First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Would definitely G8 GT over one of those. :iono:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:45 pm Would definitely G8 GT over one of those. :iono:
Aren't they more :waxer: ?

That Marauder is :neat: G8 is likely better :doe:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:01 pm Aren't they more :waxer: ?

That Marauder is :neat: G8 is likely better :doe:
More than $12k, but not that much more.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/

G8 is currently #1 on my list, actually. Still not planning to do anything until spring, although I'd probably pull the trigger on this next one if it's still available after we close on our current house on 12/20.

:aintcare: about it having only the V6 for a commuter. Quite a bit cheaper and will leave money for other more important things. 58" of rear hip room will easily fit all 3 car seats and not be totally horrible to put up with.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Well I got the opportunity to drive a 997.1 C4S over the Christmas. On the plus side it was a targa, which is pretty cool, but unfortunately it was a Tiptronic. :flaccid:

I'll say, of any car I've ever been in, this one had the most perfect driving position. How low you sit in the car and the relationship between seat/pedals/wheel could not have been more perfect for me. The seats themselves were great too as far as comfort, but for being leather they didn't have enough bolstering to really keep me planted. If they were cloth they'd probably have been enough, but there wasn't enough lateral support to keep my shoulders and torso in place.

The targa roof is really :neat:. I think my friend said his dad paid something like $55k for the car, which is one hell of a premium over what a C2S :manuel: from the same year would have cost, but it is cool. It's a full glass roof from rail to rail, with half of it retractable. It was warm enough to drive around with the windows down and the roof open, and I'll say - it was pretty damn nice. No compromises of a vert, but damn near all of the benefits.

Overall I liked but didn't love the thing, but I think that was mostly due to the gearbox. The shifts are slow, the gears are long, and whatever fizz that motor has was sapped by that awful gearbox, plus the extra weight of the 4wd and targa roof. I wouldn't call it slow, but it certainly wasn't fast, either. Gained speed about as quickly as my STi did, but it felt significantly slower and less dramatic with just one gear change up to 80 or so.

As for the sound - and I'm clearly :wrong: here - it didn't do anything for me. It had a Fabspeed exhaust too, and it was just meh. The aircooled cars sound amazing, the GT cars make me :boner:, but the 3.8 just kinda groaned and growled around. It didn't sound the least bit exotic or expensive, just a bunch of grAAAAAHHHH at every throttle position but WOT. At full whack it sounded pretty good, though.

Steering and brakes were Porsche good, no complaints there, but not enough to overcome the powertrain.

A solid 3.5-4/7, but God's gift to the automotive world this was not.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

The old tip trans feels like its from a dump truck. The 997.2 models with the PDK are completely different cars. Quick, crisp shifts and a couple extra cogs keep it well in the powerband. Agree with the driving position, although I think I prefer the 718’s cockpit because you feel like you’re in the center of the car, instead of the huge lump of engine/trans behind you.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:55 pm The old tip trans feels like its from a dump truck. The 997.2 models with the PDK are completely different cars. Quick, crisp shifts and a couple extra cogs keep it well in the powerband. Agree with the driving position, although I think I prefer the 718’s cockpit because you feel like you’re in the center of the car, instead of the huge lump of engine/trans behind you.
It's really bad. My friend's dad has some great cars - a V8 R8 with the gated manual, a GT350, a RWD F-Type R vert, and an RS5...then this. He really wanted the targa, though, and I guess they're pretty hard to come by and worth a significant premium.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:nice: review, thanks for sharing. :dedong: on the automatic trans :sad:

I'd really like to drive a 911 someday. To date, the Cayman is probably the second best driving car I've experienced after the super charged Elise.

Anyone want to do a DFD Atlanta :meat: up and hit up the Porsche Center?
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

D Griff wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:19 am :nice: review, thanks for sharing. :dedong: on the automatic trans :sad:

I'd really like to drive a 911 someday. To date, the Cayman is probably the second best driving car I've experienced after the super charged Elise.

Anyone want to do a DFD Atlanta :meat: up and hit up the Porsche Center?
I did the GT3 vs Turbo experience there. The turbo is a waste of time in comparison. GT3 is life.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Whelp, the plan has consistently been to keep the GTI around until I go on pat leave in presumably early June, but I'm starting to feel like I should make a move before the twins get here. Only having one car that can take the twins somewhere and my wife being unable to drive the other ( because :manuel: ), could be a huge PITA once the girls are born.

My first choice is still probably a G8 (v6 or GT), but I'm starting to come around to the idea of not wanting a low sedan to carry 3 kids around in. I aggravated my disc a couple weeks ago, and dropping my 18 month old down into his car seat has quite literally been a huge pain in my back. It's better now and I don't often have problems, I'm sure I'm just being a :pussy:, but I see the appeal of something that sits higher when hauling crotchfruit.

I present to you option #1 -

option #2 -

The Acura is undoubtedly the easier choice, but all of the E-class talk has piqued my interest in the MB. About a 0% chance I'd actually go for it, but I plan on stopping by to check it out.

We loved our RDX and by all accounts this gen MDX is great, both in terms of driving dynamics for an SUV of its size and reliability. Has the 6 speed, no DI, and more or less no frills outside of the :fancy: SH-AWD setup. I think the GTI should be worth about $14k on trade, so hopefully I'd only be at about $2k OTD to make the move. Might just leave enough room in the budget to get myself a weekender once we get used to the new childcare costs. :yikes:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

coogles wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:48 am Whelp, the plan has consistently been to keep the GTI around until I go on pat leave in presumably early June, but I'm starting to feel like I should make a move before the twins get here. Only having one car that can take the twins somewhere and my wife being unable to drive the other ( because :manuel: ), could be a huge PITA once the girls are born.

