Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

So, the Camerica-o

Driving this thing is pretty fun. It’s fucking FAST and sounds good. Handles great. Take off ramps 2x the warning speed with no issue. 245 front 275 rear it feels stable. I’m sure it would oversteer with throttle. More on that in a bit. Steering feels artificial but wheel is small and it’s quick to change direction. It tram lines a bit so maybe artificial steering works.

Ride is too rough for shit city streets. With mag dampers it might be better. Could use more tire sidewall but these 20s look good. We took it into Houston city and meh, it wouldn’t work well at all for Philly. But it’s pretty good on the highway not much to complain about and it’s damped better than most cars we’ve rented out here.

Visibility isn’t as bad when driving it. It has a rear view camera that is on the shark fin antenna and provides good rear visibility. It’s terrible if you just use the mirror. Blind spot monitors help, and just point the mirrors 45 deg out and it’s do able. Hard to see stop lights if you’re first in line. A little hard to place on a tight road but manageable.

Trans is great. Shifts are well sorted no hunting. Paddles respond super fast. Fun ripping through a handful of gears just to get to 60. Pull and hold the left paddle while decelerating and you get BRAAP crackle POP from the exhaust as it blips to the lowest gear it can hold. I’d choose this trans. I bet it’s more fun with real manual but this is great.

Engine is a peach and sounds awesome revving out. Pulls hard to redline. Goes into 4cyl on highway and takes a half second to wake up. The 275s have no chance of taming this beast they hop and scream through the first handful of gears.

So the downsides....
The engine doesn’t sound good at low RPM. It sounds like a rock crusher or something. And even with the 4cyl fuckery it is only getting 20 mpg.
Interior is a mixed bag of meh. 4K miles on this and it’s squeaking and buzzing. I think just from the firm ride. Why is the info screen pointed down this makes no sense. Door pockets suck. Cup holders suck. No place to stash your phone easily that sucks. The climate control bezel turning party trick is stupid and they take up way too much room. Gauge cluster is half digi half analog and seems ok but I feel could have been implemented better. Minor complaint though. Rear seat damn near useless and not even dog certified.

One odd thing. The focal points for all these systems are different. It has a HUD. And between the HUD, the rear mirror camera, the gauges, and the tilted down infotainment, your eyes are constantly refocusing. It was a little straining on my eyes.

This would be a fun car to own. Challenging to live with. The chally is set up better for DD and road trips. Our chally didn’t have a V8 so I can’t exactly compare but the mero is more fun.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

4zilch wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:43 am
MrH42 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:38 am

I usually find it's way cheaper and better to just buy cars suited to do that from the start.
:notwrong:

but arguably some of us find enjoyment in modding.
As much as 16 year old me thought I could turn a Mazda Protege5 into a race car, I had no idea how far off it was from actually being that.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:56 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:32 pm I mean... I mod some :iono:

It really depends on what you're doing. It's not that OEMs design poorly, but they do design to fit mass markets, to sell at a certain price, etc. Going to track your car? It's going to need some shit. Going to do serious offroading? Most things will need some shit.

The exhaust made me like my BMW 100% more, it's way less boring with some snap, crackle, pop. Things that majorly sacrifice reliability for a daily are a :nope: though.

Believe it or not, some things can be done for enjoyment rather than just financial gainz and fiscal responsibility.
:meata: exhaust is 100% for the lulz and :megusta:
The cheese sounds awesome.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

MrH42 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:38 am

I usually find it's way cheaper and better to just buy cars suited to do that from the start.

Much enjoy wow

Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

I like turning wrenches, but modding your only car is for 20 year olds. It's a lot more relaxing and enjoyable to be able to do what I want with a secondary vehicle without the mad dash to meet a Monday morning deadline so I can get to work. I'm not adverse to modifying a primary vehicle, but it would be things that don't affect driving manners or comfort. The only stock vehicle I own is the GTI, and I really don't feel like adversely affecting its warranty because it is also the only vehicle where the repairs are not on me.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:32 pm

Believe it or not, some things can be done for enjoyment rather than just financial gainz and fiscal responsibility.
:mindblown: :mindblown: :mindblown:
:mindblown: :howdareu: :mindblown:
:mindblown: :mindblown: :mindblown:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Im buying Swedish's jb1. :troywax:

rip clutch
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

MrH42 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:58 am

As much as 16 year old me thought I could turn a Mazda Protege5 into a race car, I had no idea how far off it was from actually being that.
Well some of us are reasonable with our knowledge and expectations.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:17 am Most cars can be made more fun with a rear sway bar and exhaust or intake for some noises, or stickier tires. Diminishing gains after that stuff and usually induces a ton of compromise.
:yeahok:

:wrong:

get back in your CUV that you've ruined and leave.

