Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:16 am
wap wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:57 pm

Thing is, she totally :aintcare: about powah or performance or anything like that. She's perfectly happy that her new car has better pickup than her old car. Period. The other day I was trying to explain steering feel vs numb electric steering and she was like :lolwut: :whocares: . That's why a nice, safe, adequately powered H :toaster: is perfect for her.

Incidentally, we also split everything. Both of us are on both car titles. Her name first on the H, and my name first on the :turboyaris: . One joint checking account, savings accounts, etc. And no, no prenup. It worked fine when she was a working lawyer making bank and it works fine when I'm now making more than her. We got lucky that we're both closely aligned on our philosophies regarding financial matters, so it works for US.

But you're right, we're :wrong: , obviously. :lol:
Late to the party here.
There's basically nothing at all wrong with the Sonata. Excellent infotainment, easy to drive, handles and rides well, power is good at 0-60 in like 8 flat which makes merging and passing easy yet still gets 35 highway on donkey piss and an NA motor means it's always going to perform exactly the same. Electric steering is appropriate, far less to break and maintain and provides a fuel economy benefit, and really nobody cares about steering feel in a derpmobile anyways.

H/K are killing it in the sedan market since all the domestics gave up, and the Japanese have priced themselves higher.
:dat:
Took the day off work today and we drove to Wisconsin to an outlet mall to do some Christmas shopping. Took her car and I drove, so finally got some decent seat time. First, the Smart Cruise Control worked awesome. There are 4 levels of distance to choose from, plus, and this is what sold it for me, there are 3 levels of responsiveness it can be set to which alters how quickly it accelerates when you change lanes to pass a slower :derp: . At the middle setting it accelerated immediately once the slow car is not directly in front of you, so when you're half way into the new lane you're already gaining on the slow car. Totally sold on it. Second, though numb, the steering is good, the car tracks true, and it does not wander, which her Saturn sometimes did ever since new. It's also quiet and the MFD was intuitive and filled with :neat: things to set. The one-tap to pass turn signal can be set to 3, 5, or 7 blinks. You need a vagcom to do that to a VW. The dual memory seat adjustments are fantastic because she's shorter than me and doesn't know how to properly set the side view mirrors. Now, just hit setting 1 for her or 2 for me and the seat and mirrors change for each driver. Heated steering wheel will blister your fingers, and the ass roasters/chillers are :megusta: . Fantastic LED headlights that bend into curves. 18.5 gallon gas tank. Got 34 mpg on the highway on 87. Power and pickup are definitely good enough. HU is responsive and comprehensive. Dual zone CC. Full leather. We paid $23k for this. Show me a better :derp: mobile for the price with a comparable warranty.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

wap wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:41 pm

Late to the party here.
There's basically nothing at all wrong with the Sonata. Excellent infotainment, easy to drive, handles and rides well, power is good at 0-60 in like 8 flat which makes merging and passing easy yet still gets 35 highway on donkey piss and an NA motor means it's always going to perform exactly the same. Electric steering is appropriate, far less to break and maintain and provides a fuel economy benefit, and really nobody cares about steering feel in a derpmobile anyways.

H/K are killing it in the sedan market since all the domestics gave up, and the Japanese have priced themselves higher.
Took the day off work today and we drove to Wisconsin to an outlet mall to do some Christmas shopping. Took her car and I drove, so finally got some decent seat time. First, the Smart Cruise Control worked awesome. There are 4 levels of distance to choose from, plus, and this is what sold it for me, there are 3 levels of responsiveness it can be set to which alters how quickly it accelerates when you change lanes to pass a slower :derp: . At the middle setting it accelerated immediately once the slow car is not directly in front of you, so when you're half way into the new lane you're already gaining on the slow car. Totally sold on it. Second, though numb, the steering is good, the car tracks true, and it does not wander, which her Saturn sometimes did ever since new. It's also quiet and the MFD was intuitive and filled with :neat: things to set. The one-tap to pass turn signal can be set to 3, 5, or 7 blinks. You need a vagcom to do that to a VW. The dual memory seat adjustments are fantastic because she's shorter than me and doesn't know how to properly set the side view mirrors. Now, just hit setting 1 for her or 2 for me and the seat and mirrors change for each driver. Heated steering wheel will blister your fingers, and the ass roasters/chillers are :megusta: . Fantastic LED headlights that bend into curves. 18.5 gallon gas tank. Got 34 mpg on the highway on 87. Power and pickup are definitely good enough. HU is responsive and comprehensive. Dual zone CC. Full leather. We paid $23k for this. Show me a better :derp: mobile for the price with a comparable warranty.
For a woman that’s it ...
for myself I’d civic sport ...
or mini ... with no warranty :thisisfine:
max225

