Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:32 pm I'm ready to blow my brains out with bike stuff. I'm so overwhelmed with life that I'm literally incapable of doing things like checking out bikes, talking to salespeople about what's in stock and pricing, etc. Full on overload. Too much stuff out there on the market, and prices are so high and bikes are so darn hard to sell used that it's a losing proposition. You should be able to get a ripper of a bike for $3k brand new. The Pivot 5.5 was great, but $6k for an outdated drivetrain isn't going to fly. Especially when you consider I used my MTB about 10 times last year, total. 95% of my riding was on my Macho Man.
Man... I feel you on this. I feel like for whatever reason life has just gotten overly complicated for me in the past year. There are too many options and too much information on all of them in pretty much every category. I know the landscape of cars, how to buy a car, get a decent :dill: , etc only because I spend an inordinate amount of time on that :bs: but anything else it's just too much. The home buying process was so much, we probably got a shit mortgage deal but at a certain point I guess the best thing to do is just say fuck it. I'll probably ride my Whorbea for five more years because it's easy and I can just go have fun. I'm going to start using my Raleigh road bike some and I doubt I'll upgrade that, because it's just another thing to stress over. I've been really trying to focus on enjoying what I have and the life I've dealt myself rather than wishing it were different all the time. That's super easy to do though, when we constantly fed IG and other :bs: from everywhere.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Weird. I guess you guys have too much money? I can't afford anything that I actually want.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:37 pm Weird. I guess you guys have too much money? I can't afford anything that I actually want.
What does a :mahtroy: want?

You've got a pretty awesome green gokart, no?
On the (street) car front, I want more than 4 cylinders to be behind me when driving and a garage in a warm place to park it in when I'm not driving.

Much like JP, even if I could buy my favorite car right now there is no way to enjoy it in my present location and that's unlikely to change in my lifetime. :eeyore:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:26 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:32 pm I'm ready to blow my brains out with bike stuff. I'm so overwhelmed with life that I'm literally incapable of doing things like checking out bikes, talking to salespeople about what's in stock and pricing, etc. Full on overload. Too much stuff out there on the market, and prices are so high and bikes are so darn hard to sell used that it's a losing proposition. You should be able to get a ripper of a bike for $3k brand new. The Pivot 5.5 was great, but $6k for an outdated drivetrain isn't going to fly. Especially when you consider I used my MTB about 10 times last year, total. 95% of my riding was on my Macho Man.
You're :crang: ing out man.

Keep it simple. Ride 3 bikes, max. Pick the one you like best. Go shred. Just like cars, there's no bad option out there when you're operating at a certain price point. Set a budget and shoot.

My goal next year is to get some wider wheels for the MTB and do more endurance MTB racing. I wanted to do races this year, but my porch and deck got in the way of doing that.

That being said, I nailed the hell out of 3 specific goals: Get back into shape, ride more than I did in 2013, and complete the full 120 mile UnPAved event.

I feel fucking great about that.
You had an awesome bike year dude. That peloton machine was a good buy.

Re: :crang: yes that's true. I should just get the Remedy and :aintcare:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:51 pm
[user not found] wrote:
What does a :mahtroy: want?

You've got a pretty awesome green gokart, no?
On the (street) car front, I want more than 4 cylinders to be behind me when driving and a garage in a warm place to park it in when I'm not driving.

Much like JP, even if I could buy my favorite car right now there is no way to enjoy it in my present location and that's unlikely to change in my lifetime. :eeyore:
:dat:
Can afford a brand new 911. Nowhere to park the motherfucker. :crang: One day I'll be able to. By then I'll probably be shopping a C12 Corvette in my white New Balances with my silver hair flying in the wind, big ass smile BECAUSE I MADE IT, BOIS.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:18 pm
Man... I feel you on this. I feel like for whatever reason life has just gotten overly complicated for me in the past year. There are too many options and too much information on all of them in pretty much every category. I know the landscape of cars, how to buy a car, get a decent :dill: , etc only because I spend an inordinate amount of time on that :bs: but anything else it's just too much. The home buying process was so much, we probably got a shit mortgage deal but at a certain point I guess the best thing to do is just say fuck it. I'll probably ride my Whorbea for five more years because it's easy and I can just go have fun. I'm going to start using my Raleigh road bike some and I doubt I'll upgrade that, because it's just another thing to stress over. I've been really trying to focus on enjoying what I have and the life I've dealt myself rather than wishing it were different all the time. That's super easy to do though, when we constantly fed IG and other :bs: from everywhere.
You know the main thing I keep coming back to?

I still shred and have fun on my shitty beat ass hardtail. I have even MORE fun on my overweight steel rigid fake road bike. So why do I need to spend $6k?
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:18 pm Man... I feel you on this. I feel like for whatever reason life has just gotten overly complicated for me in the past year. There are too many options and too much information on all of them in pretty much every category. I know the landscape of cars, how to buy a car, get a decent :dill: , etc only because I spend an inordinate amount of time on that :bs: but anything else it's just too much. The home buying process was so much, we probably got a shit mortgage deal but at a certain point I guess the best thing to do is just say fuck it. I'll probably ride my Whorbea for five more years because it's easy and I can just go have fun. I'm going to start using my Raleigh road bike some and I doubt I'll upgrade that, because it's just another thing to stress over. I've been really trying to focus on enjoying what I have and the life I've dealt myself rather than wishing it were different all the time. That's super easy to do though, when we constantly fed IG and other :bs: from everywhere.

I still shred and have fun on my shitty beat ass hardtail. I have even MORE fun on my overweight steel rigid fake road bike. So why do I need to spend $6k?
You deserve it.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:24 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:18 pm

Hard tails rock. :megusta:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:29 pm
Johnny_P wrote:

You deserve it.
:lolol:

consolation prize for my place of employment exploding and having a stressful stay-at-home job where I do literally nothing.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:31 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:24 pm

I'm actually :jelly: of yours. I love hardtails. I'd love my bike if I could put a burlier fork under it and slack out the head angle a tad.
Johnny_P

Welp. Bought some new bike bullshit.

Lazer Z1 MIPS hemlet for $110 ish.
Some new Lake MTB shoes for $225 ish.

Both are really good prices. The Competitive Cyclist :tubeman: got me. We'll see if it shows up before I leave for the weekend. Probably won't, and will get ganked off my doorstep.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:29 pm You deserve it.
Imageol:

consolation prize for my place of employment exploding and having a stressful stay-at-home job where I do literally nothing.
I mean, you're rich and you ride a lot. There's no reason not to have your favorite bike(s) in the world.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:32 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:31 pm

I'm actually :jelly: of yours. I love hardtails. I'd love my bike if I could put a burlier fork under it and slack out the head angle a tad.
You’re welcome to brap anytime dude! I love it and it’s ridiculousness.

Stick a Fox40 with like 200mm travel on yours, burly AF and will slack out that head angle. :lol:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:35 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Imageol:

I mean, you're rich and you ride a lot. There's no reason not to have your favorite bike(s) in the world.
We pull in roughly same as you I think. I don't have retirement bennies at my new job. I've just been living the life of a poor for a long time, so I have a boatload saved.

Bah. I'm not spending $6 large on a god damn bike. A WR250R is $4k used and THAT, my :mahtroy: s, is the play to make.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:35 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:32 pm

You’re welcome to brap anytime dude! I love it and it’s ridiculousness.

Stick a Fox40 with like 200mm travel on yours, burly AF and will slack out that head angle. :lol:
Non-tapered head tube my bro. I think X-fusion makes a 120mm fork that's got a straight steerer. For the price of it though, that's more than the bike is worth lol. Your Kona is the absolute way to go in hardtail-land.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:35 pm I mean, you're rich and you ride a lot. There's no reason not to have your favorite bike(s) in the world.
We pull in roughly same as you I think. I don't have retirement bennies at my new job. I've just been living the life of a poor for a long time, so I have a boatload saved.

Bah. I'm not spending $6 large on a god damn bike. A WR250R is $4k used and THAT, my :mahtroy: s, is the play to make.
You actually ride your bike though, would you ride a motorcycle? I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:44 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:31 pm

:lolol:

Think of all the shredding you could be doing.
Its been a few months and I'm still not used to this stay at home dog dad work arrangement. I feel like I'm supposed to be "working" i.e. able to quickly respond to emails, during work hours.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:46 pm
Johnny_P wrote:

You actually ride your bike though, would you ride a motorcycle? I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.
I don't know, really. I transitioned my bike stuff to mostly off road at this point to avoid cars. Motorcycle around here is all on-road. We use the term "road" loosely in south philly tho.

I keep thinking I'd get killed on a motorcycle. But a bicycle really isn't any different, and slower so it can't avoid as much.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:52 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:48 pm

Its been a few months and I'm still not used to this stay at home dog dad work arrangement. I feel like I'm supposed to be "working" i.e. able to quickly respond to emails, during work hours.
So keep your phone on you. Go ride a bit.

I’ve certainly fielded calls and emails for work on rides.
I did that the other day. Went out and brapped 30 something miles on the steel steed. Had a blast.

Thinking a Stigmata would actually be a worthy purchase. 6-10 lbs lighter than the steelie with better parts. I use it enough, I bought the Macho Man because it was cheap and a solid, easy to re-sell entry to the world of CX and gravel. And I fell in love with the damn thing. So it might be justified to get a lighter / faster more expensive version.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:46 pm You actually ride your bike though, would you ride a motorcycle? I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.
I don't know, really. I transitioned my bike stuff to mostly off road at this point to avoid cars. Motorcycle around here is all on-road. We use the term "road" loosely in south philly tho.

I keep thinking I'd get killed on a motorcycle. But a bicycle really isn't any different, and slower so it can't avoid as much.
:word:

I'm glad I bought the motorcycle but also glad I sold it.

Almost everything fun seems dangerous. I haven't even played hockey in awhile since my neck has been hurting and I don't want to make it worse. It's hurt almost every day for 3 years and will likely be that way for life. I'll probably do something equally shitty if I ever get to the MTB trails...
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:59 pm
Johnny_P wrote:

:word:

I'm glad I bought the motorcycle but also glad I sold it.

Almost everything fun seems dangerous. I haven't even played hockey in awhile since my neck has been hurting and I don't want to make it worse. It's hurt almost every day for 3 years and will likely be that way for life. I'll probably do something equally shitty if I ever get to the MTB trails...
I'd MTB with you. I like riding with people new to the sport. It brings me joy to see others enjoying the sport that I enjoy.

Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:03 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:02 pm

I'd MTB with you. I like riding with people new to the sport. It brings me joy to see others enjoying the sport that I enjoy.

:dat:

I love getting people on bikes. All about that stoke.
:dat: in those scenarios, and well really any scenario anymore, I literally do not give a shit if I'm going slow. Because everyone is out to have fun. One of the more fun rides I've done recently was take Lisa on her first MTB ride and watch her shred down crossbow trail in Belmont. That was so :fuckyeah: and she loved it until she threw out her back. Whoops. She still liked it though.
Johnny_P

I'm serious Troy. That's an invite. Same goes for anyone on here. You'd be welcome to stay at my house and cuddle my kitty and get licked to death by my vicious pit bull, rent a bike at a local shop, and we'd go shred the Wiss. And then stop at a brewery on the way back and get drunk. :sissyfight:
Johnny_P

Fuck man that's like every single ride I do anymore. The whole, been out way too long my butt is sore and I can't feel my toes, then end at a brewery and get nearly black out drunk before riding home. Get home at 3PM and I'm literally useless the entire rest of the day.

lol

:fuckyeah:
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:I'm serious Troy. That's an invite. Same goes for anyone on here. You'd be welcome to stay at my house and cuddle my kitty and get licked to death by my vicious pit bull, rent a bike at a local shop, and we'd go shred the Wiss. And then stop at a brewery on the way back and get drunk. :sissyfight:
Sounds good, maybe in June when the glacier retreats.

I used to love riding trails on snowmobiles and have sorta been searching for that experience again (but in something more affordable/accessible) for the past 15 years. Low-intensity mountain/dirt/gravel biking is probably the closest I can get if I can find people to ride with.

I also think that one of the :fancy: new bikes with an electric motor could be even better. Still light and legal to ride wherever, but more speed and less exhausting.