Camper Chat 1.0

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:36 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:32 pm

What steering ratio do you need?
Single axle. Easier to maneuver IMO.
You need a used Trailmanor Trailmini

Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:16 pm Researching campers with the thought in the back of my mind of upgrading ours.

Taxa Mantis is my perfect camper. Short enough to store in my garage. Pops up so I can stand in it. All the features I want, nothing I don't.

I'd buy one today....if it wasn't $50k

:fullretard: :|

I like Taxa's designs. Pop ups are a bit of a pain to set up, these should be a lot easier. Really pop ups aren't that bad, just if its raining or muddy or something it's a chore. Not sure why there aren't more of these lift top campers on the market.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:16 pm Researching campers with the thought in the back of my mind of upgrading ours.

Taxa Mantis is my perfect camper. Short enough to store in my garage. Pops up so I can stand in it. All the features I want, nothing I don't.

I'd buy one today....if it wasn't $50k

:fullretard: :|

I like Taxa's designs. Pop ups are a bit of a pain to set up, these should be a lot easier. Really pop ups aren't that bad, just if its raining or muddy or something it's a chore. Not sure why there aren't more of these lift top campers on the market.
I can have ours setup within 20 minutes now, but there's just a lot of little things to do:

Level
Crank up
Pull out bunks (x2)
Deploy bunk supports (x2 x2)
Secure bunk tent bottoms (x2)
Unroll awning
Fight with the 6 poles required to setup awning
Pull door down from ceiling and secure
Fold up galley
Turn on water pump
Turn on propane
Light water heater
Light refrigerator

Vs. something like the Manta:

Level
Pop up ceiling
Unfold awning
Turn on water
Turn on propane
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:48 pm
I can have ours setup within 20 minutes now, but there's just a lot of little things to do:

Level
Crank up
Pull out bunks (x2)
Unroll awning
Fold up galley
Turn on water pump
Turn on propane
Light water heater
Light refrigerator

Level
Pop up ceiling
Unfold awning
Turn on water
Turn on propane
Mine is similar. Level out, connect to electric, connect bottle for cooking, and put awning out.
I wish there was a pop top version of what you have. I REALLY like being able to stand up inside the camper.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:30 pm

Level
Crank up
Pull out bunks (x2)
Unroll awning
Fold up galley
Turn on water pump
Turn on propane
Light water heater
Light refrigerator

Level
Pop up ceiling
Unfold awning
Turn on water
Turn on propane
Yep. 20 mins one person to set up which isn't bad. But being able to roll up and park it and you're done is kind of nice. Especially if you've had a long day of driving or something, or are running late and it's getting dark out.

My tent setup was about the same amount of time maybe a bit longer with me putzing around and there were a few nights it would have been nice to not have to go through that. Because then you still gotta setup the kitchen, prep dinner and cook it, get a fire going, wash everything up. Saving some time on setup would be pretty rad. You already have some advantage over a tent with the kitchen and all being a flip up affair.

I really really like [user not found]'s setup. That toy hauler camper is pretty great. And near zero setup time.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:20 pm

Level
Crank up
Pull out bunks (x2)
Unroll awning
Fold up galley
Turn on water pump
Turn on propane
Light water heater
Light refrigerator

Level
Pop up ceiling
Unfold awning
Turn on water
Turn on propane
Yep. 20 mins one person to set up which isn't bad. But being able to roll up and park it and you're done is kind of nice. Especially if you've had a long day of driving or something, or are running late and it's getting dark out.

My tent setup was about the same amount of time maybe a bit longer with me putzing around and there were a few nights it would have been nice to not have to go through that. Because then you still gotta setup the kitchen, prep dinner and cook it, get a fire going, wash everything up. Saving some time on setup would be pretty rad. You already have some advantage over a tent with the kitchen and all being a flip up affair.

I really really like [user not found]'s setup. That toy hauler camper is pretty great. And near zero setup time.
Yep, you got it. Especially in the fall when you're certainly going to be arriving in the dark if you leave after work. Setting up in the dark is fine, but when all you want to do is relax, it's not great.

Problem is, I really want something that I can store in the garage. Keeps things nicer AND I don't have to pay rental for storage.

I really want the Mantis. Wife looked it over and loved it too. She suggested we find a dealer to go look at one, but there's no dealers in SE MI.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:31 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:20 pm

Yep, you got it. Especially in the fall when you're certainly going to be arriving in the dark if you leave after work. Setting up in the dark is fine, but when all you want to do is relax, it's not great.

Problem is, I really want something that I can store in the garage. Keeps things nicer AND I don't have to pay rental for storage.

I really want the Mantis. Wife looked it over and loved it too. She suggested we find a dealer to go look at one, but there's no dealers in SE MI.
Could you park it in the garagemahal? My grandfather had a giant garage built for his truck and camper. It wasn't anything fancy and the camper trailer was pretty small in all reality, just needed a taller door.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:50 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:31 pm

Could you park it in the garagemahal? My grandfather had a giant garage built for his truck and camper. It wasn't anything fancy and the camper trailer was pretty small in all reality, just needed a taller door.
I would need much taller doors than I wanted...probably taller than 8 feet. We're sticking with 7 foot doors because the wife was concerned about aesthetics. She's already super pissed about how big it is, and the stupid architect told her it looks better with 7 foot doors, so that's what we got. They're fine for pretty much anything under a full height camper. At least they're cheaper.

But really, I don't want a full height camper. Followed a dude towing a relatively short...maybe 22 feet dual axle full size camper behind his F150 yesterday and the wind was blowing him all around. My popup is impervious to wind due to the low profile. PLUS, I refuse to get a fullsize truck, so I want something that's easily towed behind the Gladiator, which caps the weight I'm comfortable with around 4k lbs dry. Ease of towing is important to me, and lower profile is huge for that I think.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:06 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:50 pm

I would need much taller doors than I wanted...probably taller than 8 feet. We're sticking with 7 foot doors because the wife was concerned about aesthetics. She's already super pissed about how big it is, and the stupid architect told her it looks better with 7 foot doors, so that's what we got. They're fine for pretty much anything under a full height camper. At least they're cheaper.

But really, I don't want a full height camper. Followed a dude towing a relatively short...maybe 22 feet dual axle full size camper behind his F150 yesterday and the wind was blowing him all around. My popup is impervious to wind due to the low profile. PLUS, I refuse to get a fullsize truck, so I want something that's easily towed behind the Gladiator, which caps the weight I'm comfortable with around 4k lbs dry. Ease of towing is important to me, and lower profile is huge for that I think.
Ah, yeah. Good points all around. I have never tried towing a full height 22' camper nor do I want to. Kinda still want the van thing.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:10 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:06 pm

Ah, yeah. Good points all around. I have never tried towing a full height 22' camper nor do I want to. Kinda still want the van thing.
I've thought a lot about a van thing too, but we leave camp too much in the truck to make that work I think. I'd hate to setup and break down camp every time we wanted to go somewhere, even something as simple as a quick 10 minute firewood run.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:35 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:10 pm

I've thought a lot about a van thing too, but we leave camp too much in the truck to make that work I think. I'd hate to setup and break down camp every time we wanted to go somewhere, even something as simple as a quick 10 minute firewood run.
Been catching up on ze camping threads :fuckyeah:

I totally agree on this sentiment though, having a separate vehicle/camping space is really useful. I think the cheap pop up is actually pretty ideal. Easy to tow, cheap, cheap to own/maintain, can take it pretty much anywhere, still offers some nice creature comforts over a tent, you can stand up in it...
ChrisoftheNorth

https://rv.campingworld.com/rvdetails/n ... -CH1622589

Anyone have first hand experience with Taxa? There's no dealers around me, and this is intriguing me more than it should. I've read some not so great things about Taxa build quality and warranty support in forums, but most of the feedback seems to come from earlier builds.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:33 pm https://rv.campingworld.com/rvdetails/n ... -CH1622589

Anyone have first hand experience with Taxa? There's no dealers around me, and this is intriguing me more than it should. I've read some not so great things about Taxa build quality and warranty support in forums, but most of the feedback seems to come from earlier builds.
how many lbs of the devil's lettuce can that thing haul :hue:

time to get into shipping.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:33 pm https://rv.campingworld.com/rvdetails/n ... -CH1622589

I’ve never seen one up close and in person - they’re interesting (and :waxer: ) though.

As a tall dude, your options are limited if you want to stand inside whatever rig you have.
Yea...I have a really hard time justifying the cost, but at $20k off, it's a bit more intriguing. Apparently, the tallest point of the Mantis when popped up is 8'...which would be awesome and very unique. Problem is, there's no way for me to check one out since there's none around me. Driving 9 hours to Chattanooga for a camper I've never even seen before is sketchy.

The pop up still does everything I want, I just wish it was faster to setup. Probably not worth 10x the cost, really.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:49 am

I’ve never seen one up close and in person - they’re interesting (and :waxer: ) though.

As a tall dude, your options are limited if you want to stand inside whatever rig you have.
Yea...I have a really hard time justifying the cost, but at $20k off, it's a bit more intriguing. Apparently, the tallest point of the Mantis when popped up is 8'...which would be awesome and very unique. Problem is, there's no way for me to check one out since there's none around me. Driving 9 hours to Chattanooga for a camper I've never even seen before is sketchy.

The pop up still does everything I want, I just wish it was faster to setup. Probably not worth 10x the cost, really.
I can almost guarantee that it's not. for that kind of money and actual rv is what you are looking for.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

The mantis is very cool and has an interesting design. I watched several vids and interviews on it. The designer was a NASA engineer/designer. There is tons of cubbys and small storage with lots of technical details. While cool, the overall just doesn't work for me. I especially dont like the crapper next to the kitchen sink. This is earth, not space.

I just feel there are better, more comfortable, camping devices for less than $20k. Something like [user not found] has WITH a pop top is the best of lightweight camping trailer.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:59 am

I can almost guarantee that it's not. for that kind of money and actual rv is what you are looking for.
I just don't want an actual RV. I want something that I can park in my garage so I don't have to deal with storage costs AND I like that things stay nicer when indoors.

