Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:42 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:29 pm

Well then there's really only one answer. Mazduh 3 hatch with awd. It checks pretty much every box.
Possibly
No way in hell i'd do new. Just get one for 8-9k till the personal dust settles.
max225

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:26 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:54 am https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/lyft ... 06488.html

Also this
I'd be curious how the math works out on this in terms of savings.
Simple $20 a month for 15% savings...
20/.15
You'd have to spend at least $133 a month to recoup your subscription fee. If you're not far from work... I'd think $300 a month so for having a personal driver would be :notbad:

It's about $400 a month for me to get to work via personal driver... still far cheaper than having most cars+insurance etc.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:07 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:26 pm

I'd be curious how the math works out on this in terms of savings.
Simple $20 a month for 15% savings...
20/.15
You'd have to spend at least $133 a month to recoup your subscription fee. If you're not far from work... I'd think $300 a month so for having a personal driver would be :notbad:

It's about $400 a month for me to get to work via personal driver... still far cheaper than having most cars+insurance etc.
You're just referring to the daily work commute without taking errands and other miscellaneous trips into account. Really, someone would need to track their driving habits for a month or two and then apply Lyft's rates in accordance with the recorded trip's times and miles to get an idea on what this would actually cost versus keeping their car.

Personally, if you want me to dump my mode of transportation in such a way dictated by you so that I become 100% reliant on your transportation system, you better make that pot a whole hell of a lot sweeter than a $250 credit and three free months of a subscription to discounted rates.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Are those services really that reliable?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:05 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:42 pm

Possibly
No way in hell i'd do new. Just get one for 8-9k till the personal dust settles.
Right. They're too expensive used. I should probably check out a civic sport though.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:01 pm Are those services really that reliable?
Depends where you live.

A few weeks ago, my wife was leaving for a work trip and didn't want to drive her own vehicle to leave at the airport for a week for complex reasons.

Her flight was at 7, and she needed to leave at 5am on a Wednesday. She woke up at 4:30, checked Uber and Lyft and the nearest driver was an Uber driver that was AN HOUR away. That wasn't going to work, so I just drove her.

Perhaps SF, LA, NY, and etc have plenty of drivers available 24/7, but that's not the case in many areas like my own.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:03 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:05 pm

Right. They're too expensive used. I should probably check out a civic sport though.
Some of these even had anus blowers. Plus you get the h/k infotainment.

Apex
Drives: Abominable

:lolol:
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:08 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:01 pm Are those services really that reliable?
Depends where you live.

A few weeks ago, my wife was leaving for a work trip and didn't want to drive her own vehicle to leave at the airport for a week for complex reasons.

Her flight was at 7, and she needed to leave at 5am on a Wednesday. She woke up at 4:30, checked Uber and Lyft and the nearest driver was an Uber driver that was AN HOUR away. That wasn't going to work, so I just drove her.

Perhaps SF, LA, NY, and etc have plenty of drivers available 24/7, but that's not the case in many areas like my own.
Depends on city ... yep....
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

dubshow wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:41 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:36 am

:wtf:

I burn more than 3 tanks a week.
ok boomer. :hue:

:trollface:
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:
brain go brrrrrr
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Yeah unless a driver waits in my driveway 24/7 like my cars do it's just not gonna work for me.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:37 pm
Depends where you live.

That's similar to what I experience, under 5 min wait every hour of the day, even 4AM for airport runs.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:51 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:37 pm

That's similar to what I experience, under 5 min wait every hour of the day, even 4AM for airport runs.
That’s for me from work. From home usually sub 10min even at whatever drug using hour
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Depends where you live.

:dat:

I am spoiled here as there's always a car 5-10 minutes away no matter the time. I tried to catch a ride home from a Luau on Kauai at 10PM and it seems there was only ONE uber driver on the island. Took him 90 minutes to show up. Almost the same thing in Nashville after 11pm, took about 45 minutes to get a ride, but in all honesty, there were a shitload of people in town and all were with me downtown drinking heavily so you're bound to get queued up.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:47 pm
Depends where you live.

:dat:

I am spoiled here as there's always a car 5-10 minutes away no matter the time. I tried to catch a ride home from a Luau on Kauai at 10PM and it seems there was only ONE uber driver on the island. Took him 90 minutes to show up. Almost the same thing in Nashville after 11pm, took about 45 minutes to get a ride, but in all honesty, there were a shitload of people in town and all were with me downtown drinking heavily so you're bound to get queued up.
Big island had no uber... :bs: Oahu had no issues with that whatsoever. :dat: Island pride man.
ChrisoftheNorth

Never been to Hawaii. :aintcare: too.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:50 pm Never been to Hawaii. :aintcare: too.
Once you go, you'll be asking yourself why you waited.

I hadn't gone either and never saw the attraction.... until we went. Now I've been back twice and will probably sneak in a week in this coming June between our DC and Nashville trips.
Desertbreh

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:56 pm

I hadn't gone either and never saw the attraction.... until we went. Now I've been back twice and will probably sneak in a week in this coming June between our DC and Nashville trips.
The natural beauty is epic but the food sucks except for the sashimi.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:57 pm

We found a couple places on Kauai we liked, which were more like eating at someone's house.. We always rent houses so we usually cook our own dinner. Maui had zero restaurants we liked and was overall way too crowded with tourists. Mostly the same with Ohau, but especially in the Waikiki area. FUCK THAT PLACE.
max225

:howdareyou: talk shit about plate lunch.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:02 pm

We found a couple places on Kauai we liked, which were more like eating at someone's house.. We always rent houses so we usually cook our own dinner. Maui had zero restaurants we liked and was overall way too crowded with tourists. Mostly the same with Ohau, but especially in the Waikiki area. FUCK THAT PLACE.
Wait I am about to book Maui... to get Status with Alaska... What changed with that place? It was about 1/3 of the crowds of Oahu... and yes fk Waikiki but only idiots go there.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Actually, I take that back about Maui...

Mama's Fish House in Paia was extremely good. Our server was amazing and knew the menu and all the substitutions for items they ran out of by memory and was on the ball for taking care of us. I made her cry pretty hard when I paid the $200 bill and put $800 in cash in the check. She got us another round of drinks and one of each dessert to take home. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Interesting.

It's a long ass flight for me...I have a hard time seeing how it's better than Puerto Rico. Similar in climate and geography. But I DGAF about beaches and shit.
max225

I suppose this forum is a safe space... but it can be actually an epic Retirement spot... Big island real estate is cheaper than detroit... :yikes:
Forget Oahu.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 94?view=qv

TWO FIDDY and you're fking done.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:05 pm

:howdareyou: talk shit about plate lunch.
People just don't care. I mean, it's fine, I think the $1.50 Costco hotdog with onions and mustard is one of the world's unsung heroes, so "local" Hawaiian food is fine, but if you think, "I'm going to this luxurious place it must surely have high end restaurants.......you've got another thing coming, for the most part.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.