Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:46 pm Mods always made me :rage: but I didn't learn until I was almost 30.... almost every mod had a downside... Now after sticking to OEM only... no more downsides. Live and learn.
I agree. Only certain mods are still okay by me. A light tune, tires/wheels and maybe an intake/filter change. Otherwise I'm leaving them alone. I don't need to buy coilovers anymore, or downpipes, or catbacks, or anything else that is going to seriously change some aspect of the car and make it terrible.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:28 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:46 pm Mods always made me :rage: but I didn't learn until I was almost 30.... almost every mod had a downside... Now after sticking to OEM only... no more downsides. Live and learn.
I agree. Only certain mods are still okay by me. A light tune, tires/wheels and maybe an intake/filter change. Otherwise I'm leaving them alone. I don't need to buy coilovers anymore, or downpipes, or catbacks, or anything else that is going to seriously change some aspect of the car and make it terrible.
I have 0 rugrats about getting the OEM fart pipe for the mini. Based on everything else I have read/seen the aftermarket is just not the same. You don't get the resale from it either... So its a completely sunk cost. OEM shit always sells for almost what you buy it for.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:30 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:28 pm

I have 0 rugrats about getting the OEM fart pipe for the mini. Based on everything else I have read/seen the aftermarket is just not the same. You don't get the resale from it either... So its a completely sunk cost. OEM shit always sells for almost what you buy it for.
Exactly.

Other than OEM I've yet to get an exhaust that didn't drone, or make some other obnoxious sounds that scream "Look at me, I'm still 16 and would LOVE to get a ticket!!"

After the Mustang in 2015 I think all my cars have been pretty much stock, other than the tune on the 911 and now JB4 on the R. I did a drop in filter on the Z06 after trying the Halltech intake for about a week. I'd rather avoid small headaches over nothing worth the time anymore.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:35 pm

Exactly.

Other than OEM I've yet to get an exhaust that didn't drone, or make some other obnoxious sounds that scream "Look at me, I'm still 16 and would LOVE to get a ticket!!"

After the Mustang in 2015 I think all my cars have been pretty much stock, other than the tune on the 911 and now JB4 on the R. I did a drop in filter on the Z06 after trying the Halltech intake for about a week. I'd rather avoid small headaches over nothing worth the time anymore.
Makes sense. Also how is the golf treating ya? Did you put some miles on it yet?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:36 pm

Exactly.

Makes sense. Also how is the golf treating ya? Did you put some miles on it yet?
So far, so good. I used VCDS and coded everything up I wanted and I've put about 1,000 miles on it as of this morning. Oddly, I'm on the opposite side of the argument now and actually wonder if I should have gotten the DSG instead of :manuel: I really think that the PDK has spoiled/ruined me..
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:45 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:36 pm

So far, so good. I used VCDS and coded everything up I wanted and I've put about 1,000 miles on it as of this morning. Oddly, I'm on the opposite side of the argument now and actually wonder if I should have gotten the DSG instead of :manuel: I really think that the PDK has spoiled/ruined me..
Based on the splits I have seen golf Rs are about 50/50 :manuel: to dsg. I can see the argument for manual for sure, the DSG made is sort of boring to drive... the manual will keep it more engaging and fun.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:48 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:45 pm

Based on the splits I have seen golf Rs are about 50/50 :manuel: to dsg. I can see the argument for manual for sure, the DSG made is sort of boring to drive... the manual will keep it more engaging and fun.
I just don't care for the 1-2 shift in the R with the gearing. It seems like it should pull more before redline. 2-3, 3-4 are good gears. I just feel like I'm short shifting in 1-2 at redline.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Exactly.

No bueno on the Stingah?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Yep. I basically do wheels, tires, and sometimes suspension mods. Everything else are just little nice to have accessories for the interior or cosmetic things.

Blows my mind when people talk about putting an intake or exhaust on an S2000. 1. It's really loud stock already. Plenty of noise at redline. 2. You think a 2.0 liter, making 120 hp/liter, designed in the late 90s by one of the best engine manufacturers on the planet, left horsepower on the table with design that some hillbilly solved with some tubing and sells on eBay?
max225

MrH42 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:07 pm
Yep. I basically do wheels, tires, and sometimes suspension mods. Everything else are just little nice to have accessories for the interior or cosmetic things.

Blows my mind when people talk about putting an intake or exhaust on an S2000. 1. It's really loud stock already. Plenty of noise at redline. 2. You think a 2.0 liter, making 120 hp/liter, designed in the late 90s by one of the best engine manufacturers on the planet, left horsepower on the table with design that some hillbilly solved with some tubing and sells on eBay?
CONICAL FILTER BRO! UNLEASH THE POWA. Also gotta slam it to the ground... to get extra handling.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:04 pm

Exactly.

No bueno on the Stingah?
Wasn't a fan.

Didn't see/feel any gains over the Burger air filter. I had the AFE on my Z51 and had the same conclusion. Plus, the Stinger made you reroute a coolant line and could be a sticking point with any warranty work for overheating.. Ended up buying another coolant hose for $120 to go back to stock.

That was a $1200 and a couple hour experiment that was pointless.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:09 pm

CONICAL FILTER BRO! UNLEASH THE POWA. Also gotta slam it to the ground... to get extra handling.
You get it.

Everybody: This guy fucks.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:10 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:04 pm

No bueno on the Stingah?
Wasn't a fan.

Didn't see/feel any gains over the Burger air filter. I had the AFE on my Z51 and had the same conclusion. Plus, the Stinger made you reroute a coolant line and could be a sticking point with any warranty work for overheating.. Ended up buying another coolant hose for $120 to go back to stock.

That was a $1200 and a couple hour experiment that was pointless.
Yeah the prices on Halltech are stupid.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:09 pm

:pftch: My S2000 maybe be lowered a bit...

My stock shocks needed replacing! And if I was going to go with a big ole wide, square setup, I had to get some more camber to make them fit nicely. But never cheap out on coilovers. That's the rule.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:56 pm
wap wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:42 pm

Hard core. :impressive:
I was never awake at 6:00 am during the summer. :lol:
From about 8 - 12 I was up at the crack of dawn and ready to ride my bike with my friends all day long. We would meet up and go ride, then go to the Arcade to play video games, get lunch at Stanford shopping center and ride some more. about 13 I started getting into my lazy, sleep until noon stay up until 6am watching VHS rentals phase. Tower Video was awesome back in the day, maybe better than the record shop side of the store.
:) Bike riding, video game arcades, VHS rentals til all hours drinking Big Gulps to stay awake. Yep, sounds like my childhood, too. :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

wap wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:40 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:56 pm

From about 8 - 12 I was up at the crack of dawn and ready to ride my bike with my friends all day long. We would meet up and go ride, then go to the Arcade to play video games, get lunch at Stanford shopping center and ride some more. about 13 I started getting into my lazy, sleep until noon stay up until 6am watching VHS rentals phase. Tower Video was awesome back in the day, maybe better than the record shop side of the store.
:) Bike riding, video game arcades, VHS rentals til all hours drinking Big Gulps to stay awake. Yep, sounds like my childhood, too. :like:
Big Gulps????

Clearly Bloomberg wasn’t your mayor. :lolol:
max225

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/tesl ... 26006.html

Biggest market is down 50% stock :aintcare: here is a record for you... :wtf:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:51 pm
wap wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:40 pm

Big Gulps????

Clearly Bloomberg wasn’t your mayor. :lolol:
Life long Chicagoan :bruh:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I mean... I mod some :iono:

It really depends on what you're doing. It's not that OEMs design poorly, but they do design to fit mass markets, to sell at a certain price, etc. Going to track your car? It's going to need some shit. Going to do serious offroading? Most things will need some shit.

The exhaust made me like my BMW 100% more, it's way less boring with some snap, crackle, pop. Things that majorly sacrifice reliability for a daily are a :nope: though.

Believe it or not, some things can be done for enjoyment rather than just financial gainz and fiscal responsibility.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:32 pm I mean... I mod some :iono:

It really depends on what you're doing. It's not that OEMs design poorly, but they do design to fit mass markets, to sell at a certain price, etc. Going to track your car? It's going to need some shit. Going to do serious offroading? Most things will need some shit.

The exhaust made me like my BMW 100% more, it's way less boring with some snap, crackle, pop. Things that majorly sacrifice reliability for a daily are a :nope: though.

Believe it or not, some things can be done for enjoyment rather than just financial gainz and fiscal responsibility.
:dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

yes.
brain go brrrrrr
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Wait so you guys don't take your sensible AWD Japanese station wagon daily drivers and do coilovers, mad cambers, forged :ramz: with PSS, highly bolstered seats, custom audio, high comp pistons, cylinder boring, deck the heads with thinner gaskets, lighter crankshaft, headers, and custom exhaust? Then blow the engine a year later and have to buy another daily while you fox your daily?

:wrong: ?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Most cars can be made more fun with a rear sway bar and exhaust or intake for some noises, or stickier tires. Diminishing gains after that stuff and usually induces a ton of compromise.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I usually find it's way cheaper and better to just buy cars suited to do that from the start.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

MrH42 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:38 am

I usually find it's way cheaper and better to just buy cars suited to do that from the start.
:notwrong:

but arguably some of us find enjoyment in modding.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...