Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Irish wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:59 am
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:56 pm

Yep mustang is the only "real car" left and it feels quite old in the tooth. :whocares: about lincolns. They used to have great cars before fraud completely gutted the brand in order to stay afloat during the fin crisis.

One positive about them is, they didn't take a .gov bailout that everyone already forgot about :lol:
I see your general car post policing and raise you some idiom policing......

FYI...the saying is Long in the tooth....

The phrase “long in the tooth” originates from horses, or more specifically, a horse’s teeth. How so? Because the older a horse gets, the longer their teeth become. So it is possible to give an approximation for how old a horse is simply by looking at their teeth.

Now, let’s talk about when this expression shows up in print. There’s a small snippet in an article printed in the Huron Daily Huronite newspaper from the year 1889 that uses this expression. It is used in reference to a horse. To give context for the following quote, someone was in the market to buy a horse, and while analyzing a possible candidate, he had doubts about the horse’s age, so he said:

“‘Open his mouth. What did you say his age was? I think he’s a little long in the tooth. Seven years did you say he was? I should call him 10 or 11 years old.'”

Today, this phrase is used to describe the age of people or things, not just horses.
And an idiom with similar origins: “Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth”
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I've been looking at E36 M3s... I thought that it could be a cool daily, more interesting and fun than my F30 while being not terrible in terms of comfort and reliability. These things have really gone pretty :waxer: , nice ones are nearing $20K, pretty much everything under $10K is trash. I :remember: when nice ones were $7-10K just a couple of years ago. At those prices it's a :nope: ... hard to justify paying as much as my current car for one. On to the next idea...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:31 am I've been looking at E36 M3s... I thought that it could be a cool daily, more interesting and fun than my F30 while being not terrible in terms of comfort and reliability. These things have really gone pretty :waxer: , nice ones are nearing $20K, pretty much everything under $10K is trash. I :remember: when nice ones were $7-10K just a couple of years ago. At those prices it's a :nope: ... hard to justify paying as much as my current car for one. On to the next idea...

I said it a couple years ago they were at the bottom. now is probably the last chance for us mere mortals to snag a decent one at a price we can afford
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:36 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:31 am I've been looking at E36 M3s... I thought that it could be a cool daily, more interesting and fun than my F30 while being not terrible in terms of comfort and reliability. These things have really gone pretty :waxer: , nice ones are nearing $20K, pretty much everything under $10K is trash. I :remember: when nice ones were $7-10K just a couple of years ago. At those prices it's a :nope: ... hard to justify paying as much as my current car for one. On to the next idea...

I said it a couple years ago they were at the bottom. now is probably the last chance for us mere mortals to snag a decent one at a price we can afford
Maybe I should just :doit:

I shall continue mulling it over and propose it to :tits: in January.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:38 am

Be ready to replace door panels and the headliner.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Hellrot red :manuel: four door would be :neat:

Or yellow or purple, but purple I can't afford.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:38 am

Be ready to replace door panels and the headliner.
Yes, yes. I have been in quite a few E36 in my day, dat interior quality... well there isn't any.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:01 pm Apparently I'm :wap: too. Apps I have never had: instagram, snapchat, venmo, uber, lyft, tinder, yelp, facebook messenger... am I even alive?
Uber would seem to be helpful for urban getaways but I think the ship has sailed on tinder
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:09 am
troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:01 pm Apparently I'm :wap: too. Apps I have never had: instagram, snapchat, venmo, uber, lyft, tinder, yelp, facebook messenger... am I even alive?
Uber would seem to be helpful for urban getaways but I think the ship has sailed on tinder
I like Uber. I have that an Lyft installed, but to be honest I've never used Lyft... the stupid moustache thing kept me away.

Amex Platinum gives you $15/month and $30 in December in Uber credits, which is nice.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Import a 320hp euro one in a year or two?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

A daily ? I mean I owned a E36 for about 6 months and I brought it back from the dead. They are decent to drive cars but I can’t imagine why you’d want to do that now... i owned it about a decade ago now and it was already plagued with old car shit then....

I don’t see how it’s that different from your current ride other than perhaps some kind of “cool” factor.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:39 am Hellrot red :manuel: four door would be :neat:

Could easily see one of these in my garage. I love that "M-Rain" cloth.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-bmw-m3-13/

Apex

coogles wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:55 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:39 am Hellrot red :manuel: four door would be :neat:

Could easily see one of these in my garage. I love that "M-Rain" cloth.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-bmw-m3-13/

:notbad:
Apex

A buddy of mine is currently turbroing a Dakar E36. :excited:
Will go nicely with his S54 E30.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:45 am
A daily ? I mean I owned a E36 for about 6 months and I brought it back from the dead. They are decent to drive cars but I can’t imagine why you’d want to do that now... i owned it about a decade ago now and it was already plagued with old car shit then....

I don’t see how it’s that different from your current ride other than perhaps some kind of “cool” factor.
Smaller, drives way better, lighter, more interesting, cooler.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:11 pm

Buy a 2 series today and have the same problems that you will get with the E36, but have them 10 years from now instead of today.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:37 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:56 pm

Yep mustang is the only "real car" left and it feels quite old in the tooth. :whocares: about lincolns. They used to have great cars before fraud completely gutted the brand in order to stay afloat during the fin crisis.

One positive about them is, they didn't take a .gov bailout that everyone already forgot about :lol:
Mulally changed that brand. Funny thing is, all the current cars are from his regime. And they're now old as hell. And the new stuff has no direction.

Ecosport? Shit.
New Escape? Shit.
Exploder? Not bad actually, I think they look ok on the outside but disgusting inside so that's a fail too.

:nevermind:

I actually think Lincoln is in a better position than the Fraud brand right now. They're embracing the American Luxury concept.
Ecosport is one of those affordable cars that's made for 3rd world countries then later came to the US, so I think it is pretty lazy for Ford to compete in the small CUV market.
Escape is nothing but exterior changes and that's about it.
Explorer probably got updated with interior and exterior, but not much effort.
also they now have ST crossovers :yeahok:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:39 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:37 pm

Mulally changed that brand. Funny thing is, all the current cars are from his regime. And they're now old as hell. And the new stuff has no direction.

Ecosport? Shit.
New Escape? Shit.
Exploder? Not bad actually, I think they look ok on the outside but disgusting inside so that's a fail too.

I actually think Lincoln is in a better position than the Fraud brand right now. They're embracing the American Luxury concept.
Ecosport is one of those affordable cars that's made for 3rd world countries then later came to the US, so I think it is pretty lazy for Ford to compete in the small CUV market.
Explorer is on an all-new RWD platform. I'm amazed that nobody has picked that up yet. For an OEM to develop a brand new RWD platform for a volume crossover like that is pretty ballsy. Nobody else is investing in RWD that isn't BEV because FWD is cheaper and packages better.

It might be a hideous pile of garbage, but what's underneath is pretty :impressive: IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

I don't think it drives better... you have to consider the age as well. The steering is the only thing I can think of that is better... it isn't lighter either... your stripper is around 3300lbs which is roughly where those cars were... +-200 lbs

Def more interesting... more unique, future collectible etc. But I don't know that I would DD it.... There are just so many issues you're not even thinking of.
Paint Fade
Every suspension bushing being worn
Every piece of rubber in the drivertrain needs replacement, these cars really fall apart in about 10-15 years... this is aproaching 30...

This is all the shit that I fixed in my 10 years newer CALI FOR LIFE E36
Catalytic converters
Power steering line
2 loose door cards
1 door handle
rear door panel got loose had to screw it in
All the speakers were rotted out so replaced those (4x)
HU was not working right (replaced that)
2 rear shocks
2 rear shock mounts
rear brakes
Valve cover gasket
Leather on arm rest cracked and I had replace it with a piece from Michaels (just got a fleather peice to cover it)
Muffler rotted out because they all do after 100k miles, got a take off muffler from another E36

I mean be my guest but I am just trying to show you just how much shit falls apart on these

Unless you get a sub 100k cream puff it'll be all that shit and then some...
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:37 pm

Buy a 2 series today and have the same problems that you will get with the E36, but have them 10 years from now instead of today.
:wrong:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:05 pm

:wrong:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:12 am
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:09 am

I like Uber. I have that an Lyft installed, but to be honest I've never used Lyft... the stupid moustache thing kept me away.

Amex Platinum gives you $15/month and $30 in December in Uber credits, which is nice.
I see them as interchangeable since most drivers here do both. Agreed on the AMEX Plat credits, I try to use them up each month. Dat free taxi.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Probably should've... but it's basically the same as my car, I don't see it as worth the effort unless going M2 as an only car to replace both or something.

Max's points are good, hence why I said I'd nix the idea after looking at prices. If a cream puff was sub $15K maybe...

I just want a more interesting/unique DD.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:05 pm

Probably should've... but it's basically the same as my car, I don't see it as worth the effort unless going M2 as an only car to replace both or something.

Max's points are good, hence why I said I'd nix the idea after looking at prices. If a cream puff was sub $15K maybe...

I just want a more interesting/unique DD.
I would be shocked if they are... Story time...

About 10 years ago when I got the 1992 325i coupe, i was looking for new tires as well naturally... and it was cheaper to buy take off wheels+tires than tires for that car... so I decided, fuck it why not... Ended up going to this dudes house who had a set of 4 with Michelins... In his gayrage for $150.

He had a MINT 1997 E36 coupe and a C2 corvette on the covers... he was trying to sell the E36m3 for 12k... it had 68k miles. Silver on Dove gray with Vador seats, spoiler, those famous wheels+ all options essentially... I thought to myself. :waxer: but sweet car... (my 325i with nearly the same power 192 vs 220hp, cost $1500).

That car is probably worth north of 20k if it was preserved correctly and not driven...

That's the catch unfortunately.. .getting a cream puff 20 year old car means they got less than 3-5k miles a year, and just sitting down and plowing 15-20k miles into it annually seems like sacrilege. At this point E36 M cars are collectibles that go up... so 1-3k miles tops... and that makes for an expensive hobby, and tons of :butwhy: questions from the :tits:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-BMW-M3/22 ... SwmENd42Zd

Here we go... cream puff priced at 38k or buy a nearly new m2.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:02 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:39 pm

Explorer is on an all-new RWD platform. I'm amazed that nobody has picked that up yet. For an OEM to develop a brand new RWD platform for a volume crossover like that is pretty ballsy. Nobody else is investing in RWD that isn't BEV because FWD is cheaper and packages better.

It might be a hideous pile of garbage, but what's underneath is pretty :impressive: IMO.
I like the direction the ford went with the explorer, especially with the ST.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.