Also where the fk is everyone ? Post thanksgiving nothing up in here
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Late to the party here.

Yep 100% agreed my man. Y'all made a good choice. I'm seeing an absolute ASSLOAD of brand new H/K cars around me. All 2020's. There's a reason for that. They don't suck.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:54 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:45 pm Also where the fk is everyone ? Post thanksgiving nothing up in here
Still trippin’ on tryptophan.
:wat:

Nm googled it . :lol:
wap

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:44 pm

For a woman that’s it ...
for myself I’d civic sport ...
or mini ... with no warranty :thisisfine:
Yup. It's not an enthusiast car, but it doesn't try to be. It's just an honest, solid :toaster: with a :mindblown: amount of features and active safety tech (which is really needed for :tits: and :derp: s these days imo) for the price that'll give good service for a decade.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:46 pm

Yep 100% agreed my man. Y'all made a good choice. I'm seeing an absolute ASSLOAD of brand new H/K cars around me. All 2020's. There's a reason for that. They don't suck.
:word:
They're really common here, too. Elantras mostly, then Tucsons, Sonatas, Santa Fe's, then Accents. Don't really see too many Accents.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:45 pm Also where the fk is everyone ? Post thanksgiving nothing up in here
It's :sad: :foreveralone:

Back to :jeep: talk. My buddy who was with me at the auto show and co- :mindblown: with how epic the JL is test drove a poverty-spec two door the other day. He was hoping to not like it enough to buy one and came away saying it's better than older :jeep: but still drives like a :jeep: i.e. wallows a ton, epic wind swaying, not great on the highway, etc. He did mention the shifter/clutch were really easy and :nice: . I still want to drive one of these things.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:28 am

Back to :jeep: talk. My buddy who was with me at the auto show and co- :mindblown: with how epic the JL is test drove a poverty-spec two door the other day. He was hoping to not like it enough to buy one and came away saying it's better than older :jeep: but still drives like a :jeep: i.e. wallows a ton, epic wind swaying, not great on the highway, etc. He did mention the shifter/clutch were really easy and :nice: . I still want to drive one of these things.
His assessment is about right. Still a Jeep. There’s less side to side shimmy when going over Baghdad roads and steering inputs are a bit more immediate but it’s still a Jeep. Almost everything on the market will be quieter, handle better, deal with road imperfections better, and track straighter.

I still like the JL. It feels scrappy. In a good way.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

The longer the wheelbase, the better it gets. My JT is super easy to drive long distances on the highway. There's certainly a degradation when going to the 4-door, and the 2-door is pretty rough for distance. I drove my dad's for a few hours on the highway, and it's certainly more jittery. For as great as it is overall, you can't overcome physics.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Sounds like it mirrors what we all have been saying also :wrong:

Are you interested in one ?
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:53 am

His assessment is about right. Still a Jeep. There’s less side to side shimmy when going over Baghdad roads and steering inputs are a bit more immediate but it’s still a Jeep. Almost everything on the market will be quieter, handle better, deal with road imperfections better, and track straighter.

:dat: with the exception of road imperfections comment. The Jeep is excellent at that. And the tires and sidewalls are better up to the task than any vehicle I can think of.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:34 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:53 am

:dat: with the exception of road imperfections comment. The Jeep is excellent at that. And the tires and sidewalls are better up to the task than any vehicle I can think of.
:iono: they wobble a lot when you hit something. You get tossed around. Just my :wrong: lack of experience driving 2 of them for a total of 4 weeks.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:06 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:34 am

:iono: they wobble a lot when you hit something. You get tossed around. Just my :wrong: lack of experience driving 2 of them for a total of 4 weeks.
Yes they do but what happens to other cars ? Shit goes out of alignment, tires pop, wheels break. That doesn’t happen on a Jeep. You can’t even align it
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:10 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:06 pm

Yes they do but what happens to other cars ? Shit goes out of alignment, tires pop, wheels break. That doesn’t happen on a Jeep. You can’t even align it
After 2 weeks of driving and being carted around in a JLU, the uber ride home from the airport in a Rav4 piloted by Muhammad was downright luxurious with how quiet and smooth it was. And I don't exactly see them littered on the sides of the highway missing control arms and wheels.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:15 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:10 pm

After 2 weeks of driving and being carted around in a JLU, the uber ride home from the airport in a Rav4 piloted by Muhammad was downright luxurious with how quiet and smooth it was. And I don't exactly see them littered on the sides of the highway missing control arms and wheels.
I didn’t say quiet and smooth .... Jeep is neither. But to say that it sucks over bad pavement I disagree with . I suppose we have different definitions for this.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:38 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:29 am
The longer the wheelbase, the better it gets. My JT is super easy to drive long distances on the highway. There's certainly a degradation when going to the 4-door, and the 2-door is pretty rough for distance. I drove my dad's for a few hours on the highway, and it's certainly more jittery. For as great as it is overall, you can't overcome physics.
I found my JKU rode great - but I also did the Rubicon Recon shocks and springs.

https://www.vroom.com/inventory/jeep-wr ... G5GL244843

Go get it!
:notbad:
That seems like a thin margin from what they paid you to what they’re selling it for.
max225

32k for a 4 year old jeep with nearly 50k miles...
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:58 pm 32k for a 4 year old jeep with nearly 50k miles...
Not even top trim either.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:32 am

Sounds like it mirrors what we all have been saying also :wrong:

Are you interested in one ?
Not really... I love them and always come back to them, but it doesn't really make a ton of sense. It would be cool to own one someday.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I found my JKU rode great - but I also did the Rubicon Recon shocks and springs.

Go get it!
So they gave you $29K, had to pay for delivery on two ends, costs of inventorying the vehicle for multiple months... :wtf: how is this a business model? That margin in nonexistent/shit.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:14 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:09 pm

So they gave you $29K, had to pay for delivery on two ends, costs of inventorying the vehicle for multiple months... :wtf: how is this a business model? That margin in nonexistent/shit.
Don't know, don't care.

All I care about is that I took advantage of it and seemingly had a great experience.

What I've heard is that Vroom is willing to buy deep to gain market share for now. Interesting to see where it goes.
Oh, the usual "hemorrhage money now for a bright future" Tesla/Uber strategy? :popcorn:

Great for you and your :dill: :doe:
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:19 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:14 pm

Don't know, don't care.

All I care about is that I took advantage of it and seemingly had a great experience.

What I've heard is that Vroom is willing to buy deep to gain market share for now. Interesting to see where it goes.
Oh, the usual "hemorrhage money now for a bright future" Tesla/Uber strategy? :popcorn:

Great for you and your :dill: :doe:
I thought they charged Zilldog for the derivery ?

You should see the next level fuckery that is currently happening from a financial perspective... Uber is tied in with WeWork and are renting office spaces from them. It's one money losing business tied into another that is losing money. The actual operating costs of these companies is just completely insane...

It will collapse... just a matter of time, and I am shocked it has taken this long.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Go get it!
Yea, 4-door wheelbase is where it's at.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:53 pm

Go get it!
Yea, 4-door wheelbase is where it's at.
:wrong: it rides worse than anything else on the market and tips over when going through a pothole! How are you posting from the afterlife.