Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:39 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:38 pm

It’s easier to place it backing up due to the camera. It’s impossible to tell where the front of this boat is.
If only you could see over the dash... but no ... StYlE
Form > Function
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:49 pm
4zilch wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:06 pm :wrong:

Millennials Are Getting Their Licenses in Record Numbers

https://www.thedrive.com/news/31823/pro ... JKqPDm4trg
Haven't we hit the generation after Millennials yet?
Didn’t they all die from anti-vaxx parents? :notsure:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

4zilch wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:06 pm :wrong:

Millennials Are Getting Their Licenses in Record Numbers

https://www.thedrive.com/news/31823/pro ... JKqPDm4trg
Genz doesn’t know what a car is
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:52 pm

Dragged my 17 year old out of bed on Sunday to show her the finer points of washing her car. At first there was some attitude but that went away pretty quickly. We also covered how to check and air tires and checking the oil. I was reminded at the end that all of this instruction was made superfluous by public transportation. I decided not to parse the realities of public transport in most places. The illustrative lesson for the purposes of this thread is that as a 17 year old I had NO THOUGHTS of ever utilizing public transportation and worshipped the personal vehicle as most of us here still do. This is not the case for today's teenager.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:06 pm

Dragged my 17 year old out of bed on Sunday to show her the finer points of washing her car. At first there was some attitude but that went away pretty quickly. We also covered how to check and air tires and checking the oil. I was reminded at the end that all of this instruction was made superfluous by public transportation. I decided not to parse the realities of public transport in most places. The illustrative lesson for the purposes of this thread is that as a 17 year old I had NO THOUGHTS of ever utilizing public transportation and worshipped the personal vehicle as most of us here still do. This is not the case for today's teenager.
Nope. We're way more urban than we've ever been. And puber has made life quite different for most under the age of 35. Obviously the olds still scream about pulling their 2005 F150 from their cold dead hands, and how it is the best thing since sliced bread.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

DUI enforcement and consequences have also changed significantly in the past 30+ years. Sure, boomers might have driven all over hell to concerts and stuff but if kids today did that then they would get the fucking death penalty...
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:55 pm Image
:fuckyeah: :burnout:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Desertbreh wrote:
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:52 pm Genz doesn’t know what a car is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:28 pm I just pulled up Tire Rack to remind myself which tires exist and the Conti ECS is indeed almost 50% more than the Indy 500 right now. The new tires that actually compete directly with it are the General G-Max RS and Falken FK510, not that Yoko V601.

I haven't tried any of them but test results are positive for both and they're priced the same as the 500 at least in my size. I'd toss a coin between the General and the Falken in this price range, personally. The extra wet traction over the 500 would be worth it and the reduced noise over the Comp2 would also be worth it. Maybe leaning toward the Falken just because they're not directional so you can rotate them left to right.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/te ... p?ttid=235
Yeah I like that option, the Generals have good road manners and sound a little more predictable in wet weather then the Indys and intrigue me too.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Chevy SS
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Melon wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:13 pm
Chevy SS
Yeah. They should make a new one. But they won’t. I wouldn’t even care if it only came with the schwinn-o-matic.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:(
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:18 pm

Chevy SS
Yeah. They should make a new one. But they won’t. I wouldn’t even care if it only came with the schwinn-o-matic.
Why would they make a new one? They couldn't sell the old one.

If you don't like the Camaro's view of the front end from the seat, you'll also hate the Mustang, C6 and C7 since they are all almost identical. Having owned all of them and spending thousands of miles behind the wheel of each, they aren't bad after you learn how to drive them.. Kinda like the 4th Gen Fbody that has the disappearing hood line where you have to guess where the bumper is.

You park, get out, look, then make a mental note as to the location of the front end to curb. Next time, you're much better and by the 4th time it's just automatic.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:56 pm

Ain't no Gen Zer's boring out their air cooled flat fours for more POWAH Ron.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Agreed.

