Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:53 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:49 pm

So you're saying you do all your own power points?
I do actually. My underlings who I treated like friends and family, decided to fuck me every time. Then they some terrible new bosses... and proceeded to suck their dicks without walking over them, which is when I realized I was too damn nice.

Not anymore.
That is a sad ass story.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:55 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:53 pm

I do actually. My underlings who I treated like friends and family, decided to fuck me every time. Then they some terrible new bosses... and proceeded to suck their dicks without walking over them, which is when I realized I was too damn nice.

Not anymore.
That is a sad ass story.
Yea man 3/3 I was a cool boss. I got hit with tears, fists made during a normal conversation, :millennial: demands of 25-30% raises annually, when I clearly gave them everything I could without asking the fking CEO for money money.

Ended up getting stressed the fuck out and writing up a 2 page long document with HR in case they went :nuke: etc.

The way I treated them was with 0 bs. Wanna a browse at work, sure go ahead, wanna come in late, that's is fine. Wanna WFH ? As long as you get your shit done I :aintcare:

Dude that took em over after me... :amir: style asshole that treated everyone below him like Scum. They had to take useless calls in the middle of the night.. come in on weekends etc. All of which was eliminated under me, and I WAS THE BAD GUY. In the end... fk em. THEY WERE OK with that treatment. And honestly my feelings were hurt, but live and learn. Kind of like seeing a chick ride off with a Fuckboi , go ahead get that chlamydia girl, you deserve it.
Last edited by max225 on Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:38 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:36 pm "Friend" we met when we hired him to do our last house. We liked him so much and he did such a good job that we started hanging out on the regular as friends. When it was time to do the garage, he seemed like a no brainer, though we did source multiple quotes just in case.

It's snowing right now, I just put a handle on the human door so it would latch shut. There's only one base coat of stucco on that won't cure because of the moisture and cold. All the trim is wrapped in paper for the stucco, which is getting destroyed because of moisture. We're still missing 4 windows, so while paper is covering the window openings, keeping snow from getting in, it'll only last so long.

We're a full 2 months behind schedule. We told him we wanted the garage done before the snow flew, and he said no problem.

WELL IT TURNED OUT TO BE A BIG FUCKING PROBLEM.

Good news is we've only paid him 1/3 of what he's owed because we agreed in writing to certain milestones that would get the next installment. The next installment was due when all the windows went in...which still isn't done.

The thing is epic though, I just with is was done like it was supposed to be.
This is some pretty solid Maybelline on Wilbur brah.
:dat:

Also, solid play on the old saying.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:36 pm "Friend" we met when we hired him to do our last house. We liked him so much and he did such a good job that we started hanging out on the regular as friends. When it was time to do the garage, he seemed like a no brainer, though we did source multiple quotes just in case.

It's snowing right now, I just put a handle on the human door so it would latch shut. There's only one base coat of stucco on that won't cure because of the moisture and cold. All the trim is wrapped in paper for the stucco, which is getting destroyed because of moisture. We're still missing 4 windows, so while paper is covering the window openings, keeping snow from getting in, it'll only last so long.

We're a full 2 months behind schedule. We told him we wanted the garage done before the snow flew, and he said no problem.

Good news is we've only paid him 1/3 of what he's owed because we agreed in writing to certain milestones that would get the next installment. The next installment was due when all the windows went in...which still isn't done.

Shit man, that sucks. I'd be :rage: ing, too. Good that you still owe him a fuck ton of dough. Hope it gets done by T-Giving at least. :|
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:00 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:38 pm

This is some pretty solid Maybelline on Wilbur brah.

Also, solid play on the old saying.
Dirk delivers again.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:49 pm Whoa... can you actually not pay him for being late... this may go to small claims...
We have a signed agreement that 1/3 is up front, another 1/3 when windows are installed ( supposed to be the mid point, but there's still four big holes where windows are supposed to go) and the final when the job is complete.

How can he sue us?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:02 pm

Is the main house stucco?
Yep. That's the entire reason for stucco on the garage.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:51 pm

Shit man, that sucks. I'd be :rage: ing, too. Good that you still owe him a fuck ton of dough. Hope it gets done by T-Giving at least. :|
Unlikely. Now with the weather doing what it's doing, no way the stucco will be completed...and the garage doesn't even have electricity yet. No way that'll happen either until spring.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:58 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:49 pm Whoa... can you actually not pay him for being late... this may go to small claims...
We have a signed agreement that 1/3 is up front, another 1/3 when windows are installed ( supposed to be the mid point, but there's still four big holes where windows are supposed to go) and the final when the job is complete.

How can he sue us?
Well for the work that has to be completed... I dunno how balls deep he is or how mad you two are at one another.

But are you :nuke: 'ing him or just pissed that he is late?
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:09 pm

How can he sue us?
Well for the work that has to be completed... I dunno how balls deep he is or how mad you two are at one another.

Oh, I've been very clear. I'll pay him as soon as my final 4 windows are installed, and I've always paid him very on time, this isn't the first time I've worked with him.

:rage: and :nuke: won't help this situation (or any like it), so I'm keeping the line of communication wide open, but firm that I'm sticking to my originally agreed upon payment schedule. If I pay him, he won't have incentive to hurry the fuck up and get things done.
ChrisoftheNorth

I've also offered to pay him out for work this far and part ways. He insists he'll "get it done"...so whatever, that's his choice. I gave him an out.

Unfortunately, the weather is our enemy more than anything at this point.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

How can he sue us?
:mahman: Plus the jurisdictional limit is too high for small claims.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:27 pm

How can he sue us?
Yea, this is WAY beyond small claims by nearly 10x.

