Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:14 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:08 am

:iono: that's not the only one at that price point
I think that'd be a good option to drive for a bit while remaining in something sporty. My bro says he gets 30+ mpg in his but I'm not sure if it takes donkey piss or premium.
Oh? A few reviews have said it rides pretty nicely despite being the sporty one. Comments?

Golf TDI would be nice. Something like that. Good transmission, good torque for town driving, good economy on the highway but no balls up there but who cares, small car, soft suspension. But not doing another veedub. And really, diesel is super expensive around me so nah.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:16 am

I think that'd be a good option to drive for a bit while remaining in something sporty. My bro says he gets 30+ mpg in his but I'm not sure if it takes donkey piss or premium.
A low level brand with their lowest branded car has got to run on piss... otherwise :derp: s would :nuke: them
Have you driven one? They surprisingly don't suck. I expected full shitbox status. The only :disgust: was the rubber steering wheel and keyed ignition. It was quieter than any compact I've been in, rode great, awesome infotainment, comfy seats, etc. Sure, cheap plastics to be found and the window switches were sort of plain, but it was FAR from the bottom of the class.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:17 am

Oh? A few reviews have said it rides pretty nicely despite being the sporty one. Comments?

Golf TDI would be nice. Something like that. Good transmission, good torque for town driving, good economy on the highway but no balls up there but who cares, small car, soft suspension. But not doing another veedub. And really, diesel is super expensive around me so nah.
There was nothing soft about my tdi suspension. It rode just as hard as the gti. I actually uprated my wheels to 18s but couldn’t stand the ride and went back down to 17s. They ride quite sporty in the mk6 gen. Not sure about the mk7
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:19 am

There was nothing soft about my tdi suspension. It rode just as hard as the gti. I actually uprated my wheels to 18s but couldn’t stand the ride and went back down to 17s. They ride quite sporty in the mk6 gen. Not sure about the mk7
Ahhhh right the MK6 golf TDI shared the GTI suspension. I forgot that. My GTI rode like shit despite 17s.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Volt. I almost bought one this summer. They were LT models with Bose upgrade, heated leather seats + wheel, and the 2019 got power seats. They were $12k off sticker.
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:21 am

Volt. I almost bought one this summer. They were LT models with Bose upgrade, heated leather seats + wheel, and the 2019 got power seats. They were $12k off sticker.
Maybe. I'd never plug it in so I'd just drive it like a hybrid. Kind of defeats the purpose.
I like the wife's hybrid. Super quiet when its running on electrons.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:22 am

Maybe. I'd never plug it in so I'd just drive it like a hybrid. Kind of defeats the purpose.
Real talk, do you ever go anywhere outside of work and your house in the car on the regular ? At least out here, most public spaces and supermarkets/bigger restaurants now have charging.... having electric is a huge perk.
Last edited by max225 on Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Haven't driven it much but I think it rides a little softer than a GTI. I was surprised at how solid it felt too. It doesn't really feel like a cheap car.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

You might be able to put in at work either at your current place or a new one. My buddy in Raleigh works for a paving company and they let him run an extension chord to his car during the day. Plus with all your stop and go I'm sure the Regen would be fantastic. My dad's coworker gets and extra 20-30mi off Regen when derping around in the city.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:22 am Maybe. I'd never plug it in so I'd just drive it like a hybrid. Kind of defeats the purpose.
Real talk, do you ever go anywhere outside of work and your house in the car on the regular ? At least out here, most public spaces and supermarkets/bigger restaurants now have charging.... having electric is a huge perk.
Just Pay Area things...
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:32 am
max225 wrote:
Just Pay Area things...
I mean Tesla alone is selling 350k electric cars annually, they are not all here for sure. But I was watching tfl cars and Denver Area is packed with chargers also ... I figured any decent town is doing it right now
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:28 pm Spotted :notbad:

Nice find!

:melon: and his :poorvette:

Also :boner: :abubey:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:24 am

Occasional drive to whole foods but they don't have a charger at the local one. I walk everywhere else because of traffic and parking being a disaster. Chargers out here have been a slow adoption. Philly is too compact to install most places. Out in the burbs I guess they're more available.

I don't have an office where I will be "working."
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:28 am

You might be able to put in at work either at your current place or a new one. My buddy in Raleigh works for a paving company and they let him run an extension chord to his car during the day. Plus with all your stop and go I'm sure the Regen would be fantastic. My dad's coworker gets and extra 20-30mi off Regen when derping around in the city.
Work is a no go, there are no exterior plugs on the building and it's a far distance to the lot.
Home is a no go, no parking my side of the street.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:47 am
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:24 am

Occasional drive to whole foods but they don't have a charger at the local one. I walk everywhere else because of traffic and parking being a disaster. Chargers out here have been a slow adoption. Philly is too compact to install most places. Out in the burbs I guess they're more available.

A whole paycheck without electric charging ? Blasphemy !

I mean you drive so little that you only need to charge once a week. I wonder what could be done on that end
max225

Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:53 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:47 am

I mean you drive so little that you only need to charge once a week. I wonder what could be done on that end
:wrong:
I'm burning a tank a week now with the new job. Between the commute to the job site and off site meetings that are multiple hours away.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:50 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:28 am

Work is a no go, there are no exterior plugs on the building and it's a far distance to the lot.
Home is a no go, no parking my side of the street.
Dang. At least you have roast pork sammiches
max225

https://www.capitolhyundaisanjose.com/i ... h1lu004644

Lobsters are in... we have like 6 at this :dillerman: alone... odd that the PP pack on the highest level of performance doesn’t come with fixed calipers.

Overall :notbad: but I’d have a tough time picking it over a civic ...
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote:https://www.capitolhyundaisanjose.com/i ... h1lu004644

Lobsters are in... we have like 6 at this :dillerman: alone... odd that the PP pack on the highest level of performance doesn’t come with fixed calipers.

Curious if slanted H :dillerman: will be marking them up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:23 am
max225 wrote:https://www.capitolhyundaisanjose.com/i ... h1lu004644

Curious if slanted H :dillerman: will be marking them up.

They used to I think... hard to do when you have 6 on one lot with 4-6 more 10 min away
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:24 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:23 am Curious if slanted H :dillerman: will be marking them up.

They used to I think... hard to do when you have 6 on one lot with 4-6 more 10 min away
Never underestimate the greed of the average :dillerman:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:06 am https://www.capitolhyundaisanjose.com/i ... h1lu004644

Sliders for smaller track :ramz:

Max review? I think you've driven more of it's competition than anyone here recently.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:55 am
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:53 am

I'm burning a tank a week now with the new job. Between the commute to the job site and off site meetings that are multiple hours away.
:wtf:

I burn more than 3 tanks a week.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:36 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:55 am

:wtf:

I burn more than 3 tanks a week.
ok boomer. :hue:

:trollface: