:plac: finds v2.0: Moar gold on the crangslist

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:54 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:52 pm

You use Waze?

Google owns that too.
google maps also started noting for where the police are, the cameras and so on.
Google maps also tracks/caches your location and how long you've been somewhere for eternity... be careful.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:58 pm

google maps also started noting for where the police are, the cameras and so on.
Google maps also tracks/caches your location and how long you've been somewhere for eternity... be careful.
:dat: I am aware of, I'm just saying that they started gaining features that you get on Waze.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

One of the five tech giants she tried to do without.

https://gizmodo.com/i-cut-google-out-of ... 1830565500
“Your smart home pings Google at the same time every hour in order to determine whether or not it’s connected to the internet,” Dhruv tells me. “Which is funny to me because these devices’ engineers decided to determine connectivity to the entire internet based on the uptime of a single company. It’s a good metaphor for how far the internet has strayed from its original promise to decentralize control.”

In some cases, the Google block means apps won’t work at all, like Lyft and Uber, or Spotify, whose music is hosted in Google Cloud. The more frequent effect of the Google block though is that the internet itself slows down dramatically for me.

Most of the websites I visit have frustratingly long load times because so many of them rely on resources from Google and get confused when my computer won’t let them talk to the company’s servers. On Airbnb, photos won’t load. New York Times articles won’t appear until the site has tried (and failed) to load Google Analytics, Google Pay, Google News, Google ads, and a Doubleclick tracker.
Pretty crazy how connected Google is to every damn thing on the internet.
And one day, blocking Google could be even harder. With Sidewalk Labs, a product from the company to “smarten up” urban areas, Google’s trackers will extend into the real world, tracking not just how we move around the web but how we move around our cities. That would lead to tracking that Dhruv and I might not be able to stop.
:doomed:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

It's too bad that all of Apple's software is pretty "meh" in comparison.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:47 pm

I dunno man. That is a debate as old as whether Royal Purple or Amsoil is the best oil... You will get 1000 different answers. I have tried both sides and I am sticking with the evil fruit. My friend is a die hard Droid fanatic. My preference is clear.. but the battle lines are as strong as dems vs reps... Everyone is :wrong: no matter what.
max225

coogles wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:19 pm One of the five tech giants she tried to do without.

https://gizmodo.com/i-cut-google-out-of ... 1830565500
“Your smart home pings Google at the same time every hour in order to determine whether or not it’s connected to the internet,” Dhruv tells me. “Which is funny to me because these devices’ engineers decided to determine connectivity to the entire internet based on the uptime of a single company. It’s a good metaphor for how far the internet has strayed from its original promise to decentralize control.”

In some cases, the Google block means apps won’t work at all, like Lyft and Uber, or Spotify, whose music is hosted in Google Cloud. The more frequent effect of the Google block though is that the internet itself slows down dramatically for me.

Most of the websites I visit have frustratingly long load times because so many of them rely on resources from Google and get confused when my computer won’t let them talk to the company’s servers. On Airbnb, photos won’t load. New York Times articles won’t appear until the site has tried (and failed) to load Google Analytics, Google Pay, Google News, Google ads, and a Doubleclick tracker.
Pretty crazy how connected Google is to every damn thing on the internet.
And one day, blocking Google could be even harder. With Sidewalk Labs, a product from the company to “smarten up” urban areas, Google’s trackers will extend into the real world, tracking not just how we move around the web but how we move around our cities. That would lead to tracking that Dhruv and I might not be able to stop.
:doomed:
We're far beyond any 1984 nightmare at this point...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:01 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:47 pm

I dunno man. That is a debate as old as whether Royal Purple or Amsoil is the best oil... You will get 1000 different answers. I have tried both sides and I am sticking with the evil fruit. My friend is a die hard Droid fanatic. My preference is clear.. but the battle lines are as strong as dems vs reps... Everyone is :wrong: no matter what.
I actually have an iPhone and it's definitely nice... but myself and everyone else I know with an iPhone uses Google Maps, Mail, Calendar, Drive, etc. as it's always seemed better than the Apple equivalents. Maybe I should give them another try as the slight privacy advantage is definitely preferable. I haven't reevaluated any of them in a few years.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:20 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:01 pm