The pop up is perfect, I just wish it was faster/simpler to setup. Storage, while ample, is a bit of a PITA to get access to as well.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:06 am

The mantis is very cool and has an interesting design. I watched several vids and interviews on it. The designer was a NASA engineer/designer. There is tons of cubbys and small storage with lots of technical details. While cool, the overall just doesn't work for me. I especially dont like the crapper next to the kitchen sink. This is earth, not space.

I just feel there are better, more comfortable, camping devices for less than $20k. Something like [user not found] has WITH a pop top is the best of lightweight camping trailer.
Yea, I've been following the Mantis since it was introduced. I like everything about it...even the crapper. It's tough to put it somewhere logical in such a small space. Ban #2 in it and just use it for #1, and it's ok.

That said, our popup doesn't have a crapper and it hasn't been an issue since nature is your toilet. Unless you get in a somewhat cramped campground, then it would be nice to have something inside.

There's absolutely better campers for under $20k...they're just too big. I don't want something massive that's a PITA to store and tow. The Mantis is exactly what I want...it's just so damned pricey.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:34 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:59 am

I just don't want an actual RV. I want something that I can park in my garage so I don't have to deal with storage costs AND I like that things stay nicer when indoors.

The pop up is perfect, I just wish it was faster/simpler to setup. Storage, while ample, is a bit of a PITA to get access to as well.
they do make small rv's that would fit in your garage that are popup size, you just have to get the check book out. that thing you posted is a shitty half measure. I just don't know what you are getting at.

why not a fixed sides pop-up? that seems simple, just press a button and will still tow well.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:40 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:34 am

they do make small rv's that would fit in your garage that are popup size, you just have to get the check book out. that thing you posted is a shitty half measure. I just don't know what you are getting at.

why not a fixed sides pop-up? that seems simple, just press a button and will still tow well.
Fixed side popups seem pretty rare...I can't find any but also haven't looked that hard.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:50 am
Fixed side popups seem pretty rare...I can't find any but also haven't looked that hard.
They're also typically 2-wheeled things that are bigger.

I'd like to think there's a market for pop-top campers, rather than total pop-ups.
I think there is. Pop ups are just a lot of effort to setup. A pop top could give you almost all the benefits of a popup, but with quicker setup. The Mantis appears to be the only real pop top on the market, but it's priced so ridiculously that the volume is probably miniscule.

You can buy a hardside under 20' travel trailer for under $15k brand new. I don't see why a lower roof pop-top couldn't be done for under $20k.

I will say that the efficiency of space in a popup is incredible. Having the sleeping areas extend out leaves a ton of usable living space. I really like that about ours...but it also adds significantly to the setup time.

I wish I had the resources to start making my own campers...
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Hey Guys, QQ for ya'll. So I was at a family X mas thing and my relatives got 25" trailer to pull... they researched it quite a bit... but were still surprised by the cost of "overnighting" in some locations. They joined the KOA as they like the amenities etc, but they mentioned to me that it is usually 120-150$ per site per day... that's pretty flipping insane. Is that just a california thing or is it as much elsewhere ?

(full hookup, electric etc)
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:38 pm Hey Guys, QQ for ya'll. So I was at a family X mas thing and my relatives got 25" trailer to pull... they researched it quite a bit... but were still surprised by the cost of "overnighting" in some locations. They joined the KOA as they like the amenities etc, but they mentioned to me that it is usually 120-150$ per site per day... that's pretty flipping insane. Is that just a california thing or is it as much elsewhere ?

Probably some Cali tax involved there but the campground I stay at near Ocean City, Maryland is between 45 - 100 a night depending on the time of year you go. Peak season vs off season.

That’s for a full hookup site.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Apex wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:47 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:38 pm Hey Guys, QQ for ya'll. So I was at a family X mas thing and my relatives got 25" trailer to pull... they researched it quite a bit... but were still surprised by the cost of "overnighting" in some locations. They joined the KOA as they like the amenities etc, but they mentioned to me that it is usually 120-150$ per site per day... that's pretty flipping insane. Is that just a california thing or is it as much elsewhere ?

Probably some Cali tax involved there but the campground I stay at near Ocean City, Maryland is between 45 - 100 a night depending on the time of year you go. Peak season vs off season.

Man if one gets a new trailer+new truck or the likes + stays somewhere at these prices it turns out to be an enormously expensive proposition, especially after you factor in gas prices/near single digit mpg to get to the destinations... The great equalizer is crotchfruit as it would allow you to offset quite a few of the expenses of a say a flight ticket for them. And or of course getting a cheap ass 20 yo truck and trailer... but that's for the poors apparently.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:51 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:47 pm

Man if one gets a new trailer+new truck or the likes + stays somewhere at these prices it turns out to be an enormously expensive proposition, especially after you factor in gas prices/near single digit mpg to get to the destinations... The great equalizer is crotchfruit as it would allow you to offset quite a few of the expenses of a say a flight ticket for them. And or of course getting a cheap ass 20 yo truck and trailer... but that's for the poors apparently.
baw, ain't no near about it, anything gas will be single digits, diesel might squeeze out 12 or 12 depending on size of thing you are towing.
brain go brrrrrr