Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:01 pm WJ jeeps Are ok... but mostly beat to shit by their 7th owner
I found a WK that I'll show him tomorrow. The Liberty he found is a shitty base model but it was a NYS owned vehicle so I imagine it was at least maintained well enough.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:41 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:37 pm
Does it have the head gaskets replaced ? Subaru’s that old aren’t the pinnacle of reliability.

Also what’s the reasoning behind a 3/4K “beater” ? Is your dad capable of working on cars
Yes HG and Timing belt were done at 105k. My dad doesn't want to drive his 300 in the salt so he's looking for a car to drive in case he doesn't move to FL for work. He's 100% Capable of working on cars and has done so his entire life, but doesn't want to work on a car he might only own for a couple of months.
My dad, my brother, and my brother's wife all have legacys / outbacks from this gen, and about the only thing that has gone wrong on them is the head gasket thing. If that's taken care of it should be a pretty decent car.

I don't get the old lady comment. They will out handle almost any competitor and don't even suck with the base 4 cyl motor and 4 speed auto. They are a little loud and tinny, noise isolation wasn't great in these.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:28 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:41 pm
Yes HG and Timing belt were done at 105k. My dad doesn't want to drive his 300 in the salt so he's looking for a car to drive in case he doesn't move to FL for work. He's 100% Capable of working on cars and has done so his entire life, but doesn't want to work on a car he might only own for a couple of months.
My dad, my brother, and my brother's wife all have legacys / outbacks from this gen, and about the only thing that has gone wrong on them is the head gasket thing. If that's taken care of it should be a pretty decent car.

I don't get the old lady comment. They will out handle almost any competitor and don't even suck with the base 4 cyl motor and 4 speed auto. They are a little loud and tinny, noise isolation wasn't great in these.
Yeah like I said my mom had a 2007 Limited until this spring, and my dad always had good things to say about it so I don't really get the old lady comments either. Unless he just thinks of my 62 y/o mom when he sees one idk.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

So dad is out of town for over a week and I'm letting my GTI sit and drive his Explorer sport as my daily, and man I just love the :aintcare: driving, except these slow ass drivers just :rage: the fuck out of me, but thank god for that 3.5TT. I just got back from a date in DC and there's road work on one of the main roads where I feel like offroading with my GTI, and with the explorer, just glide over them and not darting out of potholes.

I also :stig: on on-ramps, and to be honest, I didn't feel that much difference compared to my GTI in terms of how much speed I carry, about 10 mph less in comparison. I think what it really needs it's a tighter steering and better trans programming with a functioning manual mode, and that's really all it needs to be almost identical. Of course that has to do with wrong wheel drive, front engine and both on car platform. :mindblown: :lol: :gaydance:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:34 pm So dad is out of town for over a week and I'm letting my GTI sit and drive his Explorer sport as my daily, and man I just love the :aintcare: driving, except these slow ass drivers just :rage: the fuck out of me, but thank god for that 3.5TT. I just got back from a date in DC and there's road work on one of the main roads where I feel like offroading with my GTI, and with the explorer, just glide over them and not darting out of potholes.

I also :stig: on on-ramps, and to be honest, I didn't feel that much difference compared to my GTI in terms of how much speed I carry, about 10 mph less in comparison. I think what it really needs it's a tighter steering and better trans programming with a functioning manual mode, and that's really all it needs to be almost identical. Of course that has to do with wrong wheel drive, front engine and both on car platform. :mindblown: :lol: :gaydance:
How’s the mani pedi holding up? My gal totally did something different this time and 2 of my nails chipped already and I paid extra for gel! Which I never do. Going to have to switch places, any reccos ?
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:59 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:34 pm So dad is out of town for over a week and I'm letting my GTI sit and drive his Explorer sport as my daily, and man I just love the :aintcare: driving, except these slow ass drivers just :rage: the fuck out of me, but thank god for that 3.5TT. I just got back from a date in DC and there's road work on one of the main roads where I feel like offroading with my GTI, and with the explorer, just glide over them and not darting out of potholes.

How’s the mani pedi holding up? My gal totally did something different this time and 2 of my nails chipped already and I paid extra for gel! Which I never do. Going to have to switch places, any reccos ?
Will get back to you after making a reservation for a hibachi date with her BRB #priorities
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:00 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:59 pm
Will get back to you after making a reservation for a hibachi date with her BRB #priorities
You gonna take the kiddies with ? You got the capacity.

In all seriousness stop glamorizing :aintcare: driving, sad!
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:04 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:00 pm

You gonna take the kiddies with ? You got the capacity.

In all seriousness stop glamorizing :aintcare: driving, sad!
just temporarily, it's to really keep some miles off the GTI.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:24 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:01 pm WJ jeeps Are ok... but mostly beat to shit by their 7th owner
I found a WK that I'll show him tomorrow. The Liberty he found is a shitty base model but it was a NYS owned vehicle so I imagine it was at least maintained well enough.
If you have any WK questions, just let me know. Wifey is on her second one now.
max225

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:47 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAYQzkGojAM&t=131s

Do you guys watch this man... :jelly:
I remember seeing a video of him a few times where he debated to sell his galardo or not after he got laid off.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Our rental here is a brand new loaded Fusion titanium awd, had 6 miles on the odo when I got in. It's a really nice car. The seats for some reason actually have super narrow bolsters which fit my skinny ass great. The adaptive cruise works perfectly. The steering and braking are even decent.

Why anyone would buy trucks over these things is beyond me...
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:47 pm Our rental here is a brand new loaded Fusion titanium awd, had 6 miles on the odo when I got in. It's a really nice car. The seats for some reason actually have super narrow bolsters which fit my skinny ass great. The adaptive cruise works perfectly. The steering and braking are even decent.

because we muricans are too fat to fit in a puny little fusion
because muricans don't care about holding anything other than their big gulp cups from 7-11
because muricans need a cargo space to pick up kids from the fat camp
max225

troyguitar wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:47 pm Our rental here is a brand new loaded Fusion titanium awd, had 6 miles on the odo when I got in. It's a really nice car. The seats for some reason actually have super narrow bolsters which fit my skinny ass great. The adaptive cruise works perfectly. The steering and braking are even decent.

do you lifestyle shop bro ?

Are you an uber driver or an epic adventure ready guy who loves labradors and has a picturesque cabin in the woods?
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:

do you lifestyle shop bro ?

Are you an uber driver or an epic adventure ready guy who loves labradors and has a picturesque cabin in the woods?
I don't even have a beard. :jalepenis:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:39 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:24 pm

https://rochester.craigslist.org/ctd/d/ ... 18777.html

I know leather was an option on the Laredo but does leather seats also mean heated seats?
Apex

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:17 am

I know leather was an option on the Laredo but does leather seats also mean heated seats?
Pics are a little blurry but it looks like that one has factory heated seats. :like:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:19 am

Pics are a little blurry but it looks like that one has factory heated seats. :like:
Cool thanks I'll have him text the guy. Anything specific to look at that you'd be able to see crawling under it?
Apex

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:20 am
Apex wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:19 am

Cool thanks I'll have him text the guy. Anything specific to look at that you'd be able to see crawling under it?
Listen for any clunking when shifting to reverse or drive; that’ll be the front diff bushings which can be a PITA as 2 of them need to be pressed in/out.
Usual rust stuff as it’s a NE ride.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

"Look!!Special Price for the week only!!This is an a great vehicle!!Runs and drives great!!Cold Air!!Heat!!Clean!!Automatic Transmission!!AM FM Radio!!Sun Roof!!ETC!!

Priced Well Below Kelly Blue Book Value!!!!!!!!!!"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:48 am

"Look!!Special Price for the week only!!This is an a great vehicle!!Runs and drives great!!Cold Air!!Heat!!Clean!!Automatic Transmission!!AM FM Radio!!Sun Roof!!ETC!!

Priced Well Below Kelly Blue Book Value!!!!!!!!!!"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep I hate these ads.
max225

I see heated seat buttons!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny_P

I made a spreadsheet to help me select a car.

STI scored 39
Mini 3 cyl scored 60
Elantra sedan, Civic hatch, JGC, and Xterra all scored the same at 73

:foreveralone:

Man, shifting priorities and stuff. I would have never considered any of these 5 years ago.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:01 pm

I see heated seat buttons!!!!!!!!!!!
Throw an aftermarket radio in there and that's a :notbad: place to be.
Johnny_P

Mini 3 cylinder
Turbo
134 HP
Premium fuel