I actually have an iPhone and it's definitely nice... but myself and everyone else I know with an iPhone uses Google Maps, Mail, Calendar, Drive, etc. as it's always seemed better than the Apple equivalents. Maybe I should give them another try as the slight privacy advantage is definitely preferable. I haven't reevaluated any of them in a few years.
I am unfortunately tied to the google suite for work. But my google usage is literally purely for work purposes. We don't even have Office.... all G shit. Not saying they are bad products but... I don't use them for personal things on purpose, and it really isn't detrimental to my quality of life.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:22 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:20 pm

I am unfortunately tied to the google suite for work. But my google usage is literally purely for work purposes. We don't even have Office.... all G shit. Not saying they are bad products but... I don't use them for personal things on purpose, and it really isn't detrimental to my quality of life.
Huh, I didn't realize large corps like that rocked the Google shit. We are all Microshit and a much smaller corp.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:24 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:22 pm

Huh, I didn't realize large corps like that rocked the Google shit. We are all Microshit and a much smaller corp.
Yep. Email/Gdoc/calendar are all pure google. I have never worked in a corp that was full on google.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:03 pm
wap wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:44 pm

Dat tii... :boner:
It's got just the right amount of patina.

Love it.
It's fantastic.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:43 pm My fav color combo.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-honda-s2000-32/

Wonder what this will go for.

Pricing of S2000s seem to be all over the place.
You see the suspiciously cheap one for 9k that’s probably even nastier IRL than the photos suggest, and then you have the nice but not mint ones that are 18k or more.

I love the way they look but would a low double digit priced one even be worth looking at?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:03 pm
wap wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:44 pm

Dat tii... :boner:
It's got just the right amount of patina.

Love it.
They also make great wood shelves
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Swedish Chef wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:28 pm

You see the suspiciously cheap one for 9k that’s probably even nastier IRL than the photos suggest, and then you have the nice but not mint ones that are 18k or more.

I love the way they look but would a low double digit priced one even be worth looking at?
Tough call for sure.

When they were new I was tempted to buy one, but the price to me was high for a Honda at that time at just north of $30k.

Now everyone has decided that 15 years later they are worth quite a bit.

If that blue one had a black interior I'd be tempted to watch it and possibly bid. Pretty sure it will go over the $15k I think it is worth though.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

ap1 seem to hit the $10k to 15k depending on color/condition.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

S2000 prices are definitely creeping, but having driven a couple I can understand why.

The clean, really low mileage examples are in the mid 20's or more. Solid drivers with 40-80k can still be worth high teens if well maintained. I'd love to have one in the garage, personally.

There's a local guy with two insanely clean examples and I want them both. :lolol:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

:jimp: :megusta:

so sexy. glad to see the detailed builds bringing money still. The market started to cool off.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:01 pm I love a proper build. Those seats, man. :boner:
The whole damn thing. :drool:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:44 pm S2000 prices are definitely creeping, but having driven a couple I can understand why.

The clean, really low mileage examples are in the mid 20's or more. Solid drivers with 40-80k can still be worth high teens if well maintained. I'd love to have one in the garage, personally.

There's a local guy with two insanely clean examples and I want them both. :lolol:

Yep, they are super :neat: cars and nothing like that will ever happen again. I tried to trade a guy my :poorvette: for one and we were really close, but :iono: now... :poorvette: can go on track and has powah. S2000 is more fun in handling/shifting departments.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:19 pm Yep, they are super :neat: cars and nothing like that will ever happen again. I tried to trade a guy my :poorvette: for one and we were really close, but :iono: now... :poorvette: can go on track and has powah. S2000 is more fun in handling/shifting departments.
I like the slow car fast thing. With the crazy short gearing and frantic motor, it feels like you're going a hell of a lot faster than you are. It's easy to have fun south of 70mph, which given my desire to avoid losing my license or dying, I really appreciate. Top down, motor screaming, slamming gears, it's the only car I've ever gotten out of with my hands actually shaking a bit from fun/adrenaline. Even the ~400whp C5 didn't do that for me.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:44 pm S2000 prices are definitely creeping, but having driven a couple I can understand why.

Suzuka Bloo with hard top and bloo interior :homerdrool:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

MrH42 on here said he might be willing to meet us for the dragon etc in the spring if we end up going. He has an AP1 we could drive.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:24 pm

MrH42 on here said he might be willing to meet us for the dragon etc in the spring if we end up going. He has an AP1 we could drive.
Man... I'd love to dirve an S2K on TOTD... I've only driven them around Charlotte, never had the pleasure of really going :plaid: