Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:23 pm
Johnny_P wrote:I'm serious Troy. That's an invite. Same goes for anyone on here. You'd be welcome to stay at my house and cuddle my kitty and get licked to death by my vicious pit bull, rent a bike at a local shop, and we'd go shred the Wiss. And then stop at a brewery on the way back and get drunk. :sissyfight:
Sounds good, maybe in June when the glacier retreats.

I used to love riding trails on snowmobiles and have sorta been searching for that experience again (but in something more affordable/accessible) for the past 15 years. Low-intensity mountain/dirt/gravel biking is probably the closest I can get if I can find people to ride with.

I also think that one of the :fancy: new bikes with an electric motor could be even better. Still light and legal to ride wherever, but more speed and less exhausting.
I don't hate e-bikes. I feel they needlessly destroy trails. But, to ride? They're pretty fun.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:23 pm
Johnny_P wrote:I'm serious Troy. That's an invite. Same goes for anyone on here. You'd be welcome to stay at my house and cuddle my kitty and get licked to death by my vicious pit bull, rent a bike at a local shop, and we'd go shred the Wiss. And then stop at a brewery on the way back and get drunk. :sissyfight:
Sounds good, maybe in June when the glacier retreats.

I used to love riding trails on snowmobiles and have sorta been searching for that experience again (but in something more affordable/accessible) for the past 15 years. Low-intensity mountain/dirt/gravel biking is probably the closest I can get if I can find people to ride with.

I also think that one of the :fancy: new bikes with an electric motor could be even better. Still light and legal to ride wherever, but more speed and less exhausting.
Yeah fast, flowing trails are awesome. I really get no enjoyment out of super technical stuff, but there’s something for everyone. If you’re ever back in Charlotte, there’s some good stuff around here too. It’sa very accessible hobby unlike :stig:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:22 pm IMO hitch mount is super ideal. Doesn't cut MPGs, easy to remove when not needed, super easy to load heavy mountain bikes on (seriously, every MTB out there is 30 lbs anymore). If you have a place to store it, and aren't worried about getting rear-ended, go for it.

I'm about 90% convinced a rat faced hybrid Rav4 is what I should get. Carries bikes and dogs easily, nobody cares about it, good MPG and low running costs. I'm so upset with everything lately, man. A part of me sort of thinks I should go full retard on the STI and keep it, get a roof rack, get the fancy coilovers, get a tune, etc, and turn it into an awesome brap machine. A part of me thinks I should just give up on everything I like and accept a life of beige blandness because it's impossible to have anything nice.
I really think you could make the STi what you want it to be for not that much money.

Screw roof bars, especially since yours is a 2016 and doesn't have the built in mounts in the rain channel. Get one of these - https://torkliftcentral.com/2015-2017-s ... tch-invisi

Throw on some Fortune Autos (make sure to get the Swift springs in 6k - 7k front and rear), do an E-tune from Bren or someone similar to fix your throttle sensitivity complaints, and voila! Bike hauler, more tolerable ride, and a fix for the :fullretard: throttle response. Seems you still enjoy so much about it, and it'd be way less work and less of financial hit to fix the negatives with the STi than to make a Rav interesting to drive when you do get to :stig:.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:26 pm I don't hate e-bikes. I feel they needlessly destroy trails. But, to ride? They're pretty fun.
My one problem with eBikes are people who are otherwise fit enough to actually ride, using them like electric dirtbikes and shredding up trail systems.

They should be for people who have physical disabilities/too old/etc to hit the trail.

It's a slippery slope that could end up with revoked access for mountain bikers to some trail systems.
I've no experience with them, but wouldn't I still be slower than you guys even if I had a motor - and therefore do less damage to the trails than you? (especially since I'll likely only ever do a fraction of the total miles that y'all ride...)

:iono: :wrong: :whocares:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:32 pm I'm ready to blow my brains out with bike stuff. I'm so overwhelmed with life that I'm literally incapable of doing things like checking out bikes, talking to salespeople about what's in stock and pricing, etc. Full on overload. Too much stuff out there on the market, and prices are so high and bikes are so darn hard to sell used that it's a losing proposition. You should be able to get a ripper of a bike for $3k brand new. The Pivot 5.5 was great, but $6k for an outdated drivetrain isn't going to fly. Especially when you consider I used my MTB about 10 times last year, total. 95% of my riding was on my Macho Man.
I feel you there. Even though I have a nice MTB I've still at times found myself watching reviews and checking out new bike specs, which gets dangerous.

I have few complaints about the Trance, but one thing I have noticed after riding it more is that at times it feels too short, especially after being on my old 2008 26er. When I'm going up a decent grade and need to get my weight in front of the crank, I end up too far over the bars and have nearly gone over them a couple times while climbing if I hit a root or rock or something. 99% user error I'm sure, but then you read about how seat tube angles have gotten steeper to put the rider in a better pedaling position to climb while seated, and that bikes have gotten longer for more stability and more room in the bike while climbing out of the saddle and suddenly I think "shit, that sounds like what I want." I swear my old 26er has another 1.5" between the seat post and the head tube, PLUS a longer stem, and it feels totally comfortable. I get that the 2017+ Trance was Giant's first take a "modern" geometry bike, but it still seems way behind.

But to your point, I paid $3,000 for a $5,200 bike and would now be lucky to get $2,000 for it. Considering how little I ride, it's probably cost me $100/ride or more, which is insane, and the :math: is even more :fullretard: if we're talking a new bike in the same price range.

But yeah, I think with the trails around here one of the newer short travel 120mm 29ers would be a better choice than a 140mm 27.5, but at this point I'm not doing jack shit.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:33 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:32 pm I'm ready to blow my brains out with bike stuff. I'm so overwhelmed with life that I'm literally incapable of doing things like checking out bikes, talking to salespeople about what's in stock and pricing, etc. Full on overload. Too much stuff out there on the market, and prices are so high and bikes are so darn hard to sell used that it's a losing proposition. You should be able to get a ripper of a bike for $3k brand new. The Pivot 5.5 was great, but $6k for an outdated drivetrain isn't going to fly. Especially when you consider I used my MTB about 10 times last year, total. 95% of my riding was on my Macho Man.
I feel you there. Even though I have a nice MTB I've still at times found myself watching reviews and checking out new bike specs, which gets dangerous.

I have few complaints about the Trance, but one thing I have noticed after riding it more is that at times it feels too short, especially after being on my old 2008 26er. When I'm going up a decent grade and need to get my weight in front of the crank, I end up too far over the bars and have nearly gone over them a couple times while climbing if I hit a root or rock or something. 99% user error I'm sure, but then you read about how seat tube angles have gotten steeper to put the rider in a better pedaling position to climb while seated, and that bikes have gotten longer for more stability and more room in the bike while climbing out of the saddle and suddenly I think "shit, that sounds like what I want." I swear my old 26er has another 1.5" between the seat post and the head tube, PLUS a longer stem, and it feels totally comfortable. I get that the 2017+ Trance was Giant's first take a "modern" geometry bike, but it still seems way behind.

But to your point, I paid $3,000 for a $5,200 bike and would now be lucky to get $2,000 for it. Considering how little I ride, it's probably cost me $100/ride or more, which is insane, and the :math: is even more :fullretard: if we're talking a new bike in the same price range.

But yeah, I think with the trails around here one of the newer short travel 120mm 29ers would be a better choice than a 140mm 27.5, but at this point I'm not doing jack shit.
At $100 a ride, that's "demo a brand new $8k bike every time from the LBS" territory.

I still think $3k should get you a complete trail ripper brand new. That's the price range I'd feel comfortable purchasing in. I don't ride mountain enough to justify anything more.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:19 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:22 pm IMO hitch mount is super ideal. Doesn't cut MPGs, easy to remove when not needed, super easy to load heavy mountain bikes on (seriously, every MTB out there is 30 lbs anymore). If you have a place to store it, and aren't worried about getting rear-ended, go for it.

I'm about 90% convinced a rat faced hybrid Rav4 is what I should get. Carries bikes and dogs easily, nobody cares about it, good MPG and low running costs. I'm so upset with everything lately, man. A part of me sort of thinks I should go full retard on the STI and keep it, get a roof rack, get the fancy coilovers, get a tune, etc, and turn it into an awesome brap machine. A part of me thinks I should just give up on everything I like and accept a life of beige blandness because it's impossible to have anything nice.
I really think you could make the STi what you want it to be for not that much money.

Screw roof bars, especially since yours is a 2016 and doesn't have the built in mounts in the rain channel. Get one of these - https://torkliftcentral.com/2015-2017-s ... tch-invisi

Throw on some Fortune Autos (make sure to get the Swift springs in 6k - 7k front and rear), do an E-tune from Bren or someone similar to fix your throttle sensitivity complaints, and voila! Bike hauler, more tolerable ride, and a fix for the :fullretard: throttle response. Seems you still enjoy so much about it, and it'd be way less work and less of financial hit to fix the negatives with the STi than to make a Rav interesting to drive when you do get to :stig:.
Early 2017, so still no roof bar mounts. That hitch is interesting. I guess I could get a 1up and just store it in the trunk next to the jumper cables. Maybe mount a D-hook and ratchet strap it down in the trunk so it doesn't clunk around.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:48 am At $100 a ride, that's "demo a brand new $8k bike every time from the LBS" territory.

I still think $3k should get you a complete trail ripper brand new. That's the price range I'd feel comfortable purchasing in. I don't ride mountain enough to justify anything more.
No joke. No LBS here in town has demo fleets, but point taken.

I should have just bought a trail-oriented hardtail like a Honzo or a Nukeproof Scout. Would be enough to handle trail duties for me and still be a reasonable option for :derp: ing around the city.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:50 am Early 2017, so still no roof bar mounts. That hitch is interesting. I guess I could get a 1up and just store it in the trunk next to the jumper cables. Maybe mount a D-hook and ratchet strap it down in the trunk so it doesn't clunk around.
I've seen a couple WRXs with those and it's super cool seeing the hitch mount going through the bumper. Nice that you can put the rear fog light cover back in and the whole setup totally disappears.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:29 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:50 am

Early 2017, so still no roof bar mounts. That hitch is interesting. I guess I could get a 1up and just store it in the trunk next to the jumper cables. Maybe mount a D-hook and ratchet strap it down in the trunk so it doesn't clunk around.
You should get Cavallos to mount the OEM rack mounts in the roof while they have it.
Not convinced I should keep it, honestly.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:33 am

I wish I could be about cars like I am about my mountain bike. I ride every week and certainly notice that the Whorbea isn't the world's greatest for me on every ride, but I've never ridden much else that's good and just :aintcare: as I'm still having fun. In cars, I'm always :plac: Curious.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:32 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:29 am

You should get Cavallos to mount the OEM rack mounts in the roof while they have it.
Not convinced I should keep it, honestly.
:doit:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:09 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:32 pm

I wish I could be about cars like I am about my mountain bike. I ride every week and certainly notice that the Whorbea isn't the world's greatest for me on every ride, but I've never ridden much else that's good and just :aintcare: as I'm still having fun. In cars, I'm always :plac: Curious.
I'm pretty anti-plac with my bikes. The Orbea was bought because I simply outgrew the abilities of the Niner (still kinda have it, gave it to a friend to use and ride with me), and the Sacklist was built to fill a hole in my lineup. I didn't have a proper gravel bike.

I simply maintain, clean, and ride them all. Bikes have more staying power than cars, simply because they're used more occasionally for most people, they're easily maintained, and unless you're buying something that's cutting edge with proprietary standards, they don't become obsolete. It's more about the rider than it is the bike, really.
Yeah. I’m super anti plac with mine. I love my bikes. Trek is 10. AC is new but replaced an 8 year old Cervelo.
Johnny_P

Well the Lazer helmet apparently isn't in stock. And the POC Omne they don't have in blue. :sad: oh well. That Z1 MIPS was too good of a deal to be true. $100 ish for that, it's like a $250 helmet.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Damn, I get a real job and miss all the bike chat.

$5000 is the new $3000 bike the same way that a $40k Rav is the new $30k Rav.

I managed to buy zero bike stuff. I need a set of brakes for wifey's Intrigue, a DPX2 and a 150mm air sleeve for the Occam, and a hydration pack.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:54 pm Damn, I get a real job and miss all the bike chat.

I managed to buy zero bike stuff. I need a set of brakes for wifey's Intrigue, a DPX2 and a 150mm air sleeve for the Occam, and a hydration pack.
Fuuuuck I just gave my hydro pack away dude. Balls.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:08 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:54 pm Damn, I get a real job and miss all the bike chat.

Xmas gift from the wife.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:13 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:08 pm

Xmas gift from the wife.
Ah nice. I kind of want one of those :gay: hip packs. Fannie packs. That hold a water bottle and some treats.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Went out for a 10 mile ride this morning at US National Whitewater Center. It was fun but pretty darn chilly at 36ish degrees, was cracking ice riding over puddles. I need some warmer gloves to ride in this weather. Any tips on apparel for cold rides? I don't want to give up riding all winter and it stays pretty dry/sunny here for the most part.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:26 pm Went out for a 10 mile ride this morning at US National Whitewater Center. It was fun but pretty darn chilly at 36ish degrees, was cracking ice riding over puddles. I need some warmer gloves to ride in this weather. Any tips on apparel for cold rides? I don't want to give up riding all winter and it stays pretty dry/sunny here for the most part.
Gloves, just use whatever you want. If it gets really stupid cold I use ski gloves. Thermal tights are good. Upper body, get warmer through layers, its easier to manage heat that way. I have a vest that's good to like 35 ish. And a jacket that's good to around 15. Below 35 you should have over boots on your shoes, or winter boots, or over boot cover things plus toe warmers which is what I do.

35 for me is:
Thermal long sleeve jersey
Long sleeve base layer
Vest
Neck gaiter
Long tights
Wool socks
Long finger gloves

Anything lower, I add over boots.

Around 30 I'd do base layer or short sleeve jersey plus my jacket, ski gloves

Lower than that just bundle the f up, lol.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:36 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:26 pm Went out for a 10 mile ride this morning at US National Whitewater Center. It was fun but pretty darn chilly at 36ish degrees, was cracking ice riding over puddles. I need some warmer gloves to ride in this weather. Any tips on apparel for cold rides? I don't want to give up riding all winter and it stays pretty dry/sunny here for the most part.
Gloves, just use whatever you want. If it gets really stupid cold I use ski gloves. Thermal tights are good. Upper body, get warmer through layers, its easier to manage heat that way. I have a vest that's good to like 35 ish. And a jacket that's good to around 15. Below 35 you should have over boots on your shoes, or winter boots, or over boot cover things plus toe warmers which is what I do.

35 for me is:
Long sleeve base layer
Vest
Neck gaiter
Long tights
Wool socks
Long finger gloves

I was in shorts and Nike running shoes and mostly just my hands/nose/face were cold. I was in regular biking gloves, I'll go for the "skiing"/winter gloves next time. I got some leggings from Allison last year but couldn't find them, may pick up some tights :doe: .

Anything for face? I guess that's what a gaiter is, maybe something like this? https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/dipse ... lsrc=aw.ds
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:42 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:36 pm

35 for me is:
Long sleeve base layer
Vest
Neck gaiter
Long tights
Wool socks
Long finger gloves

I was in shorts and Nike running shoes and mostly just my hands/nose/face were cold. I was in regular biking gloves, I'll go for the "skiing"/winter gloves next time. I got some leggings from Allison last year but couldn't find them, may pick up some tights :doe: .

Anything for face? I guess that's what a gaiter is, maybe something like this? https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/dipse ... lsrc=aw.ds
Yeah thats similar to the thing I use.
Johnny_P

The lake shoes I got are a half size too small. Damn. Emailed Competitive Cyclist, hopefully they'll come through with the exchange.

These are some nice ass shoes though.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:31 pm Dad's side of the fam is locking in the location for the familyfest this year - seems I got lucky with some epic MTB'ing within riding distance of the glampground: https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/960984 ... -imba-epic
:nice: