Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:22 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:57 pm

Why would they make a new one? They couldn't sell the old one.
They priced it out of the audience that it appealed to. Once that 20% sale hit, they flew off the lots. At least, the manual ones did. The automatics sat a little longer, but they still moved. The car needed to be in the mid-upper 30s, instead of the upper-40s, lower-50s.

GM could have had a direct competitor to the Charger, but GM is going to GM. Truckz n Vettez!
My friend that sold me the Corvettes was trying to sell those cars at 20-25% off the whole time. The only reason they sold at the end was FOMO once it was announced they were shit-canning the car. Then, and only then did everyone "need to have one". He even mad a comment to me that Chevy should tell the public that they were cancelling every car, then his sales employees could move more than Silverados and Corvettes. :lol:
Last edited by CorvetteWaxer on Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Swedish Chef wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:27 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:18 pm

Yeah. They should make a new one. But they won’t. I wouldn’t even care if it only came with the schwinn-o-matic.
If auto isn’t an issue, why not 392 Charger?
New Scat Packs can be had for mid 30s.

Oh right, driving dynamics.
I was just talking in general, not necessarily for me. I have no use for a RWD vehicle.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:14 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:01 pm

:word:
Yup. We had our favorite routes to drive just to drive, too. We'd make a whole afternoon or evening out of it. Back when gas was < $1 gallon for LEADED regular. :lol:
Yeah, this used to be my go to, probably did this drive 5 days a week:

Started in Los Altos Hills, up to Saratoga to Highway 9, then to the Boardwalk, a couple more beaches, sometimes over to Aptos, then back home on 17. Haven't done that in about 5 years now and probably 20 before that.
:nice:
We got no roads like that here in flatlandia. :lol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:19 pm Funny though.. Back then parents would let their kids go and do stuff, and this was before the general availability of car phones, let alone the proliferation of cell phones.

I was learning about corner apexes at high speeds with no safety gear, and absolutely no airbags. :lolol:

Today kids are pushing the envelope if they meet friends in the front yard to hang out on the lawn.
For sure! Remember the days when your mom would kick you out of the house and tell you not to come back until the street lights came on? :lol:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:19 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:19 pm Funny though.. Back then parents would let their kids go and do stuff, and this was before the general availability of car phones, let alone the proliferation of cell phones.

I was learning about corner apexes at high speeds with no safety gear, and absolutely no airbags. :lolol:

Today kids are pushing the envelope if they meet friends in the front yard to hang out on the lawn.
For sure! Remember the days when your mom would kick you out of the house and tell you not to come back until the street lights came on? :lol:
Yep, and that happened at 6am on summer days.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:37 pm
Swedish Chef wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:27 pm

If auto isn’t an issue, why not 392 Charger?
New Scat Packs can be had for mid 30s.

Oh right, driving dynamics.
The Parking Palooza gets more complicated when you need to go to Merchant Marine school to get your license.
:dat: is the number 1 reason why charger/chally is :nope: parking palooza by the White House and within 6 miles radius of it. It can be done, but can also be :rage: inducing at times.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:47 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:22 pm

They priced it out of the audience that it appealed to. Once that 20% sale hit, they flew off the lots. At least, the manual ones did. The automatics sat a little longer, but they still moved. The car needed to be in the mid-upper 30s, instead of the upper-40s, lower-50s.

GM could have had a direct competitor to the Charger, but GM is going to GM. Truckz n Vettez!
My friend that sold me the Corvettes was trying to sell those cars at 20-25% off the whole time. The only reason they sold at the end was FOMO once it was announced they were shit-canning the car. Then, and only then did everyone "need to have one". He even mad a comment to me that Chevy should tell the public that they were cancelling every car, then his sales employees could move more than Silverados and Corvettes. :lol:
Wish I had known about your friend. I wanted one, but they were too much money and the dealers over this way were refusing to budge any more than a grand or two off MSRP. When the 20% sales happened, the manual ones flew off the lots.
Huckleberry

Glorious times when that light bulb burned out. :hue:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:06 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:52 pm

Genz doesn’t know what a car is
Dragged my 17 year old out of bed on Sunday to show her the finer points of washing her car. At first there was some attitude but that went away pretty quickly. We also covered how to check and air tires and checking the oil. I was reminded at the end that all of this instruction was made superfluous by public transportation. I decided not to parse the realities of public transport in most places. The illustrative lesson for the purposes of this thread is that as a 17 year old I had NO THOUGHTS of ever utilizing public transportation and worshipped the personal vehicle as most of us here still do. This is not the case for today's teenager.
I mean... we will all be much better off if this all comes to fruition with the current gen of teenagers. Leave the cars for car enthusiasts :thisisfine:

I did go out and get my license on my 16th birthday though and drove my shitty 12 year old Taurus as much as possible. When I got my Civic and learned :manuel: and started doing mods at 17, I was truly in heaven.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:18 pm

Yeah. They should make a new one. But they won’t. I wouldn’t even care if it only came with the schwinn-o-matic.
:dat:

And people want new prices for used cars.
:rage:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:22 am
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:06 pm

Dragged my 17 year old out of bed on Sunday to show her the finer points of washing her car. At first there was some attitude but that went away pretty quickly. We also covered how to check and air tires and checking the oil. I was reminded at the end that all of this instruction was made superfluous by public transportation. I decided not to parse the realities of public transport in most places. The illustrative lesson for the purposes of this thread is that as a 17 year old I had NO THOUGHTS of ever utilizing public transportation and worshipped the personal vehicle as most of us here still do. This is not the case for today's teenager.
I mean... we will all be much better off if this all comes to fruition with the current gen of teenagers. Leave the cars for car enthusiasts :thisisfine:

I did go out and get my license on my 16th birthday though and drove my shitty 12 year old Taurus as much as possible. When I got my Civic and learned :manuel: and started doing mods at 17, I was truly in heaven.
My 8yr old wanted me to save the poorvette for him so that he can drive it when he turns 16. At five he helped me change the battery using a ratchet. It's the parents fault that these kids are retarded, and it isn't just access to cars.
Huckleberry

Melon wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:54 am

It's ridiculous the prices people want for a 5-3 year old SS. Even more ridiculous are the prices people want for a G8 GXP.
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:02 am

Hard core. :impressive:
I was never awake at 6:00 am during the summer. :lol:
wap

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:11 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:22 am

My 8yr old wanted me to save the poorvette for him so that he can drive it when he turns 16. At five he helped me change the battery using a ratchet. It's the parents fault that these kids are retarded, and it isn't just access to cars.
:notwrong:

Disclaimer: DFD parents excluded, of course.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:42 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:02 am

Hard core. :impressive:
I was never awake at 6:00 am during the summer. :lol:
From about 8 - 12 I was up at the crack of dawn and ready to ride my bike with my friends all day long. We would meet up and go ride, then go to the Arcade to play video games, get lunch at Stanford shopping center and ride some more. about 13 I started getting into my lazy, sleep until noon stay up until 6am watching VHS rentals phase. Tower Video was awesome back in the day, maybe better than the record shop side of the store.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Drove the mullet mobile today. Impressions later. It’s pretty good.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:20 pm Drove the mullet mobile today. Impressions later. It’s pretty good.
cumMaro?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

dubshow wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:20 pm Drove the mullet mobile today. Impressions later. It’s pretty good.
cumMaro?
After :hibachi:

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:45 pm
dubshow wrote:
cumMaro?
After :hibachi:

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
:pout:

typical.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:44 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:11 am

Disclaimer: DFD parents excluded, of course.

I think we are a pretty bright group and our kids and parents will be much of the same hopefully.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:17 am
Melon wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:54 am

It's ridiculous the prices people want for a 5-3 year old SS. Even more ridiculous are the prices people want for a G8 GXP.
:pout: :scrooge:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Mods always made me :rage: but I didn't learn until I was almost 30.... almost every mod had a downside... Now after sticking to OEM only... no more downsides. Live and learn.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:46 pm Mods always made me :rage: but I didn't learn until I was almost 30.... almost every mod had a downside... Now after sticking to OEM only... no more downsides. Live and learn.
Plastidip has no downsides
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:58 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:46 pm Mods always made me :rage: but I didn't learn until I was almost 30.... almost every mod had a downside... Now after sticking to OEM only... no more downsides. Live and learn.
Plastidip has no downsides
Neither does stance