Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:06 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:02 pm

We found a couple places on Kauai we liked, which were more like eating at someone's house.. We always rent houses so we usually cook our own dinner. Maui had zero restaurants we liked and was overall way too crowded with tourists. Mostly the same with Ohau, but especially in the Waikiki area. FUCK THAT PLACE.
Wait I am about to book Maui... to get Status with Alaska... What changed with that place? It was about 1/3 of the crowds of Oahu... and yes fk Waikiki but only idiots go there.
It is less crowded than Oahu, but still really busy and touristy. I guess if you stay out of Lahaina it isn't too bad. We stayed "up country" in Kula to get away and it was fine. We were also near Haleakala which was nice.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:07 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:56 pm

Once you go, you'll be asking yourself why you waited.

I hadn't gone either and never saw the attraction.... until we went. Now I've been back twice and will probably sneak in a week in this coming June between our DC and Nashville trips.
Interesting.

It's a long ass flight for me...I have a hard time seeing how it's better than Puerto Rico. Similar in climate and geography. But I DGAF about beaches and shit.
Puerto Rico... :disgust: :howdareyou: compare the two. Shithole and paradise where people speak english and its proper America. vs crime infested unrecognized region.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:09 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:06 pm
Wait I am about to book Maui... to get Status with Alaska... What changed with that place? It was about 1/3 of the crowds of Oahu... and yes fk Waikiki but only idiots go there.
It is less crowded than Oahu, but still really busy and touristy. I guess if you stay out of Lahaina it isn't too bad. We stayed "up country" in Kula to get away and it was fine. We were also near Haleakala which was nice.
I think our plan was to Airbnb... fk the hotels. We had a great time renting an epic place in Oahu last time... close to everything but away from Waikiki madness... 5/7 would do again.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:08 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:50 pm Never been to Hawaii. :aintcare: too.
I suppose this forum is a safe space... but it can be actually an epic Retirement spot... Big island real estate is cheaper than detroit... :yikes:
Forget Oahu.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 94?view=qv

TWO FIDDY and you're fking done.
My cousin lives on the big island and has 6 houses there.. 2 were severely fucked from the volcano last year. I'd still like to have a place there, but not sure I could live full time on an island. Def. would have to give up the car hobby to live there.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:10 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:09 pm

I think our plan was to Airbnb... fk the hotels. We had a great time renting an epic place in Oahu last time... close to everything but away from Waikiki madness... 5/7 would do again.
Checkout VRBO (Vacation Rentals By Owner) or "HomeAway". We've found them to be much better than AirBnB by far. We rented a $3M house on Kauai twice now and a bunch of houses all over the place. We're doing one in Arizona for Thanksgiving week too.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:12 pm

I suppose this forum is a safe space... but it can be actually an epic Retirement spot... Big island real estate is cheaper than detroit... :yikes:
Forget Oahu.

My cousin lives on the big island and has 6 houses there.. 2 were severely fucked from the volcano last year. I'd still like to have a place there, but not sure I could live full time on an island. Def. would have to give up the car hobby to live there.
They have a strong car culture too, but you'd have to be on Oahu for that. Big island is way too laid back, but you can easily derp around in a JLUR with no worries.

Also Oahu is 7-10x more expensive than big island which is frankly nuts.

Yes there are disasters but I am shopping homes here where the down-payment is almost double a house on the big island. That becomes a tough pill to swallow.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Forget Oahu.

The Big Island is the best, IMHO. So much geographic diversity.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:14 pm

They have a strong car culture too, but you'd have to be on Oahu for that. Big island is way too laid back, but you can easily derp around in a JLUR with no worries.

Yes there are disasters but I am shopping homes here where the down-payment is almost double a house on the big island. That becomes a tough pill to swallow.
Ok, but what the hell would you do? Open a Vodka bar?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Yeah, I get it.

I just couldn't full time on an island that has low speed limits and you still can see it all in a day. I would eventually get anxious for the mainland and need a place to go.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:17 pm

:notbad: idea is :notbad:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:18 pm

It did start seeming pretty reasonable as I typed it.
max225

Why the fk not?
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:19 pm

Isn't getting :drunk: the primary entertainment option in all isolated locales?
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:19 pm

:like: AZN Russian FUSION. I think it would be so random it would work.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Dat Shanghai Mule
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:26 pm Dat Shanghai Mule
Should be on the menu :yikes:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:56 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:52 am
I really like these inside and out. What do 8spd Kamry cost these days?
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the rental shitbox one. I thought it needed more power and a non-rubber steering wheel but that was about it.

Camrys are about the same actually. I like them a ton. They're rather large ish but maybe not that big a deal overall? They handle great and deal with bombed out roads surprisingly well. I think the H/K cars slay them in infotainment, features, connectivity, etc.

Kamry uses premium fuel that's a hard no, dog.

The new Sonata with the streaky LED headlights looks nice asf.
:hai: Those LED headlights are :mindblown: and the car overall is really :nice: . It rides great. They may be a bit big for you doe, at about 19x" long. NA motor, too with 185 mighty horses on 87.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

The roads here are absolutely fucking covered with salt. Fucking :rage:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:21 pm The roads here are absolutely fucking covered with salt. Fucking :rage:
:idbu:
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:06 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:56 am
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the rental shitbox one. I thought it needed more power and a non-rubber steering wheel but that was about it.

Camrys are about the same actually. I like them a ton. They're rather large ish but maybe not that big a deal overall? They handle great and deal with bombed out roads surprisingly well. I think the H/K cars slay them in infotainment, features, connectivity, etc.

Kamry uses premium fuel that's a hard no, dog.

The new Sonata with the streaky LED headlights looks nice asf.
:hai: Those LED headlights are :mindblown: and the car overall is really :nice: . It rides great. They may be a bit big for you doe, at about 19x" long. NA motor, too with 185 mighty horses on 87.
I mean I think H/K really nail the cheap car segment. They have the best infotainment out there, excellent connectivity, great fuel mileage, decent performance, and tons of features for the dollar. That stupid Elantra changed my opinion of the brand. Hardly anything about that little car actually sucked. The things that did suck are remedied by higher trims (headlights, mostly).
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:21 pm The roads here are absolutely fucking covered with salt. Fucking :rage:

Come to Cali boo, breathe some fresh air
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:42 pm
wap wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:06 pm

I mean I think H/K really nail the cheap car segment. They have the best infotainment out there, excellent connectivity, great fuel mileage, decent performance, and tons of features for the dollar. That stupid Elantra changed my opinion of the brand. Hardly anything about that little car actually sucked. The things that did suck are remedied by higher trims (headlights, mostly).
Very little sucks about the civic sport and corolla xse also... there is a reason those things cost 25-28k now
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:40 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:42 pm

Very little sucks about the civic sport and corolla xse also... there is a reason those things cost 25-28k now
That is very true. I like the new Corolla. 169 HP! And the Civic with the tiny turbo gets to 60 as quick as the last Si did.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:50 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:40 pm

That is very true. I like the new Corolla. 169 HP! And the Civic with the tiny turbo gets to 60 as quick as the last Si did.
Tons of safety tech and space as well, and close to 40 on donkey piss.