I started legally driving at 14 while visiting my dad in South Dakota. When I got back to California at 15 the 6 months until I could get my permit was worse than a jail sentence, as far as I was concerned.

When I got my license at 16 I can honestly say I spent no less than an average of 6 hours a day, just driving to drive with nowhere to go for the first 10 months or so.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:57 pm
Ain't no Gen Zer's boring out their air cooled flat fours for more POWAH Ron.
And the world is just a little less :fuckyeah: for it.
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:00 pm
Agreed.

I started legally driving at 14 while visiting my dad in South Dakota. When I got back to California at 15 the 6 months until I could get my permit was worse than a jail sentence, as far as I was concerned.

When I got my license at 16 I can honestly say I spent no less than an average of 6 hours a day, just driving to drive with nowhere to go for the first 10 months or so.
:word:
Yup. We had our favorite routes to drive just to drive, too. We'd make a whole afternoon or evening out of it. Back when gas was < $1 gallon for LEADED regular. :lol:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:01 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:00 pm

Agreed.

:word:
Yup. We had our favorite routes to drive just to drive, too. We'd make a whole afternoon or evening out of it. Back when gas was < $1 gallon for LEADED regular. :lol:
Yeah, this used to be my go to, probably did this drive 5 days a week:

Started in Los Altos Hills, up to Saratoga to Highway 9, then to the Boardwalk, a couple more beaches, sometimes over to Aptos, then back home on 17. Haven't done that in about 5 years now and probably 20 before that.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Funny though.. Back then parents would let their kids go and do stuff, and this was before the general availability of car phones, let alone the proliferation of cell phones.

I was learning about corner apexes at high speeds with no safety gear, and absolutely no airbags. :lolol:

Today kids are pushing the envelope if they meet friends in the front yard to hang out on the lawn.
max225

Considering I went to UCSC and actually commuted for 1.5 years that road is quite familiar to me.. damn it was a shit show at points. SC Boardwalk is quite a cesspool lately though :(

My friend totalled 2 cars on that damn road, and at least 2 other people I went to school with. I never thought it was anything worth while... it is pretty easy to stay safe on it as long as you don't go :fullretard:
Last edited by max225 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:57 pm

Why would they make a new one? They couldn't sell the old one.
They priced it out of the audience that it appealed to. Once that 20% sale hit, they flew off the lots. At least, the manual ones did. The automatics sat a little longer, but they still moved. The car needed to be in the mid-upper 30s, instead of the upper-40s, lower-50s.

GM could have had a direct competitor to the Charger, but GM is going to GM. Truckz n Vettez!
max225

No one bought the ATS which in case anyone forgot is the Camero. So why would anyone buy the "Charger" version? Especially since GM had it ... it was called the G8 and the SS and they were utter failures as well.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

Chevy SS
If auto isn’t an issue, why not 392 Charger?
New Scat Packs can be had for mid 30s.

Oh right, driving dynamics.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Swedish Chef wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:27 pm

If auto isn’t an issue, why not 392 Charger?
New Scat Packs can be had for mid 30s.

Oh right, driving dynamics.
The Parking Palooza gets more complicated when you need to go to Merchant Marine school to get your license.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:21 pm Considering I went to UCSC and actually commuted for 1.5 years that road is quite familiar to me.. damn it was a shit show at points. SC Boardwalk is quite a cesspool lately though :(

My friend totalled 2 cars on that damn road, and at least 2 other people I went to school with. I never thought it was anything worth while... it is pretty easy to stay safe on it as long as you don't go :fullretard:
Yeah, Santa Cruz as a whole was seedy in the 80's, and has gone down hill ever since. So many homeless it might as well be called "little SF".

Yeah, I never really had any close calls on 9 in a car, other than idiots that were going the other way coming across the line. On my bikes though.... well, that road is another story on a bike. A very fun, fast ride.