if you don't agree with the illogical masses you get hunted down and your life as you know it is over.
did :waxer:. get cancelled?

if so that's :wrong:
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:47 pm

My OpInIoN mAtTerS how dare you present a different one. IT PERSONALLY OFFENDS ME AND MY ANCESTORS.

This is why I am pissed at this :wrong: emoji now, everyone is just hiding behind it with a rallying cry of the "INJUSTICE OF DFD".
we're here to talk, we're all different, that's what makes it fun. If you want group think go join a communist country.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

FWIW, I don’t think anyone, ok maybe just me, is hiding behind the :wrong: emoji. Often I just don’t feel like articulating my position in another :deadhorse: discussion
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:21 am
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:03 am I like turning wrenches, but modding your only car is for 20 year olds. It's a lot more relaxing and enjoyable to be able to do what I want with a secondary vehicle without the mad dash to meet a Monday morning deadline so I can get to work. I'm not adverse to modifying a primary vehicle, but it would be things that don't affect driving manners or comfort. The only stock vehicle I own is the GTI, and I really don't feel like adversely affecting its warranty because it is also the only vehicle where the repairs are not on me.
I've grown out of it.

I now want to buy a car as I want it from the factory.

Plus... since I'm never really tied to a car, modding and demodding a car when it inevitably gets the :plac: is exhausting.
The only time I demodded a vehicle was when I traded in a truck that had headers on it. I left the headers on and the dealer called me the next day asking for the manifolds back. I said, "Sure. Give me the headers, then."

I gave them the stock pieces and they gave me the headers.

Otherwise, I'm not too concerned about pulling parts off and trying to sell them separately. It's a huge pain in the ass weeding out the no-money-having, low-balling cheapskates.
max225

4zilch wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:57 pm FWIW, I don’t think anyone, ok maybe just me, is hiding behind the :wrong: emoji. Often I just don’t feel like articulating my position in another :deadhorse: discussion
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Nobody cares about my mullet review :foreveralone:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:03 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:21 am

I've grown out of it.

I now want to buy a car as I want it from the factory.

Plus... since I'm never really tied to a car, modding and demodding a car when it inevitably gets the :plac: is exhausting.
The only time I demodded a vehicle was when I traded in a truck that had headers on it. I left the headers on and the dealer called me the next day asking for the manifolds back. I said, "Sure. Give me the headers, then."

Otherwise, I'm not too concerned about pulling parts off and trying to sell them separately. It's a huge pain in the ass weeding out the no-money-having, low-balling cheapskates.
I tried to re sell a short shifter on a forum once. $150 unit. People offering me $15 shipped. I threw it out.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:09 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:03 pm

I tried to re sell a short shifter on a forum once. $150 unit. People offering me $15 shipped. I threw it out.
my grom was the last major demod I'll do. such a fucking pain in the ass.

I'll buy allllll the used things doe. got cheap backbusters for the Kawasaki recently
brain go brrrrrr