Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:06 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:56 pm

Moab is alright I guess. I dunno. Strange town, very strange. But lots of off roady stuff to do out there. The MTB scene is overblown honestly, it's too fucking hot and there's no shade.
Mostly a bucket list kinda thing. Offroad Mecca kinda deal.
Yeah if you like off roading it's probably awesome
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:55 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:59 pm
Who cares what Doug says, I’m saying :waxer: should get one to dick around in?
I'm really considering it. It's just not the most "adult" choice. Plus, I don't think I want version 0.9 of any car, let alone something that is the first of its type for a manufacturer.
Totally get it, but VAG has been doing electric cars for closer to a decade now. :oops:
I liked everything about it other than Price, Range, Touch screen. In that order.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:30 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:55 pm

I'm really considering it. It's just not the most "adult" choice. Plus, I don't think I want version 0.9 of any car, let alone something that is the first of its type for a manufacturer.
Totally get it, but VAG has been doing electric cars for closer to a decade now. :oops:
I liked everything about it other than Price, Range, Touch screen. In that order.
Those are my main concerns. I know if I got one the next model year would address that stuff, including the touch screen being stupid.

They need to make it have a mode for :whocares: about mileage and just go fast, and a mode for :whocares: about being supercar fast and go 500 miles.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:35 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:30 pm

Those are my main concerns. I know if I got one the next model year would address that stuff, including the touch screen being stupid.

They need to make it have a mode for :whocares: about mileage and just go fast, and a mode for :whocares: about being supercar fast and go 500 miles.
That mode should likely be controlled by the right foot... :yikes:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:56 pm

Moab is alright I guess. I dunno. Strange town, very strange. But lots of off roady stuff to do out there. The MTB scene is overblown honestly, it's too fucking hot and there's no shade.
I'm debating driving my truck out for the Easter Jeep Safari this year. A few dudes I work with want to go too...so we might just tag team driving so it doesn't take too long.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:07 pm

I'm debating driving my truck out for the Easter Jeep Safari this year. A few dudes I work with want to go too...so we might just tag team driving so it doesn't take too long.
That would be :neat: AF. That’s a huge event, and the whorange JT would be a hit.

Take some pics if you do go out doe.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Utah is super awesome, 5/7 would recommend. Never been to Badlands, but the Black Mountains/Mt. Rushmore were pretty cool in SD, not much else was too memorable when I Bang Bussed there.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:38 pm Utah is super awesome, 5/7 would recommend. Never been to Badlands, but the Black Mountains/Mt. Rushmore were pretty cool in SD, not much else was too memorable when I Bang Bussed there.
Yeah all that too. Rushmore was impressive.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:47 pm I wanna go to Idaho and Montana at some point.
:word:
Montana, North Dakota, Idaho, and Wyoming are the one area of 'Murica I haven't seen yet that really want to.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:38 pm Utah is super awesome, 5/7 would recommend. Never been to Badlands, but the Black Mountains/Mt. Rushmore were pretty cool in SD, not much else was too memorable when I Bang Bussed there.
There is some great hiking in the Black Hills.
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:32 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:47 pm I wanna go to Idaho and Montana at some point.
Montana, North Dakota, Idaho, and Wyoming are the one area of 'Murica I haven't seen yet that really want to.

I've technically been to Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, and Montana but we just drove through them so I don't think they count. Likely the same with Arkansas and Indiana too but I don't specifically remember them.

Wyoming is beautiful.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Not that I saw all of it, but I remember thinking 'nothing to see here' when I was passing through ND on the Bang Bus tour. Idaho, Montana, Wyoming are :neat:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I am only missing Alaska, hopefully I can get up there soon.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:15 pm I am only missing Alaska, hopefully I can get up there soon.
It's awesome.... and I only saw the coast.

We're planning on going back in 2022 for a more inland experience including Denali.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:28 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:15 pm I am only missing Alaska, hopefully I can get up there soon.

We're planning on going back in 2022 for a more inland experience including Denali.
:neat:
I want to drive the Dalton highway and dip my feet in Prudhoe Bay.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:28 pm

:nice:

Ive watched a lot of tube vids on the massive park there.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I just saw one of our executives leaving work and he apparently drives a Hyundai H CUV thingy.
:disgust: :wtf:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:16 pm I just saw one of our executives leaving work and he apparently drives a Hyundai H CUV thingy.
That was his bonus check last month
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

So choice

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/05/199 ... owertrain/
The team pulled out the original naturally aspirated 3.2-liter V6 that made just 190 horsepower and 188 pound-feet of torque, and dropped in a turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four from a new Acura RDX. That engine also received a new intake, exhaust, turbo and ECU tune, which brought power up to an estimated 350 horsepower and 340 pound-feet of torque, similar to the Graham Rahal Performance RDX. Not only that, but the old-school four-wheel-drive system and live rear axle were dropped in favor of the RDX's indpendent suspension and torque vectoring "Super Handling All-Wheel Drive." "Dropped in" is a mischaracterization, though, as Acura had to weld new subframes front and rear to the existing frame to get the transverse engine and modern suspension to fit.

Acura was careful to keep the SLX looking as close to the original as possible. On the outside, Acura repainted the SLX in a modern red paint available on the RDX, but retained the champagne lower moldings. The stock wheels were replaced with 17-inch Fifteen52 wheels, but they have a very similar design and finish to the original wheels. A hard-shell spare tire cover was added, and a simple "SH-AWD" badge on the back is the only hint at what's under the body. The interior was restored at the company's L.A. design studio, where the upholstery was redone in a gray "gathered" leather like you would have seen when it was new. A bit of gray wood trim updates the interior slightly. The RDX's push-button starter and shifter buttons have been added to the center console, shift paddles behind the original steering wheel, and an aftermarket instrument cluster mounted to the steering column.
Johnny_P

Need
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

:truk: :truk: :truk:
wap

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:14 pm

Not that I saw all of it, but I remember thinking 'nothing to see here' when I was passing through ND on the Bang Bus tour. Idaho, Montana, Wyoming are :neat:
:impressive:
Besides the ones I mentioned above, I'm still missing Delaware, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, AK, and HI.
wap

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:16 pm I just saw one of our executives leaving work and he apparently drives a Hyundai H CUV thingy.
Future Johnny_W mobile?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

wap wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:06 pm
Future Johnny_W mobile?
Nah, STI for Lyfe.

And the car :hue:
max225

Anyone interested in hearing my thoughts about the glc300 ? Or should I not waste my time.... spending major time in one