:trollface:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:07 am

you were reasonable at 16?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:09 am

you were reasonable at 16?
No, but I was broke, which is basically the same thing.

edit: but throwing a head/muffler on a dirty bike or atv and tuning the carb was a pretty normal thing.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:46 pm Mods always made me :rage: but I didn't learn until I was almost 30.... almost every mod had a downside... Now after sticking to OEM only... no more downsides. Live and learn.
*looks at E30*

Ha.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:58 am

Much enjoy wow

I don't know much about you, but the more I learn, the more I like.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I was naive! :(

I did have dope red and black leather seats. And an ECU from an MP3 Protege. Had to spend $450 and put that in so I was forced to buy premium and make an additional 10 hersperrs. Somehow that made sense to 16 year old me.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

To be fair, a properly setup from the factory car is a nice thing to have.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:13 am

I did have dope red and black leather seats. And an ECU from an MP3 Protege. Had to spend $450 and put that in so I was forced to buy premium and make an additional 10 hersperrs. Somehow that made sense to 16 year old me.
I remember asking my mom for your P5
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:18 am
MrH42 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:13 am

Your mom did spend a lot of time in it... :lolol:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:21 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:18 am
Your mom did spend a lot of time in it... :lolol:
:ohslap:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:22 am
Melon wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:16 am To be fair, a properly setup from the factory car is a nice thing to have.
To be fairrrrrrr.

You're right.

My GP was sublime. The new MX-5s with the uprated engines are :megusta:

A well engineered and packaged car is something to cherish and behold.
:poorvette:

:jeep:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:21 am
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:03 am I like turning wrenches, but modding your only car is for 20 year olds. It's a lot more relaxing and enjoyable to be able to do what I want with a secondary vehicle without the mad dash to meet a Monday morning deadline so I can get to work. I'm not adverse to modifying a primary vehicle, but it would be things that don't affect driving manners or comfort. The only stock vehicle I own is the GTI, and I really don't feel like adversely affecting its warranty because it is also the only vehicle where the repairs are not on me.
I've grown out of it.

I now want to buy a car as I want it from the factory.

Plus... since I'm never really tied to a car, modding and demodding a car when it inevitably gets the :plac: is exhausting.
Exactly how I feel.

Demodding the MK6R was a nightmare, and I left all the Steeda shit on the Mustang, zero fucks given. I was so over it at that point I didn't care that there was about $5k in mods on it that would go away for free. I was done with non-simple mods since then.

Also, no matter what I did and how much I liked it, within 3 months the new would wear off and I'd be tired of the mods, looking for stock or something else.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Mods allow me to build a car the exact way I want it tho.
That doesn't go for every vehicle, I've left the truck 100% alone (Other than OEM wheels)
But modding something to the point where it suits your taste is appealing.

I suppose I'll never "grow out of it"
I'll be turning wrenches until my hands can no longer hold them.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Melon wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:31 am Mods allow me to build a car the exact way I want it tho.
That doesn't go for every vehicle, I've left the truck 100% alone (Other than OEM wheels)
But modding something to the point where it suits your taste is appealing.

I suppose I'll never "grow out of it"
I'll be turning wrenches until my hands can no longer hold them.
I :wub: the fruits of your automotive labors :melon:

Please keep doing them.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Can we just not believe in absolutes and say it depends? It's just as silly to think every car is perfect as it left the factory and every mod is stupid, as it is to just throw parts at a car with no plan of how they'll all interact with one another and change the characteristics of the vehicle.
Last edited by coogles on Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:39 am Can we just not believe in absolutes and say it depends? It's just as silly to think every car is perfect as it left the factory and every mod is stupid as it is to just throw parts at a car with no plan of how they'll all interact with one another and change the characteristics of the vehicle.
Black and white is the only thing that exists in DFD
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

4zilch wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:44 am Black and white is the only thing that exists in DFD
:dat:

This is the internet, after all, what's the point of having a rational discussion?