My first choice is still probably a G8 (v6 or GT), but I'm starting to come around to the idea of not wanting a low sedan to carry 3 kids around in. I aggravated my disc a couple weeks ago, and dropping my 18 month old down into his car seat has quite literally been a huge pain in my back. It's better now and I don't often have problems, I'm sure I'm just being a :pussy:, but I see the appeal of something that sits higher when hauling crotchfruit.

option #2 -

The Acura is undoubtedly the easier choice, but all of the E-class talk has piqued my interest in the MB. About a 0% chance I'd actually go for it, but I plan on stopping by to check it out.

We loved our RDX and by all accounts this gen MDX is great, both in terms of driving dynamics for an SUV of its size and reliability. Has the 6 speed, no DI, and more or less no frills outside of the :fancy: SH-AWD setup. I think the GTI should be worth about $14k on trade, so hopefully I'd only be at about $2k OTD to make the move. Might just leave enough room in the budget to get myself a weekender once we get used to the new childcare costs. :yikes:
that MDX is essentially the exact car we have down to the wheels. except for colors.

seems nice. I'd say :doit:
Maybe look for ones a little less $$? ours was only 14200 with only about 15k more miles. also black is terrible. look for that gray on tan boi
brain go brrrrrr
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

coogles wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:48 am Whelp, the plan has consistently been to keep the GTI around until I go on pat leave in presumably early June, but I'm starting to feel like I should make a move before the twins get here. Only having one car that can take the twins somewhere and my wife being unable to drive the other ( because :manuel: ), could be a huge PITA once the girls are born.

option #2 -

while Mercedes is nice, Acura's aren't THAT terrible to drive either, so Acura is easily the better choice for the piece of mind. Also if I recall Mercedes has a different CPO warranty that ends at 80k IIRC.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

My Acura 2004 TL is aging like a champion under my moms ownership, add me for one MDX vote.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:49 pm My Acura 2004 TL is aging like a champion under my moms ownership, add me for one MDX vote.
ayy former 2000's Acura drivers :gaydance: :sissyfight:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:54 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:49 pm My Acura 2004 TL is aging like a champion under my moms ownership, add me for one MDX vote.
ayy former 2000's Acura drivers :gaydance: :sissyfight:
Yeah bro, they are amazingly well built cars!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

:popcorn: neither of these choices suck. Owning a Benz could be fun.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:50 pm :popcorn: neither of these choices suck. Owning a Benz could be fun.
Could be, could also be full of :ayfkm: :rage: :wasteful: moments. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but I think the stalk-mounted shift selector alone will :triggered: me enough to :nope: out. So stupid.

I've poked around online and most of the repair horror stories I'm reading are related to the diesel models, but I'm still leery of an out-of-warranty MB.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:04 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:50 pm :popcorn: neither of these choices suck. Owning a Benz could be fun.
Could be, could also be full of :ayfkm: :rage: :wasteful: moments. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but I think the stalk-mounted shift selector alone will :triggered: me enough to :nope: out. So stupid.

I've poked around online and most of the repair horror stories I'm reading are related to the diesel models, but I'm still leery of an out-of-warranty MB.

Depends on if you have a decent Indie around. You should be ok with that year and mileage, but your backstop is not having to take it to the local :dillerman:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Drove a C300 and a C63 cabriolet with the stock mounted gear selectors and its :wtf: at first and then becomes super intuitive.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P

Durango RT
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:22 pm

Drove a C300 and a C63 cabriolet with the stock mounted gear selectors and its :wtf: at first and then becomes super intuitive.
Yeah it's not the end of the world. It's an SUV for crotchfruit. It's OK without Hurst Lightning Rods.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:28 pmDurango RT
Considered, but I'm trying to spend as little as possible, and it's hard to find an R/T with reasonable miles that doesn't look like hell for less than $20k.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:11 pm Depends on if you have a decent Indie around. You should be ok with that year and mileage, but your backstop is not having to take it to the local :dillerman:
We have several, it's really the only reason I'd consider a German make for this kind of thing. There's one that even has a fleet of Jetta loaners for $.30/mile, so whoever is hauling the CF can take the Atlas and the other person can use that. It's :notbad:
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:37 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:28 pmDurango RT
Considered, but I'm trying to spend as little as possible, and it's hard to find an R/T with reasonable miles that doesn't look like hell for less than $20k.
Yeah true.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:40 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:11 pm Depends on if you have a decent Indie around. You should be ok with that year and mileage, but your backstop is not having to take it to the local :dillerman:
We have several, it's really the only reason I'd consider a German make for this kind of thing. There's one that even has a fleet of Jetta loaners for $.30/mile, so whoever is hauling the CF can take the Atlas and the other person can use that. It's :notbad:
Then I would get the MB but only for the reason that the Beak styling on what seems like a decade worth of Acuras makes me want to kill myself. The Acura Beak dude and the Lexus Spindle/Predator design guys should be hung for war crimes against good taste. Just fucked up millions of cars. Bleh.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:43 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:40 pm

Then I would get the MB but only for the reason that the Beak styling on what seems like a decade worth of Acuras makes me want to kill myself. The Acura Beak dude and the Lexus Spindle/Predator design guys should be hung for war crimes against good taste. Just fucked up millions of cars. Bleh.
:howdareu:
brain go brrrrrr