Im not trying to stoff him, I'll gladly pay what I've received in full, but I need to keep the pressure on him to get shit done, and I'm doing it by sticking to the original agreement.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:37 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:27 pm

Im not trying to stoff him, I'll gladly pay what I've received in full, but I need to keep the pressure on him to get shit done, and I'm doing it by sticking to the original agreement.
What a concept.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:37 pm

What a concept.
But if I'm fucking something up that's opening me up to legal risk, let me know please. I value your input here.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:02 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:54 pm

What a concept.
But if I'm fucking something up that's opening me up to legal risk, let me know please. I value your input here.
Don't practice in Michigan and MOST IMPORTANTLY, have not read your contract. If payments are tied to performance benchmarks doe, and those benchmarks aren't met, no payment is due barring language to the contrary. That's the way we set up our Cartel Condo. And I don't intend to pay until the benchmarks are accomplished.

THAT SAID.

You do, in most jurisdictions, have an obligation to mitigate your damages......e.g. if a storm is blowing 80 cubic feet of water through open window holes in your garage you need to go board that shit up. Same goes for other damages that can reasonably be avoided. You can't just watch the Titanic sink......you have to send out lifeboats.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:10 pm
Don't practice in Michigan and MOST IMPORTANTLY, have not read your contract. If payments are tied to performance benchmarks doe, and those benchmarks aren't met, no payment is due barring language to the contrary. That's the way we set up our Cartel Condo. And I don't intend to pay until the benchmarks are accomplished.

THAT SAID.

You do, in most jurisdictions, have an obligation to mitigate your damages......e.g. if a storm is blowing 80 cubic feet of water through open window holes in your garage you need to go board that shit up. Same goes for other damages that can reasonably be avoided. You can't just watch the Titanic sink......you have to send out lifeboats.
:sass:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

THAT SAID.

Damn you and your voice of reason. I'd be tempted to burn the bitch down at this point and :rage: just for the sake of getting my frustration out.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:16 pm I've also offered to pay him out for work this far and part ways. He insists he'll "get it done"...so whatever, that's his choice. I gave him an out.

Unfortunately, the weather is our enemy more than anything at this point.
I think it is unwise to change contractors unless you plan on dicking with 3-4 quotes of new dudes who are not vetted.

I would stick to the contract 100% if he has not met his performance obligations you're not obligated to pay. My question was around future work, are you supposed to look at it like :thisisfine: or when is he coming to finish the work?
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:14 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:09 pm

Oh, I've been very clear. I'll pay him as soon as my final 4 windows are installed, and I've always paid him very on time, this isn't the first time I've worked with him.

:rage: and :nuke: won't help this situation (or any like it), so I'm keeping the line of communication wide open, but firm that I'm sticking to my originally agreed upon payment schedule. If I pay him, he won't have incentive to hurry the fuck up and get things done.
:popcorn: on this... He is incentivized in more ways than 1 to finish his work. Your relationshit, the place going :doomed: , and getting paid and not dealing with a legal battle.

I guess I was just trying to say that just because he "missed a deadline" doesn't mean you can't pay him. I have never seen a contract as such for construction and I have seen a quite a few.
max225

Also reason why I am asking this is because I deal with contracts on the regular here for work, and I tend to review my buddies contracts on occasion as well (The contractor). Depending on how you decide to go forward your options change...

If he is a licensed contractor in your state, and he is refusing to do the work, you can file a claim with the state against him and that normally causes them to pucker up real quick, as then you will be able to take the "bid amount" and take it to someone/anyone else to complete the work and if they do cost over-runs it will be charged back to your buddy. No sane contractor will let it get to that point and usually complete the work, as it turns into a huge fiasco for them.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:26 pm

THAT SAID.

:sass:
Pretty much. Roland McGregor of Clan Funsponge at your service.
ChrisoftheNorth

THAT SAID.

Oh, totally. That's why I put a handle on the door today so it latches closed. The open windows don't appear to be letting anything in at this point (they're small windows at the top under the eaves), but I'll keep an eye out. The paper covering them seems to be doing an ok job so far.

I'm more worried about the first base layer of stucco not setting properly because of the temps...but there's nothing I can do about that. I'm not going to side the entire thing myself with plywood, that's :fullretard:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:55 pm Also reason why I am asking this is because I deal with contracts on the regular here for work, and I tend to review my buddies contracts on occasion as well (The contractor). Depending on how you decide to go forward your options change...

If he is a licensed contractor in your state, and he is refusing to do the work, you can file a claim with the state against him and that normally causes them to pucker up real quick, as then you will be able to take the "bid amount" and take it to someone/anyone else to complete the work and if they do cost over-runs it will be charged back to your buddy. No sane contractor will let it get to that point and usually complete the work, as it turns into a huge fiasco for them.
All good to know.

He's not refusing to do work, he just keeps making excuses for delays and whatnot. He's still communicating, just nothing is really being accomplished.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:50 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:14 pm

:popcorn: on this... He is incentivized in more ways than 1 to finish his work. Your relationshit, the place going :doomed: , and getting paid and not dealing with a legal battle.

I guess I was just trying to say that just because he "missed a deadline" doesn't mean you can't pay him. I have never seen a contract as such for construction and I have seen a quite a few.
Oh yeah, I wouldn't with hold payment solely because of missed deadlines. I'll happily pay for work completed thus far. There's really not much left to do other than finish the siding and install the 4 windows. The electrical I can just hire myself NBD.