Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:51 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:08 pm

Don't forget to do the normal rental car things like tug-of-war with a diesel Ram 2500, ford a 48" deep river, and run into a brick wall.
The placard on the rear tailgate of the JLU states it can ford 30” of water at 5mph.
Oh I was talking about a rental Hyundai back there, not a JLU.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:58 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:51 pm

The placard on the rear tailgate of the JLU states it can ford 30” of water at 5mph.
Oh I was talking about a rental Hyundai back there, not a JLU.
I know, I just thought it was :neat: that Jeep put that info out there.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

4zilch wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:06 pm Guess I'm the only person that treats a rental car with any sort of dignity. Next time I'm in Houston I'll be sure to send it off every curb I can find, find a washboard road to do 80 MPH on, run over a few shopping carts, and get the damage waiver so I can roll it on a sand dune like a normal person.

Meanwhile, I'm sure the general public takes great care of their own vehicles.

Thankfully Travis actually decided to post up something relevant for once instead of his normal " :wrong: " response and contributed to the thread. That's the sort of discussion I was hoping to have, so thanks for the input. My concern would be around the mechanicals and how they're maintained. Body panels are easy to assess as is interior condition, but engine/trans/etc stuff is a lot harder to check on a 20 minute test drive.
:wrong:

:trollface:
:notwrong:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:15 am Would you buy a prior rental car? Like a more mundane model not a sporty car.

Anyone know if they even do basics like oil changes?
Yep for the right price which should be way lower then a single owner example with a clean fax. People sometimes warm the engine up in the winter by mashing the gas pedal in neutral for a few min.

My FIL bought a POS ex-rental Sebring which lasted him 11 years and was almost half the cost of new after one year of service. That sounds like a good way to go for NFG commuting.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I fucking love this thing already FML. It's a Bighorn so value package trim with UConn 8.4, heated seats/wheel etc. That thing got a hemi? Yep. This truck is so fucking nice and it's not even middle of the road.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:15 pm Image

I fucking love this thing already FML. It's a Bighorn so value package trim with UConn 8.4, heated seats/wheel etc. That thing got a hemi? Yep. This truck is so fucking nice and it's not even middle of the road.
Yeah thats the way to get them. Street spec. The Rebel was meh but you could tell it would be a good truck in a more reasonable spec. Ours was a V6 and even that didn't suck power wise.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:37 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:15 pm Image

Yeah thats the way to get them. Street spec. The Rebel was meh but you could tell it would be a good truck in a more reasonable spec. Ours was a V6 and even that didn't suck power wise.
This one even rides 95% as well as the Escalade in comfort mode.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:15 am Would you buy a prior rental car? Like a more mundane model not a sporty car.

Anyone know if they even do basics like oil changes?
My 2010 corolla was an ex TRAC car back in the day.

There’s a difference in a $18k econobox rental they give out at $20 a day and a $50k premium SUV they’re renting at $80 a day. The people behind the wheel are definitely different.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

4zilch wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:43 pm @stripethree you still have the challenger video with the smoking brakes
Yes (Insta). There were also donuts. I believe Señor Melon has the engine cover.

Upon return, that car needed tires, brakes, and probably a head gasket.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

stripethree wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:34 pm
4zilch wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:43 pm @stripethree you still have the challenger video with the smoking brakes
Yes (Insta). There were also donuts. I believe Señor Melon has the engine cover.

Upon return, that car needed tires, brakes, and probably a head gasket.
:mahman:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Fo ... =261413139

FUCKUS RS is now below 30k... Damn they actually depreciated quite a bit in the last 6 months...
Apex

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:07 pm https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Fo ... =261413139

FUCKUS RS is now below 30k... Damn they actually depreciated quite a bit in the last 6 months...
:ohdang:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

max225 wrote:https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Fo ... =261413139

:notbad:

And it's not a zombie hunter car. Do they have any issues aside from the head gasket switcheroo?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:20 pm

And it's not a zombie hunter car. Do they have any issues aside from the head gasket switcheroo?

What's a zombie hunter car?

HG issue is pretty fking shitty to be honest as it requires the cracking open of the most complicated part of the car and re-assembly. I am :notsure: if the techs are all "quality job #1" so it would be quite interesting to see how they hold out.

Other than that some "diff" overheating issues due to "drifting" but :whocares: i don't destroy my own cars. These are very cool, but mk 7.5 golf Rs are going to be really close in price and have much nicer interiors.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:25 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:20 pm :notbad:

HG issue is pretty fking shitty to be honest as it requires the cracking open of the most complicated part of the car and re-assembly. I am :notsure: if the techs are all "quality job #1" so it would be quite interesting to see how they hold out.

Other than that some "diff" overheating issues due to "drifting" but :whocares: i don't destroy my own cars. These are very cool, but mk 7.5 golf Rs are going to be really close in price and have much nicer interiors.
One of the last cheap FoRS's you posted had a giant zombie hunter sticker in the grille.

Superior interior always wins :doe:
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:38 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:25 pm

One of the last cheap FoRS's you posted had a giant zombie hunter sticker in the grille.

Superior interior always wins :doe:
Oh yea that's right... that and the :fullretard: parking brake extender.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:20 pm

My biggest problem with the RS is that it's a $45k car built on the bones a $16k car. It drives like stink but it's cheap and plastic and crappy to be in, despite the seats.

The ST's not too bad, because you could get them for $20k in ST1 trim.

The Golf R is at least a premium version of a premium hatchback.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:45 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:20 pm :notbad:

My biggest problem with the RS is that it's a $45k car built on the bones a $16k car. It drives like stink but it's cheap and plastic and crappy to be in, despite the seats.

The ST's not too bad, because you could get them for $20k in ST1 trim.

The Golf R is at least a premium version of a premium hatchback.

Mmmmmmm premium hatch back........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twyw8UdsWnY
Apex

Not sure where this question might go but does anyone here have an experience with importing a car?
We’re getting to the age when mid-90s stuff is legally allowed to be imported but I’m not sure about getting something like that tagged and insured?
max225

Apex wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:57 pm Not sure where this question might go but does anyone here have an experience with importing a car?
We’re getting to the age when mid-90s stuff is legally allowed to be imported but I’m not sure about getting something like that tagged and insured?
This varies greatly state by state
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:43 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:38 pm

I have a friend of mine who's done it with old Land Rovers - I'll see if I can get him to jump in.
His response was the following:

"Go on Autoscout24 or eBay.co.uk or similar, find a car you like that's 25 years old, or older, then call Jamie Orr @ Orchid Euro and have ~2700 ready. Wait 8 weeks, and... at some point, profit."

What states did your buddy get them registered in?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Petty easy to register in TN. Basically all the things you normally need to title and register, plus your NHTSA declaration.

Actually getting it here, legally, is a task, but not incredibly difficult. Just a lot of forms and processes.

Edit: this seems pretty comprehensive https://wittymelon.wordpress.com/portfo ... o-the-u-s/
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex

4zilch wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:39 pm Petty easy to register in TN. Basically all the things you normally need to title and register, plus your NHTSA declaration.

Actually getting it here, legally, is a task, but not incredibly difficult. Just a lot of forms and processes.

Edit: this seems pretty comprehensive https://wittymelon.wordpress.com/portfo ... o-the-u-s/
Thanks for the link!
max225

I dunno doesn’t do anything for me. Also not a diesel...